Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2016, 10:48   #2086
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Thanks to both of you for the insight. Mostly my rides would be on highways & other long winding roads. So we can safely assume speeds in excess. In such scenario, on naked bikes the riding posture would be crouched on the tank. As I'm not using windscreen as of now, full blast is felt on the helmet face.
So I'd take it you will be in the upright to 3/4tuck riding position. Even in this case I would not recommend a race helmet meant for supersports where one will have to be in the 3/4 to full tuck riding position.

Quote:
Can you pls elaborate on Shark Speed R & Race R/Pro? From what I can gather Speed R has better wind noise insulation, but fogging is an issue. Is Race R/PRO suitable with naked bikes?
No experience with the Race R since I do not know anyone who owns it, but the helmet must be good, still I'd suggest sticking to the Speed R in your case as it is designed to work best with naked bikes. The helmet will come with pinlock posts so get a pinlock insert (if it doesn't already come with the helmet) and never worry about fogging. The visor is excellent in terms of visibility, distortion and is even thicker in the middle if you ever get caught up in a road rage induced headbutt The mechanism also makes it easy to remove and install the visor.

Quote:
Also starting range for a decent ARAI? How is RX-Q?
Arais are quite frankly overpriced. RX-Q is a great helmet especially for naked bikes, very comfy, very quite and excellent peripheral visibility. Should cost about 60 grand in India. The Suomy Apex that I had recommended earlier matches the Arai in terms of quality and comfort, comes with the same brilliant non-ratcheting visor mechanism as in Arais which lets you decide exactly how much you want to leave the visor open of shut. Most importantly, the Suomy Apex is also much lighter all this at about half the price, leaving you with more cash to invest on different visors, pinlock inserts, padding etc.

EDIT: Do check out the Nolan X-Lite 702 GT. The GT model is newer so it should come with better interior padding perhaps even in-line with their top of the range helmets. It comes with an ACU Gold Star so it is track ready and as safe as it gets, it is also a very versatile helmet for naked bikes, with wide peripheral vision, excellent venting, great comfort and good noise insulation, most importantly, they are very light as well. X-Lites are also handmade in Italy so quality is as good as it gets. If my X-Lite X-802R is anything to go by, the interior padding should be the best you can get. Better than anything out there including Arais in terms of comfort, sweat wicking, and staying fresh. X-Lites will also come with pinlock insert free straight out of the box. Should be around 35 grand.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 23rd June 2016 at 11:12.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 12:05   #2087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would be looking at the offerings from Bell/Shark/Shoei too.
I just picked up my 2nd Shoei GT Air Touring (replacing the one fully "destructive tested" personally in a high speed spill back in May 2015 - Thanks God that I am still typing this -). It probably may be out of range of the prices being discussed. Just to put it in perspective the details are as below;

Name:  GT Air.png
Views: 3278
Size:  85.2 KB

For comparison the AGV K5 is as below

Name:  AGV K5.png
Views: 3281
Size:  133.3 KB

From Italy - the most competitive price I saw. Catch was that I had to ship it through EU address.

I use a K3 as well in India. Shoei is definitely quieter. Comfort levels are comparable and once broken in both fit snuggly.

Price - even allowing for advantage on numbers and ease of imports etc. I am often amazed at prices being offered by some "Indian Importers" for some of these internationally well accepted brands. I always wonder how they do it and also I think I would be pardoned if I question if the product is really genuine.

http://www.wheelup.it/gb_en/gt-air-p...met-32738.html

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 23rd June 2016 at 12:12.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 18:28   #2088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

EDIT: Do check out the Nolan X-Lite 702 GT. The GT model is newer so it should come with better interior padding perhaps even in-line with their top of the range helmets. Should be around 35 grand.

Just enquired about 702GT, it retails above 50K, is it carbon? Was not able to see it. Another helmet, I found good during try-out was AIROH GP500. It's super light 1350gms, snug fit and I really loved it. Two variants available and one with less graphics(Millenium Black) can be had for 40k odd & CAPIROSSI for 50K odd. Any views on this brand?

Shark Speed R is pretty heavy, let me try more samples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
I just picked up my 2nd Shoei GT Air Touring
For comparison the AGV K5 is as below

Price - even allowing for advantage on numbers and ease of imports etc. I am often amazed at prices being offered by some "Indian Importers" for some of these internationally well accepted brands. I always wonder how they do it and also I think I would be pardoned if I question if the product is really genuine.

Ram
AGV K5 retails for 27+ here at cochin. & Shoei easily crosses 50K. Seems retailers are making a killing in these products or is it taxes? Didn't get your remark about genuineness??

Last edited by Vasuki : 23rd June 2016 at 18:49.
Old 23rd June 2016, 18:45   #2089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just enquired about 702GT, it retails above 50K, is it carbon? Was not able to see it. Another helmet, I found good during try-out was AIROH GP500. It's super light 1350gms, snug fit and I really loved it. Two variants available and one with less graphics(Millenium Black) can be had for 40k odd & CAPIROSSI for 50K odd. Any views on this brand?

Shark Speed R is pretty heavy, let me try more samples.
Ouch that's a steep price to pay for the X-Lite but I can vouch for the brand's awesome products. It does come with a tricomposite blend of carbon fibre, kevlar and aramid fibres. Don't know much about that particular model of the Airoh GP500, but noticed it was nearly as light as my X-802R which is said to be the lightest track certified lid, yet never heard of the GP500 when researching my lid or checking online comparos, quick internet search revealed that it only comes with an ECE rating no Snell m2005/m2010 or ACU Gold Star rating. It is a race lid and from the few reviews I could gather online, one of the complaints were too much pressure on the forehead over long rides. Considering it is light but only comes with an ECE rating, why not go for the Suomy Apex? It is much cheaper and does all of the above with the added versatility of being a great touring lid and several reviews that can vouch for its comfort and quality. Have you checked out the Suomy yet? Eager to hear what you think of it

EDIT
: Quick search online revealed my suspicions: your source/store is probably trying to push you to buy the less recommended Airoh perhaps to get rid of stocks (never seen such a race focussed lid with no ACU or Snell rating). The X-702 GT can be imported for about 33 grand including customs (that was just the first result that popped up on google which I checked) and delivery charges, and a glance over bikegear.in's website revealed that they are selling the product in India between 30k for solids and 37.5k for full graphics. http://bikegear.in/x-lite-x-702-gt-s...20x%20702%20gt IMO you should really give it a shot considering it is a well equipped lid, X-Lite products are all among the lightest out there and it comes with ECE and ACU Gold star track certification meaning its about as safe as it gets. Try it out at a store, see if you like the fit (keep in mind that the helmet will need to break in) and buy it online

Last edited by IshaanIan : 23rd June 2016 at 19:08.
Old 23rd June 2016, 22:06   #2090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AGV K5 retails for 27+ here at cochin. & Shoei easily crosses 50K. Seems retailers are making a killing in these products or is it taxes? Didn't get your remark about genuineness??
OK. What I meant was that if India retailers are selling below the international prices, then there should be a big question mark on the genuineness of the product.

But now that you have indicated the retail prices, I stand corrected on that count.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Old 4th July 2016, 13:51   #2091
BHPian

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

After a lot of deliberation and research bought my MT BLADE helmet today. As you shut the visor there is a significant reduction from the environmental noise. With the upper vents open there is a wee bit of wind noise. It's snug fit and the cushions are good.

MT has come up with a cheaper version to compete with the competition. Costing Rs. 4150/- this is called MT MUGELLO. It has the same visors as that of the BLADE and also has the pin lock feature. The shell and cushioning are a little different and I opted for the BLADE for two reasons.

1. My ears weren't comfortable in the MUGELLO. My right ear especially. May be it's due to my heads shape

2. The lining in the BLADE was soft and very comfortable. The lining on the MUGELLO is good except for the mesh type feel near the forehead which when rubbing on my forehead was irritating.

I bought the MT BLADE from HEAD GEAR, Anna Salai, Chennai for Rs. 6250/- the shop is opposite to the thousand lights mosque and next to Rainbow helmets and Life Care helmet shops.

Posting some pics of my Helmet:

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1467620320.575727.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1467620343.735606.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1467620425.651457.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1467620442.230247.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1467620454.711350.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1467620471.300335.jpg

Last edited by Jude300 : 4th July 2016 at 13:53.
Jude300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 14:15   #2092
Senior - BHPian

Had a fall on the highway, from which my Vega protected me well. However, the Visor needs to be changed now - as there are too many scratches on it now.

Any online shops that will deliver visors in Ahmedabad? Or even stores here would help. Tried two stores till now, and they din't seem to have this one in stock. Yet to hear back from them about the stocks too.
Old 4th July 2016, 15:36   #2093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Had a fall on the highway, from which my Vega protected me well. However, the Visor needs to be changed now - as there are too many scratches on it now.

Any online shops that will deliver visors in Ahmedabad? Or even stores here would help. Tried two stores till now, and they din't seem to have this one in stock. Yet to hear back from them about the stocks too.
Word of advice

Please replace the helmet after a fall. A helmet is designed to protect you by failing instead. Even if it looks intact please replace it.
sridhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 22:40   #2094
BHPian

Quote:
Had a fall on the highway, from which my Vega protected me well.
I had a motocross style vega helmet. sometime in 2014 I passed out while riding and hit the ground headlong very badly. Vega being highly advanced, flexed so much that the elongated chin cut my bridge of the nose. Apart from that, a heavy blow to my neck has been causing problems ever since. IMO it is better to avoid low cost made in India helmets no matter how patriotic you are.
I own a MT Revenge now. Though its definitely going to be on the costlier side, do invest on a good headgear now and you will thank me later.
Old 5th July 2016, 10:35   #2095
Senior - BHPian

Finally Bought an MT Optimus quest, flip type modular helmet.

Things I like
  • Its a flip
  • Doesn't Come with the complicated D ring strap and has a quick release strap
  • The fit is great
  • The air vents are really functional
  • Love the color combo
  • Over all fit and finish
  • Wind noise is close to nill

Things I don't like
  • Visor has a lot of glare, it went to a point that I could no longer ride with the visor down
  • Its not as snug fit as other MT
  • its heavy at 2+ KG
  • The helmet mists very quickly at lower speeds, despite having a breath deflector

The purchase price was superb, got it for 5100 since it was the last piece, though they removed the visor sticker in front of me and also cleaned it using a spray but I feel there are a lot of scratches in the visor. Reminds me of my first Nike Shoes in the 90s which dad got me for 5k, I was scared to wear it, I might go for a lower range Kronos for 3.5k for my daily use. The ride back home yesterday was fun, its only after I saw the speedo I realised the speeds I was doing, the helmet is really performing well, despite of high cross winds yesterday.

Pramod
Old 5th July 2016, 11:43   #2096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
[*]Doesn't Come with the complicated D ring strap and has a quick release strap
Double D rings are actually a advantage, as they ensure the helmet is secured and fastened in any eventuality. Its not complicated when one gets used to it and barely takes any time to fasten.

I'd encourage all my biker friends and tbhp members to invest in good headgear (preferably with D ring fasteners) and riding gear too.
Aniket6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 12:02   #2097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Word of advice

Please replace the helmet after a fall. A helmet is designed to protect you by failing instead. Even if it looks intact please replace it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
IMO it is better to avoid low cost made in India helmets no matter how patriotic you are.
The fall has damaged only the visor and not the shell - not even minor scratches. Does it still warrant a change?

And This Vega cost me 3.7K when I got it in December 2013, which was certainly not cheap for my pocket. And I saw the certification, nothing to do with patriotism here, infact I hadn't thought about it in that angle till you reminded me

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-wp_20160423_007.jpg
Old 5th July 2016, 13:05   #2098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
Double D rings are actually a advantage, as they ensure the helmet is secured and fastened in any eventuality. Its not complicated when one gets used to it and barely takes any time to fasten.

I'd encourage all my biker friends and tbhp members to invest in good headgear (preferably with D ring fasteners) and riding gear too.
Agree with you, its an added safety feature but its more track oriented and not really necessary of commuter/ touring situations. I know the importance of Good head gear, everybody thought I am crazy for buying a 5K helmet, especially since my daily ride is a 27 year old Yamaha rx 100. I agree its just a matter of getting used to a D ring fastener but to me now that doesn't make sense, I will buy a more track oriented helmet once I start hitting the track after I upgrade to a much bigger machine.

The MT helmet that I bought is DOT certified, if the quick release strap was so bad, I am sure it won't get certified. There are a lot more parts in the body than the head which are equally important, and I would personally spend my time effort and money on protecting those than actually debating on the pros and cons of D Ring. To me it too much of a hassle and I believe its not a show stopper.

Just my 2 cents.

Pramod
Old 5th July 2016, 13:27   #2099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
[*]Wind noise is close to nill
Seriously???

*There are basically only two types of motorcycle helmets: Loud and Louder*

Source: Webbikeworld

The only helmet that has "Noise close to Nil" are helmets used in Space probably.

I can agree - Helmets can be "relatively" Quieter. But close to Nil? is only an imagination.

Cheers! ride safe!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 14:32   #2100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post

*There are basically only two types of motorcycle helmets: Loud and Louder*
MT helmets might be comparatively better. Past 80 Kmph, wind noise is certainly present.

Quote:
The fall has damaged only the visor and not the shell - not even minor scratches. Does it still warrant a change?
We will wait for opinions from experts. I have similar doubts too. If the shell is not abraded badly, it should be good enough another light to medium impact. Again this is just my thoughts.

Quote:

And This Vega cost me 3.7K when I got it in December 2013, which was certainly not cheap for my pocket. And I saw the certification, nothing to do with patriotism here...
I never knew Vega made such helmets. The one you have certainly looks better. Anyway that was a failed attempt in sarcasm . This was taken after the accident.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-dsc_0914.jpg  

Last edited by Zappo : 5th July 2016 at 14:58. Reason: Please use the multiquote button to respond to everyone in a post. All back to back posts merged.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks