Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2016, 18:01   #2161
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

I have a rare problem with my helmet: the right visor lock on my Sparx has broken due to mishandling by a friend while opening the visor. Any leads where I can get a replacement? Or if anyone has an otherwise damaged Sparx with this part in working condition. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-unknown5.jpg  

Last edited by dreamseller : 16th September 2016 at 18:05.
Old 19th October 2016, 16:30   #2162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
A very sad story as a life is lost on the Kari Speedway.
Parents sue helmet manufacturer MT helmets. Scary especially considering I just bought a 5 star Sharp rated lid from them.

https://www.rushlane.com/rider-dies-...medium=twitter
Thought this was a relevant thing to be discussed here.

I have been using MT helmet for last 2 years or so, i assume i was fortunate to get the original "Revenge" model that received all the great 5* ratings and review internationally. Even while purchasing i made sure i did close inspection of each part to see if it is the real stuff or cheap imitation. Things like finish of visor, the locks, moved the liner to see how the stuff beneath is etc (yes it had QC stickers and marks there). Before all this i did read up and had gone through many reviews and ratings before finalizing the brand and model.

Over the last 2 years i noticed the following also, MT as a brand was kinda talk of the town. They were good looking, comfortable and pretty light on the wallet. Revenge was the model that got 5 * rating, but since most of the other models like blade also had DOT and ECE approvals on them, am assuming people did not think too much before buying the lid. Ofcourse Revenge is almost out of production and is not available for purchase in India (Edit: saw it online, so i guess its still on. EDIT 2: i doubt they are original, front logo and DOT ECE stickers seems fishy), even some international sites and MT's own site has listed it as outgoing model "only till stocks last".

Coming back to the sad incident above, a point to note is- No matter how good a helmet you have there are situations or impacts that will eventually crack or break the helmet shell. Mind you they have to and are designed so, that helps disperse the energy of impact, if not it will get transferred inwards and damage the grey matters more. Anyways let us not get too much into the science of helmets and extent of the damage in this case.

The above mentioned pictures were floating in many of the Whatsapp group and discussions raging, what caught my attention was the model name. This can be seen above the MT/DOT sticker at the back. It says "axxis", and out of curiosity i started a google search for the ratings of this model. Surprisingly the only results i got were listings from indian ecom sites, went till about 3rd page of google search results and found nothing else.

So am i right in the following conclusions?

The axxis model is either a replica/fake? Or is it a sub standard model that is not sold anywhere else by MT? Mind you these are sold by very reputed online ecomm site like spartan, so maybe it is some renamed / discontinued series from MT also?

My learning from this even while buying from reputed brands, do try to dig in deeper and double triple check the specifics. And beyond a limit even a good safety gear might not really save you from serious injury to yourself. So ride safe!

Condolences and prayers to the family of this young boy :(

EDIT: One of the reason i doubt the authenticity is, the DOT and ECE rating stickers on the helmet, usually they are standardized and would not change the font etc, which is not the case in the images of the broken helmet.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th October 2016 at 17:01.
Jaggu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 16:35   #2163
Senior - BHPian

Which is the cheap and best helmet?
Old 20th October 2016, 08:12   #2164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Very true, this thread is more apt for it.

Quote:
i doubt they are original, front logo and DOT ECE stickers seems fishy), even some international sites and MT's own site has listed it as outgoing model "only till stocks last".
The front 3D logo is present in all the new helmets being rolled out and is a welcome addition to aid in the aesthetics factor. Even I had noticed that the revenge was not commonly available in international websites, but as they are supplied by a reputable seller like spartanprogear, I trusted their website which reiterates that this is a 5* certified model.
Quote:
Even while purchasing i made sure i did close inspection of each part to see if it is the real stuff or cheap imitation. Things like finish of visor, the locks, moved the liner to see how the stuff beneath is etc (yes it had QC stickers and marks there).
I did the same when I bought it, it has QC stickers on the liners too.

Quote:
Mind you they have to and are designed so, that helps disperse the energy of impact, if not it will get transferred inwards and damage the grey matters more. Anyways let us not get too much into the science of helmets and extent of the damage in this case.
Couldn't agree with you more. No helmet can guarantee you'll survive any sort of crash/impact, they are meant merely to absorb the force of the impact that otherwise would have gone directly to the skull. No point in delving into which helmet(standardized by rating) would have taken the impact better.

As if right on cue, a good friend of mine called me up and asked me to inspect the Revenge thoroughly as some of his friends who had purchased them from Chennai saw that the thermocol(polystyrene?) layer has started cracking. All four five helmets purchased were from a sep 2016 batch and had similar issues. I promptly removed all the inner liners and checked thoroughly for something similar and couldn't find anything(Mine is June 2016 batch)

Attaching the pics of the cracked layer for reference, requesting all MT owners to thoroughly inspect the lids and contact the company in case you find any issues.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20161020wa0002.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20161020wa0003.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20161020wa0004.jpg

Ride safe

Last edited by Roomy : 20th October 2016 at 08:13.
Roomy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 21:49   #2165
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea where I can try and buy Arai or Shoei helmets in Bangalore? I need an upgrade.
Old 21st October 2016, 18:45   #2166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Which is the cheap and best helmet?
There is nothing like "cheap and best". If you want cheap helmets you buy one of those "rishab" or "rohan" helmets that you find on the footpath, but they offer no protection whatsoever.

If you want something better, you can go for those full face helmets like vega, ryder etc which will cost around 800-900 Rs in any decent helmet shops in JC road or you can buy them online.

If you extend your budget you can buy LS2, SOL, MT etc.
Old 22nd October 2016, 20:31   #2167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Any idea where I can try and buy Arai or Shoei helmets in Bangalore? I need an upgrade.

Ramana,
Are you looking for DUal Purpose helmets or regular ones?
Big Bear had a good collection when I visited them last. Do check them out.
Old 22nd October 2016, 21:52   #2168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Ramana,
Are you looking for DUal Purpose helmets or regular ones?
Big Bear had a good collection when I visited them last. Do check them out.
Not dual purpose. I have done a lot of reading on helmets the past couple of weeks, since I haven't gotten any riding in.

Dual purpose is a compromise really. Like big adv bikes. I noticed that my riding style was 98% tarmac. So a good touring lid is what I wanted.

Next I shortlisted brands down to Arai, Shoei, and Schuberth. I was just simply more comfortable with these brands and knowing where they were made. I am also the kind who buys good stuff, once, and then it's a decade before its replaced.

I understood that both Arai and Shoei have a history with race helmets and not so much touring lids. What's important in a touring lid is comfort and noise reduction, as well as weight. 500-800 mile days should be easy. So after reading up on different Shoei and Arai lids (I liked the Shoei gt air), I dropped them off my list.

That left me with the schuberth. I did look hard at the new e1, but it draws in a lot more air and consequently is much louder. Any dual sport lid will be louder than a traditional lid without peak and a HUGE chin vent. E1 is available at Orion. Expensive but available to try.

So I doubled back to the c3 pro... And schuberth has gone ahead and released an update. The c4. Fantastic lid from the limited info available online. Looks like folks who were looking to get a c3 pro, have now deferred their wait for the new c4. I will do the same. Or snag a c3 pro on a close out?

I think I will also enjoy the modular feature. Conversations with locals with a full face is impossible. I think modular is the way to go when touring. Add the internal sun visor, and I don't have to keep removing my sun glasses every time it rains. That was hell during the intermittent monsoons the last few months.

I wear an hjc cl 17 now. Have cancelled my mobile phone upgrade in lieu of this buy.

Sorry about the diatribe.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 00:31   #2169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Jay

You've raised some very valid points on this subject.

Many don't realize that a Street use Helmet and a Racing Helmet are two different breeds though essentially both are same animal.

The following is relevant here I think.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-fim-helmet.jpg

As per the date of the meeting, you can see that FIM is taking an active role to set some minimum standards on this.

Also generally its believed that a "Snell" certified one is a better one overall (I know its a debatable issue). See the following bit I had collected from somewhere a while ago (cant recall from where)

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-helmet-std.jpg

You may know that I am doing what I am doing today is because of my Shoei.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 24th October 2016 at 00:33.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 16:12   #2170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not dual purpose.
Dear Ramana,
Check this link out.
This was the helmet that I was referring to.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...-carbon-helmet

The helmet has its share of features and I insist you must have a look at it once before you buy it. The beak once removed makes it a full rounded helmet with no prominent chin.

The other helmet that I would also recommend is the Shark Modular helmet. Now this is another cool helmet which just does not give one an impression that its a modular helmet.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...t-hakka-helmet

These are real cool stuff and you ought to see them in flesh atleast once before you finalize on any one option.

In other words, both these helmets do much more roles than just being a road helmet.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 16:25   #2171
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
You can look for agv K3, K5, pista for touring! They do a good job and internationally acclaimed for their products.
Old 24th October 2016, 16:25   #2172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Dear Ramana,
Check this link out.
This was the helmet that I was referring to.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...-carbon-helmet

The helmet has its share of features and I insist you must have a look at it once before you buy it. The beak once removed makes it a full rounded helmet with no prominent chin.

The other helmet that I would also recommend is the Shark Modular helmet. Now this is another cool helmet which just does not give one an impression that its a modular helmet.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...t-hakka-helmet

These are real cool stuff and you ought to see them in flesh atleast once before you finalize on any one option.

In other words, both these helmets do much more roles than just being a road helmet.
Mahesh! I think I have to take you out.

I didn't know these guys dealt with shark. This is a fantastic lid and something I was eyeing for a long time. But I have been unable to get my size to fit. I did try a small at biking spirit but it felt a bit loose. I wanted to try a size smaller.

I will call these guys and go visit them for a tryout in the next couple of days. Will check out the other shark collection they have too. Not fussy about modular, but the internal sun visor is a must.

Many thanks again Mahesh for taking the time to point me in the right direction.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 17:06   #2173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
There is nothing like "cheap and best". If you want cheap helmets you buy one of those "rishab" or "rohan" helmets that you find on the footpath, but they offer no protection whatsoever.

If you want something better, you can go for those full face helmets like vega, ryder etc which will cost around 800-900 Rs in any decent helmet shops in JC road or you can buy them online.

If you extend your budget you can buy LS2, SOL, MT etc.
Thanks, it is not for me.

I want to gift it to a person (daily wage worker) who currently uses a plastic construction helmet. I never seen him riding without this plastic helmet, and I know he will use it if I gift one. I cannot afford to gift him a LS2/SOL/MT, and helmet should be safe if it is left unattended on his two wheeler handle for few minutes.
Latheesh is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 20:43   #2174
Distinguished - BHPian

Spoke to the guys at big Bear, they don't stock my size, only large and medium. Also their prices are extremely exorbitant, even more expensive than high note performance in Delhi who also stock shark. Sometimes high note puts up a 10-20% discount on the lids, and it does make sense to wait until then.

I just want to try the lid in my size perfectly, before I try and place an order abroad. Or else I have to travel abroad to try and buy.

Helmets in India are a sad sad story. Thanks to the idiotic custom duties that are prevalent, and you can't even order a lid to get it shipped in. Does the government expect an Indian company to test helmets in a wind tunnel and have it sharp certified? Who are they trying to protect with these absurd and archaic East India company era policies. This is why people in India jugaad their way out of everything, and is the reason why this country takes 20 years to get to a place which should take just 5.

Morons with a capital M.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 22:13   #2175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Thanks, it is not for me.

I want to gift it to a person (daily wage worker) who currently uses a plastic construction helmet. I never seen him riding without this plastic helmet, and I know he will use it if I gift one. I cannot afford to gift him a LS2/SOL/MT, and helmet should be safe if it is left unattended on his two wheeler handle for few minutes.
Sorry man, for a minute I thought it was for you. In that case, there are a few full face helmets available for 400-500 Rs. You can check at metro cash and carry

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks