Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2016, 10:49   #2191
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Ramana,
Are you looking for DUal Purpose helmets or regular ones?
Big Bear had a good collection when I visited them last. Do check them out.
Got an AGV K5! Initial feedback:

Ventilation is brilliant. Air flow . Closing the shield, I don't find it claustrophobic at all. I could not ride with a closed shield in the hjc. Marvelous difference. I don't find it warm inside after putting the shield on the city detent. City rides with the main shield down is de rigeur now. But there is a bit of a roaring noise inside the helmet because of all air flow through all the vents (6). Yet to close all vents and experiment. Chin Curtain is standard.

The inner sun visor is perfect for the sun. Just light enough for me to see the GPS or the dashboard.

Visor Detents are sure and the visor slots very welll. The entire lid doesnt shake around when you move the visor up or down. It comes BT speaker installation ready, however if you dont have one, you can close off the speaker recesses with ear pads which have been provided. You also get two different sets of detent clips, which if changed to, allows you to choose different detent styles. This was thoughtful.

The inner padding is quite nice. Nothing to complain about. I wish the neck roll had even more padding (individual ask). I have a Small Lid (size 55-56). I am a 55 on the dot. I will probably experiment with other inner cheek pad sizes (you get 4 different sizes to match your fit) once what I have breaks in fully.

And the lid is extremely light thanks to its carbon fiber composite construction. Was very easy to look around and check out the pretty things you pass by.

The AGV K5 is being replaced by the K5S. The S is pretty much the exact same shell, with different inner padding, as well as a new pinlock integrated visor (which is something I will upgrade to once its available). The K5 does not have a pin lock ready shield (gripe). I can bet that the K5S shield will be a direct bolt on to the K5.

I am now beginning to understand and appreciate the differences between a lid that costs INR 10k MSRP and something that's INR 30k MSRP. Both do the same job, its the "how" that matters.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-whatsapp-image-20161107-10.32.24.jpeg  

Last edited by Red Liner : 7th November 2016 at 11:11.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 10:22   #2192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Red, would you mind revealing the avenue from where you sourced this lid ? I myself am looking to
upgrade & my skull size is in ball-park of yours. Most physical store's I tried seem to stock lids in L,
XL & beyond.
Old 8th November 2016, 10:48   #2193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
Red, would you mind revealing the avenue from where you sourced this lid ? I myself am looking to
upgrade & my skull size is in ball-park of yours. Most physical store's I tried seem to stock lids in L,
XL & beyond.
Dainese/AGV store in Orion Mall - official importers. They stock all the sizes.
Old 9th November 2016, 11:11   #2194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am now beginning to understand and appreciate the differences between a lid that costs INR 10k MSRP and something that's INR 30k MSRP. Both do the same job, its the "how" that matters.
Congrats Ramana. Did you pay 30K for this helmet?

It's going for just $267 (~18K) on Revzilla on a closeout sale and I have advised a friend to pick it up and get it delivered to India and he is getting it on Nov 20th. Now I'm tempted to get one for myself too
Old 9th November 2016, 11:38   #2195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the new lid.

I am looking at replacing my existing K3 its almost 5 years old, K5 seems to be next logical upgrade

1. Does the helmet have pockets/space to put speakers? The K3 has no space to put my Sena comm kit's speakers, had to do some DIY to make it work.

2. Does K5 have variants without the internal sun visor ?
Old 9th November 2016, 15:48   #2196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Congrats on the new lid.

I am looking at replacing my existing K3 its almost 5 years old, K5 seems to be next logical upgrade

1. Does the helmet have pockets/space to put speakers? The K3 has no space to put my Sena comm kit's speakers, had to do some DIY to make it work.

2. Does K5 have variants without the internal sun visor ?
Yes, the k5 comes speaker install ready.

No, you will have to get the k4 evo which doesn't have a sun visor. All k5 comes with the IS.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 16:16   #2197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Congrats on the new lid.

I suggest you to check out the HJC RPHA 10. Pricing of the both should be similar, comes with all the features of top end helmets like shoei, arai..etc. Excellent noise insulation too. I use both AGV K3and HJC RPHA 10, Without a doubt i will pick my HJC when am going for a longer ride/weekend ride. Also I know of a person who uses both AGV K5 and RPHA, his feedback is similar to mine.

One advantage with K5 compared to Rpha10 is its weight. K5 or even k3sv is lighter compared to Rpha10. But overall finish, liners, noise insulation, ventilation Rpha is much better than K5/K3sv
harsha.muvva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2016, 11:19   #2198
BHPian

Hi guys,
So I have this harley-davidson branded helmet.The helmet is fine,however,the visor is pretty scuffed up and greatly reduces visibility while riding after sunset.Where can I get a replacement visor for it?
For reference I am attaching pictures of the quick release mechanism of the helmet and if it helps to know,my helmet size is xxl.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-helmet.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20161112_110236.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20161112_110250.jpg
Thank you
Abhishek
Old 12th November 2016, 21:42   #2199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek3001 View Post
Hi guys,
So I have this harley-davidson branded helmet.The helmet is fine,however,the visor is pretty scuffed up and greatly reduces visibility while riding after sunset.Where can I get a replacement visor for it?
I was told that full faced Harley Davidson helmets are actually rebranded KBC helmets. Might be worthwhile to see if KBC / Sparx visors are a straight fit.
Old 12th November 2016, 22:20   #2200
BHPian

Hi guys,

I have a 4 year old LS2, limited edition which came with a shaded visor. After accumulating scratches over the years recently changed to clear visor. But I feel it's too bright under the afternoon sun. Is it possible to get a 3M sun-film over the visor, so that it shields harmful UV-rays?
Old 13th November 2016, 09:11   #2201
Team-BHP Support

Bought these two helmets yesterday. MT Revenge for myself, and HJC CS14 Suna MC1 for the better half.

HJC was priced at Rs 6000/- while the MT was priced at Rs 6750/-

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_4269_800.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_4271_800.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2016, 09:21   #2202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Bought these two helmets yesterday. MT Revenge for myself, and HJC CS14 Suna MC1 for the better half.

HJC was priced at Rs 6000/- while the MT was priced at Rs 6750/-
Both nice helmets but what colour is the bike? I'm asking because of the totally different colours of the helmets.
Old 13th November 2016, 09:27   #2203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Both nice helmets but what colour is the bike? I'm asking because of the totally different colours of the helmets.
Good question.

Colour is matte black. Its for a Versys 650, and my helmet (MT) is more like it with a small splash for green.

However, getting a comfortable fit and size for her was a concern. She didn't like the options available in SOL, ZEUS, MT etc and hence the HJC was chosen which wasn't available with a matching colour finish. Doesn't matter much though as she would only be joining for rides occasionally.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2016, 21:30   #2204
BHPian

STEAL DEAL: HJC FG-17 Mamba Black comes home!

Just picked up a HJC FG-17 Mamba Black from www.motorcyclegear.com on a closeout deal for just 99USD ~ 6850INR only.

India price is 18000INR at PRS. The helmet was carried down by my cousin. Had hard time convincing her to carry it down.

I brought L sized (59-60cms). I usually use L sized MT Blade and Sparx. But this helmet is very snug when I wore it for the the first time. Felt pressure points at forehead. Hope over usage period the helmet will break in making it a bit easy for me to live with. Weight is just right. Not to heavy and not too light.

With DOT and SNELL certification its a steal deal for the price I paid

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-15002515_10210979689268940_1507043592852736480_o.jpg
akshayhonda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2016, 22:34   #2205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
while the MT was priced at Rs 6750/-

Attachment 1575293
I purchased or rather ordered from SPG website the same model and same size but in gloss Orange and black shade. I wanted the yellow one like yours but it was not available on the website in M size. So ordered orange color. Where did you get yours from?

Most Viewed