Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2017, 04:34   #2251
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
I was using MT Blade helmet for the last six months. Since last week I am having crushing pain on head and neck. At first I thought it may be due to AC in office. But that was not the case. Then for a couple of days I wore my old local helmet. Not surprisingly the pain vanished.
My head size is small and I was using medium size. Maybe the weight didn't suit me.
Now I have purchase a Vega helmet (off road) type. No pain since the new purchase.
I do miss the snug fit, air and noise protection of my Blade. But the fear of neck pain is keeping me away from it.
Anyone here faced similar problems?
Yesterday my girlfriend complained of neck pain after riding pillion wearing a Kranos helmet (bought temporarily until we find a better option) on my RC390. She asked me if I ever got any neck pain from wearing my helmet for long durations of time and I don't recall ever having such issues. Then she said it could be because she was pushing her head backward constantly in order not to bump into my helmet and we both agreed that that must have been the cause. This got me thinking, what if you wear a helmet like the MT Blade which is designed for street sport usage and works well in the 3/4 to full tuck position, but ride an upright or naked bike? Does that upright position with a helmet that's designed to be tilted, mess up your neck?
Old 6th February 2017, 09:49   #2252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

Does that upright position with a helmet that's designed to be tilted, mess up your neck?
Good point worth pondering.
In fact my ride is a scooter ( Aprilia SR150). So what you mentioned could be the culprit. In any case I have stopped using it and now using a regular Vega helmet. So far things are fine.
Thanks.
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 17:55   #2253
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Yesterday my girlfriend complained of neck pain after riding pillion wearing a Kranos helmet (bought temporarily until we find a better option) on my RC390. She asked me if I ever got any neck pain from wearing my helmet for long durations of time and I don't recall ever having such issues. Then she said it could be because she was pushing her head backward constantly in order not to bump into my helmet and we both agreed that that must have been the cause. This got me thinking, what if you wear a helmet like the MT Blade which is designed for street sport usage and works well in the 3/4 to full tuck position, but ride an upright or naked bike? Does that upright position with a helmet that's designed to be tilted, mess up your neck?
Thanks for the info. I was planning to purchase due to its 5 star safety rating.

1. So when riding a street bike like Duke 390, would it cause neck pain?

2. What's your opinion about other MT helmets?
Old 11th February 2017, 21:43   #2254
Senior - BHPian

Just got the Shoei NCR/RF1200. Wanted a white helmet after owning a series of black and Matt Black helmets.
A close friend had recently bought a similar helmet in L size from Australia. So I tried it.
Figured I needed a XL. Placed the order online. Got it in 20 days flat. Yes a large customs duty was slapped on it but totally worth the net price.

Fits perfectly. Feels very safe and snug. The elements of its construction are so beautiful and wonderfully engineered. Pinlock screen works as expected.
This fits way way better that the last Shoei I owned.
This is a major issue with these helmets. When I tried the L size helmet I knew that it was very tight but fitted my head in terms of shape. Read a lot online about the differences in the shape of the NXR and the GT Air. Hence knew that the NXR is the one for me.
My last Shoei was a longer oval like the GT Air. Which was a bit odd in fitment.
Overall I'm very happy with my purchase. Great value for money.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20170211_213457.jpg  

navpreet318 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 22:22   #2255
BHPian

Got this in Whatsapp today. Dainese/AGV showroom opened near Ambassador Pallava Hotel, Egmore.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-officialdainesestorenowinchennai2.jpg  

deerhunter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 11:34   #2256
BHPian

Has anyone tried to wrap a sun film around a helmet ? I am planning to get my helmet wrapped in 3M CR70 helmet so that it can block some heat from the sun. Will 3M sell a small piece of the film for me?
Old 14th February 2017, 12:30   #2257
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Has anyone tried to wrap a sun film around a helmet ? I am planning to get my helmet wrapped in 3M CR70 helmet so that it can block some heat from the sun. Will 3M sell a small piece of the film for me?
Why not just buy such a visor?

I use two visors on my helmet. One clear and another dark one.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 10:50   #2258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Why not just buy such a visor?

I use two visors on my helmet. One clear and another dark one.
I use a very ordinary helmet [ISI marked and full face Vega helmet] . Though I can use 2 visors, I am planning to wrap a protective sun film around the entire helmet and not just the visor.
Old 16th February 2017, 15:47   #2259
BANNED

Will MT helmets cause neck pain when we use it in a upright position in a naked/street bike?

MT users please share your experience.

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th February 2017, 16:00   #2260
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Will MT helmets cause neck pain when we use it in a upright position in a naked/street bike?

MT users please share your experience.

Thanks in advance.
I have never faced any such issues in Street Triple or Tiger in the last 2 years of using MT Revenge. Only way neck pain can be induced by a helmet being a) helmet too heavy or b) aerodynamically dud. I feel MT is fairly light and never faced any buffeting issues at normal indian road speeds, have done fairly longer trips also. Yes i do take breaks every hour or so on long rides.

ps: I don't do very high illegal speeds on bike, so cant comment if there is an issue at very high speeds
Old 16th February 2017, 16:42   #2261
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I have never faced any such issues in Street Triple or Tiger in the last 2 years of using MT Revenge. Only way neck pain can be induced by a helmet being a) helmet too heavy or b) aerodynamically dud. I feel MT is fairly light and never faced any buffeting issues at normal indian road speeds, have done fairly longer trips also. Yes i do take breaks every hour or so on long rides.

ps: I don't do very high illegal speeds on bike, so cant comment if there is an issue at very high speeds
Thanks for the help.

I was skeptical about the MT series when I read this
Old 16th February 2017, 19:15   #2262
BHPian

Anyone using SMK helmets?? If the specs they mention are true, they are great VFM. Any input regarding SMK is welcome.

Last edited by deerhunter : 16th February 2017 at 19:30.
Old 16th February 2017, 21:18   #2263
Senior - BHPian

Bought a Kranos helmet in September for my girlfriend. I found the visor mechanism to be far from smooth it is actually quite hard to pull up the visor, apart from that the interior lining doesn't feel very soft and cushy, vents feel loose and since there is no chin curtain it gets cold in the nights. Thinking of buying an MT revenge now they are back in stores and seems to be the cheapest helmet with track certification. Any reviews on the lining and quality of the revenge?
Old 16th February 2017, 21:40   #2264
BHPian

Hey Guys,
Where can I find a good collection of Indian & Imported helmets in Bangalore ? Need to buy 1 for myself. Currently I'm using an AGV Helmet that I bought in 2008.

Thanks & Regards

G D
Old 16th February 2017, 21:56   #2265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P180V1 View Post
Hey Guys,
Where can I find a good collection of Indian & Imported helmets in Bangalore ? Need to buy 1 for myself. Currently I'm using an AGV Helmet that I bought in 2008.

Thanks & Regards

G D
Three locations come to mind in different parts of the city
- Dainese showroom in Orion Mall
- Orion Motors in Koramangala
- The Biking Spirit store in the Cash Pharmacy complex on St Marks road

Last edited by BackInTheFold : 16th February 2017 at 22:09. Reason: Typo
BackInTheFold is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks