Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2017, 10:43   #2416
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
What is the cheapest ECE certified helmet that I can get in India?
LS2 comes to mind. Under 4K in Delhi. Just ensure u r buying from a trusted source as there are quite a few fakes circulating in the market
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 10:45   #2417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I need a helmet for my regular office commute and rides within the city. These rides would be between 10-30 km on any given day. Speeds not exceeding 80 kmph and more like 40-50 kmph most of the time. What is the cheapest ECE certified helmet that I can get in India?
Speed makes no difference to an impact on the head. Just a light brush against the pavement or the tarmac is enough to split your head wide open. It has been proven that the maximum head fatalities occur within 500 metres from home, when speeds are the lowest and there is no attention to gear.

Please put aside 4-5k for a good MT branded full face helmet. 10-30 kms is a fairly long time on the road, so get a good helmet that feels comfortable and fits nice AND TIGHT. Choose from a wide range of colors and style, and feel good looking like a stormtrooper.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 13:53   #2418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
LS2 comes to mind. Under 4K in Delhi. Just ensure u r buying from a trusted source as there are quite a few fakes circulating in the market
Thanks. I will check out LS2 at Laxmi Automobiles in Pune who is the distributor for the whole of India. So hopefully will not get a duplicate from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Speed makes no difference to an impact on the head. ...

Please put aside 4-5k for a good MT branded full face helmet. 10-30 kms is a fairly long time on the road, so get a good helmet that feels comfortable and fits nice AND TIGHT. Choose from a wide range of colors and style, and feel good looking like a stormtrooper.
Thanks. I do wear a helmet all the time (even for short distances) and my wife or son whoever rides with me also wears a helmet. But the one I use (Studds) is pretty old and a size too large for my head. So wanted to replace it with something better. Did not have a lot of choice in size when I had bought my old helmet. Will check out the MT range also (are they ECE certified?).
Old 1st September 2017, 15:13   #2419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need a helmet for my regular office commute and rides within the city. These rides would be between 10-30 km on any given day. Speeds not exceeding 80 kmph and more like 40-50 kmph most of the time. What is the cheapest ECE certified helmet that I can get in India?
After riding for a year now and trying out a few entry level helmets, I can safely tell you, stay away from Kranos helmets. I bought one as a secondary helmet for pillions but the damn thing is so horrendous to use; the visor mechanism is really hard, lining isn't that great, visor itself is not very good. MT helmets are a step above Kranos but still very unrefined products. The best entry level lid out there are LS2s they are the most comfortable and pretty decently made to last so you don't end up getting pissed off with them after just a year of usage.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 16:27   #2420
BHPian

I have bought a Steelbird Air Beast for city ride. The helmet is light weight and is of good quality too. It's been a pain to carry my heavy riding helmet everywhere. The build quality is very good for the price.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-unadjustednonraw_thumb_2.jpg  

Old 3rd September 2017, 17:57   #2421
Senior - BHPian

How are the Steelbird and Studds Flip up helmets ? I have to settle on one of these as I just cant manage a full face with my glasses on. Due to my Astigmatism, even a bit of position change in my glasses leads to distorted vision.
Old 3rd September 2017, 20:06   #2422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
How are the Steelbird and Studds Flip up helmets ? I have to settle on one of these as I just cant manage a full face with my glasses on. Due to my Astigmatism, even a bit of position change in my glasses leads to distorted vision.

I use the MT axxis limited evo, use glasses too and trust me the glasses fit easily inside, dont move at all, infact they stay firm inside the helmet. But it also depends on the frame of your glasses, you can give it a try.
Old 6th September 2017, 18:18   #2423
Senior - BHPian

My glasses need to be on while putting on the helmet otherwise they just dont get into the right position
Old 13th September 2017, 10:15   #2424
Team-BHP Support

Is the SparX visor compatible with Bell lids or HJC? Bell's visors are expensive. Rs. 4,000 for a clear one.

I have an old SparX lying around, so can use that and will order based on compatibility.
Old 16th September 2017, 14:01   #2425
Team-BHP Support

For a budget of 15,000 and between Bell and HJC, what would be recommended? I had a budget of 20k, but the visor alone will cost 3-4K and then shipping.

For Bell, it would be the Vortex and for HJC, there are few models in IS & FG codes. Purpose is touring on naked street bike.
Old 16th September 2017, 15:22   #2426
Senior - BHPian

I would anyday prefer a Bell. And even their budget offering, the Bell Qualifier (10k) is a great helmet.

Cheers...
Old 17th September 2017, 00:14   #2427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
For a budget of 15,000 and between Bell and HJC, what would be recommended
What's your head shape? Bell is more towards the oval side and HJCs are rounder in profile

Would depend on the models you choose but for the most part, the above is true
Old 18th September 2017, 08:51   #2428
Senior - BHPian

Seeing a lot of SMKs on road now. Just wondering if its worth investing for my friend who is looking forward for an upgrade from Studds Ninja. His riding is predominantly within city on a Honda CB Hornet.
Old 18th September 2017, 09:31   #2429
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
What's your head shape? Bell is more towards the oval side and HJCs are rounder in profile

Would depend on the models you choose but for the most part, the above is true
Don't about head shape but sparX size S fit me snug. used it for over 5 years.
Old 18th September 2017, 09:51   #2430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
For a budget of 15,000 and between Bell and HJC, what would be recommended? I had a budget of 20k, but the visor alone will cost 3-4K and then shipping. For Bell, it would be the Vortex and for HJC, there are few models in IS & FG codes. Purpose is touring on naked street bike.
I own a high end Bell helmet (Bell RS-1) and quality of helmet is simply class apart. Sadly, I hardly wear it and is used mostly for short night rides as it does not come internal visor and I cannot ride without an internal visor during daytime since I wear spectacles.

Bell have these photo chromatic visors which are awesome but, too darn expensive

They are way superior than HJC which is good only in their high end helmets e.g RAPHA

Bottom-line, I prefer a Bell over a HJC anyday
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed