Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2017, 10:15   #2431
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

And how is Airoh? On par with Bell in similar price?
Old 19th September 2017, 17:29   #2432
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_the_Don View Post
I have bought a Steelbird Air Beast for city ride. The helmet is light weight and is of good quality too. It's been a pain to carry my heavy riding helmet everywhere. The build quality is very good for the price.
Congrats for the purchase.

How is the shell's build quality? Is it wafer thin like other Indian brands?
Old 19th September 2017, 17:40   #2433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
For a budget of 15,000 and between Bell and HJC, what would be recommended? I had a budget of 20k, but the visor alone will cost 3-4K and then shipping.

For Bell, it would be the Vortex and for HJC, there are few models in IS & FG codes. Purpose is touring on naked street bike.
The HJC IS 17 is a really good helmet and to top it off is a 5* SHARP rated helmet and comes with a drop down visor. Here is the link - https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/hjc-is-17/
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 18:24   #2434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The HJC IS 17 is a really good helmet and to top it off is a 5* SHARP rated helmet and comes with a drop down visor. Here is the link - https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/hjc-is-17/
HJC IS 17 is one of the best Helmets i have put on my head. The Safety to Price ratio is so much more than most premium helmets out there. The paint finish and the cheeks pads pampers you into buying one.

But unfortunately, the sun visor retraction is spring loaded and that fails a lot. Even if it doesn't fail, over time, the spring catches a lot of dust and dirt that makes the retraction mechanism inefficient. Just a quick glance over the reddit posts simply broke my heart. HJC warranty coverage has this included though.

I wouldn't mind buying one for that price for the sheer safety quotient the helmet has to offer with or without the Sun Visor. But i thought someone might find this "FYI" useful.
msrsooraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 22:08   #2435
BANNED

How is the overall quality of THH helmets?
Old 20th September 2017, 09:18   #2436
Team-BHP Support

I want to buy a lid which has separate visors and not 2 in 1 types. I just hate that. I always carry the clear visor with me on long rides. Have almost zeroed in on the Bell Qualifier.
Old 20th September 2017, 09:50   #2437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want to buy a lid which has separate visors and not 2 in 1 types. I just hate that. I always carry the clear visor with me on long rides. Have almost zeroed in on the Bell Qualifier.
Sheel why don't you get a helmet which supports a photochromatic visor. The currently technology is advanced enough to keep it 100% clear during the dark and pretty dark when sunny.

http://badasshelmetstore.com/best-ph...helmet-visors/

Last edited by navpreet318 : 20th September 2017 at 09:59.
navpreet318 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 09:52   #2438
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Sheel why don't you get a helmet which supports a photochromatic visor. The currently technology is advanced enough to keep it 100% clear during the dark and pretty dark when sunny.
Photo chromatic is pretty expensive Nav, at least as of now. Had it been available for ~7K, I would have thought for going one.

Maybe next time
Old 20th September 2017, 10:02   #2439
Senior - BHPian

The shield is for 7K though :P

Why don't you try FC moto or motoin etc. They would be in a better bet in terms of pricing.

Be careful with Bell though, as mentioned in the link I posted that the plastic tabs on the visor break when interchanging the visor a number of times.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 20th September 2017 at 10:06.
navpreet318 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 10:03   #2440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
By separate visors, do you mean interchangeable visors - one clear and the other with a dark tint?
Old 20th September 2017, 10:09   #2441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Photo chromatic is pretty expensive Nav, at least as of now. Had it been available for ~7K, I would have thought for going one.
Bell has photochromatic Visor as a option for around 10k. In fact I saw a dedicated Bell helmet with Photochromatic Visor at High Note Performance, Delhi for around 15K, who are also Bell's authorised dealers in India.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 20th September 2017 at 10:11.
Old 20th September 2017, 10:17   #2442
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
By separate visors, do you mean interchangeable visors - one clear and the other with a dark tint?
Yes. I can change them when I wish to. And when $$$ permit, will get a lid with photochromatic visor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Bell has photochromatic Visor as a option for around 10k. In fact I saw a dedicated Bell helmet with Photochromatic Visor at High Note Performance, Delhi for around 15K, who are also Bell's authorised dealers in India.

Cheers...
The photochromatic visor alone costs Rs. 11,000 at HNP. https://www.highnoteperformance.com/...romatic-shield

Can you please post the link, I would rather buy a lid with that visor for 15K than buy a standalone lid for 15K.
Old 20th September 2017, 10:23   #2443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please post the link, I would rather buy a lid with that visor for 15K than buy a standalone lid for 15K.
I saw it personally on my visit to their showroom last week as they are bang opposite Kawasaki Delhi. Can't see it on their website. It was around 15-16k if I am not mistaken. Why don't you give them a call directly and inquire? HNP - 9953705220, 9811575220, 011-652029010

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 20th September 2017 at 10:48.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 10:31   #2444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I can change them when I wish to. And when $$$ permit, will get a lid with photochromatic visor.
Got it, my suggestion would be you could always buy a second visor for the HJC IS 17 and not use the drop down visor at all! I too was never a fan of the drop down visors and found them gimmicky but after using one in my Nolan N86, I find them to be a very sensible addition especially for tourers.

The only reason I am suggesting the HJC IS over the Bell Qualifier is that I personally have a lot of faith in the SHARP rating system (not everyone does, to each his own) and the Qualifier has only a 3 * rating. Link - https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/bell-qualifier-dlx/

Of course, none of this matters unless you are fully comfortable with either of the helmets and they give you a snug fit without putting pressure anywhere, so do try and buy. Keep us posted on your shopping experience
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 11:32   #2445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
How is the overall quality of THH helmets?
I happened to use THH originals recently and did not find it worthy for the price. KRANOS, MT & SOL are way ahead in terms of build quality even if you may have to spend 1k extra. Please note that THHs seen in local market are mostly counterfeits as reported by fellow BHPians and riders.

Also have a look at SMK. Seeing a lot many on road these days. Yet to experience one but a friend is looking to grab one to replace his old Ninja from Studds.

Last edited by jacs : 20th September 2017 at 11:36.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed