Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2017, 23:26   #2461
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
and the lid is gorgeous, the whites [save for the only top part] is in pearl white. It replaces the SparX lid and LS2 will do duty in short runs.
Congrats on the lid. It is great VFM indeed. I am using one from February 2016 ('Spark' in black and white). The quality is very good for the price. The exterior and interiors are still in great condition. The cheek pads are as good as new in terms of shape and composition, while the pads in my old LS2 after similar usage had become softer.

I bought it in the anticipation of the arrival of my RC 390. Initial plan was to use it only on highways and keep the LS2 for the city, but the practicality of the internal sun visor (I generally return home from work post sunset) and the added comfort made me use it everywhere from nearby shops to expressway rides from Scooty Pep+ to RC 390. It became my full time helmet within a week (and 3 months before the KTM came home).

I bought an extra chrome visor, but I use it only for day time highway trips. If the trip involves riding after sunset, I usually just ride away with the clear visor and use the internal sun visor. The helmet looks much better with a dark/chrome visor. I still haven't stuck the pinlock insert that came with the helmet as I don't find the need for it in Bengaluru/Southern Karnataka and as the ventilation in the helmet is excellent.

Two negatives I have faced with this helmet:

1. Wind noise - It is pathetic. Found it to be worse than in my LS2. I guess this is very much dependent on the head shape as the user reviews have conflicting opinions on this.

2. Internal sun visor - It is not dark enough though it is enough for me as I'm not used to wearing sunglasses. The retractor for the visor lost its effectiveness within a week. Once I press the button, it retracts about 80% and I will have to pull the tab back manually the rest of the way. It doesn't slide back though and I don't even worry about it as a result and the action has become involuntary for me. The effectiveness hasn't worsened thereafter, thankfully.

PS Did your lid come with double D ring or pull type mechanism?

Last edited by theredliner : 3rd October 2017 at 23:35.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 08:12   #2462
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
PS Did your lid come with double D ring or pull type mechanism?
Thanks

It has come with pull type mechanism.

It is just so confusing between Red_Liner and theredliner
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 12:08   #2463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to you guys. I too read a lot and did find that SHARP ratings are the best, debatable but none of the ratings are above SHARP.

Surprised to find the Bell Vortex not listed in SHARP website, is it a made for India product

Started to scour for 5 star rated helmets and only HJC fit the bill. Was in contact with other sellers but none really came up with a 5 star rated helmet in size S.

BTW, got this lid in size M and this fits snugly, I think the size S might have been a bit too snug [uncomfortable]

Have already got another visor with it, the dark one plus an anti-fogging mechanism along with it.

and the lid is gorgeous, the whites [save for the only top part] is in pearl white. It replaces the SparX lid and LS2 will do duty in short runs.
Thats a really good choice and always happy to help How much did you pay for it? Do keep us posted on the long term ownership experience buddy.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 11:55   #2464
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks

It has come with pull type mechanism.
I wonder why HJC produces both types. I have double D-ring in mine

Quote:
It is just so confusing between Red_Liner and theredliner
Hahaha. Quite a few people have got confused. I wouldn't have chosen this handle if I knew 'Red Liner' existed when I registered. Sorry Red Liner

Last edited by theredliner : 6th October 2017 at 11:57.
Old 6th October 2017, 12:19   #2465
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Thats a really good choice and always happy to help How much did you pay for it? Do keep us posted on the long term ownership experience buddy.
15,000 for the lid and 3,000 for the dark visor. Got it from PRS, Bombay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I wonder why HJC produces both types. I have double D-ring in mine
Had I known this, I would have insisted on D-ring. My sparX and LS2, both were D-rings.

It was a dead straight road, please don't look at the fat chicken
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-whatsapp-image-20171006-12.01.21.jpeg  

Old 6th October 2017, 14:49   #2466
BHPian

Here is a quick review of the Scorpion EXO 920 that I have been using for the last month. I ordered this online from Motardinn and it got it in 3 weeks at a landed cost of Rs. 14500. This included a 40% duty that I paid at the post office to release the shipment.

• Great build quality and premium look and feel.
  • It is modular. I was okay to compromise safety for flexibility that a modular helmet provides in the city and on a tour.
  • It has a drop down sun visor.
  • Very easy to mount a a communication system with cut-outs on the inside for speaker placement.
  • Perfect fit for my head and premium interiors. I had tried the same model in a shop for fit and finish before I bought it online as my colour preference was not available.
  • Sufficiently quiet so that earplugs are not required. A chin curtain to keep the dust out. Very stable and quiet at highway speeds.
  • Excellent top vent. It really works in channelling air to the top of my head on hot days.
  • Quick release ratchet mechanism instead of a double d ring. I find d rings fidgety and hard to use with gloves on.
  • Available in white with no garish graphics. Offsets my riding gear nicely which is mostly black and grey and aids visibility.

Dislikes
  • I would have liked the sun visor to drop a little lower.
  • The chin vent doesn't really do anything.

And finally, some potato quality photos

Lovely fit and finish and the Scorpion logo looks sweet.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1.jpg

The chin bar release mechanism is easy to operate and the drop down sun visor uses a slider mechanism which is built to last. The spring loaded one in my LS2 failed rather quickly.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-2.jpg

Premium interiors that fit just right and didn't require any breaking in for me. The benefit of having tried it on before buying.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-3.jpg

Nice winglets (is that the term?) at the back.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-4.jpg
ranjitnair77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 22:18   #2467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
Here is a quick review of the Scorpion EXO 920 that I have been using for the last month. I ordered this online from Motardinn and it got it in 3 weeks at a landed cost of Rs. 14500. This included a 40% duty that I paid at the post office to release the shipment.

Nice winglets (is that the term?) at the back.
They're called spoilers, intended to keep the helmet from lifting with the wind pressure.
Congrats, Scorpions are rather underrated lids. I liked the EXO 710 and higher up range.

Quote:
15,000 for the lid and 3,000 for the dark visor. Got it from PRS, Bombay.

Had I known this, I would have insisted on D-ring. My sparX and LS2, both were D-rings.
Congrats!
I reckon the buckle or double D ring choice is based on market intended. EU and US markets seem to get DD ring predominantly, because lot of riders take to the track. Would be great if someone from HJC or helmet industry can clarify, model designation should be a little different with different fastener type, such as a suffix or minor model number increment.

In other news, Shark's Spartan scored 3 stars in SHARP testing. It's the first, and only, Shark helmet to score less than 4 stars.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/shark-spartan/

Last edited by Ricci : 6th October 2017 at 22:33. Reason: added news of Shark Spartan SHARP rating
Ricci is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 20:47   #2468
Senior - BHPian

High Note performance is currently having a sale on Shark S700S for 9.5k - worth it considering other options available in India having internal sun visors ?
Old 11th October 2017, 21:36   #2469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
High Note performance is currently having a sale on Shark S700S for 9.5k - worth it considering other options available in India having internal sun visors ?
It is their entry level helmet, has a 4 star SHARP score; but with helmets , personal fit and comfort are paramount, so it's better if you can examine it in person and try it on. It is a thermoplastic shell , most of us who decide to spend big money on imported helmets, then tend to shell out more for a fiberglass, composite or carbon-fiber shell helmet. I don't know what your opinion is on this matter.

They tend to be a little heavier than fiberglass and other more exotic material shells, but as long as they meet the same standards, they're arguably no less safe. I haven't seen/tried them on in person, so can't say much about their shape and build. I'd be happy to pick an S700 if I got in my size and Guintoli graphics .
Old 11th October 2017, 21:40   #2470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
It is their entry level helmet, has a 4 star SHARP score; but with helmets , personal fit and comfort are paramount, so it's better if you can examine it in person and try it on. It is a thermoplastic shell , most of us who decide to spend big money on imported helmets, then tend to shell out more for a fiberglass, composite or carbon-fiber shell helmet. I don't know what your opinion is on this matter.

They tend to be a little heavier than fiberglass and other more exotic material shells, but as long as they meet the same standards, they're arguably no less safe. I haven't seen/tried them on in person, so can't say much about their shape and build. I'd be happy to pick an S700 if I got in my size and Guintoli graphics .
I bit the bullet and ordered them anyways. Shark S700S is not the entry level actually - it was S600 (Shark lineup is so bloody confusing). At 9.5K - its only 2-3k more than MT options i was looking at. Will save up for a Shoei GT-Air - for when i have someone visiting US or Japan.

PS: I dont even have a bike right now I am renting superbikes on weekend to see which one i wanna buy - dont want to ride in the "free" Vega/Studds crap they give.
Old 11th October 2017, 22:14   #2471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Not sure about helmets with internal sun visors. Ive tried them and I honestly feel like it is a lot better to buy one without an internal sun visor and simply stick some sunglasses in or swap out the visor itself for a tinted one. At 1700 grams the Shark S700S also seems really heavy and could prove to be a pain in the neck depending on how leant forward a position your bike puts you in. The weight and my personal aversion towards helmets with internal visors apart, Shark is a top quality brand so it really is upto you.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 22:51   #2472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Not sure about helmets with internal sun visors. Ive tried them and I honestly feel like it is a lot better to buy one without an internal sun visor and simply stick some sunglasses in or swap out the visor itself for a tinted one. At 1700 grams the Shark S700S also seems really heavy and could prove to be a pain in the neck depending on how leant forward a position your bike puts you in. The weight and my personal aversion towards helmets with internal visors apart, Shark is a top quality brand so it really is upto you.
Yeah well for people wearing specs - internal sun visors are the only options if you dont want to lug around the spare visor and keep changing.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 12:40   #2473
Team-BHP Support

Even if it is just a day’s ride, I carry a bottle of water, wet wipes, sanitizer, bike’s papers, some munchies and the spare visor in a back pack. Always, despite my helmet having an internal visor.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 18:33   #2474
Senior - BHPian

Received MT Revenge, 5 Star Sharp Rated Helmet, size L, from Spartan Pro Gear, Chennai for Rs. 7475/- (you can get some discounts at local shops but this is landed price with free courier and convenience sitting at home).

Well packaged by Bluedart
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mt-revenge-21102017_1.jpg

Nice soft carry case
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mt-revenge-21102017_2.jpg

The helmet. Notice the Pinlock Ready Visor.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mt-revenge-21102017_3.jpg

Flashed to highlight the colors and the quality of the interior plastics like the breath guard. Notice the 2 high quality 2 position top vents and a bottom breath vent.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mt-revenge-21102017_4.jpg

The Back. Notice the vent on the top.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mt-revenge-21102017_5.jpg

As I own two different colored bikes...
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-heritage-ninja-21102017_2.jpg

This side is for the Ninja!
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mt-revenge-21102017_6.jpg

and this side for the Harley... Lolz!!
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mt-revenge-21102017_7.jpg

The quality of the padding is top notch with Double-D rings for fastening. Notice the front chin air curtain. It was missing in the Bell Qualifier!
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mt-revenge-21102017_8.jpg

The beautiful embossed MT logo up front.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mt-revenge-21102017_9.jpg

A close up of the front breath air vent. Quality of plastics is high.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mt-revenge-21102017_10.jpg

Single click removable visor. Notice the slot for the pinlock visor again.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mt-revenge-21102017_11.jpg

A close up of the left side graphics on the helmet
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mt-revenge-21102017_12.jpg

and then the right side graphics
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mt-revenge-21102017_13.jpg

The rear logo's
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mt-revenge-21102017_14.jpg

Certifications, size and the weight
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mt-revenge-21102017_15.jpg

Finally a close up of the rear vent.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mt-revenge-21102017_16.jpg

The quality of the helmet is quite high and better than the Bell Qualifier that I was about to purchase but deferred after trying this at Riderz Planet, Delhi. Got it direct from Spartan as they didn't have my size or the color. As I was already wearing a MT for the past 3 years, went for it and it seems a damn good helmet. Perfect bang for the buck and safety ensured without breaking the bank.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 21st October 2017 at 18:35.
dkaile is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 19:52   #2475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
MT has 5 Star Sharp rated helmets around 7K. I presently use a MT and am fully satisfied.

Cheers...
Sir, your this quote and ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Received MT Revenge, 5 Star Sharp Rated Helmet, size L, from Spartan Pro Gear, Chennai for Rs. 7475/- (you can get some discounts at local shops but this is landed price with free courier and convenience sitting at home).

The quality of the helmet is quite high and better than the Bell Qualifier that I was about to purchase but deferred after trying this at Riderz Planet, Delhi. Got it direct from Spartan as they didn't have my size or the color. As I was already wearing a MT for the past 3 years, went for it and it seems a damn good helmet. Perfect bang for the buck and safety ensured without breaking the bank.
... this gave me enough confidence to buy the MT after retiring my LS2 which served me well in my accident. Bought it from AH Helmets Mumbai

Buying over the counter is what I prefer for the size. In my LS2 I used to wear the L Size but in the MT Revenge, L size was too small for me, hence bought the XL which is a perfect snug fit for me.

I have previously used the Bieffe GP1, MPA, LS2 352, LS2 350 (lunatic fringe) and now the MT Revenge.

Saw the Airoh, Axor, Sol and THH helmets but somehow the confident words of dkaile sir made me firm to buy the MT Revenge.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_4261.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_4262.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_4263.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_4264.jpg  

The Great is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks