Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2018, 15:48   #2656
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Purchased this SMK MA276 based on a couple of reviews here. Seemed suited for my need. Got a 10% instant discount from the price listed- 4300

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-51ji5sofx1l.jpg

First time using a helmet with Pinlock. Had no idea what it was until i read about it here. Seems to be doing an effective job. Not got a chance to use the inner sun-visor. I hope it works decently as I am not comfortable wearing sun shades. Wind noise seems on the higher side as the earlier reviews indicated. But not a concern currently for my in city rides.
Old 16th August 2018, 17:28   #2657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I will read beyond the first line of that drivel of a press release AFTER they send one of these pods to ECE to get it certified professionally.
And maybe make helmets that fit different head sizes, not a one size fits all

Old 24th August 2018, 19:57   #2658
Senior - BHPian

Got this beauty recently to go with the Multi - Shoei Hornet X2 / Hornet ADV. This is in addition to the Shoei GT-Air i already had. Its slightly heavier but much more roomy in chin area. I had apprehensions about lift due to the peak at high speeds - but its not a problem on the Multi atleast due to windscreen. So far really loving it.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-hornetx2navigatetc2.jpg  

ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 22:35   #2659

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Very good.

Hope you are keeping front chin vents open.

For visibility issues due to spectacles, I have moved to Pinlock70 insert instead of Pinlock30, posted here.
Thanks , I'll switch to 70 or even 120 ...By the by, where did you get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Purchased this SMK MA276 based on a couple of reviews here. Seemed suited for my need. Got a 10% instant discount from the price listed- 4300

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

".... Wind noise seems on the higher side as the earlier reviews indicated. But not a concern currently for my in city rides.
"

Just try to Plug the Bluetooth Aperture and you will see a significant noise reduction

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by SDP : 27th August 2018 at 08:24. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please edit or multi-quote instead of back to back posts
Old 27th August 2018, 10:11   #2660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surechim View Post
Thanks , I'll switch to 70 or even 120
Pinlock120 is overkill in our weather conditions, even Pinlock70 is to some extent. I picked it up only because complete visor coverage rather than partial coverage of Pinlock30.
Quote:
By the way, where did you get it?
I picked it up from MotoCentral, SMK dealer in Pune.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 15:26   #2661
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I will be travelling to the US next month. Hence I am planning to pick up a helmet from revzilla.com.I have narrowed down to two models:

1. HJC CL-17 Streamline
2. Bell Vortex RSD

Both are priced at around $100(Rs. 7000 approx).

I have never purchased helmets online.So I am a bit skeptical about the size and fit. Also is there any option i should check in the price range OR a better e-commerce website that I can check out.

Suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 29th August 2018, 15:38   #2662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline Shooter View Post
I have never purchased helmets online.So I am a bit skeptical about the size and fit. Also is there any option i should check in the price range OR a better e-commerce website that I can check out.
In my experience revzilla is about the best for motorcycling related stuff. I have found them to be very reliable as well. I've bought at least 3 helmets through them online (as I was sure of my size) and was never disappointed.

If you are going to any city where there is a Revzilla store or any other bike gear store, you can walk in and check out your size and then place the order with Revzilla (if their prices are the best), isnt it ?

Revzilla delivers pretty fast in most of the major cities.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 16:23   #2663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys,

I will be travelling to the US next month. Hence I am planning to pick up a helmet from revzilla.com.I have narrowed down to two models:

1. HJC CL-17 Streamline
2. Bell Vortex RSD

Both are priced at around $100(Rs. 7000 approx).

Suggestions will be appreciated.
Bell Vortex is a kick-ass helmet especially at that price point. Dont worry about Revzilla - they are extremely reliable and have superb customer service. Once you recieve the helmet - see if it fits properly. If it doesnt - you can easily make a return to revzilla and they will refund your money.

Also check once on amazon.com - sometimes they have nice closeout deals as well. You might want to check the usual suspect brands - HJC, Scorpion, Bell at this price range.
Old 29th August 2018, 16:41   #2664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
In my experience revzilla is about the best for motorcycling related stuff. I have found them to be very reliable as well. I've bought at least 3 helmets through them online (as I was sure of my size) and was never disappointed.

If you are going to any city where there is a Revzilla store or any other bike gear store, you can walk in and check out your size and then place the order with Revzilla (if their prices are the best), isnt it ?

Revzilla delivers pretty fast in most of the major cities.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Thanks for the suggestion Ram. I had the same plan of visiting a Revzilla store and trying out the sizes and fits personally.But I might not get a chance.So do you think trying out a Bell Vortex or HJC CL-17 from one of the stores in Bangalore can help me figure out the size and fit?
Old 29th August 2018, 16:46   #2665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Revzilla has been good, however they have flat $55 shipping rate.
You can also check deals on other sites where shipping is less or zero. Check this from motorcyclegear.com; I have picked riding pants from this site.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 16:46   #2666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Bell Vortex is a kick-ass helmet especially at that price point. Dont worry about Revzilla - they are extremely reliable and have superb customer service. Once you recieve the helmet - see if it fits properly. If it doesnt - you can easily make a return to revzilla and they will refund your money.

Also check once on amazon.com - sometimes they have nice closeout deals as well. You might want to check the usual suspect brands - HJC, Scorpion, Bell at this price range.
Thank you ethanhunt123 for the information.This surely gives me a bit more confidence into purchasing a helmet from Revzilla. I haven't considered Scorpion yet.But I will surely look into it.

Also I have checked Amazon.com.But couldn't find good deals.Need to spend a little more time in the helmet section than in the watch section i believe

Quote:
You can also check deals on other sites where shipping is less or zero. Check this from motorcyclegear.com; I have picked riding pants from this site.
As far as I can recollect, they have free shipping in the US. I will be ordering and picking it up from there.
Let me confirm and get back to you.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th August 2018 at 16:58. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 29th August 2018, 16:54   #2667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
motorcyclegear.com; I have picked riding pants from this site.
Are you sure, they do this with in USA. They didn't charge me last year. But then I was in the same area as they have a Mega store

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 29th August 2018, 16:58   #2668
BHPian

Quote:
I bought a lot of gear in the US and I highly recommend visiting a physical store and trying out the helmets before you buy it online. The US is the holy grail for anything retail so there will be fantastic stores in most places. I visit the Bay Area pretty often and I go to the Cycle Gear store in San Jose. You can also call the store ahead of your visit to check if they have the thing you want in stock.

I have personally seen minimal difference in price between Revzilla and the store. Some of them match the price if you ask. A lot of the folks there are extremely helpful and could point you to options that you didn't consider. I personally have no issues in paying a small premium for this

Go Revzilla only if the deal is fantastic or if you aren't getting what you want.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 20:37   #2669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
I bought a lot of gear in the US and I highly recommend visiting a physical store and trying out the helmets before you buy it online. The US is the holy grail for anything retail so there will be fantastic stores in most places. I visit the Bay Area pretty often and I go to the Cycle Gear store in San Jose. You can also call the store ahead of your visit to check if they have the thing you want in stock.

I have personally seen minimal difference in price between Revzilla and the store. Some of them match the price if you ask. A lot of the folks there are extremely helpful and could point you to options that you didn't consider. I personally have no issues in paying a small premium for this

Go Revzilla only if the deal is fantastic or if you aren't getting what you want.
The only issue with buying from a physical store especially in California is the obscene Sales tax which gets added on in the final bill. With amazing no-questions asked return policies - buying online from the likes of Revzilla is not such a bad option.
Old 29th August 2018, 21:03   #2670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
The only issue with buying from a physical store especially in California is the obscene Sales tax which gets added on in the final bill. With amazing no-questions asked return policies - buying online from the likes of Revzilla is not such a bad option.
Yes of course. Revzilla is very good and I have bought things from there. My recommendation was for Redline Shooter to first try on the helmets from a physical store and then buy either online or from the store. The store price including sales tax can get pretty close to online if you request them to match.

Of course the kid in a candy shop feeling in a big store is a bonus.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed