Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2020, 17:24   #2911
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
I would like to go for Full face helmets, not modular. I believe modular carries additional weight.

Budget though not a constraint, but would not like to be extravagant. It would be my primary one so need a good safe, light & less noisy helmet.

That's why inclined towards Schuberth. But under current scenario don't know when & where, it is possible to procure it. Thanks for the information of store @ Andheri, Mumbai..
Schuberth has been known to manufacture very quiet helmets but their premium prices and lack of wide spread availability in India (maybe even abroad?) are big downers for sure. One more lightweight, easily available helmet is the LS2 FF323 Carbon. Though not everyone has a very favourable reaction to LS2 helmets, this one is supposedly quite good. Revzilla sells the helmet as well. It appears to be quite a great helmet for the price and it packs in a 4* SHARP rating as well which would make it an easier recommendation over the Caberg and MT carbon fiber equivalents.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 18:48   #2912
BHPian

My helmet is a Studds Shifter D7 blue.
It's serves my purpose well.
It has a double visor system.
It has 5 (I think) different colour shades to choose from.
It suits your budget. Price is 2165/-.
It has removable cheek pads, and hence, cleanable. It has a good field of vision.
Con: It lacks ventilation.
Attaching pics below. Sorry for bad quality

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20200708184319.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20200708184309.jpg

Last edited by BlackPearl : 8th July 2020 at 18:51. Reason: Fixed formatting. Thanks.
Govardhansupra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 23:49   #2913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
One more lightweight, easily available helmet is the LS2 FF323 Carbon. Though not everyone has a very favourable reaction to LS2 helmets, this one is supposedly quite good. Revzilla sells the helmet as well. It appears to be quite a great helmet for the price and it packs in a 4* SHARP rating as well which would make it an easier recommendation over the Caberg and MT carbon fiber equivalents.
I love LS2 helmets because those were the ones that fit my head properly ( oval head) . But the issue is that there has been lot of fakes. I'm already on a lookout for a helmet for touring purpose for approx below 20k . Looking for options with pinlock ( as redliner said) . I had a smk with pinlock before but used to have debris stuck inside. Don't know it was a manufacturing fault or something.
I already own a LS2 ff358 but has worn out.
I'm already importing a boots (Sidi adv 2 GTX) . Still don't know the customs duty associated with it. . So if needed to import a helmet what would be the customs duty .
dinodavid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 11:42   #2914
BHPian

Quote:
One more lightweight, easily available helmet is the LS2 FF323 Carbon. Though not everyone has a very favourable reaction to LS2 helmets, this one is supposedly quite good. Revzilla sells the helmet as well. It appears to be quite a great helmet for the price and it packs in a 4* SHARP rating as well which would make it an easier recommendation over the Caberg and MT carbon fiber equivalents.
Another carbon fiber option available locally is the Axor Rage Carbon Warfare full face helmet. Those who are put off due to 'heavy' helmets due to some reasons should definitely try this. The weight is very low as per the specs,

Quote:
SECURITY
● Equipped with Micro-metric quick release lock system.
● Homologation- ECER - 2205(Europe) & DOT FMVSS NO. 218(US) Helmet Safety Standards.
● Carbon fiber material is used, where the design speaks for itself and dramatically reduce shell profile recognized by DOT certification.
● 2 Reflectors for better visibility of the helmet at night.
• Weighs 1080±50gms.
I've not tried this but would like to check it out physically.

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 16:58   #2915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinodavid View Post
I love LS2 helmets because those were the ones that fit my head properly ( oval head) . But the issue is that there has been lot of fakes. I'm already on a lookout for a helmet for touring purpose for approx below 20k . Looking for options with pinlock ( as redliner said) . I had a smk with pinlock before but used to have debris stuck inside. Don't know it was a manufacturing fault or something.
I already own a LS2 ff358 but has worn out.
I'm already importing a boots (Sidi adv 2 GTX) . Still don't know the customs duty associated with it. . So if needed to import a helmet what would be the customs duty .
You are right about the fakes flooding the market but the situation seems to have improved substantially in recent years. As long as you buy from a reputed dealer, you should be fine.

I checked with a friend who is using the LS2 carbon fiber helmet, he is quite happy with it but it is a bit noisy. The light weight makes up for it.

I saw your post on the import duty on the riding hear thread, I think it used to be around 38% earlier. Keep your fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Another carbon fiber option available locally is the Axor Rage Carbon Warfare full face helmet. Those who are put off due to 'heavy' helmets due to some reasons should definitely try this. The weight is very low as per the specs,
This looks really nice and the price is very attractive as well. I am a little skeptical about the weight, it seems to be a little too less to me compared to what I have seen from similar offerings of international brands. Or maybe Im being a little too paranoid
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 07:19   #2916
BHPian

Quote:
I saw your post on the import duty on the riding hear thread, I think it used to be around 38% earlier. Keep your fingers crossed!
38% customs are fine at this situation, so including GST it shouldn't cross 50% . It's expensive but I've got to live with it . No other option as the boots are being sold for 31k at retail in bikegear. Regarding helmets the duty is now 15% to 18% . That has been the norm for now. It was a dealers quote.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 10th July 2020 at 07:21. Reason: Corrected punctuation.
Old 10th July 2020, 10:25   #2917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
38% customs are fine at this situation, so including GST it shouldn't cross 50% . It's expensive but I've got to live with it . No other option as the boots are being sold for 31k at retail in bikegear. Regarding helmets the duty is now 15% to 18% . That has been the norm for now. It was a dealers quote.
It is your duty to inform us about the duty
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 10:27   #2918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Another carbon fiber option available locally is the Axor Rage Carbon Warfare full face helmet.
The weight seems a bit off, the 'carbon fibre' helmets from the top brands costs a lot, plus they weigh like 1450-1500 even in the small size. For a couple thousand bucks more i would get the HJC CL17 which has a Snell certification.
CarManMotorcycl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 15:58   #2919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
It is your duty to inform us about the duty
I have already replied to your post on the other thread . I'm also in a confused state.
Quote:

I checked with a friend who is using the LS2 carbon fiber helmet, he is quite happy with it but it is a bit noisy. The light weight makes up for it.
What's the model no of your friends helmet. Well I tried various reviews for LS2 ff323 carbon. Has anyone got any review about it and availability.
dinodavid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 22:55   #2920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What's the model no of your friends helmet. Well I tried various reviews for LS2 ff323 carbon. Has anyone got any review about it and availability.
The link to that helmet is here. Good feedback on the helmet, its light but a bit noisy.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-79821a13ffe39c805ac5126ff92394eb.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 23:06   #2921
BHPian

Bought a Caberg Duke 2, though it was never on my list owing to the budget I had set myself. But the 5 Star SHARP rating and the relative convenience won me over. Brief specs:

In the Box:
1. Helmet
2. Soft carry bag
3. Pinlock visor

Helmet:
1. 5 star SHARP rating
2. 1.5-1.6 kgs
3. Three shades: Black, Black/White,Black/Fluorescent Yellow
4. 18,500/- no discounts offered, 13,000/- for the plain black (No matte finishes)
5. 2 Year shell warranty- to be activated on Spartan ProGear website.

I have listed my earlier options earlier in the thread, but decided against them for a variety of reasons, primarily on Safety grounds and manufacturing date. A majority of the helmets on offer were easily close to a year or more old. The Caberg i got is a 2020 manufactured example. Sadly, there were absolutely no discounts offered.
Loved the designs(decals/graphics)on some of the other brands, but most had less than 3 star ratings. Finally went for the most visible colour- fluorescent yellow/black combo.
Among the helmets I tried, this had a close to perfect fit.
Was skeptical about the flip-up type, but the demo at the store with regards to the locking mechanism gave me more confidence.

Initial impressions:

1. Wind noise fairly well controlled, but definitely not among the quieter ones.
2. Claimed better field of vision, but did not find a significant improvement over non-touring focus helmets.
3. Easy to use mechanism for the flip-up feature, comes with an additional lock to ensure it doesn’t fall forwards unintentionally.
4. Honestly, equally reasonable options at lower price points, I plumped got this as it felt the most comfortable and I liked it among the many others I tried.

Haven’t been able to click detailed pictures, so posting a couple that the staff at the showroom clicked for their Instagram.

Note on the experience at Spartan ProGear: Excellent probably due to me being the sole customer on a Sunday, but they did take their time to offer me helmets of every type and budget.
You are required to buy an Aspida balaclava(210/-)from them before they allow you to try on a helmet, they will not let you use your own, found this tough to swallow, but in the interests of other’s safety in these times, I guess we have to take one for the team.
The staff were knowledgable, and googled the sharp rating for each helmet themselves when I told them it was my primary criteria, so full marks to them for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-7cc71740a7484ec6a4525f3e7a5085e0.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-9327309460fd41f58724b98944e83f3f.jpeg  

philipmathen is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 16:52   #2922
BHPian

Uploading slightly more detailed pictures, please excuse the poor lighting
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_1529.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_1525.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_1526.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_1528.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_1527.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_1530.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_1532.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_1531.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_1533.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_1524.jpg  

philipmathen is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 20:53   #2923
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am planning to upgrade my helmet. I had MT Blade and MT Revenge. I am planning to now purchase MT Rapide Crucial which is fiberglass structure and ECE certified. However the caveat to that is unlike Revenge, this is not tested by any third party institutions. Any feedback or reviews on the Rapide Crucial one?
Tuisha110HP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 13:49   #2924
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuisha110HP View Post
Hi Guys,

I am planning to upgrade my helmet. I had MT Blade and MT Revenge. I am planning to now purchase MT Rapide Crucial which is fiberglass structure and ECE certified. However the caveat to that is unlike Revenge, this is not tested by any third party institutions. Any feedback or reviews on the Rapide Crucial one?
The USP of MT helmets was that they are offering 4 / 5 * SHARP rated helmets at very affordable and India friendly prices. Any reason why you want to go in for a non SHARP rated MT helmet? At Rs 10,750, it isnt as pocket friendly as the rest of the MT range either.

Maybe even look at the Airoh Valor helmet? It will cost you Rs 500 more but gives you 5* SHARP rating as well.
Old 17th July 2020, 15:12   #2925
BHPian

Quote:
. Any reason why you want to go in for a non SHARP rated MT helmet? At Rs 10,750, it isnt as pocket friendly as the rest of the MT range either.
Hi Neil,

I had the revenge and I must say it worked well during a recent crash. However, the new revenge and blade series are coming with ratchet system instead of double D straps. Spartan progear has the exact same helmet from double D series, but you know the mind! Wanted to try something new. The primary reason for Rapide being ECE certified (at least they are tested before being certified ECE and anyday better than DOT) and fiberglass shell.

Quote:
Maybe even look at the Airoh Valor helmet? It will cost you Rs 500 more but gives you 5* SHARP rating as well.
The valor doesn't have an extra small size and the small one is a very comfortable fit, not something I am looking for in a new helmet. Add to that it is also coming in ratchet locking mechanism.
Tuisha110HP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks