Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2018, 11:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph refuses to deliver motorcycles to customers not wearing safety gear

It is commendable that Triumph choose not to deliver bikes to people without safety gear. However, the comments about 'new money' or 'show off' are immature and reek of a 'holier than thou' attitude. Let's face it, many bike purchases in that category could be for showoff (explicit or subtle) and only a few for true biking pleasure.

It would be really entertaining if a bunch of owners turned up with their Triumph bikes outside the showroom on delivery day without riding gear and did wheelies to welcome their new entrant buddy
selfdrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 13:43   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Look who's talking!
Aren't these the same guys who 'faked' Horse Power figures?
Very true, all is part of marketing posing themselves as patrons of safety, but still a good move nonetheless.
2himanshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 13:44   #18
BHPian

I did not quite understand why insulting such people is bad attitude? Or why it's none of their business what people do with their money?

Imagine a gear-less rider crashing in to your vehicle whether driven rashly or not, and having serious injuries. Now imagine the trouble you go through. So, considering the same logic, shouldn't the gear-less rider be devoid of blame. It's his money after all. With that attitude, if he chooses to bribe the authorities and get away pinning the blame on you, again it's his money after all.

I'm in full support of public shaming and usage of harsh language on people who flout safety norms and endanger not only themselves, but more importantly other people's lives, time and money on public roads. Considering this forum is highly esteemed and proponent of automobile safety, I thought I'd expect harsher words and more support for Triumph (or any other automobile company) for doing this.

Last edited by jagzrk : 22nd May 2018 at 13:45. Reason: typo
jagzrk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 14:05   #19
Team-BHP Support

Triumph instead of being snobbish, should try to deliver this message in a more subtle way. By doing that, they are going to win hearts and laugh away all the way to bank.

It would be a win win for both, customers who are ignorant will learn bits about the importance of safety gear and Triumph can brag about promoting safety.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 14:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

This is as stupid as the Helmet law. Someone is OK with smashing their heads to bits, let them

Wearing a helmet / safety gear should be the rider's decision ... period. Forget the government, a motorcycle company trying to "enforce" it is a 100 times more idiotic

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 22nd May 2018 at 14:37.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 14:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
This is as stupid as the Helmet law. Someone is OK with smashing their heads to bits, let them

This statement really makes me think.

When I was a teenager, I hated the helmet law.
But, now as a parent of a growing boy, I really like the Helmet Rules.

Our kids may or may not listen to what we say, but, they definitely have to obey what the police danda says.
abhishek46 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 15:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post

now as a parent of a growing boy, I really like the Helmet Rules
I hear what you are saying. But your safety cannot be the prime concern of the policeman around the corner. Heck, even that is bypassed easily:

- Spot a cop? Wear your extremely loose plastic bucket; after which it takes its rightful place on the rider's arm
- Don't want the above hassle? Wear that construction worker type hat. You got a helmet + Wind in your face feeling at all times. No danda either. You will just look a bit dorky. If being dorky and messing up your pretty hair is a concern, follow the step above

I have said it before, for a helmet law to be effective; you have to first define what a helmet is. Safety standards, fit, everything needs to be a part of it. Else honestly, whats the point?

W.r.t. children, well - Children hopefully wont be riding 2 wheelers out on the streets until they are 18. That's old enough to vote and depending on gender - marry and bear children. Common sense like wearing a helmet should be ... common(?)

Most importantly though, its all about culture. We have all evolved from apes. Monkey see - Monkey do is in our genes. Especially if that monkey is the father. Daddy doesn't wear a helmet, jumps red lights and does other such awesome things - chances are; the kid knows this behavior to be OK

Its important to embed this culture of safety in our kids. My 6 year old daughter sees me everyday, without fail, in my full riding gear, irrespective of whether its a cool 15 degrees or the current 45 outside. She doesn't think that its dorky. She thinks its cool and already talks to me about getting a helmet for her when she gets her own bike

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 22nd May 2018 at 15:35.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 17:12   #23
BHPian

I am disappointed to see an attempt to sensationalize the issue in this forum - the way it is mentioned as "Triumph makes some tall claims".

I am not a Triumph owner and what I say is from my few visits to Triumph showroom in Bengaluru.

They have always had this policy ever since I've first visited them sometime in 2015. Why sudden noise now? I don't see any reason to sensationalize this issue - although it may seem so to a person who has no context.

The staff have been courteous every single time - knowing that I am not a serious customer and have walked in just to see the bikes.

They have even told me that they would have offered me a test ride had I been in shoes/jeans and they would offer helmet etc. They even followed up on calls and reminded about this policy.

Last edited by daretodream : 22nd May 2018 at 17:13.
daretodream is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 17:50   #24
BHPian

This policy of Triumph exists for a while now. I did get a taste of it last year when Triumph had put up a demo stall showcasing 4-5 motorcycles in my home apartment complex in Hyderabad. I wanted a test ride within my apartment compound but was denied very politely since I was in shorts and slippers. While offering helmet for test ride, the salesperson very politely told me that shorts and slippers are not welcomed. He was amply clear that the same holds good even for delivery of vehicles. If they let their prospects know about the policy, I'm sure they let the buyers know about it too ...

While I didn't like the fact that I was denied a test ride for a ridiculous reason, I did appreciate how the employees followed it unambiguously ...
junkishya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 09:35   #25
NTO
BHPian

I once went to a Royal enfield showroom wearing shorts and slippers. However I had a helmet. I was still refused a test ride of their then new Himalayan and I was told to come back appropriately dressed. Triumph PR is pretty solid and they made a news out of this activity. I don't see them doing anything out of their way. Test rides might create serious headache to the dealership if the rider suffers from injuries during the ride. So, they are safeguarding themselves. Also, apart from the mass market motorcycle showrooms, I guess every other manufacturer would recommend proper gear. I also once test rode the RC 390, an experience post my Himalayan incident and I was checked for proper gear before I was handed over the test ride motorcycle.
NTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 14:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
I did not quite understand why insulting such people is bad attitude? Or why it's none of their business what people do with their money?

Imagine a gear-less rider crashing in to your vehicle whether driven rashly or not, and having serious injuries. Now imagine the trouble you go through. So, considering the same logic, shouldn't the gear-less rider be devoid of blame. It's his money after all. With that attitude, if he chooses to bribe the authorities and get away pinning the blame on you, again it's his money after all.

I'm in full support of public shaming and usage of harsh language on people who flout safety norms and endanger not only themselves, but more importantly other people's lives, time and money on public roads. Considering this forum is highly esteemed and proponent of automobile safety, I thought I'd expect harsher words and more support for Triumph (or any other automobile company) for doing this.
There are so many better ways to spread safety awareness than insulting prospective customers. Triumph is not so proactive when it comes to safety initiatives. Introduced ABS in its bonneville line up only in 2017. Check HMSI and Triumph India websites and see the difference.
HMSI's approach is productive. Triumph is just "Showing off".
Gildarts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 14:31   #27
BHPian

Hypothetically if an accident does happen if the prospective customer was not wearing proper riding gear, would we not question why the TD was allowed in the first place?

Hence I'd say enforcing such rules for a TD seem alright.

However a paying customer can wear whatever he/she may desire! If one books the bike and walks into the showroom on d-day dressed in shorts, would one be asked to go back and change and be denied delivery otherwise!?

Seems like a really silly and childish policy to me.

Also, the MD of the company speaking with such audacity about refusing prospective customers is just ridiculous. It sets a really opinion dividing tone about the kind of brand that Triumph is supposed to be.

On a lighter note, if Maruti stopped selling cars to people who did not wear seat-belts (front as well as rear passengers), it'd have close to zero sales!
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 14:59   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

I read the words "new money" and went ballistic in my head.

Who does the Triumph-India head think he is? Is he British nobility with a stiff upper lip and riding pants? Maybe playing 'hard to get' is part of their elite positioning, but bandying class-ist words about is just plainly stupid, British brand or not.

Somewhat OT: I didn't see any helmet laws in the US. Maybe riding motorcycles in a brutish car-centric country was deemed a death-wish in itself, but I'd only see decent riding gear on sportsbike riders. The Harleys that I saw were almost always ridden without helmets on, or with a hat-like useless helmet.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 17:02   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Weird. Why doesn't the sales advisor inform the customer beforehand?

Sir, your bike has arrived! You can pick it up at 5:30 PM. We have certain safety policies in place - so please bring along a helmet & wear biking shoes

Why make a scene at the time of delivery?

I have a different opinion to this. It is not only Important from the safety point of view but bikers, especially the one who are well aware of the power these premium bikes have are definitely expected to have a minimum common sense of what a sensible and minimum riding attire must be even if it is at the time of delivering the bike.

Making the scene part, I think, might have had much more to do with the customer's attitude rather than the sales personnel's, a sensible customer, only would have obliged with the terms when he was "Politely" refused the delivery but offered alternatives like being offered gears by the showroom or getting the bike delivered to his home. It is the mature and grown-up thing to do, as even we, as the society need only sensible, grown-up and mature people to own such bikes. It is only better on part of the triumph to stand their ground and make their statement clear rather than selling bike to any chump who just has some bucks to dispense.

About the MD's statement on "new money" and "show off"... He indeed went overboard by using those words.

Last edited by Mahven : 23rd May 2018 at 17:29. Reason: addition and spellings.
Mahven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 18:53   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
Original link here
Just noticed this news article is dated 2016. And we had discussed it back then here. (Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48)

Most Viewed