Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2007, 00:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Modular (that is, these type of) helmets were once considered to be weaker than full-face helmets.

However, these helmets now come with decent DOT and/or Euro ratings.
Yes, but you'll still miss a full-facer in an impact on your chin. Is the chin-piece made of the same density material as the rest?

OT: DOT ratings suck. AFAIK, Snell ratings are a much better indicator. Pro bikers like Rtech would be in a better position to confirm, though.
Old 9th January 2007, 00:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
OT: DOT ratings suck. AFAIK, Snell ratings are a much better indicator. Pro bikers like Rtech would be in a better position to confirm, though.
1. The Chin Piece is as solid as the rest of the helmet. The N 102's chin piece has been subject to the same tests as the rest of the shell and it has survived those tests as well as the shell. That includes some heavy duty pounding with steel mallets.

Both my Nolan and Duboy's HJC are DOT rated modulars. They have also passed random DOT tests.

2. That the Snell ratings are better than DOT is an urban legend. For one, Snell doesnt rate modular helmets so there is no rating available. Secondly it costs the manufacturer 60c (paid to the Snell foundation) to put a Snell sticker on his product, which he then sells at a premium of $50 over other comparable helmets on account of the perceived levels of 'safety'. Snell is not mandatory, unlike DOT and the Snell rating has been under scrutiny for sometime now by Federal agencies amongst others.

Snell has been criticised for rating helmets that are TOO rigid very high when a certain amount of flex is recommended. Their rating depends on how a helmet takes a very high impact at the same spot TWICE, which is not very practical as (1) nobody gets hit by that an impact of that magnitude and (2) never at the same place. As a result, helmets rated high by Snell are usually TOO rigid for the safety of the wearer, a fact that the Euro standards have thrown up. Ideally, helmets should crack slightly on heavy impact, with the hard outer casing taking the brunt of the effect and reducing the energy transfer to the inner lining. Too hard a casing would mean that you're probably better off hitting the road with just the inner lining on as the outer casing does not absorb impact but transfers it completely.

Can you explain why DOT ratings 'suck' ? They do mystery shopping to pick up rated helmets from shops periodically to test them at random, rather than relying on pieces supplied by the manufacturer for rating.

The Euro ratings are supposed to be better than Snell or DOT, though. The Nolan 102 passes those tests despite being modular.

Last edited by Steeroid : 9th January 2007 at 00:49.
Old 9th January 2007, 00:52   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Can you explain why DOT ratings 'suck' ? .
You got me.

My perceived (and now wrong) information was from a biking forum, which I read when deciding what helmet to buy, and how to evaluate them.
Old 9th January 2007, 08:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Good that you're safe. Bikes today are waay too powerful.
Was it a high side or a low side?
Old 9th January 2007, 11:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Was it a high side or a low side?
In-between ride. Its a sportsbike frame with a cruiser engine. Check my garage for pics.

Hmmmm.....this incident had nothing to do with power, though.

Last edited by Steeroid : 9th January 2007 at 12:04.
Old 9th January 2007, 14:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

Erm, that's not quite what he meant, Steer...
Old 9th January 2007, 14:10   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1p3r
OT: DOT ratings suck. AFAIK, Snell ratings are a much better indicator.
Rubbish! And Steer has explained why in his post above. There is a never ending debate as to which is the "better" standard for helmets - Snell or DOT. Some go to the extent to say that a DOT helmet is better for street riding while a Snell certified helmet is better for racing.

The best thing to put your mind at ease is the get a Snell AND DOT certified helmet!
Old 11th January 2007, 18:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

Got the bike back from the garage today. Some images taken at delivery are below - they've put chrome heatshields from Harley on my headers to cover up the scratches (OE polished pipes not available - ordered @ Yamaha and arriving in 30 days), but the broken ring at the tip of the tailpipe couldnt be fixed (not available from yamaha as I will have to buy entire Tailpipe assembly for that one lil ring - costs $400). So custom bike will fabricate a set for me @ Dhs150.

Actually, none of my spares are available at Yamaha since they've only sold 2 MT01s in DXB. So I have to wait for my brake levers too.

Last edited by Steeroid : 11th January 2007 at 18:29.
Old 11th January 2007, 20:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

hey steer, I missed this thread.

Sorry to hear about your mishap dude, but thank God u r OK.

Too bad about the bike though....hope u get her in ship shape soon!
Old 11th January 2007, 21:25   #40
BHPian

drive safe steer...

don't know how I missed this thread!!
good to know that you are safe and smiling. Thank all and every god you know and celebrate the day!! Hope you and fly recovered completely from the shock.... wish you very speedy recovery too!!
Pass my cheers to "DUBOY"!!

chall..cheers!!
Old 17th January 2007, 17:28   #41
BHPian

Missed It!!!.But good to know that you are Ok.Dubai has only two MT01's?.I believe even Mumbai has one.Wow not Bad!!!!
Old 17th January 2007, 17:43   #42
Team-BHP Support

hope ur fine, ride safe and burn some rubber []
Old 17th January 2007, 18:37   #43
Senior - BHPian

Just saw this thread. Nice to know you are safe.
Old 29th January 2007, 12:48   #44
BHPian

unfortunate happening for you and your bike. take care ride safe.

btw why did nt you go for the VMAX (although MT is new - i agree) the VMAX is a real brute machine with scary exhaust too. My dream bike.
Old 29th January 2007, 18:31   #45
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone. Mods - its time to close this thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks