Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2007, 10:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Helmet Saves My Head

Guys

I had a small crash on my bike on the way to the office. Nothing major - skidded on road-construction material leftovers on a curve thanks to Dubai Municipality - sand and small concrete debris.

Bike has some scratches, but I got thrown off and landed on my head. Thankfully there was no traffic behind me (I had just left the signal and the others were still following) but the helmet sure as hell saved my day. The best part is - not a scratch on the helmet !!! Rolled over on my back after the impact, and my backpack (Di Pai) protected my back too - thankfully I wasnt carrying my laptop as I leave it in the office and my suit inside the backpack probably cushioned the impact as well. No scratch on me but my beautiful Ferrari jacket is ripped at both elbows - will probably put leather patches on both sides to try and save the jacket.

Got some sad pics of the bike (brake levers, my beautifully polished exhausts from the engine and part of the tailpipe are scratched) which I will post later.

DONT EVER FORGET TO WEAR YOUR HELMET!

Last edited by Steeroid : 8th January 2007 at 10:55.
Old 8th January 2007, 10:52   #2
BHPian

Helmet and GOD saved you. I hope you are well.
Old 8th January 2007, 10:52   #3
BHPian

Good to know that you got out the accident scot-free. A colleague of mine had a similar accident and he was also wearing a helmet "strapped", though he had concussions, nothing serious happened.

Ride safe.

regards
Tifosi.
Old 8th January 2007, 10:53   #4
Team-BHP Support

Glad that you are in one piece - how's your back?

don't worry - bike bits can be replaced if not repaired.
Old 8th January 2007, 11:11   #5
BHPian

Glad you are unhurt, your experience should teach many riders how useful wearing a helmet could be.
Old 8th January 2007, 11:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

MY SAVIOUR:

Last edited by Steeroid : 8th January 2007 at 11:18.
Old 8th January 2007, 11:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that you are unhurt. Take care buddy. A lesson well learnt on the helmet.
Old 8th January 2007, 11:26   #8
BHPian

thank goodness you are unhurt,never brake hard on cruves.
One suggestion,if the helmet has taken 'one' hard impact,pls change it immediately.Most helmets are meant to take one impact only.
Old 8th January 2007, 11:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thank the lord that there wasn't any traffic following you close. Of course the helmet did its thing, there is no point in worshipping it. it was you that had the sense to put it on. helmets are made for that. only common sense & better judgement can help people in these situations, so thank the lord &the thank yourself for having the sense & feel sorry for that ferrari jacket. And have a beer for each of the scratches on that machine. cheers
Old 8th January 2007, 11:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Steer - good to know that you are unhurt maan. Bike can be repaired. Hope the back's taken the knock well !!

ps - i thought debris and sand on the road were the monopoly of the BMC only. Nice to hear it happens there too.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 8th January 2007 at 11:29. Reason: Used sms language !!
Old 8th January 2007, 11:38   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Steeroid, sorry to hear about your mishap, glad to hear you are OK.
Old 8th January 2007, 11:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Glad to know you escaped unurt. The roadside sand and gravel is the culprit for most two wheeler accidents. Hope you get your bike in shape soon
Old 8th January 2007, 11:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Happy to hear that you are all right! It is a good thing you are a sensible biker (helmet, riding jacket, et al). Maybe you should worship the helmet for a few days, and get seriously drunk tonight to celebrate your escape.

I hope the other bikers out here will remember to use their helmets, and wear proper riding attire. Respect your equipment and it will respect you back.

I owe my life to a helmet (2 spills in 1 day). Happened back when I was in college (Degree). I was the pillion rider (on my own bike) both times. The second one split(!) the helmet. I got away with a few bruises and a bit of paint lost off my back. After that, I never rode without a helmet and a thick windcheater ever in the height of summer. I never rode pillion after that either. What I'm coming to is, I really know the feeling of being spared after an accident. You should celebrate.
Old 8th January 2007, 12:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully your back has taken this incident well.Glad you escaped unhurt.
Great to see someone take so much care[helmet ,backpack etc] while riding a bike.

Helmets[bikes] and seatbelts[cars/suvs] save lifes.Wish both were made compulsory throughout India as well.
Old 8th January 2007, 12:12   #15
Team-BHP Support

Thank God & Helmet (and backpack) you are ok. I too have been saved by helmets twice in my 2-wheeler days.

I rarely get to see bikers with helmets in my town, may be once a week or so. I see only my staff wearing helmets, if only to escape my wrath.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed