Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2018, 17:18   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
What is wrong with people!! Don't people care for their safety anymore?

Citizens join hands to oppose cop drive mandating helmets
Wow! Punekars have really set the benchmark when it comes to road safety.

If at all this group wins the battle against helmets, not only these pea-brains put themselves at risk, but also cause a lot of stress to other drivers who God forbid get into an accident with these idiots.

What's next on their list?
Maybe put 14yos behind the wheels
Or make high beam usage mandatory in the city
Or ban turn indicators, maybe? :banghead:
Old 21st November 2018, 17:20   #47
BHPian

Re: Pune Citizens form committee to oppose mandatory helmet rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post

What's next on their list?
Probably drink and drive, not DIY, drinking and driving.
Old 21st November 2018, 17:43   #48
BHPian

Here is a thought which many may not agree to-

A helmet-less rider is first and foremost endangering his own life, so why bother? If he/she has made the decision to put his life at risk, I think we should let them. One moron less on the streets will help everybody.

Also this is something, I have never understood. Why don't insurance companies act tough?
Why not deny claims on accidents, wherein it has been established without doubt that the rider was not wearing a helmet or a driver was not wearing a seatbelt? The police can be instructed to note this detail in their FIR along with all the other things they make a note of.
veedub89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 17:52   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
A helmet-less rider is first and foremost endangering his own life, so why bother? If he/she has made the decision to put his life at risk, I think we should let them. One moron less on the streets will help everybody.....
That's true only if the said rider exists in a vacuum. They're free to do whatever they want if they alone bear consequences of their actions.

Unfortunately, we all have to share public roads with these people, and there's a real possibility that a fender bender that would probably only result in bruised egos with a helmeted rider could prove fatal for one without.

One's then looking at something that could've been resolved with a bit of unpleasant roadside chit-chat suddenly turning into a 'causing death by negligence' charges. Doesn't matter if one's provably innocent, the legal grind to reach that conclusion is not optional.

Legal aspects aside, there's a human angle to it too. How many of us would be able to brush off grievously injuring someone or outright killing them with a 'it wasn't my fault so who cares' argument? The trauma of being involved in a death, fault and blame notwithstanding, isn't a trivial issue.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st November 2018 at 17:55.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 17:52   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
A helmet-less rider is first and foremost endangering his own life, so why bother? If he/she has made the decision to put his life at risk, I think we should let them. One moron less on the streets will help everybody.
Because the bigger vehicle gets the blame. Imagine a clown like this rear-ending me when I brake suddenly to avoid a problem ahead. He goes face-first into my EcoSport's spare tyre, suffers cranial injuries and dies or experiences severe mental issues.

I'm the one who gets caught up in the legal red tape until the issue is solved. That's a lot of time and money to be wasting for no fault of my own.

That's why many of us are criticizing this.

If the rules were even-handed in terms of vehicles involved, then yes, I'd say let the people do wish they want to do. Sadly, it is not.

Agree re. the insurance bit being a good approach, but then again, how often are accidents where two wheelers involved referred to insurance (either first party for the two-wheeler, or third party from the other vehicle to the two-wheeler)?
arunphilip is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 18:06   #51
BHPian

One of those days when I question God's plan. A humble request, let's not generalize. Not all Punekars are this life fearing and death loving. I live in Pune and I do drive and ride safe, which includes following traffic rules to the the core.
Engine_Roars is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 18:10   #52
BHPian

I don't know if you have come across below mentioned 'dudes' in your cities. In Pune you see;
  1. Moron who wears his helmet on his fore arm
  2. Nincompoop who ties 3-4 handkerchiefs on his face but won't wear helmet
  3. Imbecile who wears his full face helmet on skull pointing skywards
  4. Halfwit who wears hard hat (worn by construction worker) and calls it helmet
  5. Blockhead who carries his helmet locked to grab handle or leg guard or in pillion's hands
StepUP! is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 18:15   #53
BHPian

If We look at the profiles of those who are part of "citizen committee", looks like most of them must be travelling in either a C/D segment sedan or SUV, therefore It's more about provocating / misguiding people for their own self interest.
Old 21st November 2018, 19:30   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post

Maybe put 14yos behind the wheels
Or make high beam usage mandatory in the city
Or ban turn indicators, maybe?
Maybe put 14yos behind the wheels : They are already there, please visit few schools and you will know

Or make high beam usage mandatory in the city : There is no low beam switch that they know of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

So, today in Pune, the minuscule percentage of everyday riders (not referring to Sunday morning riders) who wear helmets belong to one of these organizations.

Yes in Hinjewadi atleast you see people riding to work with helmets on due to strict rules, but the same riders drive on wrong side with impunity day in and day out.

Bad habits spread like disease and people catch them willingly.

This law if implemented will be in place only for few days, some people will get fined they will buy a helmet, after few days it will be kept home and people will be back to square one - riding without helmets.

This is fact of life in Pune.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 19:56   #55
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Because the bigger vehicle gets the blame. Imagine a clown like this rear-ending me when I brake suddenly to avoid a problem ahead. He goes face-first into my EcoSport's spare tyre, suffers cranial injuries and dies or experiences severe mental issues.

I'm the one who gets caught up in the legal red tape until the issue is solved. That's a lot of time and money to be wasting for no fault of my own.

That's why many of us are criticizing this.

If the rules were even-handed in terms of vehicles involved, then yes, I'd say let the people do wish they want to do. Sadly, it is not.

Agree re. the insurance bit being a good approach, but then again, how often are accidents where two wheelers involved referred to insurance (either first party for the two-wheeler, or third party from the other vehicle to the two-wheeler)?

Many years ago while driving my Gypsy in Madras, I was forced to brake because the car in front of me braked. Behind me was a TVS 50 Moped ridden by a dunderhead who happened also to be some relative of some local political rabble rousing demon.
The rider wasn’t wearing any kind of head protection and rear ended my Gypsy and bashed his ugly head on my rear tyre and got a swollen lip plus a couple of loose teeth in the process.
Sadly, the dirty Police devils being the kind of monsters they are, immediately took his side and demanded that I pay him money to go to the hospital and get his ugly mug fixed.
What choice had I?
None at all! And this despite knowing many influential people in the city, to whom I could have turned, but chose not to.
I was the poorer by Rs 1000/- and a considerable amount of time as well, arguing that the person who had hit me from behind, was at fault and not I, as per the Motor Vehicle Law itself.
But then, this is the tragedy of India.
Bigger vehicle = Richer Person and hence, fair game, for all the assorted peasantry and baboons who wish to create a ruckus on the road.
All Two Wheeler Riders and Passengers MUST mandatorily wear helmets. Period.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 20:08   #56
Team-BHP Support

The opposition to helmets in Pune is just a tiny little fraction of the anti-helmet brigade.

Idiots exist everywhere, in much larger numbers.

A percentage of the populace in Mumbai race in & out of traffic without any head protection whatsoever, because smart-ass.

A percentage of motorcyclist population in the US wear no helmets, or the "DOT Approved" 1/2 brain helmets, because freedom.

Leave aside individuals - check the recent Rider Mania pictures (Instagram, or their website), hosted by endeared major motorcycle manufacturer Royal Enfield.
People have proudly posted pictures of themselves riding around with family without helmets, forget jacket, gloves, etc.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st November 2018 at 20:11.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 20:14   #57
Senior - BHPian

I am a Punekar, and I have given up on my fellow citizens. People want to die or get seriously injured due to impact on head, so be it !

The educated ones will wear helmet anyways, what really got my goat was when there was a protest by a political party against this drive at a prominent chowk (Alka Talkies chowk) in Pune few years back and they were asking those people who had worn helmets to remove it Some innocent people intimidated by these low-life thugs had no option but to give in.
NiInJa is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 23:34   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
I am of this belief that the rule of wearing helmets and seatbelts should only be recommendatory and not mandatory.

When these rules are imposed by law, they just become an extra source of income for some of our corrupt traffic police officers.
On some levels, you are right. And I'm not sarcastic. Helmet is not compulsory for motorcycle riders in the US in most states, if not all. While it is not compulsory, it is recommended.

But seatbelts are compulsory. Why? The car density is high, accidents occur often and they are fatal.
Unlike the US, two-wheeler density is high in India. Helmets have to be enforced by law, not made optional. The problem is amplified by our lack of driving discipline and proper infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
But I think medical insurance coverage would still cover an injured individual regardless of whether the rider was wearing a helmet or not...... It shouldn't be covered, yes. But it will be. Why?
This is the problem. I think the government should also support insurance companies in not dealing with cases where proper safety measures aren't followed.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 21st November 2018 at 23:36.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 07:51   #59

Insurance can be denied if people don't wear helmet, but only when those two wheelers have insurance. How many two wheelers have insurance in Pune? And I am sure those elite people who are opposing this rule don't have insurance for their two wheelers and for their lives as well, because they are sure that they won't die if they met an accident at the 20-25 km/hr speed.
pravinlk007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 07:59   #60
Senior - BHPian

How dumb are people!
Normally they would not even bother helping an accident victim lying on the road and would instead click selfies. Now, they want to join hands to oppose a law that is only going to protect their empty tin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks