Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2018, 15:41   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pune Citizens form committee to oppose mandatory helmet rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But asking helmet wearer to remove their helmet is new. That I haven't seen.
Yeah, this is certainly bonkers! Asking people who are being safe to do something unsafe just to support a silly petition! Amazing stupidity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Govt. Should scrap the helmet an seat belt rule, instead make Insurance or compensation null and void for folks not using appropriate safety measures.

Why save people who dont care about their own life, its not like we have a scarcity of people.

On top of that Traffic cops waste too much time pulling over people for seatbelts and helmets, instead, they can be deployed to manage congestions and bottlenecks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Here is a thought which many may not agree to-

A helmet-less rider is first and foremost endangering his own life, so why bother? If he/she has made the decision to put his life at risk, I think we should let them. One moron less on the streets will help everybody.

Also this is something, I have never understood. Why don't insurance companies act tough?
Why not deny claims on accidents, wherein it has been established without doubt that the rider was not wearing a helmet or a driver was not wearing a seatbelt? The police can be instructed to note this detail in their FIR along with all the other things they make a note of.
Would agree with this sentiment 100%! Why try to save someone too willfully stupid to protect himself?! I have a neighbor who rides without a helmet. He had an accident about a year ago, even broke his leg. Still rides around without a helmet! Possibly he feels that since his head didn't suffer, why bother. His whole family does not wear helmets either, including both kids who have just started riding scooters. The wife was complaining the other day that a cop stopped her and fined her for riding without a helmet. I also have a friend who had a pretty bad accident on a bike a few years ago. Broke his teeth and it took some extensive dental work to recover. Guess what, he still skips a helmet 'for such a short distance' sometimes!

I say let such people do what they want. Why should the police waste their time? (of course they will want to pocket the fines) And why should the rest of us bother?

But legally, I guess it will be impossible for any blanket law to be passed that absolves the other party of blame if they are involved in an accident where one party gets injured because they weren't wearing a helmet or weren't wearing a seat belt. An insurance company denying a claim in such instances is one thing, but such a law is another thing all together I guess. So we'll have to suffer these fools unfortunately.

Last edited by am1m : 22nd November 2018 at 15:51.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 15:59   #77
BHPian

This is weirdly fascinating! The biggest joke in India right now are the law makers. They make laws and people blandly disagree to follow it. Like many of us have pointed out, that they should not get insurance claims or it's their choice to adhere or not is again short sighted. I can barely agree with that point, we should understand that people are actually not that educated to understand the impact of falls or how fatal the head injuries can be. We need to educate people first and then have hope for them to follow it.
But we are far from the perfect world, aren't we? It's about time road rules, etiquette and road accidents; should be a part of the curriculum in schools. It's a long walk which Indians have to take to be safe and sensible on road. But we have to start somewhere!

PS: I wear a helmet, an armored jacket and gauntlet gloves to office ever day. There are times when people have asked me why am I so "overdressed" my answer remains same there are people on road who think their life isn't worth, but mine sure is!
bhansali_hardik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 16:17   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
I can barely agree with that point, we should understand that people are actually not that educated to understand the impact of falls or how fatal the head injuries can be. We need to educate people first and then have hope for them to follow it.
How much education does one need to understand that a fall from a moving vehicle on to a hard surface will cause harm to the head and the face?! If a person knows enough to operate a bike, I think they are smart enough to understand the risks of riding without a helmet. So it's because of their choice and not because of their lack of education that they're not wearing one.

What about all the 'educated' people who still ride without helmets? I know quite a few with bachelors degrees and even master's degrees who don't use a helmet for 'short distances'. Because of course the road becomes softer for journeys over short distances!
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 16:17   #79
BHPian

Weren't helmets always compulsory? its just that the police are lax in implementing the rule.
Its a yearly phenomenon in pune that this issue crops up when the police start implementing the rules all of a sudden and then people start complaining about the 'ill effects' of wearing a helmet.

I read a tweet today morning which had an article which stated that pune leads the rest of the cities in maharashtra when it comes to people killed on the road. the article quoted a figure of 9000+ deaths over the last 8 months.

One can only wonder how many could have been saved by a helmet!
Old 22nd November 2018, 17:10   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Also, with so many motorcycling groups, why no group is coming in support of this rule, saying 'Pune Motorcyclists are supporting this rule'?
Excellent point Ani. i am going to do my bit by requesting moderators from my cycling group to spread this message in upcoming cycle ride. It has approximately 1000 riders - Bhakti Shakti Cyclothon.

I am sure they will respond to this, since helmets are compulsory in such events.
I am not a part of it ( As i have to be in Mumbai due to personal reasons ).

Last edited by silverado : 22nd November 2018 at 17:14.
Old 22nd November 2018, 17:12   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
It's not just citizens who oppose it and this is actually round 2.
Even today some cops in chennai stop two-wheeler when both rider and pillion wears helmet, the reason they give is that some chain snatchers follow this as a trick to hide identity.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd November 2018 at 07:14. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 22nd November 2018, 17:50   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I don't know about advanced or not, but in terms of attitude one tends to see more of what one expects. I have had my own set of terrible experiences in TN, but would that be reasonable for me to tar everyone there with the same brush?
Whilst I'm sure that someone who spent half their life in one place and half in another can make valid comparisons, I certainly see your point. In fact, I'd been wondering just how many people of Pune are involved in this now-famous committee.
Old 22nd November 2018, 18:23   #83

Maybe this is an example of natural selection of the 21st century.
Ppl who "adapt" to using helmets survive.
Old 22nd November 2018, 18:25   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_antony View Post
Even today some cops in chennai stop two-wheeler when both rider and pillion wears helmet, the reason they give is that some chain snatchers follow this as a trick to hide identity.
In Assam, I have seen official orders from time to time banning use of full mask helmets. Here is an example

Quote:
The Kokrajhar DM has also prohibited use of full mask helmets by motorcycle riders, use of tinted glass in vehicles, use of microphones at outdoor without permission, carrying and brandishing of weapons, fire arms, bow and arrows, ammunition, explosive substances and any other hazardous tools, procurement, storage, sale and purchase of explosive, crackers and fireworks.
Old 22nd November 2018, 18:33   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
How much education does one need to understand that a fall from a moving vehicle on to a hard surface will cause harm to the head and the face?!
Well said! Yup "earning" a degree and being educated are 2 completely different things.

I recently got into a fight with a guy because I said "why don't you understand the importance of wearing a helmet? Are you stupid?" and he replies, and I quote "who are you calling stupid? I have a PhD! “

Last edited by ampere : 23rd November 2018 at 07:14. Reason: compacted quoted post
Nahushrc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 19:24   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
I don't know if you have come across below mentioned 'dudes' in your cities. In Pune you see;
These specimens exist in all Indian cities. You will all of the specimens mentioned above within a kilometer ride on the western express highway.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd November 2018 at 07:15. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 22nd November 2018, 21:29   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahushrc View Post
I said "why don't you understand the importance of wearing a helmet? Are you stupid?" and he replies, and I quote "who are you calling stupid? I have a PhD!i
The lost art of getting a point across - sometimes positive reinforcement helps! Possibly massage the big ego suggesting that precious head needs better safety for future of society and mankind and solving of more pressing problems plaguing humanity!
Old 23rd November 2018, 07:03   #88
BHPian

I instantly reminded of this instance -

https://timesofindia.com/city/hydera...w/63933368.cms

"No Helmet. I die like real men."
Old 23rd November 2018, 08:48   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
"No Helmet. I die like real men."
While reading this, I just remembered that passive euthanasia is now legal in India. In a landmark decision this year, supreme court allowed the right to die with dignity to all Indian residents.

So I finally understand. In their infinite wisdom, the Pune Anti-Helmet Compulsion Action Committee (AHCAC) have sub-consciously interpreted that SC decision to be in support of the right of a two-wheeler rider to proudly die without wearing helmet. OMG, the law is on their side. Somebody tell them... or don't.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:34   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahushrc View Post
I recently got into a fight with a guy because I said "why don't you understand the importance of wearing a helmet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
The lost art of getting a point across - sometimes positive reinforcement helps! Possibly massage the big ego suggesting that precious head needs better safety for future of society and mankind and solving of more pressing problems plaguing humanity!
I say why bother at all? Why get into fights or try and find ways to convince people who won't be convinced anyway.

If they are kids just starting to ride, that's a different matter (and even then, I think it's their parents' responsibility to make them ride safe), but why waste our emotions trying to change adults too stubborn or too stupid to change?

It's their lives, their choice, let them be. I'd just give them a wide berth on the road, so I don't have a chance of getting involved if some mishap occurs.

Last edited by am1m : 23rd November 2018 at 09:35.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed