Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2018, 20:58   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pune Citizens form committee to oppose mandatory helmet rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
If a bike rider wearing a helmet hits your car and broke his neck, or a leg, or something else, do you want to be held responsible?
In other words, you don't really appreciate the difference a helmet makes. Ever heard of Pareto principle? Head injuries are the leading cause of death in two-wheeler accidents. Not neck, leg or something else. So majority of the effects, are from a small cause. So we should try fix the cause that effects the most. That is how governments make policies like helmet rule, based on data. I am more worried about somebody dying in an accident than any other injury.

Last edited by Samurai : 24th November 2018 at 09:39.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 21:15   #107
Senior - BHPian

I feel the best way to implement this is to start inculcating this habit from school.

Schools should make it mandatory for children to wear helmet while coming to school ( Speaking specifically of Pune where daily most children travel to school on two wheelers ).
Old 23rd November 2018, 21:44   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Way to make a point using a hypothetical situation that totally did not happen.
People say, "Nothing will happen."

They are right: until the day it does.
Old 23rd November 2018, 23:32   #109
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
People say, "Nothing will happen."

They are right: until the day it does.
I have found a simple solution to find answers for most of the situations. Imagine your loved ones in that situation and you will definitely get the most apt answer. Those who are saying ‘let them choose not to wear a helmet and die in accidents’, should ask yourself one simple question,
“Will I ever let my kid to ride a bike without helmet?”
If your answer is same as ‘let them choose their fate’, I have no issue with your stand. But if your answer is ‘No, I won’t’ my question would be ‘why is it that you took a different stand when your kid come into picture?’. Every person may be a mother, a father, a brother or a sister and it won’t be a good sight to see your loved ones ‘dead’. My brother had a bike accident (collided with a bus) some years back and he is alive because of helmet (I have seen bruises on it). He had compound fracture on his right leg, and had undergone plastic surgery as he had lost significant amount of flesh from his leg, but the most consoling factor for us was ‘he is alive’.

Last edited by pavi : 23rd November 2018 at 23:37.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 10:55   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
In other words, you don't really appreciate the difference a helmet makes.
Haha. Yikes. Way to miss the entire point I was trying to make. I properly appreciate the difference a helmet makes. You'll never see me ride a two wheeler without one. Ever.

But it's not for me to decide what others should or shouldn't do with their own life and safety.

Quote:
Ever heard of Pareto principle?
Ever heard of not assuming superiority and letting people make their own life decisions?

Quote:
I am more worried about somebody dying in an accident than any other injury.
Fair point. But what would you be more worried about on the road, the bike going alongside you without a helmet, or the bike coming towards you face first on the wrong side of the road with a helmet on?

Anyway, I think there's nothing further to add here.
Old 24th November 2018, 14:47   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But it's not for me to decide that others should or shouldn't do with their own life and safety.
OK, not insisting that you do. Society, on the other hand, needs to sometimes grow and improve, and, just as it is necessary when bringing up children in one's own family, that means using law to impose such movement.

At the time, the strict law against drinking and driving was seen as a major imposition on human rights. What was Sunday afternoon for, except... drive to the pub, have a few, drive home again! Worse was the law on seatbelts. I don't actually recall about helmets, perhaps because most bikers already wore them, or perhaps just because I was never particular interested in 2-wheeler life.

If you want people to have the freedom to spill their brains, that's fine... let them do it on private roads. Let them not involve other road users. Let them not dirty an ambulance with their grey matter.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 12:24   #112
BANNED

The best part about this extremely stupid news is not that the rule is being opposed, even more hilarious is the fact that influential people; who, are supposed to spread awareness and help people adapt, are actually standing on the front line. No wonder, it's a democracy and the leaders will do anything that makes the voters happy. Two quotes to sum it all up quite well:

"The great thing about democracy is that it gives every voter a chance to do something stupid." - Art Spander

"Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve." - George Bernard Shaw
Old 26th November 2018, 09:46   #113
BHPian

In today's news (a local Marathi news paper), I read that the committee is against the compulsion and not the use of helmet it seems.

Still, can't argue the logic. I don't know what's the better way to make people enforce their own safety?
Old 26th November 2018, 10:35   #114
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
In today's news (a local Marathi news paper), I read that the committee is against the compulsion and not the use of helmet it seems.

Still, can't argue the logic. I don't know what's the better way to make people enforce their own safety?
So they are not against the use of helmet (basically they indirectly support the helmet usage), but oppose those who say 'You should wear a helmet while riding your two wheeler'. It is like some one saying 'I support injections, but I am against (syringe) needle being used on people's skin'.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 10:42   #115
Senior - BHPian

Road rule activists rubbish helmet scarcity theory.

Quote:
Contrary to the claim made by people opposing the helmet compulsion from January 1 next year, manufacturers and road safety activists have said the ISI-marked headgear for the children were easily available in the market.
Full Story.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 17:30   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Road rule activists rubbish helmet scarcity theory.

Full Story.
We have a thread dedicated to this - Helmet for Kids. (Helmets for Kids)

I have bought a helmet for my 5.5 yr old son and have been using it for close to a year now, which is documented here. (Helmets for Kids)

These are just some stupid excuses for not wearing helmets.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 10:38   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post

You make it like the seatbelt law in some US states by applying it cumulatively i.e you will not be stopped or fined just for not wearing a helmet.
-However, If you were stopped for another infraction and found not wearing a helmet then you will incur extra fines.
-To take it further, If you were involved in an accident and were found not wearing a helmet then you will be considered 'at fault' automatically for legal and insurance purposes.
So no compulsion outright but heavy consequences if incidents happen.
smooth indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 10:45   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth indian View Post
... found not wearing a helmet then you will be considered 'at fault' automatically for legal and insurance purposes..
Let's get realistic for a bit.

We live in a country where victims of personal stupidity (or surviving relatives of Darwin awardees) demand and often get paid princely sums as compensation at taxpayers' expense. People like you and me pick up the tab, money that could go to more productive endeavors and solving constructive problems.

Expecting a country to follow legal and insurance regulations where the majority neither believes in following the law nor buying insurance is a pipe-dream.

Let's dream big but start small.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 16:43   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

T-BHP does not allow short posts. If permitted my post would say - "NUTS"

All puns intended.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 17:09   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
T-BHP does not allow short posts. If permitted my post would say - "NUTS"
I had the same sort of word in mind until I read a few more comments that points towards the following.

1. Personal safety should be left to oneself
2. One less moron on the road
3. Additional liability of car owners in case of accidents - (thinking aloud)Why should two wheelers pay for a helmet so that they can help car owners avoid liability?

We humans really are creative minds.

Solutions :
Since attempted suicide is now decriminalized I think helmet-less travel should be considered as a mental health disorder, police should detain these people and send them for counselling rather than slapping a fine. Lets be kind to helmet-less folks. I know thanksgiving is long over, but..
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks