Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2018, 14:48   #121
BHPian

Re: Pune Citizens form committee to oppose mandatory helmet rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Let's get realistic for a bit.

We live in a country where victims of personal stupidity (or surviving relatives of Darwin awardees) demand and often get paid princely sums as compensation at taxpayers' expense. People like you and me pick up the tab, money that could go to more productive endeavors and solving constructive problems.

Expecting a country to follow legal and insurance regulations where the majority neither believes in following the law nor buying insurance is a pipe-dream.

Let's dream big but start small.
I don't disagree with you.
I am merely suggesting a workaround in the law or at least in its implementation. By adding indirect penalties for not wearing helmets it MIGHT dawn upon these modern day 'Alices in wonderland' that there can be unintended repercussions to their foolhardiness.
Old 2nd December 2018, 09:53   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth indian View Post
.... there can be unintended repercussions to their foolhardiness.
This has been repeated ad nauseum, but apparently can't be stressed enough.

Neither the foolhardiness nor its consequences will be experienced in isolation. Nobody wants a dead idiot, foolhardy or not, on their conscience or legal record. If people care more for their coiffure than the grey matter in their noggin, they're free to stop riding two-wheelers.

There aren't any laws against being a fool, there shouldn't be any for it either.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2018, 21:19   #123
BHPian

https://punemirror.indiatimes.com/pu...cms?frmapp=yes

Not Satire.
Attached Thumbnails
Pune Citizens form committee to oppose mandatory helmet rule-1544888943317.jpg  

atnyia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 21:11   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Dy. Comm. of Police (Traffic) stick with the Jan 1 deadline for mandatory head gear.

Pune Citizens form committee to oppose mandatory helmet rule-11.jpg
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:10   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Some encouraging news - Pune gets its helmet on, rebels fail to evade fines

I hope this continues. Now for some tips for car drivers having ridden and driven in Pune for nearly 3.5 decades:

a) Most 2 wheelers in Pune don't have side view mirrors, bike owners take them off for fear of theft. Helmets reduce the rider's peripheral vision and SVMs are mandatory to navigate safely through traffic. Keep a safe distance from such riders.

b) Hearing - wearing a helmet will obviously impact the hearing. It is therefore important to honk (I don't like using the horn but in Indian traffic its mandatory) or keep distance if required in order to prevent startling the rider.

c) Riders unaccustomed to wearing helmets generally aren't able to gauge road speed and engine revs. Some feel invincible thinking the helmet will protect their melon under all conditions. This leads to overconfidence and speeding. If you see a rider going at unsafe speeds let them pass and keep distance. There's no solution for foolish people yet. In an inadvertent collision between a 2 wheeler and a car results in the car owner/driver nearly always being blamed.

d) Please install and use a dash cam if possible.
R2D2 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 20:21   #126

Stupidity at its best
I had even read in the related news that a sitting MLA or MLC has threatened openly the police to try and implement the rule. His standing is that they should first manage traffic properly before implementing such rules.
At the end of the day, i feel we indians are more apt for a danda afterall.

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th January 2019 at 18:32. Reason: Typo for properly.
Old 2nd January 2019, 22:05   #127
BHPian

These helmet less "machos" don't have the guts to face a cricket ball from a school level medium pacer without a helmet, pads, chest,arm and groin guard!!
A 5.5 oz thing at 50kmph is too "risky" for these people but a 2 ton SUV at relative speed of 30 kmph is not "risky"!!!
As a pedestrian or a fellow rider/driver I am very scared of people riding with unclipped helmets or helmets in a hand or on the RVM. I have experienced 2 recent incidents of helmets flying off like a projectile.
freedom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 16:59   #128
BHPian

Hello Riders,

Pune Citizens form committee to oppose mandatory helmet rule-img_20190104_165221.jpg

In today's Times of India, Pune edition there is an article about helmets which states helmets only with ISI, DOT, ECE & Snell ratings (any) will be allowed. This is great news!

Pune Citizens form committee to oppose mandatory helmet rule-img_20190104_165335.jpg

Sellers of non-standard helmets will be fined and jailed.

Enjoy your ride!

-surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 17:10   #129
BHPian

Despite the protest, I can see a surge in helmet usage in Pune since last week.

Not bad at all! Kudos to Pune police.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 19:04   #130
BHPian

While coming to office today, I was pleasantly surprised to see 80% of the two wheeler riders wearing helmets. More so about 50% of those who had pillions, both were wearing them.

I travel between Viman Nagar and Magarpatta, so its this side of the city. I hope the same is being observed elsewhere.
damanbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 22:24   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Ignorance is entertainment!

I am liking all that these social groups are doing in the name of opposition of mandatory helmet rule. It makes the start of a new year more exciting.

Pune Group Conducts 'Funeral' For Helmet Because They'd Rather Be Dead Than Bald
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 12:22   #132
BHPian

Absolute failure of democracy and freedom of speech with these protests. Not only are they promoting illegal and life threatening practices, they are doing all this at a crematorium no less! According to the times of India article, there were three other families who were performing last rites of their deceased kin when these protestors rushed in, blocked the entrance(and exit) for a long time while indulging in their idiocy.

Quote:
Another man said, “Helmets must be used. People who do not use them will come here, prematurely.”
- an absolutely savage fellow at the crematorium

With the level of intellect on display here, I am sure the minds behind this dumpster-fire must be patting their backs and thinking "Yes, that should get ALL THE VOTES"
Old 16th February 2019, 08:40   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Why should Pune guys lead in idiocy. Puducherry folks don't want to be left behind

Puducherry Chief Minister himself led the Dharna outside Lt Governor's residence against the rule making wearing helmets compulsory for motorists. And in the protest they also broke helmets to show their dissent to the rule

Quote:
Legislators belonging to All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) broke helmets in the assembly premises on Tuesday to protest against the rule, which made wearing helmets mandatory, without creating awareness on its use.

The MLAs staged the protest to also condemn Lieutenant Governor's action to implement the rule and flayed her style of functioning which, they said, was arbitrary.
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...584-2019-02-12
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 10:56   #134
BANNED

It is high time that our courts for involved. The same thing was going round in the UK. Any accident claim was reduced 3x by the courts, and compliance came very fast. Mrs T also opposed compulsory usage of belts.
Old 24th June 2019, 09:25   #135
BHPian

The madness doesn't seem to stop

Check out @prachee_mirror’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/prachee_mirror/s...822636544?s=09
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks