Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2019, 17:33   #16
BANNED

Re: Why do 2-wheeler lights dim / brighten depending on accelerator input?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
@dark.knight More than the technical reasons, the bigger reason for this happening is Corporate Greed.

There are 7 motorcycle brands that Bajaj Auto sells, only one has this issue (CT100/110, costs ₹33k). Everything else, including the lowly Platina 100 (costing ₹40k and change) has full DC electricals. And this is not a recent development either. It has been this way since at least 8-10 years.
Well, you can't really call it corporate greed, at least in the case of the CT100B.

The engine is a direct lift of the Kawasaki 4S Champion engine that came in 1991, and the last motorcycle to maintain the AC CDI configuration when even its Honda counterpart the Splendor started coming with DC CDI's.

So for enthusiasts like myself, the sole reason to opt for the CT100B is its authenticity(read benefits of owning an older engine) and rugged configuration which ensures that though the electricals run pathetically the ignition stays independent of the battery, meaning come hell or high water the engine would keep firing.

Not a reason for everyone, but just chiming my appreciation for Bajaj having kept things simple as long as they could with the CT100B I.e even though they've silently phased out the old engine with the new one.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 04:20   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post

You could tap 12v DC as mentioned before and run the LED, which is what most users do, but I'm not a fan because in the event that the LED blows when you're riding in the middle of the night in no-man's land you'd be forced to stop and be at the mercy of god knows what, and the worst part is you won't see it coming, like literally!
Hi Ashwin: Even halogens can conk off in the middle of nowhere; is there any particular reason you are mentioning about the blowout risk with LEDs?
Old 7th December 2021, 11:08   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumedik View Post
Hi Ashwin: Even halogens can conk off in the middle of nowhere; is there any particular reason you are mentioning about the blowout risk with LEDs?
1. Availablity.
2. Price.
3. Ease of Carrying Spare.
4. Ease of Replacing said Spare.

If my motorcycle is strictly used for commutes then the above wouldn't matter much, but at the same time if it is an interstate tourer then it would make all the difference.

Hope that clarifies things.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 20:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
1. Availablity.
2. Price.
3. Ease of Carrying Spare.
4. Ease of Replacing said Spare.
Availability and price restrictions is certainly valid, but I feel ease of carrying/replacing spare is similar to that of a halogen bulb. it is all about changing a bulb and even LEDs use standard HS1/H4 sockets these days.
Old 23rd July 2023, 10:46   #20
BHPian

Has anyone measured the dc side volts output of halogen headlight socket where the light output is not from Battery? I saw that it has got only 7/7.5 in low/high beams respectively.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks