Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2019, 12:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tamil Nadu: Dealers to provide helmets with new 2-wheelers

The Transport Commissioner of Tamil Nadu has instructed that manufacturers or dealers must provide a helmet at the time of purchase of a new 2-wheeler.

Tamil Nadu: Dealers to provide helmets with new 2-wheelers-helmet.jpg

The order is in line with the Central Motor Vehicle Act, rule 138 (4) (f) 1989, which states that at the time of purchase of a two-wheeler, the manufacturer of the two-wheeler shall supply protective head gear which meets the specifications prescribed by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).

According to a report published in March 2019, Tamil Nadu recorded 12,216 road fatalities in 2018. While the total number of deaths caused due to road accidents has decreased compared to 2017, 2-wheeler riders constituted 33% of the total fatalities.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 17th April 2019 at 12:09.
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 14:37   #2
BANNED

Re: Tamil Nadu: Dealers to provide helmets with new 2-wheelers

This is how Kerala has been rolling for the past couple of years.

The upside is that everyone gets a helmet, the downside is that I am forced to pay for a Rs.500/- helmet in spite of owning one that is at least 10~20x times more expensive and affirms to safety standards that actually are worth investing in.

That's Incredible India for you.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 16:13   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
That's Incredible India for you.
A lot of truth to that statement.

When framing policy, the government needs to focus on what will work for the majority. (Which, none of us on this forum belong to, that is the reality.)

It's going to be hard to enforce a selective policy where a dealer can check if the customer already has a better helmet, etc, so something is better than nothing.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 17:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
This is how Kerala has been rolling for the past couple of years.
Same case in Gujarat as well. Dealers are expected to give a helmet along with the 2 wheeler. From what I have seen, they are not 500/- ones in most cases. I think they are giving half face helmets from Studds and the likes. RE gives their RE branded half face helmets along with the bike. I'm sure that they are retailing at a much higher price than 500/-

Quote:
I am forced to pay for a Rs.500/- helmet in spite of owning one that is more expensive and affirms to safety standards
Well, the percentage of riders wearing such a helmet is far and few. I'd still say that these helmets would be much better than the 100/- ones people pick up from the roadside to avoid the fines. So, from a bigger perspective, this is certainly a welcome move.

Ride safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed