Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2022, 01:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Safe Riding in the Rains

One thing i ensure when riding in rain is to avoid being beside any vehicle on a 4 lane road. Most rear view mirrors are useless in rains, this aggravates at night. A larger vehicle changing lanes might miss your two wheeler this its best to either follow a vehicle or overtake one.
Old 18th June 2022, 02:05   #17
BHPian

I follow the practice of riding in a higher gear during rains, generally 1 gear higher then what i would in dry conditions.

Helps in reducing torque to the rear wheel and reduce chances of slipping.

Another thing i do is stick only to known routes, no matter if it's crowded and google maps shows another less crowded route, i prefer sticking to the route i know the best so that i am not surprised with unknown potholes or speed breakers or any such thing which needs my attention to spot, helps me focus my energy on other vehicles and stay safe.
Old 18th June 2022, 08:16   #18

One tip that i follow during riding a motorcycle in rain with a full face helmet is to drill about a 3-4 mm wide hole on either side of a visor. These holes allow air to push inside the visor and maintain a temperature difference lower than a normal helmet without any holes at the visor.
The lower temperatures results in less fogging and such small holes rarely increase wind noise ( above 60kmph almost all sub 2000 rupees helmets have high wind noise )

Also as a quick fix while riding in the rain to avoid getting drenched from your own motorcycle splashes keep a pair of plastic trash bags handy . If caught in an unexpected downpour ( without any rain gear ) they can be a life saver. We all agree that water and leather boots are not exactly friends. Wrap the trash bags around legs from your lower knee upto your ankle. Usually water that splashes on the top of shoes can be easily buffed out. However water that seeps inside is a real pain to dry, soils the socks, creates unpleasant smells and also damages the cushioning in the shoes. Besides you also have a nicer looking pants after riding in the rain .
They are quite easy to store in the underseat storage of any motorcycle or even if you dont have one keep one in your office bag. 😀
Old 18th June 2022, 13:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRATAYA View Post
One tip that i follow during riding a motorcycle in rain with a full face helmet is to drill about a 3-4 mm wide hole on either side of a visor. These holes allow air to push inside the visor and maintain a temperature difference lower than a normal helmet without any holes at the visor.
PRATAYA - I wouldn’t make any changes to the integrity of a helmet by drilling holes in the visor or any such thing.

You could either buy a anti fog visor or have a helmet which allows pin lock inserts to alleviate the issue of fogging inside the visor.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 22:26   #20
BHPian

Roads like this with the combination of unpredictable canine packs almost resulted in a crash. Folks, I felt that I should share the picture of roads like this as many of us are oblivious to braking on these smooth, brick-topped roads. These roads are especially common in suburban areas of Kolkata.
Even though I was riding at ~30 kph I could feel the rear tyre trying to sneak out . With the top layer worn off, the surface has now become slippery even after small downpours and any hard braking (even at 30-35) leads to skidding. I feel that such skidding will be more on two-wheelers. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Safe Riding in the Rains-20220626_132900.jpg  

Kuldeep31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 19:22   #21
BHPian

Nowadays there is so much of electronics in a bike like ABS, Traction Control etc.

Remember these are safety aids to assist you, so do not blindly rely on these and ride irresponsibly/ recklessly in rains/wet roads.

Your riding skill and instinct are your best aids. Trust them.

Also, modern bikes, though reliable, have lot of sensors. So, avoid getting into deep water logged areas as water accumulation can cause damage to these sensors over a period of time, if not cleaned properly.

Lastly, always wash and clean the bike after a ride in the rain. Rain water and slush of water logged areas cause metal to catch rust faster.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks