Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2020, 15:32   #61
BHPian

Re: Bengaluru Superbike Rider arrested for doing 300 km/h on flyover

Over speeding on public roads is a Crime . Period !
Riding is an art and most of us enjoy it but don't understand why certain people put others in harms way. Though I am not convinced with the speedo,
to me it looks like somewhere in the high 100s that too is dangerous in Indian roads.

Tracks are something we all dream for. Hope we will evolve on that front.
Old 22nd July 2020, 15:50   #62
BHPian

This is just careless.

Looking at this incident and to shed some light on the huge stash of Indian vloggers and other lunatics making endless videos of their speed conquests, sharing and co-ordinating such stunts on civilian roads, it might be possible that lot of youngsters are not getting a controlled environment to express their skills. There are some good Samaritans who organize events where all precautions are taken and then people can go ahead and have fun. Apart from such events there is no dedicated space/track/road specially in and around bengaluru, which can be utilized. Trust me some of these lunatics are actually good, if only if they were proving their skills competitively and be a professional race enthusiast/stuntman/racer than behaving like such inbred morons on roads.

Hope there could be some way of harnessing india's fast paced youth potential.
Old 22nd July 2020, 16:00   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
But can Ford Focus do 730kmph I guess you meant 330kmph, No?
I should have made a clearer statement. It was due to a faulty speed camera. And that is why I thought this was a similar case. Alas, this guy was really an idiot.

Also, the focus can't do 330. It's top speed in RS variant is 266 kmph

Last edited by GrandTourer : 22nd July 2020 at 16:10.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 16:14   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
But can Ford Focus do 730kmph I guess you meant 330kmph, No?

I don't dare to cross 120kmph in car not sure how this guys do 300kmph in bike! Police did the right thing by putting such person in jail.
That Ford Focus case was due to a malfunctioning speed camera. https://www.foxnews.com/world/speed-...h-ancona-italy
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 17:13   #65
BHPian

Before I got my bike, I was scared of such bikers. I thought I'd be more scared of cars after I started riding myself, but I still get scared of such bikers. More than the speed, the way he passes by so close is a recipe for disaster. So many times, I have had other bikers passing by really close to me on the highways, without leaving any space or even any warning. It is as if we enjoy it. Even a cycle has to be left space on the side (as per global standards of common sense).

I couldn't be happier that this guy got caught. Speeding on highways is still, well, understandable to an extent (because who among us humans have proper control over their emotions?) But in the city, at those speeds, he could easily kill 3-4 people on an unlucky day. That is not a 'biker', but a 'killer', and deserves a relevant treatment from the authorities. Sadly, him getting caught with his bike impounded would have only increased his cult status among bikers.

I am a 'biker' too, for the sake of definition. And there should be at least some ounce of responsibility that we should all share in terms of how we contribute to the road environment of our country. It is bad enough before we get going. The least we can do is to not contribute in a more negative way. Otherwise, we are just a bunch of hypocrites on 2 wheels.

Last edited by Parishrut : 22nd July 2020 at 17:16. Reason: Removed spaces between lines.
Old 22nd July 2020, 18:29   #66
BHPian

Ok he messed up by putting up this video.

But but, haven't all "riders" broken the speed limit? On city roads and on highways! Hand on your heart- anyone who has a >400cc bike can say that s/he hasn't? And I doubt anywhere in our country, on any highway, two wheelers have a speed limit above 80kmph.

As everyone has mentioned- not only there are a lot of "Top Speed" videos but just check videos of travel vloggers, breakfast ride videos, everyone is going above speed limits.

So, yes this guy messed up by "putting up the video". He is reckless and put many lives in danger. He may or may not be an accomplished rider but 300 kmph is insane.

So is 100 kmph then. Or anything above the speed limit. Or even below it for new rider.

There is no solution to this but let's just keep the hypocrisy aside. In the eyes of law there is no reckless/immature/noobie vs confident/mature/professional once you cross the speed limit.

PS: I know I might have just set a target on my forehead. Peace!
bhargavd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 18:31   #67
Senior - BHPian

The one biker who stood up for them seems to have doubled down. His logic is speed limits are for cities but on access-controlled expressways this is fine. Ahem.

(The post is public)

Bengaluru Superbike Rider arrested for doing 300 km/h on flyover-sbk.jpeg

This line in particular sums of these speed demons.

Quote:
Racers like @Bluebeast and @10r_on_steroids come with sheer will, as zipping through a bumpy highway at 300 kmph while maintaining safety, is a no mean feat.
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 18:44   #68
Senior - BHPian

He's got a "Ticket to/for ride"! 300 kmph is insane speed. More of Autobahn stuff than Indian roads he was weaving like crazy on the flyover at those speeds if you sneeze you're done and dusted!
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 18:54   #69
BHPian

Wow... Definitely someone that has done this many times before. Finally got caught.

This reminds me of the Peter Parker Principle "With great power comes great responsibility" and this is a perfect example of being "Irresponsible".

I'm sure there are tracks that could be hired to get the adrenaline rush. Like someone said, they are paying premium prices, taxes and spending to maintain such machines, I'm sure they can afford to hire a track.

I hope he learnt something and set an example for the rest.
Old 22nd July 2020, 19:13   #70
BHPian

I must admit that I have occasionally touched 100 kmph on 'normal' 150 cc bikes a few times on the outer ring road and the airport expressway.

That is, I felt, was the maximum any two wheeler can take on city roads considering our regular dangers.

Maybe even 100 kmph is too much!.

300? Unbelievable courage (unwanted though).
Old 22nd July 2020, 19:34   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
The one biker who stood up for them seems to have doubled down. His logic is speed limits are for cities but on access-controlled expressways this is fine. Ahem.
It is moments like this where I wish that being stupid could be classified as a crime. Perhaps the problem is that we don't have enough space in our jails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargavd View Post
But but, haven't all "riders" broken the speed limit?
Going 90 in an 80 zone is very different from going 300 in an 80 zone. The first one makes you a law breaker, the second one makes you stupid beyond all hope. All legal systems, including ours, recognize different degrees of violation and punish accordingly.

By the way, for those active on Facebook, please put out messages supporting Bengaluru police for this arrest. It sounds like these rogues are trying to paint the police in a bad light which is rubbish. They've done a good job in this case by getting this menace off the roads and should be supported for it.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 22nd July 2020 at 19:38.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 19:39   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post

300? Unbelievable courage (unwanted though).
It's all magic of the motorcycle, Rider can hardly feel the wind blast due to aerodynamics and the motor feels stress free and revv happy. Although courage is needed;the breaks, electronics and engine gives a lot of confidence.
Vyas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 20:15   #73
BHPian

From the moronic philosopher Rajarshi Bose's post its clear he is either high on something or he is one rider the cops should not fine if he is ever caught without a helmet....not much inside that head for a helmet to protect.

As per his quote
Racers like @Bluebeast and @10r_on_steroids come with sheer will, as zipping through a bumpy highway at 300 kmph while maintaining safety, is a no mean feat.

Zipping at 300kmph on a 2 lane flyover without even a proper road shoulder "maintaining safety" to me means just that due to some stroke of luck the ride did not end his or others life that day! I cant find any other definition for that rider maintaining safety.

Anyways, after taking multiple looks at the video (esp the 1:15 mark of the Innova, Etios and small bike), there is a chance his speedo is over reading but still the idiot is doing way above 200 plus and definitely needs some very harsh punishment.

Btw, on many weekends, bikers on the Kolar route and Hassan highway routinely do 240-250+kmph, but just dont post on YT. Some years back a super rich biker on an early morning speed run collided with a villager on the Kolar route and while his bike was totaled, he miraculously escaped with minor injuries due to his full riding gear (rather luck was on his side that day!) and managed to abandon the bike & run away from the site in the support car before people gather and lynch him. Sadly the poor elderly villager didnt make it. But with deep pockets and clout, I gather he 'adequately' took care of the family and cops and got away with some small overspeeding/reckless driving offence case officially paying a few thousands.

Coming to the larger implication for all of us big bike owners, god forbid in the coming weeks if there is any superbike accident, as a knee jerk reaction, there is a good chance the cops will again go into overdrive mode on catching anybody & everybody with full riding gear. Sadly, unlike 15-20 years back when most superbikers were rich guys with deep pockets and connections, and one phone call is all that would be needed for the cops to back off, today many superbikers are regular guys/gals who own one of these beauties for their passion and hobby and when cops swoop down as a whole it is this group that will have to face most harassment and being held up in the police station for hours etc while the other group will still find a easy way out of the sticky situation.

Last edited by Haroon : 22nd July 2020 at 20:17.
Haroon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 20:22   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Is there any chance that the speedo is erroneous! There is a moment in the video (around 1:15) when the fellow negotiates between two cars and a bike, crossing lanes and back, all above 110. That's impossible at that speed, besides the other three vehicles do appear to be doing fairly average speeds.
Nothing wrong here, you can see at 1:16 that he’s doing 95km/h, and still seems to be moving ahead of the two cars and not actually at the same speed. The cars may have been doing say anywhere between 80-90km/h. This is also over the speed limit, and definitely was rash as two cars side by side on a flyover (and a bike!) isn’t exactly the definition of safe. But considering the good condition of the road it can be said that some cars do occasionally hit the 100 mark here when there is no traffic ahead.

Last edited by Pegasus1134 : 22nd July 2020 at 20:23. Reason: Added a tiny sentence
Pegasus1134 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 21:23   #75
BHPian

The video's speed (299kmph) seems near genuine. At this speed, you're doing about 85 metres/ second.
And you're covering 1 kms mark every 12 seconds... Not dangerous according to superbikers, is it?

While I may sympathize with the rider, seeing his bike seized and his arrest, I can't empathize with him, no matter what his self-indemnifying, self glorifying explanation on Facebook is...

Some statements that the typical Superbike owners give and my responses to them are given below [in quoted part]:-

We didn't spend 25 Lakhs to ride @ 50 kmph.
Quote:
No, you actually did. If you don't have access to a racetrack, then you actually did. Weren't you aware of rules before purchasing the bike? Ignorance of law is no excuse, any B.A.LLB. lawyer will attest. Nobody told you to spend 25 lakhs and overspeed with it.
Plus, you can't say you didn't get value for your money. You're getting a very good frame, solid brakes and tyres that are ultra safe at 50 kmph, a reputation factor even at 0 speed, girls get attracted like hell to such machines, and even if that doesn't work, solid acceleration that doesn't require overspeeding is present. You still do a better 0-60 than most of us.
We're safe riders, we wear riding gears...
Quote:
... which is not an excuse to break rules and scare unknown people, giving them missed heartbeats while overtaking them. Only bullies harass unknown people like that.
The common rider who wants to go from A to B has also paid road tax, and he doesn't give a damn if you don gears or not, if you scare him with dangerous riding.
I've been rudely overtaken by a Busa at 1-2 feet distance and I (on Duke 390 @ 50-60) felt like I wasn't moving at all. I missed a beat. The guy was doing 160+ I think. It was a bully move, nothing I would ever do to a common unknown 100cc commuter. Not even to enemy.
Try understanding their point of view too. One of them might be a worker who's riding with an earlier broken back/ arm, or maybe internal injuries. Maybe a guy who has weak nervous system and doesn't have money to get psychic treatment (or treatment going on). You become a bully when you do such stuff.
If we're catching a person who touches 300 kmph, we must catch everyone who exceeds 60 kmph...
Quote:
Agreed, but there's a thing about law. Whataboutery may work on your friends group, or your typical political discussions on Facebook, but it doesn't work in law. Just because rapists from 1984 and 2002 riots haven't been caught, doesn't mean you won't punish a rapist today. Or you go ahead and rape people, citing this failure of law.
Case to case basis is how law works.
And law is for a purpose, its not meant to be dumb. I'm sure such gentlemen would easily understand the implications of a crash of 65 kmph vs one at 300 kmph. And this guy, Rajshri is free to film all 65 kmph riders and submit it to Bengaluru Traffic Police. Who stops him, tell me?
Just don't do whataboutery on Facebook to defend breaking rules, your self indemnification doesn't concern the law. Every rule breaker, every criminal has an excuse, which doesn't matter.
And those reporting his profile, remember I'm a biker aged 34 and I support you. He's not God.
If you're so speed addicted, there're racetracks for you. Pay the money, make trips, improve yourself, go to JK cups, participate, improve, raise the country's flag. Don't we love Rajni sir? Or Sarath?
Crashes happen due to other people, and their foolish crossing ways, etc. not bikers..
Quote:
..Correct. Agreed. It happens all the time. I faced villagers crossing highways without looking. Hema Malini's driver crashed her Mercedes into a Maruti 800 which was wrongly crossing the road without looking. Always the slower lane guy or turning guy should ensure everyone's safety.
So, this is your excuse to cross 300 kmph? Think about why the law was made in the first place, maybe because each and every villager can't be taught all this, right?
Our laws are outdated...
Quote:
... and that works great for us, because our country's people and machines are outdated as well. We're not ready for high speeds yet.
So... what's your argument again?
We're not ready. Not physically, not mentally. We sway lanes without indicators.
We can't make our country Japan or Germany overnight. It takes time. I'm in favour of responsible speed limits. They increase as our traffic sense increases. Simple. Let the law work its course.
Modi Govt did increase nationwide speed limit on bikes from 50 to 80 kmph, right?

I wish to state that I'm a Duke 390 rider who's seen 172 kmph on his speedo, on.... Buddh International Circuit only.
On Roads, I ride at signalled/safe speeds, which is never above 80 kmph no matter what the road is, in compliance with law made by Modi Govt's Gadkari ji (correct me if I'm wrong).
And who says I'm underutilising my machine? When I rev high in 1st gear, I experience the rush at around 60 kmph, 44 bhp's without breaking a single rule... So, its not as if my machine is not used well.
I can't break rules, Sorry. Can't support rule breakers either, no matter their love for bikes.

And I make it clear- No Tolerance Policy for such bullies.
Deep pockets doesn't mean you purchased the law.

Law is for everyone. Me too.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd July 2020 at 08:26. Reason: Replaced bolds with quotes, looks better. Thanks.
Samarth 619 is offline   (23) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks