Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2021, 11:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Open umbrella on motorcycle will invite penalty in Kerala

Name:  umbrella.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  73.2 KB

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Isn’t the sight of riders and pillion riders using umbrellas while travelling on two-wheelers a bit worrying? You can relax now. The Motor Vehicles Department has decided to penalise such umbrella users. The decision was taken in the wake of rising accidents due to the use of umbrellas during two-wheel rides.

Transport Commissioner MR Ajithkumar has directed the regional and joint regional transport officers to impose penalties on violators. The letter also insists on increasing inspections on the road and conducting awareness programmes.

Read
nairrk is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 12:32   #2
BHPian

re: Open umbrella on motorcycle will invite penalty in Kerala

This issue has always puzzled me. Whenever it rains, all the two-wheelers stop under the bridges to shelter themselves from rain. That slows down the traffic even further, and always pisses me off.

But I understand the situation - if they proceed, they'll definitely get drenched, might slip, there would be several car drivers who would overtake them with one-inch-gap while splashing tons of water on them.

So what can they do? Stopping causes problems. Moving is dangerous. Umbrellas case accidents.

Last edited by N.A.GTC : 8th October 2021 at 12:49. Reason: User anb corrected my doubt, so removing that part to avoid confusion.
N.A.GTC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 12:46   #3
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
So what can they do? Stopping causes problems. Moving is dangerous. Umbrellas case accidents, apparently, though I don't know how.
This is a very good move. The below video shows how accident happens.
anb is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 12:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
This is a very good move. The below video shows how accident happens.
https://Youtu.be/XvYROdfIki4
Thanks! I didn't know! That indeed is very dangerous.

My question is - what should two-wheelers do when it rains? Stopping under a bridge seems to be the best option then, perhaps.

Might be OT, but still found it relatable for the thread.
N.A.GTC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 13:00   #5
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I didn't know! That indeed is very dangerous.

My question is - what should two-wheelers do when it rains? Stopping under a bridge seems to be the best option then, perhaps.

Might be OT, but still found it relatable for the thread.
They can use raincoat. Getting drenched in rain is a much better option than losing the precious life or getting a serious injury due to accident.
anb is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 13:02   #6
BHPian

So this is what we have come to. Fines for stupidity.

Have seen couple of news article where this dangerous behaviour has resulted in fatal accidents, so good move by MVD.

from me.

Last edited by SideView : 8th October 2021 at 13:04.
SideView is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 13:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Would be something like this! I think it's stupid to use an umbrella on a bike!
Attached Images

Last edited by Durango Dude : 8th October 2021 at 13:47.
Durango Dude is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 14:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Very good move to introduce this fine, hope it’s publicised well also, so people are aware of the fine and more importantly the danger involved in this. I feel mostly people are not aware or don’t really understand the risk they put themselves in by opening an umbrella on two wheelers.

Cheers
Old 8th October 2021, 15:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you kidding me? They can stop on the side of the road, near an atm or find a tree or simply have the foresight to bring a raincoat. Worst case scenario they can slow down move to the extreme left and find some cozy lane to dip into. Stopping under bridges and clogging up traffic is straight up illiterate behavior.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 15:18   #10
BHPian

Why umbrellas when you have clear plastic sacks? This seems to be taken in India from what I can make out of the writing in the background.

Name:  b.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  47.9 KB
Indian2003 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 15:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
The Motor Vehicles Department has decided to penalise such umbrella users. The decision was taken in the wake of rising accidents due to the use of umbrellas during two-wheel rides.
I wonder how many people must've gotten into accidents on 2-wheelers with umbrellas that MVD had to take a decision about something that should be common sense.

I hope they're also considering ways to educate road users. Simply fining people for X and Y isn't the long term solution. Without educating road users, we'll end up with countless other dangerous acts that then need to be "banned".

Quote:
So what can they do? Stopping causes problems. Moving is dangerous. Umbrellas case accidents.
Commuting on a 2-wheeler when it might rain is tricky business. However, to ensure I keep myself safe - I usually do the following.

1. Zip the rain liner inside my riding jacket. This stays like this during the entire monsoon season. Even if someone doesn't have a riding jacket, they can at least get a basic raincoat & rainpant. It can usually be folded really into a small bag.
2. Carry a separate plastic bag to keep my wallet, phone and anything else that needs to be kept dry.
3. I usually don't stop when it rains - I turn on all my lights and ride really slowly. But I really like riding in the rain, so perhaps that's not for everyone. If someone wants to stop, I think they should stop at a place where (a) there's no danger to themselves or other people on the road, and (b) there's no obstruction to the flow of traffic.

Last edited by JoeTheWanderer : 8th October 2021 at 15:46. Reason: spelling
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 16:00   #12
Team-BHP Support

I love Kerala & Kerala MVD for being at the forefront for bringing in rules which will go a long way in making our roads safer, for both active and passive user. Someone sure has foresight.

Implementation / corruption etc is a completely different topic, but bringing in laws which will enhance the safety of all road users is a welcome move.
Sheel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 17:19   #13
BHPian

Sad to see something which should have been common sense, being enforced by law. Kudos to MR Ajithkumar and team.

This umbrella menace is just not restricted to accidents caused by reduced visibility or drag as in the video above. The tips of the metal ribs can be deadly too. I am eye witness to an accident years ago, where a dude waiting on the footpath to cross the road had his eye gouged out by an umbrella sporting rider in Pune.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 17:29   #14
BHPian

I've also seen lone riders open their umbrellas and struggle to hold on to them while riding the bike at the same time. It's dangerous indeed and not just for them, but even for other people on the road.
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 18:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Are you kidding me? .
No, I'm asking a genuine question arising out of my concern for two-wheeler riders. If you read my post, you'll see that I did mention the clogging up of traffic as the precise reason why that's not a good move. Hence, my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
Commuting on a 2-wheeler when it might rain is tricky business. However, to ensure I keep myself safe - I usually do the following.

1. Zip the rain liner inside my riding jacket. This stays like this during the entire monsoon season. Even if someone doesn't have a riding jacket, they can at least get a basic raincoat & rainpant. It can usually be folded really into a small bag.
2. Carry a separate plastic bag to keep my wallet, phone and anything else that needs to be kept dry.
3. I usually don't stop when it rains - I turn on all my lights and ride really slowly. But I really like riding in the rain, so perhaps that's not for everyone. If someone wants to stop, I think they should stop at a place where (a) there's no danger to themselves or other people on the road, and (b) there's no obstruction to the flow of traffic.
Thanks! This is the response I was looking for.

Last edited by N.A.GTC : 8th October 2021 at 18:03.

Most Viewed