Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2021, 11:29   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Govt to make safety harness mandatory for children below 4 years on motorcycles; cap speed to 40

Looks like we need safety harness regulations for kids sitting on a car's bonnet:

Govt to make safety harness mandatory for children below 4 years on motorcycles; cap speed to 40 kph-screenshot_20211027135810.jpg

Pic credit: BHPian sam_machine
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5182563 (Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em)
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 11:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Govt to make safety harness mandatory for children below 4 years on motorcycles; cap speed to 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Looks like we need safety harness regulations for kids sitting on a car's bonnet:

Attachment 2224926

Pic credit: BHPian sam_machine
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5182563 (Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em)
There is no safety harness for moron people with moronic parenting. I feel for these kids as they don't know what harm can come to them doing this stunt.

Couple of days back I went to market to buy some groceries, I was parking the car when I saw an Endeavour coming at good speed with couple of kids standing outside the sunroof. Usually I refrain from interfering in anyone's business but since I became a father myself I have become more softer towards kids betterment.

So, when he parked near me I went to him and politely told him how dangerous it is to hang out like that for his children. I was fully expecting a rude Mind your own business kinda reply. But, to my surprise the guy listened patiently, nodded and went on to scold his children not to do this again. He accepted it's his mistake he didn't consider the consequences and will take care of this in future. I felt good. Sometimes it might be our duty to educate such people, not everyone will listen and agree, but many will.

On a side note I have stated the same to my cousin many times. He still doesn't understands this and let's his kids out of sunroof every time. All kinds of people are there.
harry10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 11:58   #33
BHPian

The thread is going completely off-topic with some of the comments absolutely insensitive and even a bit offensive. Have reported few posts. Hope it gets deleted. How ignorant can people be about financial situation of 90% of fellow Indians!

It definitely is a step in the right direction. I don't understand how traffic police is going to misuse these new steps. Let's look at one by one (Please note these are only draft and not finalized)

1) Safety Harness for kids below 4 -- Assuming this is implemented, if police sees kids without harness, then they are well within the rights to impose fine. If you give some pocket change to avoid fine, that reflects on you and not the police.
2) Helmet compulsory for kids aged 9 Months-4 years -- A bit tricky to make a small kid wear a helmet by parents but again it is for the kids safety. Indians don't take helmets seriously and expect police to behave as moral citizens!
3) Speed below 40 with kid -- Best part of the draft. If police can prove that you were riding above 40, then you deserve everything that happens to you. If police cannot prove and still you end up paying, then again that is you giving up the fight.

Is the new draft only for kids in pillion and not standing in front of the scooter?
RaghuVis is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 12:16   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Quite surprised at the ignorance of the concept of poverty.
Most of those who are carrying a toddler on a two wheeler are not doing it for fun, its because they can not afford a car. Move out of the relatively well to do states like MH, GJ, KA etc and you would find that even having a motorcycle is a luxury for many. People carry their family of 4 on a bicycle too.
What is a low income family supposed to do? Not have a child until they are rich enough to buy a car, or rich enough to afford a taxi when they want to travel/ commute with their kid?
I am well aware of the critical role two-wheelers play in the last mile connectivity especially in rural areas. I guess we can all agree that two-wheelers are the most unsafe vehicles to ply on our roads and toddlers are the most vulnerable of road users. The idea that we can seat a child below 4 years as pillion is ridiculous - we cannot expect the child to hold on to the seat even assuming she is physically capable of doing it. We cannot expect a toddler to not fiddle around when seated either which makes it even more dangerous as they can actively put themselves in danger. A simple fall that can only result in a few scrapes for an adult might well be life-threatening to a child. So I stand by my statement that a child has no place in a two-wheeler from a safety perspective.

When I was a toddler we used to have a baby seat in my Dad's cycle that was hung from the handlebar. Even that seems to be far safer than the way children are seated in motorcycles nowadays. And of course, those were the days when traffic was sparse and you could count the number of cars you see in a single hand during the entire commute.

At least in TN, public transport is available to most if not all of the rural areas and is free for women and school-going children. But often we can see boys who are barely teenagers holding on for dear life on the footboard of buses while commuting to school. So it's mostly trading one risk for another and quite frankly I cannot offer any solution that will be a 100% replacement to two-wheelers while being safe.

At the end of the day, it's up to the parents to decide what level of risk they are willing to subject their children to as we cannot all afford to chauffeur our children on Volvos no matter how much we love them.

But this is what I would do if I had no other means,
1. Avoid the scenario itself as much as possible - public transport, autos and a little bit of foreplanning can all help. And absolutely no joyrides.
2. Drive sanely and slowly while keeping the toddler well protected and supervised - may be seated in between both parents. Avoid taking them with the rider alone.
3. Avoid traveling during the night and during adverse weather as this further increases the risk.
4. Choose your route carefully - make sure you travel in the route with the maximum expected safety even if it means extra mileage.

Basically, risk avoidance and mitigation- just like all other aspects of life.
Old 28th October 2021, 12:44   #35
BHPian

Is there any statistics on two wheeler accidents in which kids have had fatal injuries which could otherwise have been avoided by taking steps like these ?

Given people use two wheeler as an escape mechanism through congested traffic to cut through left, right, swirl between vehicles, drive on footpath - there could be much better focus and priority on proper road manners, provide for bike lanes etc. Apparently big bang changes like this which makes headline get applause. There is no work required otherwise. I guess, this rule will practically help fund government through fines and nothing drastically different. In my opinion, if kids have an unsafe experience today, then two wheeler ride in itself is unsafe for them.

We rate cars for stars with availability of airbag etc, which is hilarious. Then what's the safety in two wheeler then ? So, the safety aspect of two wheeler ride is then about providing proper infrastructure for them to drive safely.

So far, the most well mannered two wheeler running on the roads I've seen is only because they've got kids riding in it. I don't know how much more this will get better.

Another unrelated incident that I remember is when Kerala implemented a rule to move the seat of ladies in buses to the backside. But they forgot that most buses run without rear doors, packed beyond standing capacity (against rule, but who cares). The body roll and swing is most felt in the back. It took the life of one lady who fell off the bus, for the authorities to open their eyes and revert the rule. I'm just hoping this doesn't become one like that.
Old 28th October 2021, 13:33   #36

A welcome move, strict enforcement and penalties for violations should drill some sense, at least in some people.

But, it all depends on the attitude of people. For a few or maybe for many it is not the lack of a good public transport infrastructure, but their "chalta hai" "kuch nahi hoga" attitude that makes them take such dangerous chances with their kids.

On my commute to work I pass through a few school zones and I see so many kids riding pillion (not wedged between two adults or held in the lap of the adult pillion) clinging onto their parent/rider like how a baby monkey clings to its mother. And what is even more horrifying, blood-curdling, is to see that the kids are dozing off/nodding. One such time while waiting at a traffic signal I saw a kid, must be around 4-5 years old, nodding while clinging to the person riding the motorcycle. I rolled down my window and alerted the person that the kid is asleep and may fall off the bike. He just gave me a silly smile and said "usko aadat hai, daily ka baat hai" and made a dash. He was well-dressed and was riding a Bajaj Dominar 400!!
metalheadnomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 14:09   #37
BHPian

While I welcome the initiative, what's the status of all existing laws, wrong side driving, speed driving, driving with overload, driving with protruding building materials, driving negligence ...

My car was hit from behind by a BOSCH company employees bus in Chennai, I heard from driver that he dosed, still I have to pay from my pocket for fixing it (other than insurance) , the bus company guys were cool as such "that's not my mistake"

Sadly police couldn't do anything, not sure whether by law or by bribe.
Old 28th October 2021, 14:37   #38
BHPian

Re: Limit speed to 40 km/h if riding with kids below 4 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Another new scheme for looting the common man.

They will never understand that the person who is travelling with wife and/or little kids on a two wheeler is doing so because of lack of better options.
You know this kind of reminds me of something -

Why sidecar is not popular in India?

I mean you can solve some safety aspects along with carrying more passengers just by using a sidecar. I mean sure mileage might take a hit and you are not as maneuverable in traffic, but in my mind the pros outweigh the cons.

Can someone share some light regarding this issue?

Govt to make safety harness mandatory for children below 4 years on motorcycles; cap speed to 40 kph-screenshot-royal.png
Black_Star is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 17:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

The rule is much welcome for emphasising the safety measure for child on a two wheeler; we probably didn't have an explicit black on white rule till now. There could be some people who didn't know about the existence of helmets for children and/or the purpose of a harness and if some of them embrace the idea that itself is a win

Those complaining about the irrationality of this rule in one's daily routine or any reason why it might not work; should actually suggest a better way out; besides the obvious of not taking the child out on a two wheeler
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 17:45   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
make them feel entitled enough to avoid two wheelers at all cost.
Entitled? Far more likely that they will be grumpy at not being allowed to ride. Let them be entitled to safety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
I only accept the Helmet + Safety harness part. I strongly disagree with the 40kmph limit. I wouldn't agree at any limit less than 60kmph. ...
I have to ask you the same question I ask people who think that, for instance, being in a car "at city speeds" without a seat belt is safe. Have you ever walked into a wall? Or something like a low doorway or branch of a tree? Did it hurt? You were only travelling at three or four kph.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 17:48   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Entitled? Far more likely that they will be grumpy at not being allowed to ride. Let them be entitled to safety.
Not if they're not used to seeing 2 wheelers as a viable mode of transport.
Quote:
I have to ask you the same question I ask people who think that, for instance, being in a car "at city speeds" without a seat belt is safe. Have you ever walked into a wall? Or something like a low doorway or branch of a tree? Did it hurt? You were only travelling at three or four kph.
Them how is 40kmph different ? Why not keep it at 10kmph!?
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 18:38   #42
BHPian

Govt to make safety harness mandatory for children below 4 years on motorcycles; cap speed to 40

Safety at road is safe tea at home, welcome move by the government, is it practical to implement? I Don't think so.

Crash helmet for a 9 months old?

Love to see this draft becoming a rule.

Just imagine a daily labourer who had saved his daily wages for many months and finally bought a CT 100,now he's being forced to buy a safety harness, helmet for his 9month old infant (9 month Olds are not children dear government) and if he manages to procure all this and drive to fuel up, he's in for a shock on daily basis.

Autos, bus, trains are all over crowded in peak hours, and he certainly can't afford a cab, forget owning a car whose price increases every quarter.

Doesn't the government want poor and lower middle class not have access to private transportation?
Old 28th October 2021, 20:37   #43

I appreciate the step taken in right direction but honestly this feels like an easy way for cops to make money. In a country like ours, I can only see it as a tax on poor. I won’t be surprised if Insurance started denying claims just because harness wasn’t according to their standards.
Old 28th October 2021, 23:58   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Them how is 40kmph different ? Why not keep it at 10kmph!?
I absolutely agree. Even 10kph is too fast.
Old 29th October 2021, 00:29   #45

One evening in the heavy Bengaluru traffic I saw a lady riding a scooter with her son (3-4 years old) sitting in the back seat, facing backwards, and he was dozing off! Luckily he kept waking up because of the noise of traffic. I, in my bike, managed to go parallel to her and warn her, she quickly pulled to the side.

This news reminded me of the above situation. I fully agree with the rules mandating safety harness and helmet for kids. Though it may give very minimal protection, it's better than having nothing. Hope these rules are implemented strictly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks