Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2022, 09:03   #1
BHPian

Had an accident on my BGauss B8 scooter

All i remember is flashes of a hit and flying. It is traumatic and fresh. Just a week old.

I had my helmet on. That was what saved me actually from serious damage.

So what really happened? Its all a daze as far as i can remember. Ill lead you up to it and lead you out of it, you have to figure out what happened in the interim.

I was returning from a friend's house in my newly purchased bike. I was to take a right towards a bus lane to my house. I approached the junction and slowed down. I acknowledged an Indica come to a near stop at the junction, seeming as if he was letting me and one more Dio rider pass. As soon as i was in the middle of the oncoming lane, he accelerated hard and hit me.

The next thing i know, i was flying. Consequently i was on the floor, with onlookers trying to help me up. I felt my ribs being choked as i gasped for air. I looked at myself, pulled my tshirt up and checked for inflammations or bleeding. There were none. All the injuries were internal.

The traffic police came around and stopped the indica driver. She was saying that it was my fault as i had attempted to turn right into a lane that was "legally one way but socially two way" lane. The intriguing part of all that was the fact that i've been in that locality for 18 years and there is no sign of such things. Even bizarre stuff,

Buses go in and out of the road.
When i pointed that out, she seemed flustered, frowned and said,
"only buses are allowed like that. Civilian vehicles aren't"

After such irritating arguments i decided to let her go. She almost tried to convince me that a no u turn board also signifies no right turn.

Anyway, what happened was that seemingly, the driver's leg slipped from the clutch and when the vehicle jerked forward, he, instead of pressing the brake and clutch, pressed the accelerator.
Or so he told.

I was perturbed as to the validity of the statement.

Somehow, i was sent flying. About 12 feet or so in length and landed flush on my back. The vehicle is damaged a bit, with a stuck accelerator and out of place fittings, etc. I am yet to check with the company.
I let the driver go(he was a taxi driver) without any compensation or so.

Had an accident on my BGauss B8 scooter-img_20220528_150549.jpg

Had an accident on my BGauss B8 scooter-img_20220528_150555.jpg

Had an accident on my BGauss B8 scooter-img_20220528_150558.jpg

Had an accident on my BGauss B8 scooter-img_20220528_150605.jpg

Got diagnosed with several blood clots in my chest and some injury in my shoulder,
but pretty much mobile and safe as of now. No serious problems

So yeah,
Please look out for people like this on the road

and please do stop at junctions before proceeding, even if it is empty

Last edited by shresan23 : 8th June 2022 at 07:42. Reason: Uploaded pictures
shresan23 is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 06:44   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Had an accident on my BGauss B8 scooter

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Ride Safe section. Thanks for sharing!

Glad nothing serious, bro. These things can swing either way. Going to our homepage today
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 09:11   #3
BHPian

Glad you are okay. Though it was not your fault, I am writing the following as a general safety concern. I am not implying that you had done something wrong.

1. Be on your safe side, always. Life once gone is gone. No amount of argument about who was right and wrong will bring you back.

2. Never should we be in a hurry on the road. even if we are in a hurry. So that we need to take minimum number of split second decisions.

3. Should not make a move until we have understood the other driver/rider's motive. This judgement comes with experience, but anyhow it is always better to be safe than sorry.

4. Honking is important in India. Always better to let the fellow drivers aware of your intentions.

5. Indian driving conditions are chaotic. Always important to keep your calm, and be 100% focussed. A senior driver once told me, do not bring your stress and tensions to the road unless you want a mishap.

6. All these points will apply more in a two wheeler. Split second decisions may injure a rider, but a person in a car may remain safe.

Happy motoring!
BhaskarG is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 09:50   #4

Glad nothing too serious happened to you. Although I'm pretty sure your Doctor and family will have warned you to be careful until the blood clots dissolve. Internal injuries are always concerning irrespective of how minor they may seem.
As for the accident, well things happen. We can't account for everything no matter how much we prepare. We can only pick up the pieces and get back to it as best we can.
Either way, wishing you a speedy recovery and here's to hoping you get your scoot repaired quickly and get back to munching miles on it again.
Jabberwocky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 10:24   #5
BHPian

It looks like a classic pressing the wrong pedal to me as you mentioned the car almost came to stop or it could be he was using mobile! But to me, the first one is the more likely. Unfortunate and thank God and move on. Make sure please you review about your health few times (some 2nd opinions) at least to make sure nothing goes unseen, as I can feel your pain of flying for 12 feet and landing on a hard surface. Take care.
sgmuser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 10:53   #6
BHPian

Glad that nothing serious happened to you. Machines can be repaired and broken parts can be replaced. Please take good care of yourself and review even the slightest of sore paints in your health to ensure everything is fine. Take care and wish you a speedy recovery.
Atom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 11:01   #7
Team-BHP Support

Glad that you managed to walk away from what looks like a rather nasty crash.

Quote:
Please look out for people like this on the road
From your description of the incident, you seem to have done everything correctly. But no one can do anything to fix such badly trained drivers.

Very happy you were wearing a helmet.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 13:11   #8
BHPian

Glad that you are ok and wearing helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shresan23 View Post
The vehicle is damaged a bit, with a stuck accelerator and out of place fittings, etc. I am yet to check with the company.
Do ensure to thoroughly check for impact damage especially the battery case/compartment and electronic controllers. I'd suggest a periodic check on the battery health.
Torino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 15:16   #9
BHPian

I am glad you are fine man, I had a similar accident from my cycle a few days back which led to some stitches on my head, this happened due to wrong side driving by a car driver.
Makes me wonder are two wheelers even safe in our country where the rules of the road are not followed and such accidents are so common.
Hope you recover soon and get your ride repaired.

Cheers
W16Rocks
W16rocks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 15:27   #10
BHPian

Thank you so much for your wishes. Its been a week since the accident happened and i am almost normal
I still have some pains if i stand or sit without support for a long time.
As far ar the bike is concerned, i will be taking it to the company tomorrow as i have my semester end examinations going on
Thanks a lot truly.
shresan23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 23:19   #11
BHPian

I can empathize with your situation because I started driving two wheeler again from today, after a gap of almost 12 years. I had a horrendous incident earlier while driving two wheeler so I stopped but due to my place of work being so near to my home, I felt guilty using my car.

Anyway, today, after returning back from my place of work, I had to take a right turn. I indicted a while back to show that I was going to take a right turn, then a car comes up (there is an incline), sees me, and doesn't brake, instead speeds up. I was driving at a slow pace (maybe around 20-25 km/hr) since I'm scared of driving fast on two wheelers after the incident. In order to save myself, I had to push the throttle and thankfully was able to get out of the way just before the car speedily crossed me. Another incident happened when I almost reached home, I had to take another left turn, I indicated a while back to show that I was going to take a turn when three young boys in a scooty whizzed past me and overtook me from the left side. I almost crashed into them because I assumed they would have seen the turn signal which I had turned on keeping adequate distance in mind.

Tomorrow will be the second day of using the scooty to go to my place of work. I'm having second thoughts after the narrow escape I had today and also after reading your post. Hope you will recover fully and bounce back on your feet. It seems that it's not just enough to follow traffic rules but we also have to gauge the intent of other automobiles on the road these days. Stay safe brother.
wadewilson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 07:39   #12
BHPian

Glad that you didn't get much injuries and be safe.

Here's an interesting read on how our own eyes fool us, when we drive in familiar places.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...s-on-the-road/

When we're in familiar places, our brain doesn't try to observe every bit of information on road and presents a pre-created image which we are already aware.

The solution is to observe more at familiar places.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 22:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
Anyway, today, after returning back from my place of work, I had to take a right turn. I indicted a while back to show that I was going to take a right turn, then a car comes up (there is an incline), sees me, and doesn't brake, instead speeds up. I was driving at a slow pace (maybe around 20-25 km/hr) since I'm scared of driving fast on two wheelers after the incident. In order to save myself, I had to push the throttle and thankfully was able to get out of the way just before the car speedily crossed me. Another incident happened when I almost reached home, I had to take another left turn, I indicated a while back to show that I was going to take a turn when three young boys in a scooty whizzed past me and overtook me from the left side. I almost crashed into them because I assumed they would have seen the turn signal which I had turned on keeping adequate distance in mind. .
When I started driving independently, for the initial decade, there was a note in my car to self, pasted on the sun visor. It read- watch out for idiots, if they can make a mistake, assume they will. More apt every passing day
Old 27th June 2022, 17:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

I just avoid driving my scooty beyond my colony. No amount of explanations or analysis will help once you fly off your bike. It's pure luck that will decide what will happen to us when we are riding our bikes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks