Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2024, 07:20   #1

Summer time - Can we take a chance with lesser riding gear?

I am intending to do a road trip in the next week from Delhi to Spiti Valley. With the scorching heat, I am wondering if I can make do with only knee and elbow guards, gloves, helmets and shoes instead of riding jackets and trousers. Till such time I hit the hills.

What do you guys do? Any tips?

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th May 2024 at 21:33. Reason: Please use caps. (i —> I)
Old 18th May 2024, 09:54   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Summer time - Can we take a chance with lesser riding gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalggk View Post
I am intending to do a road trip in the next week from Delhi to Spiti Valley. With the scorching heat, i am wondering if i can make do with only knee and elbow guards, gloves, helmets and shoes instead of riding jackets and trousers. Till such time i hit the hills.

The chances of meeting with an accident on a motorbike are not determined by the temperature! I always wore me jacket and trousers. But I did have special summer and winter versions which made a difference.

Everybody I know that rides a bike has met with a nasty fall at some point in time. Some pretty bad, some not so. But the ones that were not wearing proper gear were always a whole lot worse, than the one wearing all the kit! Winter and summer time.

Jeroen

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st May 2024 at 13:13. Reason: Minor typo corrected :)
Jeroen is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 11:25   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Till such time i hit the hills.

Transport your bike till Manali/any location with lower temperature, where weather would be conducive for your riding gear. Roads are too unpredictable (specially for 2-W) to take any chances based on temperature or for that matter anything.

Long back when I did Leh trip, we shipped bikes to Chandigarh and continued from there. I always felt, riding bikes in plains and in hot conditions is anyway monotonous and super dehydrating.

Safe riding

Last edited by Axe77 : 20th May 2024 at 06:30. Reason: Minor typo.
NomadSK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 11:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
i am wondering if i can make do with only knee and elbow guards...
See for yourself:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5770961 (Accidents in India | Pics & Videos)

The timing of those two posts couldnít have been any better!
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 21:46   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am intending to do a road trip in the next week from Delhi to Spiti Valley. With the scorching heat, I am wondering if I can make do with only knee and elbow guards, gloves, helmets and shoes instead of riding jackets and trousers. Till such time I hit the hills.

I’ve done Chandigarh - Spiti and Manali - Chandigarh in June 2022. The heat was debilitating even then and definitely a factor.

At the outset, let me just state the obvious. Not wearing absolutely full gear is not even a discussion point for a full on highway journey like this. But yes - there are multiple measures you can and must take, specially since starting from Delhi adds a few more hours to the journey.

1. Start early AM. It wins you a few extra hours of beating the full brunt of the sun.

2. Hydrate - a LOT! Before you feel thirsty. Perhaps keep an on the hour reminder where you stop to drink and stretch every hour. Make sure you take in both plain water as well as electrolytes.

3. Stretch - regularly! The last thing you want is to cramp because of extreme heat.

4. Keep cool - i.e. wet the nape of your neck on your halts - it helps bring your body temperature down.

5. Ensure you get food in as required but keep it light and clean. Don’t eat heavy. Carry some energy bars too for good measure.

6. Consider wearing a dry fit tee. Soak it in water periodically and wear it if you can deal with that. Again, helps keep you cool for short durations. The more expensive alternate is wearing a cooling vest which work well in the dry heat that Delhi / Chandigarh / HP will throw up but honestly just wetting a tee does the same job.

7. Choose well ventilated riding jackets and pants - either super well ventilated textile or alternately well ventilated mesh jacket & pants.

8. Try to avoid wearing back packs on your back. Instead bungee luggage on to the bike. Carrying heavy back packs can enhance fatigue as well as make you feel hotter.

9. Carry a spare phone (or even a couple). Your phones (specially if you’re using them to navigate) can actually overheat and shut down.

Will add to this list if anything else comes to mind. Good luck and ride safe.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th May 2024 at 22:07.
Axe77 is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 06:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:

If you have been riding in Delhi during the day in the past couple of weeks, you would've realized how badly the heat hits you while on the move. I face the same while riding back home from office around 4pm. Let me assure you from personal experience that it is much more comfortable to ride in this heat wearing a set of mesh riding gear. That way, the sun and/or the wind doesn't hit your skin directly and it doesn't feel like you're burning.

As for the trip, aim for a 3am start so that you're in the foothills by 8am and by the time it's midday, you're in a relatively cooler place anyway.

Good luck, wear all your gear please, and ride safe!
boniver is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 07:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

When Bengaluru was scorching hot, a month back, I was riding without gears. But then my speeds were also very low during that time. Now, with chilled climate, the armaments are back :-) God bless my City!
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 07:31   #8
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I am in a similar boat as I need to ride 500 kms in this scorching heat till the foothills next week. However, riding without gear or with less gear is definitely not an option.

I need to plan my ride accordingly so that the weather is not too bothersome. The onward journey will definitely see an early start around ~ 3 AM, and hopefully I will be able to cover most of the distance by the time it gets really hot. Basically a 3 AM start would give me a window of almost 7-8 hrs to cover ground. That is a comfortable timeframe to do atleast 400 odd kms without pushing it too much.

The bigger problem is the return leg. No matter how early I start from the hills / foothills, I will need to cover 400 odd kms in the plains in this heat. Again, the idea is to take less breaks till 10 AM and then frequent breaks during the day to stay hydrated. Even the motorcycle would need some rest so a parking with a shade is a must for such breaks. The key is to plan your journey in such a way that you get enough time for frequent breaks while in the plains. If required, add another day to your itinerary and take it slow. Alternatively, you may also consider the option to transport the motorcycle till Chandigarh.

Have a safe trip, ride with all your gears and plan your trip accordingly so that you donít need to ride for prolonged stretches during the day. But do not skip the gears !

As they say, it is better to sweat than to bleed.
//M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 09:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:

I won't skip on the gear at any cost, more so if your jacket and pants have extra protection than elbow and knee. I recently bought a used alpine stars bionic mesh jacket. Couple of days back I rode from G.Noida to Fagu, with the mesh jacket and a jersey on top of it. My friend has a similar one from leat. You can put a cooling vest on top of it. Since you are in Delhi, check 98farhen, they are based out of gurgaon.

I had my first ever fall on a 2-wheeler and the mesh stitched with armours protected me. I usually wear Solace jacket and pants, that comes with back, chest, thigh, tailbone, shoulder protection on top of just elbow and knee. The mesh has everything - chest, shoulder, back, elbow protection.

Please do not skip on gear.
sinharishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 11:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

I swear by mesh gear. In our weather, it is my gear of choice, over vented textile. Especially for the jacket, and especially when speeds are not too high, and stoppages more frequent. Gloves I follow similar principles between short cuff synthetic textile and full leather gauntlets. The pants are vented textile, no worries there. Get gear for the weather and the ride. Leave elbow and knee guards for the BMX guys and skaters.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by Axe77 : 20th May 2024 at 13:01.
ebonho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 14:33   #11
BHPian

Here is my view, just came back from Munsyari to Gurgaon 2 days ago and the last day ride was from Bhimtal to Gurgaon on the hottest day with met department giving a red alert for heatwave.

- Start as early as possible, will help in both lesser traffic, shorter riding time and reaching before peak sun (if possible).
- Carry a hydra pack, trust me stopping and drinking is not the same as hydration on the go via hydrapack.
- ORS + water is your best friend, my goal with hydra pack is that even when I am riding I should be able to pee. Drink that much of fuilds.
- Base layers (top and bottom) + cooling vest + mesh jacket and pants no part of the body should be exposed. Wear a neck tube and if possible use a dark visor.
- Base layers have the most important role, pick the best one you can. In my view Klim and Motoskevees make the best ones. Choose long sleeves ones with sleeves tucked under the gloves.
- Using a wet quick dry towel around my neck when riding works well with me.
- Understand your body - before your get cramps and show signs of dehydrations there are warning signs.
- If I were stuck in traffic in peak sun, will park and rest for some time. Lack of ventilation is the last thing I want with full sun.

Will I give up riding in summer? Definitely not. I will just be over prepared and plan better.

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st May 2024 at 15:34.
adi_sun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 17:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
riding jackets and trousers. Till such time I hit the hills.
May i ask which kind of jacket you have ? textile/Mesh ?

I had regularly used my Rjays mesh jacket in Pune summers (april-may) and felt its better then riding without one, somehow i felt cooler with the mesh jacket, probably it blocks sunlight from hitting you directly.

On highways a riding gear is no brainer, infact mesh jacket are to be used for summers specially, once on the go on a highway a mesh jacket will definitely feel comfortable compared to riding without one.

2 year back i replaced my Rjays with a Alpinestar Wake Air summer jacket and did a few 100-200kms ride around Mumbai during peak May summer and i was hardly bothered by the heat, only time i felt some uneasiness was once i returned to the city and got stuck in the traffic but here as well more then the heat the humidity that hurt, that should
not be an issue in north of India.

Summer time - Can we take a chance with lesser riding gear?-bikejacket.jpg

Last edited by Gaur : 21st May 2024 at 17:19.
Gaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 11:05   #13
BHPian

For such a long trip, apart from what you have mentioned, you should invest in riding boots which have ankle protection and mesh riding jacket, not to exclude what other members have already posted above.

What i am using it this, but with armours.
https://store.royalenfield.com/en/ex...3xl-48-cm-grey

This has a removable inner liner used for winters. In Delhi summers, i have tried using this jacket once (without the liner) and it was still a pain coz of the weight. I am now searching for a proper lightweight mesh riding jacket which can help with the office commute.

God Luck with you trip! Ride Safe!
Old 24th May 2024, 12:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
With the scorching heat, I am wondering if I can make do with only knee and elbow guards, gloves, helmets and shoes instead of riding jackets and trousers.
Absolutely wear your riding gear, I too travel from Noida-Delhi, though office commute on my bike only on Fri. I always ride with full gear. The jacket let's air in anyway so no issues, its because of my bag (which I carry inverted while riding) which makes me sweat as air gets blocked, but its not unbearable (office a/c will cool you down in no time).

Office colleagues, even those who ride bikes ask "Are you going out of station?" whenever they see me putting my gear on. I always tell them that accidents don't just happen on highways, city commutes are equally hazardous, especially during the evening when many desperate people are trying to reach their home after a 1.5-2 hr frustrating jam logged commute (more so on Fri). At max, get a riding jeans if not willing to put on armored lowers. I got one from Bikeratti and it is excellent.

Last edited by ds.raikkonen : 24th May 2024 at 12:12.
Old 24th May 2024, 13:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

If you cant invest in weather specific gear, go ahead and wear your regular gear.

To combat the heat, try and put ice packs inside gear pockets to see if it helps.
Take a break every one hour to cool down and also splash water on your gear liberally.

Avoid riding between 12-4pm.
Thats all i can suggest, but at no cost should you skimp on your full gear.

Most Viewed