Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2011, 14:06   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Motorcycle Safety; Wearing helmets

"Carbon fiber, apart from its great strength and ultra light weight is considered a material which is associated with fast and ultra exclusive machines. That’s one of the reasons why auto aficionados are always ready to shell out more money for stuff made from the material. The Rs. 10,000 price tag is where the range starts"

Cheers!

Steelbird offers new carbon fiber helmet range, starting Rs 10,000!
Attached Thumbnails
Using a Helmet-steelbirdcarbonfiberhelmetrange1.jpg  

Last edited by n_aditya : 4th August 2011 at 14:09. Reason: font tag's removed.
Old 4th August 2011, 14:47   #152
BHPian

Nice one Das. Why don't we have a pan India 'helmet mandatory' rule for 2 wheeler drivers/riders. Probably linking it to Insurance claim or something will help in more 'buy in'.
In my city (Pune) only for once all the political parties came together to over throw this rule citing bad roads as the main reason
Old 4th August 2011, 16:04   #153
BHPian

Thank you for sharing. I'm more worried about mirrors here. Almost all the young riders in Bangalore & Hyderabad have their mirrors removed. I wonder how these people manage to ride safely without mirrors!
Old 4th August 2011, 22:21   #154
BHPian

Good presentation, i hope more people recognize the importance of safety while riding. Was this a part of some corporate responsibility program? I hope more companies private and public promote safe riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu View Post
Thank you for sharing. I'm more worried about mirrors here. Almost all the young riders in Bangalore & Hyderabad have their mirrors removed. I wonder how these people manage to ride safely without mirrors!
I agree with you, just not the young riders but I see it across the demographics not wearing helmets, or having mirror's but I see change in trend where a lot of young riders are wearing helmets, in Hyderabad at least , they are covered with cool graphic's, Hope they deliver. I guess they survive due to pure luck, but statistics say otherwise.
Old 4th August 2011, 23:30   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu View Post
I'm more worried about mirrors here. Almost all the young riders in Bangalore & Hyderabad have their mirrors removed. I wonder how these people manage to ride safely without mirrors!
Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
I agree with you, just not the young riders but I see it across the demographics not wearing helmets, or having mirror's but I see change in trend where a lot of young riders are wearing helmets, in Hyderabad at least , they are covered with cool graphic's, Hope they deliver. I guess they survive due to pure luck, but statistics say otherwise.
Mirrors is one thing which is seen as something which 'spoils' the look of a bike! A few friends of mine suggested to get them removed as soon as I got the bike home. Needless to say, I didn't do so. I'd rather be on an un-stylish bike than on the road!

2 wheelers are always 'expected' to do the unexpected. Nobody expects you to stick to your lane or use indicators/mirrors. I get stares everytime I stick to a lane and not try to offroad at the extreme left in case of a jam. Talk about a few people spoiling the name of the entire community!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 16:27   #156
BHPian

Re: Using a Helmet

+1 to that. I get that weird look almost everyday. People expect you to ride on foot path during traffic jam and forget the road lane, they don't think that motorcycles deserve even the road. Just like David L. Hough has said, motorcycling is all about survival on the road. And the worst part of the story, most people will have only one crash in their life time. And without helmet and proper riding gear, they never get a chance to say their story of their crash to a second person!!
Old 10th December 2011, 01:10   #157
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone point out what type of helmet is ideal for scooter rides.Im looking at different designs of helmets,adressing both utility,safety and aesthetics.Please post some pictures.
Old 10th December 2011, 10:11   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Can anyone point out what type of helmet is ideal for scooter rides.Im looking at different designs of helmets,adressing both utility,safety and aesthetics.Please post some pictures.

Hi, I would suggest a full face helmet always, irrespective of the form of two wheeler. Please avoid the half face ones. Full face lids will provide maximum protection and dont look bad either.
Motormania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 12:32   #159
BHPian

Just saw this photo on the Facebook page of Delhi Traffic Police. It's worth sharing here:

Using a Helmet-helmet.jpg

English Translation of the message: "My 18 years old son died because of NOT wearing a helmet. Therefore, please wear helmet and encourage others also."

Please always wear a helmet on 2 wheelers.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 30th January 2012 at 12:34. Reason: translated the message
Irish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 19:41   #160
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, spotted this IDIOT today near Andheri. He passed in front of a traffic cop who was busy with wasooli from a tempo driver. I was following him for a kilometer or so he kept on spitting his MANIKCHAND,(Reason behind his style of wearing the helmet).
Attached Thumbnails
Using a Helmet-ll-064.jpg  

Old 27th March 2012, 20:15   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Hi guys, spotted this IDIOT today near Andheri. He passed in front of a traffic cop who was busy with wasooli from a tempo driver. I was following him for a kilometer or so he kept on spitting his MANIKCHAND,(Reason behind his style of wearing the helmet).
A good find Sirji! The dirty people on the streets are oblivious of any cop or other people around.
They would prefer a specially designed helmet which has a provision to spit at a very short notice!
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 20:37   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Easier to spit blood out without spoiling the inside of the helmet in case he falls down from the motorcycle. Here in Kerala we have people who wears the helmet for the Cops. The helmet rests on top of the rear view mirror until he reaches the check point before which they put it is on and off again past the check point. The Government is issuing penalty for these types of idiots using pictures taken from traffic cameras and digital cameras provided to shadow enforcement team.
Regards Adrian

Last edited by adrian : 27th March 2012 at 20:38.
Old 27th March 2012, 21:51   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A good find Sirji! The dirty people on the streets are oblivious of any cop or other people around.
They would prefer a specially designed helmet which has a provision to spit at a very short notice!
Anjan sir, there a simple MOD to be done when new helmet is purchased . Just drill a large 3 inch dia hole exactly in front of the lips, position it will serve two purposes. 1.SPITTING made easy, 2. Ease in breathing all times fresh air to the polluted mouth full of MANIKCHAND,GOA,LAGAN,RAJNIGANDHA etc brands of gutkas.No need for mouth freshners.
Old 27th March 2012, 22:37   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I only wonder whether it doesn't make more sense for people who insist on wearing their helmets like this to get those half face helmets. Yes, it is not as safe as a full face helmet, but at least you can wear it securely hopefully and still have peace to spit your manikchand.

Or is this helmet only bought and worn for the sake of the law. If it was not enforced would a lot of guys even be wearing helmets.
Old 29th March 2012, 14:57   #165
BHPian

In Mumbai I have observed riders remove the helmet the moment they turn into a small lane or a locality where no traffic police will be posted (may be nearing home from work). The logic I guess is at slow speeds there can be no damage but a slip and the head crashing against the foothpath @30kph can be as fatal as a high speed highway accident.

Most Viewed