Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2008, 03:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Damn! That reminds of the 'Final Destination' series. Very freaky. My suggestion to you is some imported helmet.
Old 5th January 2008, 05:39   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc View Post
These Indian branded helmets work fine. Good enough for our speeds.

Not the local ones, though. Wouldnt take a chance with them.
I am sure the likes of ISI rated Wrangler, AGV, Vega, have a better shell. My concern would be with the weak points created as a result of rivetting the straps. A good helmet has to be accompanied with a good fit. Else even a minor fall, could be fatal as a result of neck/spine injuries.

While I was in college, I used to wear helmets that were crashed or dropped many times. That can be dangerous as well, as there could be hairline cracks within the shell, that are not visible outside. Now how many of us would be willing to get a new one after a major fall/drop. We just wipe the dirt off, and may be a sticker to cover the scratches.
Old 5th January 2008, 06:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Abroad you can send the helmet back to the manufacturer to check if the protective lining between the shell compressed or not when you dropped it or had a minor fall. Unfortunately, you cant do that here.
Old 5th January 2008, 08:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Marine Grade Hard Hats have a finite lifespan - they MUST be replaced every 5 years. Is there any such control for crash helmets?
Old 5th January 2008, 08:47   #20
Team-BHP Support

In my town, nobody wears helmet. Among men only 10% wear helmet and among women only 1% wears helmet, although 30% of the riders are women. Now everybody at my workplace are forced to wear helmet. But I don't know how effective these helmets are in a crash. I am sure they picked up the cheapest helmet they could find. One girl wears something that looks like a WW-II German soldier's helmet.
Old 5th January 2008, 10:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

To get by the law people wear almost anything that can be passed for a helmet. I've seen many guys wear the hard hat with the straps behind the neck used by construction workers at building sites.
Old 5th January 2008, 11:00   #22
BHPian

Why can't the Government control manufacture/sale of such helmets? Why can't our cops fine people usingsuch helmets?

End of the day, I guess you need a brain so that you can protect it. Obviously people who use such helmets have nothing to loose..

Rajan
Old 5th January 2008, 11:52   #23
BHPian

Why the cops? People should realise that they are the most to benifit from wearing a helmet. Worst part is wearing a helmet without the strap. I really cant think of a possible explanation as the biggest discomfort is the helmet itself...
Old 5th January 2008, 14:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

Save Money To Meet Yamaraj.........

Hai,

Tnx for this thread, it's on a critical issue.

A few extra 100's saved thro buying cheap hemlets can be used for a ticket to YAMAS'S Durbar. Back in 80's our gang of YEZDY crazy friends had an unwritten law, if seen without helmet, the fall guy buys a full bottle of Whisky; none of use dared to go without a helmt. We also used the STUDS, no other standard brands then, was expensive at Rs.400-500.

Had a skid on an oil patch while speeding on the Island Road, Cochin, got tossed for 20 feet, the bike was almost a write off, except for the engine, had fractures on my left hand, left legs knee joints ligaments (still) torn, thick jackets and jeans scrapped off along with lots of flesh and was down for 3 months. The helmet straps were on, helmet cracked & hail STUDS; my head was saved . I still carry that cervical stretch with neck pain on and off, had it not been for the helmet I would have been in limbo-world......

Can narrate many stories of people saved and dead because of helmets..... can't emphasize enough about investing a few 100's more on a quality helmet.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
-----------------

Last edited by ramkya1 : 5th January 2008 at 14:21.
Old 5th January 2008, 14:27   #25
BHPian

Quote:
To get by the law people wear almost anything that can be passed for a helmet. I've seen many guys wear the hard hat with the straps behind the neck used by construction workers at building sites.
These helmets are available at 75 to 150rs, riders keep these helmet on there bike tanks and ride, whenever they see the cop on goes the helmet once cop disappears off goes the helmet on the tank.
Old 5th January 2008, 15:03   #26
BHPian

I hope the Auto Expo 2008 will be bringing some good quality helmet. I m planning to buy a good one from there. Guys have any specific brand you can suggest for me ?
Old 5th January 2008, 17:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
girl wears something that looks like a WW-II German soldier's helmet.
A friend of mine wears a cricket helmet minus the front grill. Talking about this again is akin to
Old 5th January 2008, 17:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Why even the cops on their bikes wears the helmets which is like "half-helmet". Similar to the hard hats. These people should themselves start wearng of the proper helmets. After seeing them, many people tend to buy these kind of helmets which I feel is neither useful nor safes the head during any eventuality.
Old 5th January 2008, 17:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

But there's a lot of difference between a half face helmet and a hard hat. And cops everywhere in the world wears the half face helmets. The face of the cops should be visible. And a half face is lot easier to speak on the wireless in case of emergencies. But they could consider a flip chin type.

You cannot blame the police cause of the public buying the hard hats in lieu of proper helmets. When a member of the public buys a hard hat from a sports shop he very well knows the difference between a hard hat and a half face but still opt to buy the hat.
Old 5th January 2008, 20:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Marine Grade Hard Hats have a finite lifespan - they MUST be replaced every 5 years. Is there any such control for crash helmets?
All the major brands abroad like AGV, ARAI & SHOEI offer a 5 year warranty with their helmets because they recommend you change the helmet after that period even if you havent dropped or crashed it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks