Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 11:58   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
The reason I always wear Helmet is that I started driving bike big time in Hyderabad. And there if you don't keep a handkerchief on your face while driving then your lungs will get clogged with dust. So I started tying it on my face and putting one on my head (Yes two !!) and then putting my helmet over. Believe me guys, If you have hair problems then try putting handkerchief over you head before putting the helmet on. That sweat should not accumulate on the lining of your helmet. I still got my hair intact
Try getting yourself a top-end full-face helmet. These extend till below your chin and as such provide dust-protection too.
If you have space inside your helmet for the knot in the kerchief on your head, your helmet is not quite as fitting as it should be. Check it out once. Ideally, your helmet should be a tight fit over a balaclava.
Old 28th May 2010, 21:49   #122
BHPian

Thanks bblost for the insights; the passive and active methods you mentioned are really useful.

Your presence of mind to take photogrphs after an accident to post it here is owesome. Sure it will encourage more people around to follow the above methods more religiously.

By the way, I bought a 'Studds Supreme' helmet and wear full shoes too during city rides. Will look around for some nice gloves as well.

-bblost wrote -

Crap Happens!
People can survive a fall from a highrise but get seriously injured by falling of a chair.

What is important is to never let down your guard.
Always be prepared for the worst.

There are two ways of ensuring this.

Passive Methods:

Helmet: choose the best you can buy. Before buying a helmet do as much research as you can. Find one that is EcE certified. Do not buy an ordinary ISI helmet as IMHO they are very inadequate. Full face helmet is a must. If you look at my helmet you will notice that the face shield took a lot of scratches. This shield itself cost me about 500 bucks. I have pampered it and use only microfiber cloth to clean it. So despite it being 2+ years old its relatively good and clear. My helmet is never left in the sun tied to my bike. This preserves its integrity.

Gloves: I used the simple Rs 100-150 fake leather gloves. They covered my palm. So my palm escaped relatively unharmed. But my little finger lost some flesh. Full gloves with soem protection would have been good, but these gloves were fine.

Knee guards: It costs about 1.5k. Now I am seriously considering that I get them. They do not protect you from a fracture, but save you from road rash.

Riding Boots: Not really needed for city riding but please wear full shoes. Slippers are quite bad at offering any form of protection.

Active Methods
Never break the law.
Do not ride or drive on the wrong side of the road.
Do not use a mobile phone while driving. In fact put it on silent and lock it in your glove box.
Maintain your bike well. Check brake wear periodically.
Pay attention on the road.
Do not drive under intoxication or heavy stress.
Leave early and ride easy.

If all active methods fail, passive methods are your fallback. Since its your last line of defence, Get the best kits you can afford.

This is the road where I crashed.
The scrape marks are almost 10 feet long.
I walked away because of my Helmet.

Last edited by sunil_k_u : 28th May 2010 at 21:51. Reason: lost the formatting while deleting the attachments before 'quoting'
Old 28th May 2010, 21:55   #123
Senior - BHPian

I Have had 3 Major falls from a 2 wheeler,and all three times,my head hit the road directly.
I am typing this,as every time one of My AGV's saved me
Old 29th May 2010, 08:15   #124
BHPian

When a person is riding at slow speeds say 20 kms or so because of traffic or other conditions, do not revv the engine unnecessarily. I have seen many a persons waiting at signal turning their accelerator - if your vehicle is adjusted well for slow speed this is absolutely not necessary - it puts stress on engine and also affects mileage.

IMPORTANT: WHEN YOU REVV THE ENGINE YOUR BACK TYRE STARTS TO ROTATE FASTER MAKING YOU TO TRIP AND LOOSE BALANCE - THIS I HAVE FOUND PARTICULARLY IN SUZUKI (TVS) VEHICLES.

DRIVE FAST BUT SAFER. RESPECT OTHER ROAD USERS.
Old 29th May 2010, 16:09   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
IMPORTANT: WHEN YOU REVV THE ENGINE YOUR BACK TYRE STARTS TO ROTATE FASTER MAKING YOU TO TRIP AND LOOSE BALANCE - THIS I HAVE FOUND PARTICULARLY IN SUZUKI (TVS) VEHICLES.
You lost me there. Mind elaborating?
Old 2nd June 2010, 16:09   #126
Senior - BHPian

I recently bought an LS2 helmet (full face ECE 22.05 certified) and it fit well and was very snug.

Now i guess it has broken in very well and the pad's have got compressed. The helmet feels a bit loose even with the skull cap worn.

What can I do to retain the tight feel as before? Lets leave out the option of buying another smaller size helmet for now.

I was thinking of a balaclava... any suggestions? Where in Blore can i source a balaclava? I dont need a branded one but a good quality breathable one is what I am looking for.

Any other suggestions?
Old 2nd June 2010, 16:26   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I was thinking of a balaclava... any suggestions? Where in Blore can i source a balaclava? I dont need a branded one but a good quality breathable one is what I am looking for.

Any other suggestions?
Depending on my mood I either use a Keffiyeh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Worn in such a way that my hair (what little there is) and my nose downwards is covered. Leaving just my eyes exposed.

Or I wear a Buff.

Keffiyeh, buy a really cheap one as the fabric is thinner. Costs about Rs 60. With a couple of washes becomes really soft and comfortable.

Buff will cost you about 400+.
Old 2nd June 2010, 16:50   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Buff will cost you about 400+.
Where can you source a buff in India? Can i order somewhere online?
Old 2nd June 2010, 16:52   #129
Team-BHP Support

I bought mine from On The Rocks - Adventure Store
Old 2nd June 2010, 23:02   #130
Team-BHP Support

@aditya--most prolly your helmet is a size or two above,

when i was buying a helmet recently, i was buying size XL, whereas my head size was 54 cms which equated to size S, but i was having problems with XL even and in no way i was going to try the S size, but the good folks(PRS) from where i got the helmet, made me wear size S and after donning it for a good ~15mins, i felt comfy and went for S and now i can't even wear a balaclava
Old 22nd November 2010, 21:43   #131
BHPian

buffwear in bangalore

guys, I am looking to buy a buff in bangalore. Any place where I can find one?

i checked in cramster and wildcraft showrooms, they don't have one.
Old 22nd November 2010, 22:17   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Its not the real stuff. evn i have one.. the real buff is a lot better quality when compared to this what you and me have bnought.... you can order it from the buff uk website they ship it free for orders more than 22 pounds i think...

http://www.buffwear.co.uk/pages/othe...y-discount.php

check the link above they supply buff.. you would be amazed to see the real range of Buff.

Last edited by desideep : 22nd November 2010 at 22:26.
Old 22nd November 2010, 22:43   #133
BHPian

My need is to cover my neck and nose while I ride in the night. I ride everyday late night at 12 and its difficult to ride without covering your neck at this time of the year, too cold.

even if it's not the original one, how's the one you have? Will it fit my requirement?

Does anyone have any better suggestion? I tried a shawl, too cumbersome.
Old 22nd November 2010, 22:53   #134
Team-BHP Support

The one I have, which was purchased from the website mentioned before, works fine for your requirement.

In fact I use it for the same.

I don't know if its the original or not. Will and try and check it with what I find in the US as I am currently here.

The website does shipping in India and its based out of Hyderabad.
Old 4th December 2010, 12:08   #135
Team-BHP Support

Using a Helmet-dpf76sr_99hsjpd97f_b.jpg

If that image seems interesting, read more here.
Motorcycle and Scooter Helmet Safety

To summarize, wear a full face helmet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks