Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2008, 14:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Using a Helmet

Hi,

Found 99% using the helmet as an accessory like a hat on the head.. Doesnt serve any purpose..

Friends, Kindly STRAP on the helmet while you wear one as otherwise..its as good as not wearing ANY..

PS.. Mods..pls move the thread to the appropriate section as i'm unable to do it.. Thx
Old 3rd January 2008, 20:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-you-dead.html

cya
R
Old 3rd January 2008, 20:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi,

Found 99% using the helmet as an accessory like a hat on the head.. Doesnt serve any purpose..

Friends, Kindly STRAP on the helmet while you wear one as otherwise..its as good as not wearing ANY..
Most of the folks wearing helmets wear it to protect themselves from cops, for them it serves the purpose. Unless they start wearing it for the real intent, things will be the same.
Old 4th January 2008, 23:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

No one wears the right size either. They just buy whatever they get, expecially the ones being sold on the street like vegetables by those 'bhaiyyas'. I can bend them and probably break them with my hand. Imagine how protective they will be in a crash!
Old 4th January 2008, 23:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
No one wears the right size either. They just buy whatever they get, expecially the ones being sold on the street like vegetables by those 'bhaiyyas'. I can bend them and probably break them with my hand. Imagine how protective they will be in a crash!
Rules are implemented to make sure everyone uses a helmet.And then people come up with cheap quality helmets,and lets everyone get away with buying one for under Rs200. Get hit with a stick while wearing those helmets,and you'd probably have to get yourself checked to make sure there's no injury.
Old 4th January 2008, 23:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have actually held one of those helmets in my hand and could easily bend it with my hand. I'm pretty sure I could have broken it but it belonged to someone
Old 5th January 2008, 00:05   #7
Team-BHP Support

Have seen a lot of people using fancy STM & BHP make helmets wihout any safety ratings at all. They look quite nice, but sadly bend at the lslightest of effort.
And, these don't come cheap either, in the same price range of 2-4K i am certain one could easily get hold of far superior stuff with an ISI if not DOT or Snell rating.

manson.
Old 5th January 2008, 00:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have seen guys riding CBR's and other biggies wearing these stupid helmets. Why would you do that when you can afford such an expensive bike??

There are other brands like INDEX & SAFETYMET which are made in Thailand and those too are 'BS'. Infact, I know someone who crashed wearing a Safetymet and died because his skull cracked along with the helmet. Hope this puts something between the ears of the people who compromise on safety equipment.
Old 5th January 2008, 00:24   #9
BANNED

Quote:
I have seen guys riding CBR's and other biggies wearing these stupid helmets. Why would you do that when you can afford such an expensive bike??

There are other brands like INDEX & SAFETYMET which are made in Thailand and those too are 'BS'. Infact, I know someone who crashed wearing a Safetymet and died because his skull cracked along with the helmet. Hope this puts something between the ears of the people who compromise on safety equipment.
Glad to hear someone bring this up. I have been begging my cousins and nephews to consider getting better helmets. Most of them makeup reasons. Expensive, heavy, not suitable for indian heat etc. At the same time they spend time and money sticking fancy stickers on the helmets.

I have always wondered, how a decent DOT/SNELL rated helmet cosing $200 to $600 elsewhere compares to a $5 helmet sold on the road side. There has got to be a huge difference, probably a life saving difference.
Old 5th January 2008, 00:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
I have always wondered, how a decent DOT/SNELL rated helmet cosing $200 to $600 elsewhere compares to a $5 helmet sold on the road side. There has got to be a huge difference, probably a life saving difference.
99.99% these cheap helmets would snap under the slightest pressure applied all over the surface area.
If someone can afford a good bike,investing in a good helmet would be the logical thing to do.Of course,not everyone thinks that way.
Old 5th January 2008, 00:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

How many of the motogp riders that have died in past have died of head injuries? I cant think of even one of them. There's a reason for that.
Old 5th January 2008, 01:02   #12
BHPian

These Indian branded helmets work fine. Good enough for our speeds.

Not the local ones, though. Wouldnt take a chance with them.
Old 5th January 2008, 01:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc View Post
These Indian branded helmets work fine. Good enough for our speeds.

Not the local ones, though. Wouldnt take a chance with them.
I presume you are talking about MPA, AGV(Indian), GP One and not the ones that are sold by the street side.

Remember, you could be doing 30 km/h but the guy who comes and crashes into you could be doing 90-100 km/h.
Old 5th January 2008, 02:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I presume you are talking about MPA, AGV(Indian), GP One and not the ones that are sold by the street side.

Remember, you could be doing 30 km/h but the guy who comes and crashes into you could be doing 90-100 km/h.

I agree with u straight6. It all depends on the relative velocity when it crashes. I remember a lady doctor in my place died just because of a 5 RS coin thrown from a Bus to a worship place, broke her specs and she lost her control and crashed in to another vehicle.

Even though I m using a Steelbird, Im feeling its not that safe. I will change it this weekend. Thanks for reminding buddys.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 5th January 2008 at 02:36.
Old 5th January 2008, 02:37   #15
BHPian

Yup, I've crash tested it. The GP one to be precise. And i really would not trust any roadside device with my life,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks