Team-BHP - Spectacles/Glasses for night riding
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Ride Safe (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/)
-   -   Spectacles/Glasses for night riding (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/40295-spectacles-glasses-night-riding.html)

Hi guys! Am in search of a good pair of glasses for night riding. My search for night-riding glasses has never ended. Please post details of your glasses, brand, price etc.

Mods: Searched the forum for such a thread and I couldn't find one. Also, I hope I am posting in the right section.

Word of the day: Contact lenses.

Nothing Else will Do.

Have tried a solution for this for last 8 years, though the branded glasses are really good, they stay that for 6 months max by when scratches starts and we loose that clarity.

If you can take good care of u r glasses, never wipe them dry and all those stuff, trying the essilor lenses, i found them the best.

Frankly, I am seriously thinking of getting laser eye correction and be done with it once and for all

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue_pulsar (Post 846159)
Hi guys! Am in search of a good pair of glasses for night riding. My search for night-riding glasses has never ended. Please post details of your glasses, brand, price etc.

Mods: Searched the forum for such a thread and I couldn't find one. Also, I hope I am posting in the right section.

I guess you're not talking about prescription lenses. If you need spectacles to cut down on the glare caused by the headlamps of oncoming traffic i would suggest night driving glasses from Polaroid. They seem to work well.

Night polaroid glasses ALSO reduce light intensity. Think driving over boulders.

Been there, done that on a bike - highly unadvisable unless you take a great brand.

Check this thread out :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...es-lenses.html

cya
R

Thanks for the replies guys! I guess my first post was not so clear.

I require glasses to protect my eyes from dust. I have normal vision (no spectacles) till now. I wanted more info on "moonglasses" if I may call them so. :)

I just bought a fastrack glass for night riding. the outside is blue in color and if u wear it at night u have 90-95% vision. but as they say the rest of the 5% is dangerous as well. decided on goin for a glass since my visor is colored and i gon't want the dirt from the tyres of the car infront of me to get in my eyes.

you are better off wearing a helmet with a clear visor. it'll protect your eyes AND your skull.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shock (Post 846718)
I just bought a fastrack glass for night riding. the outside is blue in color and if u wear it at night u have 90-95% vision. but as they say the rest of the 5% is dangerous as well. decided on goin for a glass since my visor is colored and i gon't want the dirt from the tyres of the car infront of me to get in my eyes.

Thats the real problem. I do not want loss of visibility since it is dangerous on dimly lit streets!

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver_shadow (Post 846743)
you are better off wearing a helmet with a clear visor. it'll protect your eyes AND your skull.

The problem with the helmet visor it gets scratched frequently. Also, I feel suffocated with the visor closed.

Don't we get special branded glasses just for night riding? I have visited many optical shops. Some suggest cheap plastic glasses. They create dangerous glares at night. I see multiple headlights. And the plain glasses on the normal wire rim neither offer good protection(so that much wind does not get inside) nor look good.

Any valuable suggestions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue_pulsar (Post 847111)
Thats the real problem. I do not want loss of visibility since it is dangerous on dimly lit streets!

The problem with the helmet visor it gets scratched frequently. Also, I feel suffocated with the visor closed.

Don't we get special branded glasses just for night riding? I have visited many optical shops. Some suggest cheap plastic glasses. They create dangerous glares at night. I see multiple headlights. And the plain glasses on the normal wire rim neither offer good protection(so that much wind does not get inside) nor look good.

Any valuable suggestions?

i wear contact lenses and for me eye protection is really important. i've also rode bikes very extensively for the last 10 yrs and i can tell you that the helmet with a visor is the only option. when it gets scratched, you change the visor. not using a helmet because you *feel* suffocated is a very bad idea. i don't ride like a moron but it's inevitable to fall off a bike at some point and the helmet has already saved my skull once. so as far as i'm concerned anyone not using one is being foolish.

PS: you get *scratch proof* visors which do get scratched but a little less faster.

There are night vision glasses by tag heuer .

they say the glasses are really effective and helpful to find your seat if you turn up to a movie late!:)

But a pair will send you back a whooping Rs. 23,000/- (approximately):Shockked:

Better off buying good quality italian helmets!!!!!

I suggest one of two things:
a. AGV helmet. End of story. Sexiest visor this side of 4k types. There are others but AGV I've seen lasting for years.
b. Even in studds, take visor of ninja/bravo. 150 bucks. Keep colin types (big bazar brand) glass cleaner, and wipe dry with spectacle cloth. I use it all the time, and instead of 1000km, my visor's lasted for 16k this time.
c. Resist urge to ride with visor open :D I open it a min to get some fresh air (esp post rain/morning). Else dust accumulates.

i heard that the AGV visor comes for 550 Rs... true ?? i recently bought a AGV helmet and then as recommended by some other users here, thought of buying a spare one for later use, on hearing the cost i dropped the idea. :|

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delta9 (Post 847395)
i heard that the AGV visor comes for 550 Rs... true ?? i recently bought a AGV helmet and then as recommended by some other users here, thought of buying a spare one for later use, on hearing the cost i dropped the idea. :|

Yes it's true. AGV visors are imported and the quality is among the best available in India. My GPR helmet costs more than the AGV, but the GPR visor is much cheaper at 350 bucks and the AGV visor is much better than the GPR visor.

Anybody buying new Helmets please consider the KBC/Sparx brand. These are well known American helmets, the range starts from around 4k is what i heard which is around GPR & Daijya range.