Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2014, 00:39   #1516
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
1. I know that this might sound absurd and crazy, but can knee brace likes these used instead of conventional knee guards.( zero shin protection, I agree)
Attachment 1227168
PS- wasn't my idea, it was suggested in the comments section in a website for a cheap alternative to cheap knee guards.
The picture that has been posted is of a ACL Knee Brace, which is used by doctors to support the knee of patients, usually after a surgery following a trauma or illness, to get them ambulatory again, gradually.

I don't know which wise soul suggested that this could be used as a protector for any kind of active knee situation

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 01:19   #1517
BHPian

Apologies, for the first picture I posted is a little misleading.
A simple search on Google showed that most motocross riders vouch by the safety providedby knee braces. They transmit the force away from the knee dissipating the compression force towards the long bones and flesh while keeping the knee joint in position. There are knee braces actually made for motor sports like the one in the picture.

But not sure whether they are warranted for tarmac, riding but better be safe than sorry considering it is a weight bearing joint.

PS- they are more expensive than knee guards
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-mjw8rthmoxevx8mbk6ff1dg.jpg  

Last edited by Akhilash95 : 7th April 2014 at 01:23.
Old 7th April 2014, 04:09   #1518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But not sure whether they are warranted for tarmac, riding but better be safe than sorry considering it is a weight bearing joint.

PS- they are more expensive than knee guards
Most motocross riders I presume would ride on dirt; not asphalt bud. I would not suggest buying "off road" / dirt track gear for street use

Proper CE rated strap on knee guards / braces (more expensive) are great for protection. They stay in place & do not move around like the ones that come as standard in motorcycle pants. Some pants do offer a bit of adjustability for you to get that proper fit.

These strap on guards (usually) also cover a greater surface area; especially the shin. Some downsides:

* During summers; if you intend to to strap these on underneath your pants; there will most definitely be chafing and it can be quite uncomfortable (Especially the inner thigh, since you would be using it to grip the tank). Therefore; you always will need to wear it either over a pair of jeans or wear an additional layer of clothing (base layer) for the knee pads to be comfy. For this reason alone; you may choose a pair of jeans over proper riding pants; always leaving yourself exposed to the danger of a flesh peeling road rash. Moreover; you will most probably end up scratching the sides of your tank also
* Some knee pads (Like Thor Sector) are designed to be worn only underneath the pants. You may end up donating your skinny jeans. In case it does fit under a baggy pair of jeans; it may cause your pants to ride up considerably and unless you are wearing at least ankle length boots, you would end up looking a bit silly. Plus; a part of the skin now is all the more exposed to the elements and (probable) injury
* The closure system must be fool proof and secured properly. In case you come off the bike; the entire knee guard (along with the closure system) could come under a high level of stress. This could easily just rip open a simple velcro type system (again - like Thor Sector); leaving your knee area susceptible to injury. A proper closure system (Like the one on Dianese EV knee guard) with a D ring will ensure that the knee guard stays with you through the entire duration of the fall and provides max protection. It may take you a few seconds more to put them on & take them off; but its well worth the time IMO. Believe me; I know

Hope this helps

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 7th April 2014 at 04:24.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 08:24   #1519
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

How good and effective are these body armours:
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Premium-Quali...item3a88684d05
Old 7th April 2014, 09:47   #1520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
How good and effective are these body armours:
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Premium-Quali...item3a88684d05
Fox as you know is a brand which is considered as one of the best in business of ridding gears.

The items featured in the page is actually best suited for Motocross and Cross Country events. If that is what you are looking at then its one of the best you can buy. The price indicated is very good one as well (as log as its genuine stuff)

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 11:19   #1521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Nice. Sounds like i need to check them out. Similar question to you, those pants are stretchable at waist? What sizes are available?

Can you post a picture of it here? Also, where did you buy from? Dynamic Riderz?

The pants have adjustments at the waist, and can accommodate a decent range of waist size. Currently size M and L is there (last I checked), and yes at DR store.

Am afraid I dont have a pic for you just yet.
Motormania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 13:19   #1522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Speedy. That would be really nice if you can get a discount if i decide to buy from him. Infact, he was suggested by fellow moderator ( Manson) who also knows him and insisted i should buy from him due to good branded stuff with genuinety

Iam now confused between buying the AGV or Spartan as I kind of like both of them and they fit into my budget
Not a problem at all Mobike008, i can talk to both P.R.S. and Bachoo Motors for a discount. Manson and many others do get their stuff ( safety gear and bike gear) from P.R.S. and the store has some real nice stuff which is also with the current trend or year product launched worldwide, that too keeping budgets in mind.

I was seeing the Bachoo Motors page and saw a few things that might interest you. www.bachoomotors.com

Pants from RJAYS
http://bit.ly/13EnwR3

Gloves from RJAYS
http://bit.ly/15OUUHR

Boots from RJAYS
http://bit.ly/1aWKv3S

Jackets from RJAYS
http://bit.ly/1brJHDf
http://bit.ly/13rvRN7
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 14:00   #1523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
Not sure of Cramster has been referred, pls. Ignore if this was already discussed/ shared.
Cramster is discussed extensively on this thread. Infact, reviews are not good. There are a couple of pics a few pages back where one member posted pics of how a cramster jacket were coming of seams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Yes the jacket is very good. I would suggest you drop into the spartan store in Hyderabad and check if XL or XXL fits you . If XL does not meet your size then you can safely order XXL from online.

No, they don't have a policy of refund for online purchase i think. Call them up and confirm

44-46 inches is XL
46-48 inches is XXL
Thanks for this detailed info. I reckon I will fit into the XL or XXL category will measure and then place an order

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Thanks Sagar.

Avi, I use these pair of riding pants from Spartan. They are built very well and offer good protection for the knee, shin and hip area. The Spartan pants are equipped with Knox armor which are CE rated and offer superior protection. The pants you have shortlisted have generous amount of mesh thrown in so it should be very comfy in summers whereas the pants i have are full cordura with only vents for fresh air.

My suggestion is to go ahead and pick up a pair and you will not be disappointed. Best if you can try before buying.
Thanks Adi. But, the challenge is having the sizes availability in Hyderabad since there is only one dealer ( Dynamic Riderz) and he usually doesnt have stock of jackets, pants most of the times.

Can I place an order directly from Spartan online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
The pants have adjustments at the waist, and can accommodate a decent range of waist size. Currently size M and L is there (last I checked), and yes at DR store.Am afraid I dont have a pic for you just yet.
What is size L and M in inches? DR always doesnt have sizes as he keeps less stock. Will have to take my chances and place an order online

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I was seeing the Bachoo Motors page and saw a few things that might interest you. www.bachoomotors.com

Pants from RJAYS
http://bit.ly/13EnwR3

Gloves from RJAYS
http://bit.ly/15OUUHR

Boots from RJAYS
http://bit.ly/1aWKv3S

Jackets from RJAYS
http://bit.ly/1brJHDf
http://bit.ly/13rvRN7
Lovely looking jackets and riding pants. But, the problem is I see they have sizes only for L & M
Old 7th April 2014, 14:30   #1524
BHPian

I am not entirely sure, but it should be covering 32-36" waists. Btw, they have just got almost the entire range of jackets from Spartan, starting from Atlas to Hyperion in all sizes I believe.

PS :- I happen to know this since I joined DR as a partner/consultant recently. The owner is a close friend of mine.
Old 7th April 2014, 14:45   #1525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lovely looking jackets and riding pants. But, the problem is I see they have sizes only for L & M
This is just what i have listed, if you go on their website or FB page they have many more and different sizes. I suggest you go to a store near you to confirm the proper size, incase you want to order online.

Last edited by speedy : 7th April 2014 at 14:46.
Old 7th April 2014, 16:36   #1526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Adi. But, the challenge is having the sizes availability in Hyderabad since there is only one dealer ( Dynamic Riderz) and he usually doesnt have stock of jackets, pants most of the times. Can I place an order directly from Spartan online?
Avi, best to try and buy. This is what I prefer anyday.

However you could speak with the staff at Spartan to get an idea of their sizes and then order. Do ask if they would exchange in case of size issues too.

Quote:
Saw Axo and Fox raptor knee and elbow guards set on ebay which retail around 600 bucks a set. Are they any good?
These are most definitely fakes or replica's. Dead giveaway of the fakes are that they all look similar since they are made from the same mold. Best avoided IMHO and buy armored riding pants instead.

I had bought a pair of Alpinestar Bionic Knee Guards initially for 5.2k which I sold to a friend and in turn bought a pair of Spartan riding pants for 6k as pants offer more protection.

Last edited by n_aditya : 7th April 2014 at 16:40.
Old 7th April 2014, 19:00   #1527
BHPian

I agree with Aditya. After having bought knee guards (first) and now a pair of riding pants, I feel a sea change of difference in riding comfort
Old 7th April 2014, 22:46   #1528
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this detailed info. I reckon I will fit into the XL or XXL category will measure and then place an order....
Hey Avi,

I think we do have DSG Aero Riding pants (Mesh Type) L and XL in stock. You are welcome to try it on. Gimme a buzz, i can give you the location of the store.
Old 8th April 2014, 11:13   #1529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would be the first to recomend RJAYS overall quality, toughness and durability, fit, armor quality and anchoring, and workmanship. Over the other stuff available in India, this is definitely the best. Hope you find something in your size. If you do, pick it up. Its good stuff. And being sold here at hardly any markup over the rates abroad.
Old 8th April 2014, 22:21   #1530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I would be the first to recomend RJAYS overall quality, toughness and durability, fit, armor quality and anchoring, and workmanship. Over the other stuff available in India, this is definitely the best. Hope you find something in your size. If you do, pick it up. Its good stuff. And being sold here at hardly any markup over the rates abroad.
Yea, Rjays products are very good. However I felt that their mesh jackets don't have adequate airflow at lower speeds. The Spartan helios is very good in terms of ventilation at low speed. Besides it also comes with CE rated Knox armor. The build quality too is top notch even though being a desi brand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks