Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
And now a new problem...
1. Knee support
2. Knee guard
3. Riding pants

Call it obsessive wearing of gears & only to realize the tibia is no longer protected!! Back to square one!!
Didn't quite follow you there mate. What do you mean the tibia is "no longer" protected? I wear these knee socks only to prevent chafing and not as protection against impact. I wore these on a small ish 400 km one way journey in May and it was comfy enough. The knee guards I wore for this journey were Thor sector ce guards. My wife wore the dianese over her jeans.
Old 5th August 2014, 13:08   #1787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Didn't quite follow you there mate. What do you mean the tibia is "no longer" protected? I wear these knee socks only to prevent chafing and not as protection against impact. I wore these on a small ish 400 km one way journey in May and it was comfy enough. The knee guards I wore for this journey were Thor sector ce guards. My wife wore the dianese over her jeans.
How are these different to the common skin colored ones sold as othopedic suppport at medical drug stores?

http://www.visscoindia.com/magni_vissco/prdct0717.htm

Last edited by ebonho : 5th August 2014 at 13:30.
Old 5th August 2014, 13:39   #1788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Guys, need help and suggestions please. Planning a rain ride on the Independence weekend. Need a set of dry-fit (moisture wicking) base layer urgently for this ride. I plan to get a proper imported set when my friend comes over from Australia next, so do not want to double-spend on expensive readily available in India alternatives now (Nike etc.) as this would be at best a stop-gap urgent solution. So what would be the more inexpensive options that I can get a hold of quickly? I am looking at full length leggings as well as full sleeved top. The bottom line is it should be comfortable and dry against the skin. Please help.
Decathlon may have what you are looking for. I don't know if they have shops in Pune but you might be able to order online on other websites.

On a slightly different note, I use a rain jacket and pant from Decathlon. They are made of PU coated polyester and they though they feel a little flimsy, the quality has been beyond reproach and they have kept me fully dry. My boots, though, are not protected so I end up with soaked feet.
Old 5th August 2014, 13:44   #1789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Decathlon may have what you are looking for. I don't know if they have shops in Pune but you might be able to order online on other websites.

On a slightly different note, I use a rain jacket and pant from Decathlon. They are made of PU coated polyester and they though they feel a little flimsy, the quality has been beyond reproach and they have kept me fully dry. My boots, though, are not protected so I end up with soaked feet.
My problem is different. I have waterproof riding gear. Which is pretty good. But I sweat on the inside, and my underclothes then get soaked. So am looking for a dry fit alternative to my under gear inner clothing layer.
Old 5th August 2014, 13:56   #1790
BHPian

Quote:
My problem is different. I have waterproof riding gear. Which is pretty good. But I sweat on the inside, and my underclothes then get soaked. So am looking for a dry fit alternative to my under gear inner clothing layer.
Thanks for clarifying.

My understanding of the way dry-fit or wicking clothes work is that they are made of non-absorbent yarn and the weave/knit is what helps wick away moisture from the skin by capillary action. This works so long as the garment is not saturated with moisture. To prevent saturation the accumulated moisture must be removed either by evaporation to air or transfer to another garment that must be absorbing.

What this means is that if you are sweating under your rain clothes and there is no air current to remove moisture, you would be better off wearing thick, absorbent cotton garments that will keep your skin dry for some time.

BTW, Decathlon also has dry-fit garments in their running, fitness and hiking lines. I've tried the running undergarments and found them to be good (keeps skin dry and does not chafe once wet). The big plus is that Decathlon products are a good deal cheaper than Nike, etc. while being almost equal in performance.
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 13:58   #1791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How are these different to the common skin colored ones sold as othopedic suppport at medical drug stores?

http://www.visscoindia.com/magni_vissco/prdct0717.htm
Don't really have an expert opinion on this doc as I've never had to use these knee socks for medical reasons (knock on wood). But some things that I can probably list down would be:

- the material of my knee socks is cotton mixed with spandex. Therefore, it breathes, feels comfy against the skin and can be worn for long hours. The other ortho types I've seen seem to be made of some synthetic stuff
- was not sure if I could have ease of movrment with the regular ortho type knee sleeves. But the one I bought had multiple reviews of people using these for running, squatting, working out at the gym etc. this told me that it would not be too restrictive and spending a few hrs in them on the bike should not be too bad
- they did not look medical-y. It seemed to be more on the lines of something you wear as a support for a physical activity, not really for injuries (perception)
- most of these ortho thingies were quite a bit more expensive than the one I bought. If I would have bought something bad, I would at worst be out a couple of 100 bucks
- the medical knee support made me sick just by looking at them

Hope this helps. Take care doc
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 16:24   #1792
Senior - BHPian

Here's what I finally ordered:

Bottom

http://www.decathlon.in/hiking/warm-...t/p-246275.htm

P.S. Just hope these are not too warm ...... Decathlon did not have my size in stock as a trial piece.

http://www.decathlon.in/hiking/light...e/p-246855.htm

P.P.S. I did manage to try this one on. Its perfect.

Should be delivered in a few days.

Last edited by ebonho : 8th August 2014 at 16:25.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 16:48   #1793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The T-shirts are going to be nice but the bottoms are going to soak your b*** in sweat! They seem to be warmers and you sure would be wearing jeans/riding pants over them -- so --

Please do let me know your experience wearing them.

Last edited by Shubz : 8th August 2014 at 16:49.
Old 8th August 2014, 16:51   #1794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
The T-shirts are going to be nice but the bottoms are going to soak your b*** in sweat! They seem to be warmers and you sure would be wearing jeans/riding pants over them -- so --

Please do let me know your experience wearing them.
Ya well funnily natural wool is a great moisture wicking material. And one of the most comfortable under pant inners I used to have (til they disintegrated with use and had to be retired) were a soft woolen pair of long johns (thermals). I never used to bake in those. They use to be perfect for the butt also (never got saddlesore with them on - seamless construct). Hoping these would be as good. Could not find anything else full length.
Old 9th August 2014, 03:27   #1795

Hello Gurus,

In next few weeks I will be coming back to India and will start biking again.
Could you please advice whether should I purchase all my riding gear from UK or Could I manage to find them better off in India? If you think I should get it from UK then any pointers in-terms of web link, shop name etc would be greatly helpful.

Thanks in advance
Old 9th August 2014, 10:10   #1796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchitectIT View Post
Could you please advice whether should I purchase all my riding gear from UK or Could I manage to find them better off in India?
UK...any day; we can still manage to get a few of them in India...ofcourse with tax, vat, cat, mat that will be nearly double the price of what you get in UK

Regarding shops...prefer online for best deals, lower price...let your fingers do the walking
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 11:41   #1797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchitectIT View Post
Hello Gurus,

In next few weeks I will be coming back to India and will start biking again.
Could you please advice whether should I purchase all my riding gear from UK or Could I manage to find them better off in India? If you think I should get it from UK then any pointers in-terms of web link, shop name etc would be greatly helpful.

Thanks in advance
Pick up in UK. They have a fantastic brand called RST. Highly recommended. I have their jacket and boots. Better than a lot of the big names like AlpineStars in my opinion.
Old 10th August 2014, 05:26   #1798

Many thanks @ebonho, @aargee. I will start looking for the gears now in UK. As suggested I will try to narrow my search for RST gears.

In next few days, I will try to shortlist few of the gears and report back here for further pointers.Once again thanks for your kind help.
Old 10th August 2014, 13:22   #1799
Distinguished - BHPian

Got my riding boots ("Cortech Latigo Air RR Boots) and below is my short take after a 60kms ride with these on :-

Comfort : Uncover the velcro which is for entire zip which itself goes until almost sole of the boot which makes slipping in your foot quite easy. Size 12 was perfect and before ordering I was hesitant and even contemplated 12.5 but, glad I stuck to 12 as its perfect.

Within 10 mins, they felt like normal boots and there is no stiffness or awkwardness that I was sure would be there considering its a proper riding boots. I can walk around in this shoes the whole day, No problemo

Even the zipper can be tucked away in a corner as it has velcro so it doesnt flap around in the wind

Performance & Protection: Proper riding boots give you a different level of confidence and I realized it within few minutes into the ride. I could bend with more confidence at corners and not worry about scraping my foot off.

Protection is awesome with reinforcements for important areas like ankle, shin, toe and heel.

Looks : These look as good or better than a SIDI at half their price with almost similar features

Quality : For this reasonable price, quality is surprisingly good and everything feels premium.

Overall, Iam happy with my purchase

Mobile pictures dont do justice....boots look really good in person
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img_20140809_074550_edit.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20140809_074646_edit.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20140809_074658_edit.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20140809_074618_edit.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 10th August 2014 at 13:23.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 01:10   #1800

Hello Gurus,

Need your help in selecting riding gears for myself. I have had a brief look at internet and selected few of the items (link below). If possible, could you please share your comments about them please?

Jacket:- http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/moto...nt_prod/106691

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/moto...nt_prod/190245

Pant:- http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/moto...nt_prod/190344

Boot:-
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/moto...ent_prod/85408

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/moto...nt_prod/106913.

I will be riding in Delhi, thus have to consider summers as well.

Thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks