Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2015, 12:26   #2371
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
But then, the insides of the gloves will have some sweat, right? How do we get rid of that?
Two very different things - dust (means unused and sitting for long - likely stiff and cracking) and sweat (means just used, wet, likely to tear if you manhandle too much - and smell of course).

After a ride, I let all my gear air. Preferably outdoors, but in shade. Then bring it in once nice and toasty dry. A pair of wet boots or gloves inside your house can get nasty really quickly.
Old 28th May 2015, 12:30   #2372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Two very different things
Alright, so then I have two different things!

1) The dust that sits on the outside of the glove due to riding in dustbowls everyday
2) The sweat that is absorbed by the insides of the gloves while riding

I use these gloves on my daily commute to work. So leaving them outside to dry isn't much of an option. And when I reach home, the sun is long gone and so there is no sun to dry them with.

Sorry for sounding n00bish, but I'm new to riding gear.
Old 28th May 2015, 12:35   #2373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alright, so then I have two different things!

1) The dust that sits on the outside of the glove due to riding in dustbowls everyday
2) The sweat that is absorbed by the insides of the gloves while riding

I use these gloves on my daily commute to work. So leaving them outside to dry isn't much of an option. And when I reach home, the sun is long gone and so there is no sun to dry them with.

Sorry for sounding n00bish, but I'm new to riding gear.
Just clean with a clean damp cloth on the outside, and place them palm up (on a newspaper would be good) under a fan. Preferably in a room you are not sleeping in.

Wax them once in a while (I use normal neutral nourishing cream for shoes) to keep them supple and ensure the moisture does not spoil the leather over time.

Last edited by ebonho : 28th May 2015 at 12:36.
Old 28th May 2015, 12:36   #2374
BHPian

Yes, that link is pretty much accurate. Just, don't wash it every 3 months. 6 months should suffice. Use leather conditioners/cleaners to clean them in between these wet washes.

Key to water wash of leathers is we should not hang (any kind of pressure) them dry since that might change the shape permanently. Also don't air dry them. Let it rest and dry naturally. It will take long time but the leathers will stay safe.

After a wash, they feel like new leathers, unbroken and slightly stiffer. After a couple of days of wearing, they break in again.
Old 28th May 2015, 12:47   #2375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Just clean with a clean damp cloth on the outside, and place them palm up (on a newspaper would be good) under a fan. Preferably in a room you are not sleeping in.

Wax them once in a while (I use normal neutral nourishing cream for shoes) to keep them supple and ensure the moisture does not spoil the leather over time.
So this will work for the outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Yes, that link is pretty much accurate.

After a wash, they feel like new leathers, unbroken and slightly stiffer. After a couple of days of wearing, they break in again.
And this will work for the inside?
Old 28th May 2015, 12:56   #2376
BHPian

Quote:
So this will work for the outside?

And this will work for the inside?
Like the link mentions. Mild soap solution (I use dettol hand wash) in the bucket. Wear the glove under water and slowly rub inside on all parts. That should be enough. The water soaking itself takes care of most of the stink.
But remember to not do this too often. I wear mine everyday and have done this twice in more than 1 year.
Leather conditioning/cleaning (I use one with a citrus smell and another one from Hushpuppies) in between washes keep them not smelling and yucky.
Sojogator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 22:11   #2377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Got the TBG Half Ankle boots I preordered yesterday.
========
It retails for under 6K and is available in Let's Gear Up, Bangalore. Sincerely hoping that the boot hold up against my thrashing. Its real world test begins now!
In waiting for your review. Very much interested in this one. You know how to get them in Kerala?
Old 28th May 2015, 23:09   #2378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It retails for under 6K and is available in Let's Gear Up, Bangalore. Sincerely hoping that the boot hold up against my thrashing. Its real world test begins now!
Please keep updating this thread with your feed on the boots. I am mighty impressed with their gloves.

Made an impulsive buy of Spartan Zeus full length boots and was able to use them only twice because of their bulky build. Will be looking to use these to office daily. Hence need your usage feedback on how it feels the whole day
Old 29th May 2015, 10:26   #2379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
...Very much interested in this one. You know how to get them in Kerala?
You could call lets gear up. They will ship it to you. Sizing might be an issue though. Don't think they have distributors at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I am mighty impressed with their gloves.
The gloves great alright. Bummer though, they increased the price from 3999 to 4400 a couple of days back !
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 11:50   #2380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
In waiting for your review. Very much interested in this one. You know how to get them in Kerala?
Like Sojo mentioned above, you can contact them via FB or phone. They should ship it for you. But do check the size. My shoe size is between 9-10 and the size 44 suits me well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Made an impulsive buy of Spartan Zeus full length boots and was able to use them only twice because of their bulky build. Will be looking to use these to office daily. Hence need your usage feedback on how it feels the whole day
Precisely the same reason why I didn't go for the Spartan ones.

Regarding daily usage, it does not feel too uncomfortable for me. The ankle has sufficient degree of movement and the padding feels very comfortable. I mean, at the end of the day I can't see any specific 'red' spots due to excessive pressure at a particular point. And for a leather product that is hardly broken in, this is an extremely good thing. But, as this is tighter than normal shoes, even if I feel slightly uncomfortable in office, I just open the zipper completely and secure the velcro strap on top. This will free up the foot but 95% of time it will be fully secured.

Regarding sweating, I did not encounter any sweating while using it. I guess If you are in a temperature controlled office, it will never be a problem. In fact my feet used to heat up more and sweat with my Woodlands during riding in hot summer traffic but inside the boot it is cool and dry.

Will be able to test it for a good distance this weekend. I will be able to give a fair idea on how it feels for a whole day ride after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
The gloves great alright. Bummer though, they increased the price from 3999 to 4400 a couple of days back !
Sojo, is it for the full gauntlet ones?

Last edited by man_of_steel : 29th May 2015 at 11:59.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 13:29   #2381
BHPian

Quote:
Sojo, is it for the full gauntlet ones?
Yup, the full ones, with the SPS and steel wrist sliders. Most expensive glove made by an Indian brand I guess ?

And I agree, woodlands sweat !! In a temperature controlled environment too. But feels better outside. I have a feeling it has got to do with breathing since the shoes are waterproof !
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 20:01   #2382
BHPian

Meanwhile in Pune you can get RE branded gear at:

Company Gear store
Unit No. GP-7, Ground Floor, Phoenix Market City, Survey No. 207, Viman Nagar Road, Pune - 411014
Telephone: N/A
Email: nitesh@royalenfield.com
Sales Mobile: 9822546986

http://store.royalenfield.com/

The riding denims for Rs.3,999/- is worth a trial.

Cheers,
-Surja
Old 31st May 2015, 03:48   #2383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
The riding denims for Rs.3,999/- is worth a trial.

Cheers,
-Surja
No it isn't. No Kevlar, no armour or padding of any sorts

Just an expensive pair of denims that is all about form and none about function, as is the RE philosophy on most things
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 13:42   #2384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
No it isn't. No Kevlar, no armour or padding of any sorts
Ohh, is it! I was happy with what they have put up in their website.

http://store.royalenfield.com/collec...ing-denim-grey

- 11 Oz 400T tough max washed denim with concealed zipper pocket at knee
- Removable CE knee protectors which conforms to European standards with zipper opening
- Level 1 protectors by SASTEC at knee
- Protectors are CE approved EN1621

They only have knee protectors, I suppose. This makes them better than costly denims, was my perception!

Cheers,
Old 1st June 2015, 14:48   #2385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
They only have knee protectors, I suppose. This makes them better than costly denims, was my perception!

Cheers,
Yup. They are better than the regular denims(12Oz) to me. Slightly more durable than a regular pair of denim with good level 1 knee guards.

Guess, this can do the city duties. Just make sure they fit well with the knee pad on the knee while on the bike.

Price seems decent if the quality is good enough as a decent pair of jean will set you back by around 3K anyways.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks