Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2016, 13:12   #2791
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I don't remember the mobile website saying they were winter gloves
The site does mention it clearly. Here's the write up on them:

"Come to grips with the cold. Water-resistant riding gloves with touch screen sensitive patches and wiper for the visor attached to the index finger to help you focus on what matters – the ride.

Construction:
Water-resistant with Hydratex membrane
Thermal layer to keep hands warm."

It's your choice, but I still recommend investing in a pair of good warm weather gloves. The best gear is the one you wear each time you ride. There's no way you will be wearing these in our hot muggy summers
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 11:25   #2792
BHPian

Hello all, I'm planning to buy a riding jacket for mixed usage (rides + commute) and have boiled it down to just two - the Aspida/SPG Helios (₹7800/-) and the Aspida/SPG Nemesis (₹6000/-).

My primary requirement being lots of mesh for the generally warm Pune weather, I chose these two. The Nemesis comes with both rain and thermal liners as standard, while for the Helios one has to buy it for another 900₹ according to earlier posts on this thread (making the Helios almost ₹3k more, spec to spec).

My question now is, is the Knox branded armour on the Helios really worth the ₹2.7K increment in price? Considering that both are anyway CE 1621-Level1 rated? (I do not know much about these European ratings so please pardon me if this question is silly). I don't mind paying more for my safety, as it is of primary importance for me, but just wanted to know from the experts out there whether there are any more differences between these two jackets (fit and finish, comfort, durability etc), and whether the Knox branded armour makes a very huge difference in a crash, enough to warrant shelling out the extra dough.
Old 6th April 2016, 12:10   #2793
BHPian

^^I'm from Pune too and I bought dsg gear jacket..loads of mesh given our climatic conditions. It comes with CE approved armor and the usual removable liners.
Cost me 5500 bucks and I upgraded the back armor to CE for an additional 800 bucks. It's my go to jacket in any situation given the warm weather, yet to test in rains.

Frankly your protection levels depends on usage..if you need for commuting, dsg is also worth considering. But I can't stress enough the importance of trying the fit before you buy..especially your first items of gear.
Old 6th April 2016, 14:12   #2794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameshwar View Post
^^I'm from Pune too and I bought dsg gear jacket..

...Cost me 5500 bucks and I upgraded the back armor to CE for an additional 800 bucks.

...But I can't stress enough the importance of trying the fit before you buy..especially your first items of gear.
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely try to check the fitting of all shortlisted jackets.

Could you please mention which DSG jacket exactly did you purchase? The planetdsg website is a bit non-user-friendly and I could see only the DSG Aero (₹4999) and the DSG Nero (₹6500), out of which Aero is the full mesh one. Is that the one you have?

Also, where did you buy it from? MG road (DreamBikes)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
  • Aspida Helios was the best to be in but price was in north of INR 7K and thermal layer was to be bought at additional INR 0.9K. Rain layer available. But comes with Knox armor all around. And has mesh all around with larger pores.
  • Aspida Nemesis found to be VFM at just above INR 6K with removable thermal and rain layers. Not Knox armor but CE certified ones. Was not as comfortable as Helios but closer to that with almost full mesh of smaller pores
Hi, I just wanted to ask you what exactly did you mean by the Nemesis not being as comfortable as the Helios. I tried calling a few shops in Pune, but it seems none have these in stock right now, so I couldn't try them out. Could you please elaborate on the comfort issue with the Nemesis?
Old 6th April 2016, 14:29   #2795
BHPian

^^ correct. MG road one. I have the full mesh one with cordura in all the usual crash impact area..it's the evo I think.
On the other hand I'm going to try and check out some cramster jackets at this place called red pillar in yerwada. A fellow bhpian suggested that place, yet to check out.

I tried to find Google listing but it is too basic and provides nothing but their phone number. I will post a detailed update and also see if they have other jackets like nemesis, helios, et al.
Kameshwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 14:39   #2796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Got my Aspida Nemesis Grey and wife's Aspida Venus today. Pricing was INR 6K and 6.7K respectively. First is really value for money with majorly mesh and cordura, button adjustable sleeves and rain as well as thermal inner liners making it an all-weather jacket.

Venus is not really worth it while compared against Nemesis, but the only one I could find for the fairer gender.
Just thought of updating my feedback on the jackets after two long day rides and few short rides in Kochi city. Thank god, did not had to test the safety aspects yet but its CE rated protection on elbows, shoulders and spine.

Aspida Nemesis
+ Perfect fit (L size fits me perfectly and my shirt size is 42)
+ Perfect finishing (No imperfections like loose threads or spots etc)
+ Armors are well seated (Have bottons to tighten the elbow area)
+ Mesh is really airy (Never felt the heat while riding even in sunny days of Kerala's humid weather. Ofcourse it sweats while not riding which is understood)
+ Pockets with soft lining for mobiles.

- Not really light to wear while not riding (I do not have experience with any others to compare or quantify how much)
- No protection for lower spine area (Not sure if any in same segment has but could have been good to have)
- Zip could get stuck with fabric layer if not worn carefully (Happened twice for me but was able to revert with some efforts)
- Visibility (Orange/Fl Green versions would really improve the visibility, Gray version go unnoticed. 3M reflective linings are there anyways)

Aspida Venus

+ Wife is happy with the fit and finish. (Exclusively made for Women, Nemesis was not fitting her perfectly may be due to body shape)
+ Armors sit well without moving around.
+ Pockets with soft lining for mobiles.

- Mesh is limited compared to Nemesis or Helios.
- Pricey compared to Nemesis which is any day offering more value.

Now a touring boot and a riding jeans is on my radar.
jacs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 16:28   #2797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshal.Bhosale View Post
I tried calling a few shops in Pune, but it seems none have these in stock right now.
Try reaching out to DS moto (earlier Moto 101) on 020-26160135. This store is located opposite Kapila business hotel on Dhole patil road.
Old 7th April 2016, 11:51   #2798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameshwar View Post
On the other hand I'm going to try and check out some cramster jackets at this place called red pillar in yerwada. A fellow bhpian suggested that place, yet to check out.

I tried to find Google listing but it is too basic and provides nothing but their phone number. I will post a detailed update and also see if they have other jackets like nemesis, helios, et al.
Hello,
I'm that bhpian!

Address: Gulmohar Manor, Mahindra Society, Yerawada, Pune, Maharashtra 411006
Phone:020 2661 3221

It's a branch of Xlimitz Adventure (The one in Kothrud). I had picked up my Cramster gloves from Red Pillar.

Directions:
From kalyani nagar when you head towards IBM (take the oblique right cut)
Take the first left where you have the chai tapris!
Head straight, cross the building and after a housing society you will find Red Pillar store on your right (on the same road).

But, DSG Evo mesh and Cramster Breezer are of the same category! Why do you want to have 2 similar spec jackets?

Harshal, try the Air GT from Rynox. www.rynoxgears.com
Shop No. 1, Gurudatta Avenue, Burning Ghat Road,
Koregoan Park. Pune

Tel: 020-30586552 (11am to 7pm)
Monday Closed

Directions:
Enter KP north main road from Bund garden side (2 petrol pumps entry)
Take the first left (between german bakery and the O hotel)
Continue straight till the T point
Take left and after the first complex this store will be on your left! (store is slightly inside the society not facing the road)

I've spartan icarus mesh and achilles cordura jackets purchased from Moto 101 (now DS Moto) Pune.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 7th April 2016 at 12:19. Reason: Typos
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 18:06   #2799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshal.Bhosale View Post
My question now is, is the Knox branded armour on the Helios really worth the ₹2.7K increment in price? Considering that both are anyway CE 1621-Level1 rated? (I do not know much about these European ratings so please pardon me if this question is silly). I don't mind paying more for my safety, as it is of primary importance for me, but just wanted to know from the experts out there whether there are any more differences between these two jackets (fit and finish, comfort, durability etc), and whether the Knox branded armour makes a very huge difference in a crash, enough to warrant shelling out the extra dough.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3557951

This was extensively discussed in this thread earlier! Go through them and decide for yourself
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 11:57   #2800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
It's your choice, but I still recommend investing in a pair of good warm weather gloves. The best gear is the one you wear each time you ride.
The good people at Acclaim Motors have taken back the winter gloves. They understood the problem. I've ordered the GT Long Leather gloves which seems to be dual purpose. They did not have my size.

However, the "get to grips with the cold" seems to be a standard line which is a little misleading.
Old 20th April 2016, 18:52   #2801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Royal Enfield protective jeans:
Now, for the big disappointment - the armor

- The armour pocket is not properly placed, which means the knee pads are never where they are supposed to be. In fact, the pads were on my thighs with barely an inch of it covering the top of my knees
Update:

Got the armor pocket altered to where I wanted the knee armor to sit. The denims now fit perfectly with the armor falling right where it should and does not move around at all

Check out the pic below and see how much the armor placement had to altered. God knows if there ever will be an RE product I could own without making modifications to it

Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-image10.jpg  

Urban_Nomad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 22:37   #2802
BHPian

Would be great if you posted a DIY of how you altered the armour location. Also, whats your waist measurement (or what would you wear in a popular brand like, say Levis) and inseam measurement (if you dont have that, how tall are you?).

Thanks!

Quote:
Update:

Got the armor pocket altered to where I wanted the knee armor to sit. The denims now fit perfectly with the armor falling right where it should and does not move around at all

Check out the pic below and see how much the armor placement had to altered. God knows if there ever will be an RE product I could own without making modifications to it

Old 20th April 2016, 23:01   #2803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_trooper View Post
Would be great if you posted a DIY of how you altered the armour location
I simply approached a tailor known to my wife and gave him the requirements. Most tailors should be able to figure it out

Typically, the top of the armor should be just about where your knees end or a tad higher when you are standing straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_trooper View Post
Also, whats your waist measurement (or what would you wear in a popular brand like, say Levis) and inseam measurement (if you dont have that, how tall are you?)
I am a 34 in Levis and a 34 in RE jeans. If you are right in between sizes, I would recommend going with the lower size as the fabric has a bit of a stretch and the larger size may not fit well. YMMV though

I am a little over 5.11' barefoot

Hope this helps
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 19:18   #2804
Senior - BHPian

A noob question on riding gear. Does it have a shelf life similar to helmets? As a best practice they say you better replace your lid once in 5 years. Is there something similar for our riding jackets and pants? Can we replace the armor alone in case the fabric is holding up well and if there is indeed a shelf life for these protective apparel? I am asking coz I have a riding jacket and pants which is nearing almost 3 years since purchase and there is nothing wrong with it so far. But this came up during a discussion with fellow riders and they were also unsure of this fact. Hence posting here for some opinions. Thanks!
Old 26th April 2016, 20:09   #2805
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
A noob question on riding gear. Does it have a shelf life similar to helmets? As a best practice they say you better replace your lid once in 5 years. Is there something similar for our riding jackets and pants? Can we replace the armor alone in case the fabric is holding up well and if there is indeed a shelf life for these protective apparel? I am asking coz I have a riding jacket and pants which is nearing almost 3 years since purchase and there is nothing wrong with it so far. But this came up during a discussion with fellow riders and they were also unsure of this fact. Hence posting here for some opinions. Thanks!
They say you should replace your helmet because the inner glue used within the shell can lose adhesion after 3/5 years.

I haven't heard of anything regarding armor.

Most of the armor used is pre-shaped, so unless the material begins losing it's form or flexing more than it should it should be fine.

I'm guessing here but it seems the armor has a longer shelf life.

It's something to think about though a 3/5 year life span would be very very short.
aah78 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks