Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2016, 22:47   #2806
BHPian

^^ armor will get checked everytime you remove it to wash..if it shows signs of crumbling/hardening it should be replaced. I think this may happen between 5-7 year mark depending on the armor quality. Shells are made of high denier (abrasion resistant) materials. Unless the stitching is gone/worn out where it shouldn't be, you're golden. Keep riding! Be safe.
Kameshwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 15:42   #2807
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

The review of the Royal Enfield Dracha jackets by Autocar India is on air, Here it is:

From the review, it appears to be a good touring jacket. Only thing that bothers me is the loud RE badging which takes away the universal appeal from it.

Neel
Old 4th May 2016, 09:06   #2808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
The review of the Royal Enfield Dracha jackets by Autocar India is on air,Only thing that bothers me is the loud RE badging which takes away the universal appeal from it.

Neel
After having brought it for such a bargain, I am sure they would like to get the maximum mileage out this. . It is a very tempting price, but after having invested 11K in an Aspida Hyperion this is out of bounds at present for me.
Old 11th May 2016, 17:56   #2809
Distinguished - BHPian

5 year review of A* SMX2

Ive been meaning to pen down this review for a really long time and kept putting it off but eventually even I finally got tired of my procrastination. So here is my 4 year 8 month review of the Alpinestars SMX2 boots.

Date of purchase : Mid September 2011. A friend and I ordered stuff from one of the online stores based out of the US and split the shipping fees.

Why the SMX2 : There are primarily 2 schools of thought prevalent among biking enthusiasts in the Indian motorcycling scene. One set firmly believe in buying the best possible full length boots that will be used on weekend morning rides, overnighters, track days etc: Higher costs, great protection but you arent going to be pulling them out for in city riding as you cant really walk around in them.

The second set believe in buying a more usable ankle length boot that you can use for all the above mentioned scenarios plus daily usage including running errands, going to malls, meeting friends etc: The tradeoff is lower protection but you do have usable protection every time you hop onto your motorcycle. I fall firmly into this second category and hence picked up the ankle length SMX2.

Initial Impressions : My memory is a little hazy but I recall being very impressed by the build quality and overall fit and finish. It took time to break in but other than office commuting, I started using it everywhere and it was only a matter of time before I started getting comfortable with it. The advantage of ankle length boots is that they provide great flexibility and you can actually walk around with them all day without cursing. Admittedly they don’t have a soft sole and aren’t as comfortable as your favourite pair of Skechers but it’s a small price to pay for safety.

The Riding Gear thread-img_4871.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_4873.jpg
Brand new out of the box - 2011

Usage : The boots have taken near 5 years of abuse with zero care and maintenance from my side. Except for office commuting, I have used them for well over 95% of all my riding and they are still going strong. This includes multiple overnighters, long distance solo trips, weekend morning rides, loads of in city usage (goes well with jeans), 4 monsoons and a torture test in the Himalayas. Add to that the fact that the Continental GT doesnt have the slickest gear shift around and one has to be impressed by the performance of these sturdy boots.

Current Impressions : Rather unbelievably, they are still going strong and I am confident of getting at least another year of these great boots. The clasps are working perfectly and the fit is still snug. Yes my sole would grumble a little at the end of a full day's usage but hey, it beats having a smashed toe or two if I were to have a fall. They are starting to show their age a little but I am not one to sit and wipe clean the boots after a hard weekend’s riding either.

The Riding Gear thread-p5103077-large.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-p5103080-large.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-p5103083-large.jpg

How much did it cost : Around Rs 10,500 to the best of my knowledge, all inclusive.

Overall rating : A full 5 stars for this fantastic pair of boots.

Final thoughts : A lot of people dismiss the need for ankle length or full length boots because they feel
1. They don’t ride fast and hence aren’t going to have an accident and / or
2. Price

I will refrain from commenting on the first point. On the price front, yes, spending upwards of Rs 10 grand for a decent pair of boots is eyebrow raising but look at it from the returns and usability perspective. Assuming I only get 5 years out of the SMX2, that would still mean I would have only spent Rs 175 a month for my safety (10500 / (12*5)) which is what a good coffee or a decent sundae costs these days. Still think its too high a price to pay?
neil.jericho is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 18:35   #2810
Senior - BHPian

Re: 5 year review of A* SMX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
So here is my 4 year 8 month review of the Alpinestars SMX2 boots
Very well written. SMX2 is a great boot. I personally like to wear full length boots (even for daily commuting) but if I were to pick a pair of shorties, these would be it

This boot is basically a race boot chopped off just above the ankles, and is obviously more versatile than a full length boot. You can for example get straight off the bike and enter a movie hall without looking like a storm trooper who forgot the rest of his uniform

The boot looks like its wearing rather well. My Astars Ridge boots have probably seen maximum usage and despite being 3+ years old are holding pretty good

If possible, would love to see the pics of the soles please. Also, how many kms do you think these would have been used for?

Just a suggestion - Every now and then, use either "Mr leather" or "Meguirs" leather cleaner and conditioner. Will keep the leather supple, increase life and also add a little more water repellency
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 15:12   #2811
BHPian

If you are looking for TCX riding boots, Highnoteperformance is running a flat 20% off on all TCX boots on all available sizes. You can find a shin length S Sportour for 11,200INR and S Speeds for 14,400 INR. Sweet deals!
b16h22 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 21:18   #2812
Distinguished - BHPian

Sidi ST Air

Look what just landed this week.

The Riding Gear thread-p5173363-large.jpg

Despite the proliferation of importers and biking stores, it sure isnt easy to buy a good pair of full length boots in India. After being bitten by the track day bug, I knew I needed to get a pair of full length boots so I started my research and zeroed in on a few popular options - the A* SMX6 and Sidi's Cobra and Vertigo. I asked around and the SMX6 was recommended by most. The SMX6 is fairly priced in India though the Sidis carry a premium, courtesy the Indian importer.

I managed to find all of them at Orion Motors and the SMX6 was far more comfortable than the Sidi options that felt like self inflicted torture. Trying to do phantom shifts in both Sidi boots eliminated them straightaway. Decided to do a little more research and came back a few days later to buy the SMX6 but found that they were out of stock in my size!

I tried DJ Helmets in Cochin and they had a few TCX pairs (same as what is sold through highnoteperformance) though not in my size so the highly recommended TCX was off my list. I expected AutoQueen, Cochin to have the SMX6 and they had other A* boots but not the SMX 6 in my size. Went to Orion a few more times but there was no sign of new stocks. Argh!

With nothing to lose, I tried out LGU and found their boots to be more suitable for touring use rather than track use. They suggested that I try out the Sidi ST (far more expensive than what I was looking at) that they had but with my prior Sidi experiences I wasnt too keen. Surprisingly though the ST was much better than the other lower priced Sidis and the level of protection offered was several notches higher as well. The only fly in the ointment though was that it was available in a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers suiting white and black combination. Egad, even with my zero fashion sense I knew better than to buy that monstrous combination.

Since these are products that last several years, I didnt want to compromise on the aesthetics even if I had to pay more so I decided to order the same pair in plain black from motoin.de. The purchase price came to around Rs 21,500 and they sent it quickly. After going through customs it reached my local post office in a few days. There was some confusion on account of the wrong pin code from my side so it went from one nearby PO to another but the post man called me and asked me to collect it. Paid them the customs duty of Rs 8600 odd and picked up the boots. The same boots in India cost 26K IIRC but the white and black was quite hideous so I have no complaints in paying the Indian government its due and getting myself the boots I want in a colour I like. Initial impressions after I use it for a few rides and do another track day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueunlimited View Post
Hey guys, I have an old Daijya Helmet, probably around 6-7 years old. I'm looking for a clear visor for the helmet.
Most people consider 7 years as the usable life of a helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
If you are looking for TCX riding boots, Highnoteperformance is running a flat 20% off on all TCX boots on all available sizes. You can find a shin length S Sportour for 11,200INR and S Speeds for 14,400 INR. Sweet deals!
TCX boots are very highly rated by users though online reviews are hard to come by. DJ helmets in Cochin stocks some TCX boots, havent found anyone stocking them in Bangalore though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
The boot looks like its wearing rather well. My Astars Ridge boots have probably seen maximum usage and despite being 3+ years old are holding pretty good

If possible, would love to see the pics of the soles please. Also, how many kms do you think these would have been used for?

Just a suggestion - Every now and then, use either "Mr leather" or "Meguirs" leather cleaner and conditioner. Will keep the leather supple, increase life and also add a little more water repellency
Fully agree with your comments, Urban Nomad. On the usage, I would safely say anywhere above 25,000 kms though I cant say how much more. The soles are still in good condition and I forgot to mention that the velcros are still strong. It usually is something that loses its functionality over time in several jackets so its good to see that A* has not cut corners on that.

I ordered a leather conditioner soon after reading your post, it was another thing on my long pending to get list. Thanks for the gentle push!

The Riding Gear thread-p5173364-large.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-p5173365-large.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 20:35   #2813
Distinguished - BHPian

How do I break in boots quickly? Just walk around the house in them?

Congrats Neil. Lovely boots.
Old 22nd May 2016, 21:20   #2814
AWD
BHPian

Any shops at Chandigarh to purchase quality riding gear ? Saw a couple but they stock some cheap local brands, don't think they'd fulfil the purpose they are meant for.
Old 22nd May 2016, 22:10   #2815
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sidi ST Air

Quote:
Look what just landed this week.
Niel

That A Star boots is one of the best investment that you would've ever made.

I had a major spill in UAE, exactly one year back to the month - my foot was 100% OK and the boot which was an exactly same pair was without even a serious scratch.

Even rest of my body was totally OK thanks to other ridding gear. I walked away from it all.

Helmet (Shoei - GT Air) took the full impact and my head was safe (the concussion caused a SIADH situation - which needed hospitalization for about 15 days to correct, is another matter).

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 22nd May 2016 at 22:12.
Old 23rd May 2016, 20:49   #2816
BHPian

Quote:

I would have only spent Rs 175 a month for my safety (10500 / (12*5)) which is what a good coffee or a decent sundae costs these days. Still think its too high a price to pay?
I have been using the SM-X 2 boots for four years and the SM-X 5 boots for 3 years now. Best investment I made. Both were expensive, but I trusted Alpinestars. I have covered 15000+ kilometres on both the boots combined and no problems till now. I had a really bad crash on my Duke 200. Repairs were 60k plus, I paid 15 after insurance. The Alpinestars gear protected me from even a single scratch. After thrashing them in all environments, they are still quite neat and comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
"Mr leather" or "Meguirs" leather cleaner and conditioner. Will keep the leather supple, increase life and also add a little more water repellency
Thanks for the advice. Doing this

The photo was taken when the stuff was relatively new, but the boots are still pretty neat
The Riding Gear thread-.jpg
Meccanico is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 14:30   #2817
Senior - BHPian

I do not know if this qualifies as Riding Gear per se' but my derrière sure feels good after this...lolz. I have put a review of the JOYRIDE Motorcycle Seat Cover here.

Cheers...
Old 3rd June 2016, 18:10   #2818
BHPian

Me and my riding gear!
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-riding_gear.jpg  

surjaonwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 10:44   #2819
Senior - BHPian

Got these new Revit Fly Summer Mesh gloves from AliExpress - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/REVIT...647414615.html

Reached in about 15 days.

The Riding Gear thread-revit-fly-gloves-13062016_1.jpg

Well packed in full original Revit packaging. No duties charged.

The Riding Gear thread-revit-fly-gloves-13062016_2.jpg

Fantastic quality which looks and feels absolutely original. Seems to be manufactured in same factory that supplies to Revit.

The Riding Gear thread-revit-fly-gloves-13062016_5.jpg

High quality velcros

The Riding Gear thread-revit-fly-gloves-13062016_6.jpg

All OE branding

The Riding Gear thread-revit-fly-gloves-13062016_7.jpg

Pure leather and breathable mesh outer

The Riding Gear thread-revit-fly-gloves-13062016_8.jpg

Knuckle guard protection

The Riding Gear thread-revit-fly-gloves-13062016_9.jpg

All OE labels

The Riding Gear thread-revit-fly-gloves-13062016_10.jpg

It costed me 2366 bucks when I had ordered it (34$). The seller has increased the prices since to 40$ from what I see. These retail around 10k here in India. You do the maths. Great product.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 11:00   #2820
Senior - BHPian

^^ Please do check out this video whenever you get the chance (ignore the crass humour) -

This is not original rev-it. Fine for tooling about in the city but there are better options available locally IMO
Urban_Nomad is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks