Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2017, 15:37   #2956
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
Not to nit-pick Sid, but Falco Oxegen 2 seem to retail at Rs.12750/-
Yea true, my bad. They cost inr 12750 in Pune as well, Moto 101 on DP road is where I tried them.

Quote:
Between, would you mind revealing the store where you sourced them ? Believe you had the chance to try them on prior to purchase.
I bought the solace boots from Open roads store (east wing, phoenix marketcity, Pune). I can share the owner's number if you want, He stocks BBG stuff as well. Fits perfect, great comfort as compared to the BBG boots, picked up a size 45, UK 11 is what usually fits me.

Last edited by Siddy : 17th February 2017 at 15:40.
Old 17th February 2017, 17:37   #2957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How to measure your palm length for buying gloves?
The below link outlines 2 ways of measuring the palm for glove size along with images. You can check which one suits you the best.

http://www.olympiagloves.com/blog/ho...ycle-glove-fit
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 03:27   #2958
BHPian

Recently picked up Alpinestar Web Gore-Tex shoes... A friend hand carried it from the UK.

First Impressions:

I've done about 400kms on the shoes.

Today's ride was an approximately 350kms, almost non-stop dash from Chennai to Bangalore. I could leave only around 09:00am in the morning so the entire ride was in relatively warm weather. Despite being water proof boots, it didn't heat up much on the inside.

The shoes were comfortable right from Day-1 mostly due to the soft leather and well designed flex-zones. The toe shifter on the Duke is extremely narrow and short, inspite of this the shoe fits under the lever quite easily. The only issue (my habit, I guess) was that I was riding on the brakes inadvertently becacuse flexing the shoe was causing a lot of strain. I am changing my riding style a little and moving the leg onto the lever only when required. I was even able to walk around without complaining too much.

Online feedback about the boots longevity is good but only time will tell.

The Riding Gear thread-img_20170216_071100.jpg

Tender coconut break enroute.

The Riding Gear thread-img_20170220_114030.jpg

Cheers!
Venom_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 05:30   #2959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_rider View Post
Recently picked up Alpinestar Web Gore-Tex shoes.......Despite being water proof boots, it didn't heat up much on the inside.

Just to add, using DRI-FIT socks with water proof riding boots makes the ride even more pleasant.

Last edited by ampere : 26th February 2017 at 21:03. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Happysmiles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 15:27   #2960
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks,

Am planning to invest on riding gear, all these years i preferred leather jackets but maintenance and weight is the concern.

I was looking at some jackets from Zeus and Rynox, any feedback on these brands?

Also, am looking to buy knee/shin protectors, any suggestions?
Amazon is selling "Scoyco" knee/elbow protectors not sure if its good/practical.
Old 26th February 2017, 16:06   #2961
BHPian

I have no personal experience with Rynox or Zeus gear. Impressions vary with the model selected, generally speaking, the cheapest in the range receive the most complaints.

Skip knee guards, choose riding pants, they provide abrasion protection as well. Most of the brands are roughly on par quality wise for the same price band, so focus on good fit first.

Leather doesn't need much maintenance, as long as you don't get it soaked. I clean my gear with baby wipes if it's dirty, otherwise not even that. Once in 6months to a year, I give it a more thourough cleaning using baby wipes, special leather cleaner (several choices, I have Muc Off leather cleanser tube) and then follow up with a leather conditioner (Lexol brand). That's like once a year, though I wear these leathers only 4-5 months from October to February, and textile for the remaining months.

Last edited by navin : 27th February 2017 at 15:13. Reason: knee mispelt
Old 26th February 2017, 20:16   #2962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4power View Post
I'm planning to buy a riding jacket. So need some guidance from our experienced riders. I'm on a tight budget. My budget is around 5k. I'm searching fo a decent quality mesh jacket.
Which one did you buy? I am in similar situation.

KK
Old 26th February 2017, 20:57   #2963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Which one did you buy? I am in similar situation.
I bought Biking Brotherhood xPlorer. There were many other jackets like Cramster, Zeus, Aspida etc. in that price range but I went for the BB xPlorer because of the kind of response BB Gear people gave me. They were so nice that they even sent me two key rings and a bunch of stickers for free even though I haven't bought my jacket directly from them. One of my friend bought it from Delhi. You can go for it. That's one of the best in that price range. And from my experience, I don't think you'll face any problem even if something goes wrong with the jacket during its transit. They are always up for their customers.

Last edited by ampere : 26th February 2017 at 21:03.
4x4power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 21:06   #2964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4power View Post
I bought Biking Brotherhood xPlorer. They are always up for their customers.

Thanks for letting us know. My almost 4 year old LS2 mesh jacket is showing it's age. Will consider BB jacket for my next purchase.
Old 7th March 2017, 11:34   #2965
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking to buy a tank-bag and not really particular about the size/volume of the same. I just need it too be decent quality and finish and that can hold a few bare essentials like a DSLR, Wallet, Toileteries etc

http://www.bikeopedia.in/luggage-tan...igator-Tankbag

How is this as an option?

Are there any other alternatives in the same price bracket as I'm not looking to shell out a lot of moolah for this accessory
Old 7th March 2017, 16:47   #2966
Distinguished - BHPian

Entering the space so that I have some good advice. I am planning to buy a bike and I don't want to delay the purchase of the gear much too. Before I start with the test rides, I'd like to buy a helmet. I am looking to get a CBR 250R mostly (or may be a Ninja 300) and the intend is to tour / cruise.

Am sure I may not want a top end riding gear and would love to hit a 5K cap (individually) for most stuffs like jacket, gloves, boots etc or could extend a bit more for quality. I may not want to go for extra knee caps etc and would like this to be incorporated with the pants - not sure we have good options at these prices, but please advice.

I am based out of Chennai, but could travel to Bangy as well to pick up good stuff in case it's not available in Chennai. I'd prefer an all season gear and wouldn't want different stuff for different seasons.

Items
  • Riding jacket
  • Riding pants
  • Full gauntlet gloves
  • Riding boots
  • Balaclava
Also want to know what do you wear inside when you wear these stuff? Dri-fit inners? Socks? inner gloves? Please add if I have missed anything.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th March 2017 at 16:51.
Old 7th March 2017, 17:18   #2967
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

I am based out of Chennai, but could travel to Bangy as well to pick up good stuff in case it's not available in Chennai. I'd prefer an all season gear and wouldn't want different stuff for different seasons.

Items
  • Riding jacket
  • Riding pants
  • Full gauntlet gloves
  • Riding boots
  • Balaclava
From my limited touring experience on two-wheels (Sikkim, Bhutan, Odisha, Jharkhand, Spiti Valley, Rajasthan, Rann of Kutch, Western Ghats, Kerala, Goa etc), I have been very content with my choice of riding gears.

I am using a Spartan ProGear Helios mesh jacket for touring. The mesh really helps during the hot summer days. I am also using Spartan ProGear Aspida touring pants - very comfortable and easy to wash. I bought the jacket for INR 6 K and the riding pants for INR 6.5 K in 2014, now the prices have gone up significantly.

Additionally, I have a Spartan ProGear Full Gauntlet riding gloves - perfect fit, can withstand abuse, no tantrums, very comfortable. I bought it for INR 3.2 K from Moto101, Pune in 2014.

Also, I am currently using RST Raptor Waterproof touring boots. I crossed many water-crossings during my Spiti ride wearing these boots, the waterproof boots really helps in such situations and are very comfortable. Sourced it from Bay City Speed Shop in Mumbai for INR 12K in 2015.

I am still using a Cramster Balaclava bought online in 2012 for INR 300 bucks only.

Currently I have two helmets :

1. SOL SL68 Metal Man - bought from A H Helmets, Mumbai for INR 5.3 K in 2012.

2. Shiro SH-335 - bought from XTorque, Pune for INR 5 K in 2015.

The SOL Metal Man feels slightly heavy for touring long distances so I use it for my usual urban commute.

The Shiro is lighter so it is currently being used for all my weekend rides.

However, not too satisfied with both my lids at the moment. I have shortlisted Bell RS-1 and AGV K5 as my next purchase, but not sure when that will happen.

Quote:
Also want to know what do you wear inside when you wear these stuff? Dri-fit inners? Socks? inner gloves? Please add if I have missed anything.
Yes dri-fit inners and dri-fit socks are essential.

I have not used inner gloves yet, never felt the need actually.

As of now, I do not feel the need to spend on riding gears apart from getting a new helmet. However, the more you spend, the better stuff you get. The leather riding gears are a lot safer, but mesh stuff keeps you cooler during the hot weather.

But as they say, it is better to sweat than to bleed.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 17:34   #2968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Looking to buy a tank-bag and not really particular about the size/volume of the same.
I own a Rynox Optimus M tankbag and has used it on Thunderbird and Himalayan during long rides. Very good build quality and functional design. And they come with good quality rain covers. Navigator also looks very similar in terms of material but smaller. Should be a wise investment.

Quote:
Entering the space so that I have some good advice.

Am sure I may not want a top end riding gear and would love to hit a 5K cap (individually) for most stuffs like jacket, gloves, boots etc or could extend a bit more for quality.
I started a similar journey about an year back and has acquired the gears except pants (which is due before next long ride). Rynox and Aspida are my choices of brands due to its value for money products without compromise on quality. But choosing one only after trying and do not go by size specifics or just by brand. Aspida Nemesis jackets fits me best while Rynox Advento pants fit me better than Aspida . Do not hesitate to spend few bucks extra for the one which feels you more comfortable and offers certified safety pads. Jacket and Pants generally last well if cared well.

Now gloves and boots are more sensitive due to its lesser lifespan but significant investment. I chose Royal Enfield gloves and picked up a tuff leather boot from Alberto Torresi which left me enough budget for pants. Not preaching any brands but just sharing my experience, do proper due diligence on your usage contexts before deciding on.
jacs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2017, 19:14   #2969
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Entering the space so that I have some good advice. I am planning to buy a bike and I don't want to delay the purchase of the gear much too. Before I start with the test rides, I'd like to buy a helmet. I am looking to get a CBR 250R mostly (or may be a Ninja 300) and the intend is to tour / cruise.
Which lid are you getting?

Cramster & DSG are good starting options as is Aspida. See if you can try prior to buying.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2017, 10:17   #2970
Distinguished - BHPian

Went to Moto 101 and Spartan Pro Gear shops in Chennai over the weekend. The guys are quite friendly and I did try over everything except the riding pants. Liked the Aspida jacket (though I was mad over the Macna night eye jacket costing 23K) and believe it's worth the money. The guy (John) at Moto 101 was very friendly and explained all the stuffs in detail. The approximate prices for the gears are as below
  • Aspida jacket : 6K
  • Aspida pants : 7k
  • Aspida gloves : 3.5K
  • Falco boot : 8K
  • Blade MT helmet : 6.5K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Which lid are you getting?

Cramster & DSG are good starting options as is Aspida. See if you can try prior to buying.
I tried MT Blade and was happy with it. Light weight, snug fit (XS size for me), additional padding around ears since it's got a speaker provision, DOT certified + SHARP rating of 3/5 for the model I looked at.

I am inclined to Aspida now as I couldn't try any other brands - both the above shops deal with Aspida predominantly but they also have Macna & Schmitar brands for jackets and Falco & Ryo for boots. Macna is quite expensive (though it has a premium look & feel compared to Aspida).

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
...But choosing one only after trying and do not go by size specifics or just by brand...
I agree. Different sub brands within Aspida had a slightly different fit I believe. Schmitar & Macna again had a slightly different fit again, so it's very important for someone to try the outfit before buying.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th March 2017 at 10:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks