Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2017, 20:23   #3106
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How are Oxford gears? I find them to be VFM
<snip>
I think I will have to buy a gloves soon, I just might come to Pune within a month and I pray to God that I don't see other stuff apart from gloves

Very few riding gear shops stock decent/good brands. Alpinestars in stocked by few but its popularity also implies that there may be few counterfeit stuff available.
It's Oxford RP1, sorry, not RP2. I can't say about the jackets and other gear as I have not used or tried/examined in person, but the gloves are pretty good. They seem thick and heavy (likely due to waterproof liner + kevlar liner) but broke in quickly and have the requisite scaphoid protection (Knox sliders) besides the knuckle and finger armour. I used them in rains and they did keep my hands dry.

I've hear relatively more complaints about Alpinestars gear falling apart (gloves, boots mostly), on several US/EU forums. I wonder if counterfeit Astars are that common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Planning a visit to BBG and Spartan and hence will look for GoreTex, Alpinestars and Klim.
Goretex is not a gear brand, it's a textile and a brand/trade name (like Kevlar or Nylon), that AlpineStars, Klim etc use in their riding gear under license. Other type of waterproof/water resistant textiles are also available, such as Hipora and D-Dry (D-Dry being Dainese proprietary equivalent of Goretex). Goretex is still likely the best, and it reflects in the prices.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 00:33   #3107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick question guys : Is Thailand a good place for getting the gears? Any places in Pattaya / Bangkok for getting it?
Old 20th November 2017, 09:22   #3108
Senior - BHPian

Bought this last week from their online store and should reach me today. I tried the Thunder SV3 at a physical store and zeroed in on the size before ordering. This is a new variant/graphic scheme. Wanted a high visibility helmet and picked this one.

The HJC RPHA10 which I was using for daily commutes for the past couple of months will now be reserved for highway rides.
Old 20th November 2017, 15:23   #3109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Quick question guys : Is Thailand a good place for getting the gears? Any places in Pattaya / Bangkok for getting it?
The following are some shops, which have been patronised in the past. Mixed experience I would say. Language is a major problem, hence, advisable to take a Thai speaker with you.

Dainese Thailand
97/2 Pradist Manudham Road, Lat Phrao District, Bangkok 10230, Thailand, Bangkok, Thailand
Phone: +66 2 539 4102

Pro Shop Paddock Co., Ltd
169/83-84,86 Ratchadapisek Rd, Din Daeng, Bangkok 10400, Thailand

Teera Motorcycle Thailand
249 ,1 Khwaeng Rong Muang, Khet Pathum Wan, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10330, Thailand
Phone: +66 2 214 0399

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 08:04   #3110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I tried the Thunder SV3 at a physical store and zeroed in on the size before ordering. This is a new variant/graphic scheme. Wanted a high visibility helmet and picked this one.
hello Aditya,
would you mind pointing me to the physical store where you could try this SV3 here in Bangalore ?
Any initial impressions of the same, lest it reached you ?
Old 21st November 2017, 19:21   #3111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
hello Aditya,
would you mind pointing me to the physical store where you could try this SV3 here in Bangalore ?
Lots of ppl stock MT - Orion Motos (koramanagala), Biking Spirit (residency road) - i know these 2 places have them.
Old 21st November 2017, 20:47   #3112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
The following are some shops, which have been patronised in the past. Mixed experience I would say. Language is a major problem, hence, advisable to take a Thai speaker with you.

Dainese Thailand
97/2 Pradist Manudham Road, Lat Phrao District, Bangkok 10230, Thailand, Bangkok, Thailand
Phone: +66 2 539 4102....
Thank you. What's the max value of stuff that can be brought into India without any duties levied?
Old 21st November 2017, 21:52   #3113
BHPian

The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Thank you. What's the max value of stuff that can be brought into India without any duties levied?

I believe it is Rs. 45000 if your stay is more than 3 days. Details here

http://www.cbec.gov.in/resources/htd...n05feb2015.pdf

Having said that I have got back gear like jackets, pants and boots far exceeding this limit as customs does not particularly look at items of clothing.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 22:49   #3114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you found significant differences in prices between Bangkok & India for Dainese/AGV stuff ?

I was looking around for Shoei helmets and the cheapest option (outside Japan) seems to be Singapore. GT-Air for 600SGD.
Old 22nd November 2017, 01:28   #3115
Senior - BHPian

The Riding Gear thread

*DEAL ALERT*
Motorcycle Superstore is having a clearance sale and there are some items that can be had for an absolute steal!
So if you are in US or know people living there then I envy you! Just hurry up before sizes and items run out.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1511294221.852459.jpg
shyn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 13:27   #3116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Orion Motos (koramanagala), Biking Spirit (residency road) - i know these 2 places have them.
hello Ethan,
I'm aware of these two stores stocking MT's but the trouble with Biking Spirit was that their stock of helmets in general is very lean. However, Orion's stocks is quite extensive & I just got back after paying them a visit. They yet don't have the new line-up/graphics of Thunder 3 SV (Torn Series) nor the Isle Of Man but the store manager assured that these are on their way & should be up on the display by next saturday. I will probably check with them on the restock prior to deciding the next course of action.

Meanwhile, Orion has now moved to Suzuki from Yamaha. I was looking for Orion "Yamaha", over shot & had to do a long rendezvous under the blazing sun & choked traffic. Just an FYI for those headed that way.

Last edited by tabrez : 22nd November 2017 at 13:29. Reason: rearranged
Old 29th November 2017, 14:21   #3117
BHPian

So, thanks to closeout sales happening in the US, I just picked up a pair of Alpinestars Faster shoes for a very good price of 75$. 50% off!

I got the right size luckily. Should help me with the city rides with decent protection as they are mainly for commuting use.

They look great and hopefully should be with me by January next year when my friend comes from the US.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-2014alpinestarsfastershoesmcss.jpg  

nikhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 09:20   #3118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
hello Aditya,
Moto101 on lalbagh road opposite MTR is an exclusive dealer for MT helmets and other Spartan brands. Try on a couple of helmets within the same model and size range. I realized my helmet size was "L" only after trying on two helmets since one of them had the cheek pads swapped with another helmet. I would have ordered the wrong size if not for this.
Old 30th November 2017, 09:34   #3119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I realized my helmet size was "L" only after trying on two helmets since one of them had the cheek pads swapped with another helmet. I would have ordered the wrong size if not for this.
Deja Vu - had exactly the same conclusion to make after I tried a couple of helmets across MT's Blade, Revenge & Thunder SV3 line-up at Orion's store. MT's measurement chart indicated that I would need "Medium" while practically trying few specimen's out revealed that I needed a "Large" in Revenge & Thunder SV3 OR a "Medium" in Blade lineup. I guess it's always better to try these stuff in person prior to ordering, even if it's online.

Between, how are you finding the wind-noise in your Thunder-SV3 ? Some impressions on that would really help.
Old 3rd December 2017, 10:49   #3120
BHPian

My hunt for the gloves finally came to an end yesterday (2nd Dec'17)
After the visit to the famous Rainbow helmet shoppe in Thousand Lights, Chennai (Purchased a Vega half face hemet for better half), stepped into the next shop the recently famous Spartan Pro Gear.

Picked up the Aspida all leather gloves which was the only variant which fitted my small palms.

The package
The Riding Gear thread-aspida-cover-small.jpg

Gloves naked
The Riding Gear thread-aspida-open-small.jpg

The colors available on the Aspida mesh gloves were not pleasing and hence rejected them.
Felt the Scimitar city gloves were not much a VFM

Also picked up the Balaclava
The Riding Gear thread-balaclava.jpg

Shop was good, but the sales people were not going the extra mile to satisfy customer needs. Could see many people coming in, but the sales personnels doesnt seem to be interested (chit chatting)

Why saying this? The first gloves I tried were of size L and once it was not fitting, the sales guy lost his interest.
Since I was desperate to get a glove, insisted him to show a smaller/medium size and then he obliged. Didnt like this attitude towards the customer.

But do I visit again, yes only for the products and not for their attitude.
dre@ms is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks