Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2020, 16:45   #3406
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Hello Race boot fans,

There's a 40% discount on TCX RT-Race Pro Air boots at High Note Performance
It seems to be a very good deal at Rs.22,200/- as only 3 sizes are available in black, grab them before they are gone!

/surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 23:09   #3407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Why didn't you buy from bikegear then? I think if luck is on your side, the customs might just not be levied like in some other cases.
Bikegear was not having it in stock at the time of my ordering. About luck i hope so.
Quote:
.Did you go up a size as well? Will wait to hear from you on how the boots fit you in the size you ordered. That's another lottery
Yes I went a size up . I always wear a size 43 in all brands even for hiking boots. I took 44 after recommendations from advpulse reviews.
Quote:
. I went out and tried the SIDI racing/street boots for fit and found the 45 fitting me alright. Maybe the 46 with a better insole will be just right with additional space at the toe box for wiggle room.
Even that's what I'm planning . Really need a comfort sole after the accident . I even bought nipple pasties to apply on my inner ankle to reduce soreness on my surgical site. . Reason being when I tried wearing my old forma adventure I felt mild soreness on my inner ankle area. Coming from a medical background I knew there was not much options to avoid soreness.
dinodavid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 20:24   #3408
BHPian

This post is with regards to my experience of going through the purchase process of my riding gears

Some background information

I had purchased TVS Ntorq Racing Edition in Dec'19 and ever since I was looking in invest in quality riding gear for safety.

Main Criteria:
1. Level 2 protection
2. Brand
3. Product durability and overall Finish
4. Pricing

After researching over the internet, watching numerous reviews on youtube over 3 months for good riding jacket and pants, I had shortlisted the following brands:

1. TVS Performance Gear
2. Rynox
3. SpartanProGear (Aspida and Scimitar)

I personally wanted to try the products once before I purchase them and had planned to visit stores mentioned further in the post. However soon the lockdown happened and purchase plan took a backseat, so I never bothered again until lockdown eased in the month of May.

Around mid of May, I visited the SPG store in HSR Layout and tried various jackets and pants of Aspida and Scimitar, but none were fitting well. So SPG was ruled out.

I then visited the LGU store, but they were out of stock for Rynox gears. On the way back home, I dropped in at Orion store in Koramangala, tried the Rynox Urban X jacket and was satisfied the overall quality and fitting. So this was one of the jackets I had shortlisted. They didn't have the pants in stock, so couldn't try them.

Now on the first instance, I was slightly biased towards the TVS Performance Riding Gear due to the colour schemes and the BRAND being similar to my ride.

So I contacted various TVS dealerships across Bangalore. Guess what?? They had absolutely no clue about it.
I checked their website for details. As it is there is very limited information published on their website, I observed the following:

1. No information on safety certification (except for vaguely mentioned Level1 and Level 2 jackets)
2. No information on the protectors (brand) used.
3. No information on availability or(the lack of it) of Rain and Winter liners.
4. No information about the warranty

I found this shocking, as other brands publish such details clearly. So to get clarity on these details I dialled up their customer care who promised to get back to me with the information but never did get back to me.

Current Situation
Yesterday, I came across a paid promotion from the TVS_AOG handle( Apache Owners Group) on Instagram offering 20% discount on the merchandise offered by TVS. So I sent them a message to get the above information.

Following are the screenshots of the conversation.

The Riding Gear thread-1.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-2.jpg

I don't know what to make out of the above replies but Ok, I received some advice. I can live with that.

The Riding Gear thread-3.jpg

Level 2 jacket which costs Rs.6500/- don't come with any liners. Rynox offers both with their Air GT3. But that epic reply *It comes with stripes to hang the jacket when not in use* Wow! How does it even co-relate to the liners?

The Riding Gear thread-4.jpg

Company doesn't want to disclose the brand of the protectors?? Why wouldn't they want to? Because it would hijack the limelight from the brand TVS or maybe they are of inferior quality?

Warning: You'd be shocked at response when asked about the warranty.
The Riding Gear thread-20200714_175348.jpg

By now, I was shell shocked at the responses received that I didn't know how to react. No warranty for a product that I have paid for

Conclusion

As vague as their website is, these are half-baked efforts for PR and marketing. For instance, many of their products have been out of stock ever since they were launched.
I remember reading about harrowing experiences of the Royal Enfield merchandise store but TVS is taking it to next level!!

I find it very appalling, that a brand like TVS lacks transparency in their dealings and is taking their customers for a ride quite literally.

Would I purchase the gear from TVS? Would I recommend them to anyone?

Even if they offer it complimentary, it would be a big NO!!!! I just don't trust their riding gear and have no confidence about getting any sort of support from their if anything goes wrong.

As mentioned by a BHPian in one of the above posts, don't just blindly go for the brand no matter how good it might be. Take a trial of the gears and go for what fits you well.

Stay Safe, Ride Safe!

AJ739
AJ739 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 20:56   #3409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinodavid View Post
Bikegear was not having it in stock at the time of my ordering. About luck i hope so.
What’s the delivery situation on your boots like?
Old 16th July 2020, 13:59   #3410
BHPian

Gentlemen hello! I just picked up a RE interceptor 650 yesterday. I live in Chennai and would need a few accessories for my bike! This is probably the best thread to get that information hopefully!

I stay about 30kms south of the city and am looking to get a jacket for me and the missus. We bought helmets from spartan pro gear shop on ECR.

For jackets I was advised rynox. My budget is about 8 to 9 k per jacket. Unfortunately the rynox dealers are in the city and I don't want to go there for now. Would there be any shops in Chennai on OMR or ECR that sell rynox?

Thanks all. Ride safe!
derek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 05:24   #3411
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Gentlemen hello! I just picked up a RE interceptor 650 yesterday. I live in Chennai and would need a few accessories for my bike! This is probably the best thread to get that information hopefully!

I stay about 30kms south of the city and am looking to get a jacket for me and the missus. We bought helmets from spartan pro gear shop on ECR.

For jackets I was advised rynox. My budget is about 8 to 9 k per jacket. Unfortunately the rynox dealers are in the city and I don't want to go there for now. Would there be any shops in Chennai on OMR or ECR that sell rynox?

Thanks all. Ride safe!
Lazy ass bikers (Andheri) sells online now amd has started stocking rynox gear. Check them out and buy it online from them if they’re delivering intercity
Old 17th July 2020, 08:01   #3412
BHPian

I don’t want to buy anything online because of the size. I’d rather go to a shop and try something on. There is also viaterra gear, has anyone heard of them?

I need :

2 jackets budget approx 8-9k per jacket
2 pairs of gloves, about 5k each
Soft tail bag. For a trip that would be overnight. So nothing very big.

I think most dealers like spartan on ECR don’t have much stock now due to Covid. Looking for shops in south Chennai please, thanks guys!
Old 17th July 2020, 13:43   #3413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don’t want to buy anything online because of the size. I’d rather go to a shop and try something on. There is also viaterra gear, has anyone heard of them?

I need :

2 jackets budget approx 8-9k per jacket
2 pairs of gloves, about 5k each
Soft tail bag. For a trip that would be overnight. So nothing very big.

I think most dealers like spartan on ECR don’t have much stock now due to Covid. Looking for shops in south Chennai please, thanks guys!
Derek, you have a good budget for your gear. The usual recommendation that most folks have is Rynox for riding gear and Viaterra for luggage. Just reach out to Rynox directly and ask them for help on the best dealer to help you with the specific gear you need.

As you said, try and buy is the best approach. For city riding in Madras, the Air GT3 is likely your best bet and the other option will be Storm Evo. The Air GT3 gives you excellent ventilation and is a boon in a hot and humid city. If you are only going to use the jacket for touring, just do stretch your budget a bit and get the Stealth Evo instead.

I bought the black Air GT3 and was talking to someone from Rynox about having more sedate / sober colour offerings that are corporate friendly. The feedback that he gave me was quite interesting and something that I didnt expect. He said in hotter conditions, the riders were finding the lighter colour jackets to be more comfortable and hence they have a much lighter coloured offering. From a physics perspective, it does make a lot of sense but not everyone would want a light coloured flashy jacket to wear to work.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 18:27   #3414
BHPian

Thanks a lot Neil for the helpful reply. Yeah I fully understand your sentiment regarding your jacket. For me it’s the opposite. I’d love to buy the flashiest most colourful jacket available in the market! Primarily because I’d be doing short runs to Mahabalipuram or Pondicherry and back and not to work.

In fact I did pick up a viaterra 22L pod (tail luggage soft bag)just about right now. Ordered it online. Their gloves also seem to look very neat! However gloves and jackets I’d definitely want to try on first.

I went to spartan today and had a look at the schmitar jackets. They didn’t seem to impress me much honestly. I’m gonna see if I can get some more information on the rynox jackets and will probably have to go see them personally. Seems like no one has a xl GT air rynox available in Chennai. No stock I’m told.

Will have to wait I guess.
Old 18th July 2020, 00:41   #3415
BHPian

Quote:
In fact I did pick up a viaterra 22L pod (tail luggage soft bag)just about right now. Ordered it online. Their gloves also seem to look very neat! However gloves and jackets I’d definitely want to try on first.
I can vouch for Viaterra brand. Been a fan of theirs since I got the CLAW v1.0 tail bag from them for my Classic 500. In fact, the 22L pod is the most underrated one. I bought one back in Nov 2019 and its by far the most vfm purchase. I also travel with pillion - if smart, one can pack a lot of things into the POD. It also has a waterproof liner (velcro attached) and I've ridden it in the rains too - the contents were perfectly dry.

I recently purchased their full gauntlet gloves and they are perfect. Takes a little time to break-in, you'll be reminded of Thanos from the Avengers; now it feels part of my body only. You can check with them if they have dealers in Chennai where you could try them out. They also have short sleeve gloves called Holeshot.

Congratulations on your purchase and safe rides!
TheVaas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 12:27   #3416
BHPian

Hi all, so it's been three months since i have been looking at my first pair of riding boots and it seems the Indians brands don't have my size. I started looking at international brands like Forma, Alpinestars, TCX etc. For starters i only ride in the city and occasionally on highways for a short ride or so, not much into touring. I browsed bikegear.in and saw the TCX X-Blend boots which i think are perfect for me because it is a casual looking boot with a steel toe, ankle protection plus the whole boot including the outside material is CE rated. Can you suggest anything else under the 20000/- mark for what the TCX retails for?

I have 13 size feet and i was wondering how much do riding boots differ in size to their normal counterparts?
CarManMotorcycl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 13:28   #3417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarManMotorcycl View Post
I have 13 size feet and i was wondering how much do riding boots differ in size to their normal counterparts?
Hey,

You should consider relocating to the US of A Seriously 13! (Just kidding)

Mate, having extreme feet sizes have both plus & minus. Plus is you can get a great closeout deal; minus is sheer lack of variety!

All major brands have a size chart in EU & US/UK sizes. Check out international website, youtube videos for a review breakdown. Mostly they tell you if they run a size large or small. But for your case if you filter by size you'll have limited options.

I would suggest, first try a standard pair of riding boots to get a reference. Being in Pune you can try Alpinestars at Planetdsg @MG Road. From there you can refer to US/UK or EU sizing for your riding boots. Also, some US brands have sizing in 1/2 sizes.

In addition, most riding boots are made of technical (artificial) materials hence don't expect it'll expand and and accommodate your feet as normally told. Tip: when in doubt upsize half a size! You can live with it by wearing thicker socks or by adding an in-step/in-sole. If you get a size small then it's useless!

Lastly, secure your future needs. Today you might think you're not into touring but you might end up riding to Hampi from Pune! Experts will say get a touring boot that can be worn for short rides.

TCX is a good option. Other options are very limited for you as most brands max out at US-11/12.

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 18th July 2020 at 13:31.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 14:01   #3418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinodavid View Post
3k is only customs excluding GST. They said in india it's mostly 18% GST and sometimes they charge a flat charge of 1000 rs. Most of the times they said that it's unregulated.
A friend of mine who imports shoes gave me this quote. Boots at max 30% customs including gst and helmets 15%-18% customs including gst. I'm still in confusion.
I've imported gear from head to toe. The total duty to be paid all inclusive is around 45% of the landing cost. It has never been lesser than 40%. That's the standard rate for all personal imports. All the HSN codes and different duty structures based on items are for traders with import licenses. Personal imports cost a bomb and there's no one to lobby for reduction

27k including shipping would end up with ~12k in duties unless you're really lucky.

There's no point in importing if you can get the same item in India (even better if at a local store) at a similar price or even at 10-15% higher as you can exchange it quite easily in case the item doesn't fit. If you exchange with a foreign shop, not only do you have to pay for two-way shipping, you'd also have to pay the entire damn duty amount once more

Last edited by theredliner : 18th July 2020 at 14:03.
theredliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 21:10   #3419
BHPian

Thanks for the review on the gloves! I called all the dealers in Chennai apparently the size is not available. Are there any other online stores here sell brands like alpine stars or shima etc?

Btw viaterra are also planning on releasing jackets next month as I was told. I might actually wait because I like the quality of these products. This Covid has really messed with stock and deliveries big time sadly!
Old 20th July 2020, 20:44   #3420
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks all. Ride safe!
Get it online. I ordered their Urban few weeks ago. The quality is really good and they have an amazing customer service.

Their size chart is accurate, so if you take your measurements and order accordingly, you should be good.
DharmeshGohil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks