Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2020, 09:34   #3451
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
You are killing my budget but that is anyday better than falling off the motorcycle while wearing inadequate gear. There's always emis to soften the blow

I definitely plan also to sign up for the superbike riding schools so that I am ready to upgrade to the litre class a few years down the line.

Safety is my first priority having busted my knee couple of back while not wearing gear on a regular city ride. Among Rynox and solace, which is the better brand? Both offer same level of protection.. Solace has some deals going on. Am yet to try them, will be visiting Orion this weekend to try out the stuff.
If you are planning to upgrade to a big bike a few years from now, it is probably a good choice to invest in better (read more expensive) riding gear now itself, otherwise you will buy one set of gear now and then realize it is inadequate later when you buy a bigger bike. That will mean another round of shopping for you. So I would say go for the full gauntlet gloves and full length boots in this round of gear buying.

Between Rynox and Solace, it is a tough call really, I dont know if one can decisively say one or the other is the definitive choice. Both give you very good protection at very affordable prices. Personally, I felt the fit on the Rynox jackets was better than that of the Solace jackets. Others feel the opposite. Try and buy which fits you better and what looks better to you. Orion should have both brands so you can try them one after the other and then decide.

Orion will have the A* boots with them as well.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 10:08   #3452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
You are killing my budget but that is anyday better than falling off the motorcycle while wearing inadequate gear. There's always emis to soften the blow

I definitely plan also to sign up for the superbike riding schools so that I am ready to upgrade to the litre class a few years down the line.

Safety is my first priority having busted my knee couple of back while not wearing gear on a regular city ride. Among Rynox and solace, which is the better brand? Both offer same level of protection.. Solace has some deals going on. Am yet to try them, will be visiting Orion this weekend to try out the stuff.

I am in a similar boat trying to purchase my first jacket and had narrowed down Rynox and Aspida. The ASPIDA Odysseus All Season Touring Jacket costs around the Dane price including the cost of chest protector which needs to be bought separately and costs 750. I understand Solace is not in the list but Aspida might be something to consider since it is rated at 800D abrasion vs 600D. But again the A* range are also 600D and felt lighter than Rynox.

Also Aspida offers 2 year warranty as against Rynox and 50% replacement offer for regular wear and tear usage for a new jacket as per the Orion sales team.

It would all come down to the fit and comfort at the end if day. Try with the thermal wear and without, moving around the store and see if you can move around freely.
There was only one quantity left of the Rynox and no clue on when the new stock is expected to arrive. Also note the jackets felt quite heavy which might not really bode well in short rides or the occasional breakfast trips.

The Orion folks would also try upselling to A* jacket which has a lot of better fit and light weight compared to either of Rynox or Aspida in case. Once you try them it would be hard to go back to Rynox or other heavy ones.
Phoenix_VR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 17:42   #3453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_VR View Post
I am in a similar boat trying to purchase my first jacket and had narrowed down Rynox and Aspida. The ASPIDA Odysseus All Season Touring Jacket costs around the Dane price including the cost of chest protector which needs to be bought separately and costs 750. I understand Solace is not in the list but Aspida might be something to consider since it is rated at 800D abrasion vs 600D. But again the A* range are also 600D and felt lighter than Rynox.
Spartan makes some very good jackets and they have been in a game for a lot longer than both Rynox and Solace, though they sometimes get forgotten in the conversation. The only thing that might count against some of the Spartan offerings is that the armour they use is their own Aspida branded stuff. In comparison, the armour used in Rynox and Solace is similarly certified ones from very reputed companies abroad. Should it matter who makes the armour as long as it passes the required certification? Thats a question for another day!
Old 22nd August 2020, 09:19   #3454
BHPian

Just an update. I ordered a Sena 5S dual box for me and the Missus. Cost about 24k on bikenbiker. It’s from their newest lineup and believe it’s just launched a few months back.

It was this or the Cardo freedom +. The Sena seemed newer so decided to give it a go. Will update when I get the box. Thanks guys!
derek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 11:34   #3455
BHPian

Hello guys, could someone please help me with pointing out some good quality knee guards. I need to purchase them online. Apart from the rynox, aspida and cramster, is there anything else available? Thank you!
Old 24th August 2020, 13:22   #3456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Hello guys, could someone please help me with pointing out some good quality knee guards....
I used the Aspida knee guards across a few rides and while they are not uncomfortable while riding, the problem starts when you take it off during breaks. This is not something you can avoid because they tend to shift when you are walking. I found the straps a bit inconvenient especially with gloves on. I suggest you get yourself a good pair of riding pants with knee and hip armour. This would of course leave the lower part of your shins unprotected but riding boots should take care of that.
If you are absolutely hung up on knee guards get the Alpinestars. They are superior to the other available options and look better too.

Last edited by Roy.S : 24th August 2020 at 13:23.
Roy.S is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 13:49   #3457
BHPian

I'd definately be taking off the knee guards as I step off the bike and walk, so honestly that doesn't bother me.

Will have a look at the alpine stars as suggested, thank you. Does anyone use the rynox bionic ones?
derek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 15:45   #3458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Hello guys, could someone please help me with pointing out some good quality knee guards. I need to purchase them online. Apart from the rynox, aspida and cramster, is there anything else available? Thank you!
By far the most comprehensive and comfortable knee guards I've ever worn are leatt dual hinge guards. It's available at lazyassbikers
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 16:24   #3459
BHPian

Thanks they look really good, wish they were in a different colour though. I’ll probably pick them up nonetheless.Also, I need some gear for my wife as well. I wish there was just like one website that did women’s biking! Would be so much easier to shop rather than bits and pieces from different websites.
Old 28th August 2020, 15:08   #3460
BHPian

Hi,

I took delivery of Interceptor 650 in June, 2020 and am riding after almost 9 years. I earlier had Apache 150, 1st gen which I had sold off in 2011.

I also had a Cramster mesh jacket (size M) which I had purchased in 2009-10 and regularly used it for around 1 1/2 years and surprisingly still fits .

Just wanted to know whether its worth retaining the jacket and replacing the armours(elbow and shoulder CE 2 from Cramster are for 999/-) and D3O back protector armour CE 2 is for around 3600/- or I should get new jacket.

Thanks

Setu Niket
setuniket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 17:09   #3461
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
Hi,

Just wanted to know whether its worth retaining the jacket and replacing the armours(elbow and shoulder CE 2 from Cramster are for 999/-) and D3O back protector armour CE 2 is for around 3600/- or I should get new jacket.

Thanks

Setu Niket
You can keep the jacket and replace only the pads. That is what warrants replacement for safety. The jacket if in good nick will function exactly as intended.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 18:37   #3462
BHPian

Has anyone here used Bikeratti riding jeans? I am not so keen on getting regular riding pants because I don't really like the look or feel of them but denims seem to be tolerable. Bikeratti claims to use a kevlar layer inside and the armour is D3O which you can't go wrong with. The only downside is that I'll have to get a separate pair of waterproof over pants since these don't seem to be have any waterproofing.
Are they worth getting?

Last edited by Roy.S : 28th August 2020 at 18:39.
Roy.S is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 21:07   #3463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post

I also had a Cramster mesh jacket (size M) which I had purchased in 2009-10 and regularly used it for around 1 1/2 years and surprisingly still fits .

Given the age of the jacket and since you're anyway spending approx 4600 INR - you could go for the Rynox Air GT3 riding jacket (6k approx). Its from their newer lineup and has CE2 protection as well as other features. New bike + New jacket is always a win win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Has anyone here used Bikeratti riding jeans? I am not so keen on getting regular riding pants because I don't really like the look or feel of them but denims seem to be tolerable. Bikeratti claims to use a kevlar layer inside and the armour is D3O which you can't go wrong with. The only downside is that I'll have to get a separate pair of waterproof over pants since these don't seem to be have any waterproofing.
Are they worth getting?
I have been using the Clover riding jeans for quite sometime now and definitely prefer them over riding pants especially in summer. They have foam hip protectors but D30 at the knee and shin. Monsoons I have to wear a rainproof pants over them - but that's the case with the usual riding pants also these days. Either the liners are external or they come with rain pants. I'd recommend riding jeans if it's mostly for city/highway commutes.
TheVaas is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 14:38   #3464
Distinguished - BHPian

The Riding Gear thread-img20200831wa002101.jpeg

Riding long days drenched to the bone is not cool.

Exactly 4 years back I was at this very location - Jungle Lodges JLR, Anshi nature camp during the hard and heavy Indian monsoons. At the time I had no waterproof gear on me and the ride was miserable, stressful, and downright dangerous. I made a promise then that it was waterproof gear or bust.

Your rain jacket might be light and waterproof, but is it breathable? The adventure-spec Aqua Pac jacket that I am wearing is made of a proprietary material that makes it lightweight (400 g) AND breathable! Also packs well into the back of the Mongolia trail jacket - well worth it if you are an all-season motorcyclist.

My pants are the Klim overland goretex pants. 4 years of use and the pants are still waterproof. Got them thanks to the recommendation from
Lyndon Poskitt during his first RTW.

The motorcycle boots are TCX boots track evo waterproof boots that aren't sold anymore. Waterproof until a 18 wheeler billows you with a tsunami out on the freeway.

My luggage is the SW-Motech 350 drybag from Big Bad Bikes. 4 years of hard use and the bag is still watertight. There is some wear, but nothing a DIY patch kit can't fix.

Riding in the rain is a beautiful experience and is not something to shy away from. Gear up right and you will be smiling as wide as your throttle. Ride safe this rain season!

Full instagram post here

Last edited by Aditya : 1st September 2020 at 12:03. Reason: Please avoid use of characters such as @ and # while posting
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 14:59   #3465
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

After being confused for a good couple of months, I finally ordered a pair of Alpinestars Toucan riding boots from Bikegear sometime in the end of July. After a month-long wait, the boots arrived last evening.

I'm yet to go on a ride wearing these, will do so over the weekend hopefully.

Attachment 2049803

The Riding Gear thread-screenshot_2020083114463401.jpeg

The Riding Gear thread-screenshot_2020083114462701.jpeg
//M is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks