Team-BHP > Road Safety > Ride Safe

Old 28th October 2020, 23:22   #3541

Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Congratulations! You seem to have picked up stuff from the LABS catalogue. Held is a good brand. Fellow bhp-ian Axe77 wears Held riding gears. As you're from Mumbai you can try and buy

But I see no mention of Riding pants/jeans. I would suggest to include that also in the hunt! Pillion can start with knee guards, LABS has some good options from Leatt protectors.

Happy riding,
/surjaonwheelz
Yes I did select from Labs website, thought Iíll shop everything from one place instead of hopping different places.

Will definitely look at riding pants now that you have mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Those are some awesome purchase decisions /choices you've made. Scorpion is a great brand and the price to quality / safety quotient is very high. Held is fantastic too. I use their gloves, jacket and pants.
Other than Held Iím considering Viaterraís Munro jacket and Viaterraís Gauntlet gloves. I did read some positive things about viaterra few post back. Plus point which I found was custom fit jacket and Sastec Level 2 protection at shoulder, back and elbow.

Quote:
If you are buying from LABS (that did indeed sound straight off the LABS catalog), do make it a point to consult with Vivek who mans the store. He provides excellent advise and never tries to push the wrong product just for the sake of a sale. I trust him COMPLETELY for right advise. And that's really important when making such purchases. etc.
I did meet him and did come across as you mentioned. For now Iíve decided on buying helmet and riding boots from LAB.

Quote:
I think once you're done with gear you'll probably want to consider other touring friendly stuff in the next phase. You might want to start listing some stuff based on your needs and the kind of touring you plan to do. Luggage solutions, phone mounts, bungee and similar if required, etc etc.
Iím looking forward for that. Hopefully biking gowns on me
GP19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 10:03   #3542
BHPian

Hello Bhpians, I am in the process of upgrading from a 150 cc commuter bike to a 650cc sports tourer. Presently I just have an oversized Studds helmet and nothing else. Never considered riding gear was necessary and my commutes were mostly in the city. However, I am considering to start breakfast rides, touring on the upcoming bike. So I need help to choose the riding gear. I have been reading/ watching videos about riding gear and now want to shortlist which gives me a rough estimate about the expense. I do not want to end up spending everything on the bike and then compromise on safety. Hence this early planning about the riding gear. I am presently in Goa and there are no good stores which have a lot of options. So I need to either pick up whats available or order online.

This could be a fairly long post and I will try posting as much details as possible against each. Also the queries might seem noob to many and I would like to state that this is the first time I am purchasing all the gear and I am new to this genre.

(a) Helmet (Size : M) : -

Requirement :-

(i) Double D ring fasteners.
(ii) Low wind noise.
(iii) DOT, ECE certification. (SNELL certification is welcome but does not allow internal sun visor).
(iv) Internal Sun Visor (a good to have or else have to look for shades under the helmet or carrying double visor which I feel is not so practical).
(v) Good build quality and paddings.

Budget : - 6k-8k (Approx)

Shortlisted : -

(i) MT Revenge 3 SV (double D ring, internal sun visor, DOT & ECE certifications). However not sure about the wind noise. Also the older models of Thunder 3 SV have Double D rings. So there are few old models lying at selected stores. Found one which is 2019 make helmet. Rs 6250/-

Query 1: - Can anyone provide some information about wind noise? Also can we buy a one year old model which has been lying around in the display of the store? Apart from this old model Thunder 3 SV in the store, I could find one online too which I am sure is an old model.

Any other helmets which you all can suggest which meet my requirements?

(b) Riding Jacket : -

Requirements : -

(i) Mesh jacket.
(ii) Level 2 good quality armours for Shoulders, Arms, Back & Chest (KNOX, SAS-TEC).
(iii) CE certification.
(iv) External Rain coat (Good to have. Or else will buy an external rain liner)
(v) Good build quality.

Budget : - 8k (Approx)

(i) Solace Sabre Mesh jacket (Level 2 good quality armours for Shoulders, Arms, Back & Foam Chest protectors which are upgradable to level 1 at extra money, 1000D cordura material on shoulders and arms but has less mesh in the front. Has a pocket behind for water pouch also). However my size is not available on Solace store. Should scout for it. Price 8500/-

(ii) Rynox Tornado Pro 3 mesh jacket (Level 2 Knox armours for Shoulders and Arms, Level 2 Safetech foam armour for back, Chest pockets available but armour has to be bought separately which is not available presently online or in the store near my place. Good amount of mesh in the front. No water pouch and only 600D cordura material). Price 8350/-

Query 2: - How is Solace Sabre mesh jacket? Any users? Also I have read in the other forum that Solace has sold Sabre jacket with some other cheaper chinese armour and not Sas tec as mentioned in their website. Did anyone face such problems?

(c) Full Gauntlet Gloves : -

(i) Full Gauntlet.
(ii) Good quality with protection.

Budget : - 3k-4k (Approx)

(i) Aspida Ares Full Gauntlet (Decent protection but no sliders on arm etc). Price 3300/-

(ii) Viaterra Grid (Good protection with Knox sliders and pinky finger bridge etc but little expensive). Price 5000/-

(iii) Rynox Stealth (Good protection with similar specs as Viaterra grid sans Pinky finger bridge. Price 5000/-

Query 3: - Is the Viaterra grid worth the money? Somehow I feel viaterra products are expensive. Is the quality so good when compared to others that the amount is justified? I personally like the Viaterra Grid gloves but the price is making me think twice. Is there any other gloves which fit the bill?

(d) Riding Pant :-

(i) Ventilation.

(ii) Good protection preferably Level 2 good quality armours at knee, hip.

Budget : - 8k (Approx)

(i) Solace Cool pro Mesh Pant (Level 2 Sas-Tec armours for Knee, Shin & Level 2 Visco Elastic hip protectors). Will buy this if I select the Solace Sabre Jacket. Price 8150/-

(ii) Rynox Advento Pant (Level 1 Knox armours for Knee, Shin and Hip instead of Level 2 of the Solace). Price 7850/-

(e) Riding Boots :-

(i) Good Protection for ankle, toe.
(ii) Water resistant.

Budget :- 9k (Approx)

(i) Ryo Raptor from Spartanprogear (I know its a compromise but may be will upgrade to better ones later). Price 10000/-

Query 4: - I am presently in Goa and there are no stores which stock Solace gears. However they are ready to procure it on order and then I will not have any option to back off if I did not like them. I tried out Rynox jackets and they felt good and comfortable. However I have a query regarding fitting. The jacket feels extremely snug fit and tight with the internal winter liner and rain liner on. So can we bump up the size and take the next one? With out the rain and winter liner, the jacket feels good fit. I am sure the winter liner will be used very occasionally. The down side bumping up the size is that the armours tend to move around a lot which even after adjusting the straps.

I am sorry to bombard with so many queries. Thank you.

Ani
Ani0404 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 14:56   #3543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
Also the queries might seem noob to many and I would like to state that this is the first time I am purchasing all the gear and I am new to this genre.

Query 1: - Can anyone provide some information about wind noise? Also can we buy a one year old model which has been lying around in the display of the store? Apart from this old model Thunder 3 SV in the store, I could find one online too which I am sure is an old model.

Any other helmets which you all can suggest which meet my requirements?

Query 2: - How is Solace Sabre mesh jacket? Any users? Also I have read in the other forum that Solace has sold Sabre jacket with some other cheaper chinese armour and not Sas tec as mentioned in their website. Did anyone face such problems?

Query 3: - Is the Viaterra grid worth the money? Somehow I feel viaterra products are expensive. Is the quality so good when compared to others that the amount is justified? I personally like the Viaterra Grid gloves but the price is making me think twice. Is there any other gloves which fit the bill?

Query 4: - I am presently in Goa and there are no stores which stock Solace gears. However they are ready to procure it on order and then I will not have any option to back off if I did not like them. I tried out Rynox jackets and they felt good and comfortable. However I have a query regarding fitting. The jacket feels extremely snug fit and tight with the internal winter liner and rain liner on. So can we bump up the size and take the next one? With out the rain and winter liner, the jacket feels good fit. I am sure the winter liner will be used very occasionally. The down side bumping up the size is that the armours tend to move around a lot which even after adjusting the straps.

I am sorry to bombard with so many queries. Thank you.

Ani
Hi Anil,

Everyone started with this process and it were their first time at some point of time!

I would try to be objective but some response might confuse you, so you can ignore them for the time being.

Response 1:
Start using ear plugs. Very basic step is using cotton in your ears then foam type earplugs. Wind noise is very subjective and it's a by product of the vents, which are good to keep certain parts of your head cooler inside the helmet. A well ventilated helmet will have some wind noise.
These helmets are good for 4 to 5 years of usage, again a lot depends on the usage pattern and the care you take. The liners show wear and the foam gets softer in due course of time. 1 year of shelf life is fine but newer is always better.
MT helmets are consistently available in India for 5+ years now many other brands have come and gone. With the supply chain interruption due to the pandemic, imported brands like HJC, Scorpion Exo have very low stock in the market. Hence can't be recommended.

Response 2:
Solace is good and has nice features. Few pages earlier someone had the same dilemma between the two, Solace & Rynox. Go for the same brand for the jacket and the pant as it couples well. Larger panels of mesh can have reverse effect of dehydration with cooling. Point is you need air flowing through the jacket at required places only. Even a mesh jacket feels hot at standstill.

Response 3:
I'll leave this to VT Grid glove owners but as per reviews it's worth the price. Eventually I use my medium gauntlet gloves more than my full gauntlet gloves and you can go for a secondary glove later with leather palm and textile/perforated leather top. Goa is hot!

Response 4:
You've answered your own question. Try to sit on your '650cc sports tourer' bike and check the jacket & pant fit and armour positions. (Till then don't remove the tags). Every online seller has a return policy, connect with them before ordering. Both the jacket and pant should be comfortably snug! As these are textile (mesh) they won't expand.

Happy shopping,
/surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 30th October 2020 at 15:01.

Most Viewed