Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2022, 05:35   #4291
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Any recommendations for a mobile mount for a Street Triple?
I've seen a lot of X Ram mounts, is that the only one worth checking out?
Old 31st October 2022, 09:39   #4292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
A friend has the viaterra pants and it is not taking abuse well. Another friend wanted it and finally decided to spring for the revit.

Street and offroad enduro hot weather riding are two different genres. I have done both and the street pant will kill you offroad with weight and inflexibility.
Update: Viaterra reached out to said friend after reading the post here and offered to sort him out.

Brands that stand behind their motorcycling gear is what we want to see and I think the fraternity will support such brands.

I do look forward to their enduro/offroad line up of jackets, pants, and luggage.
Red Liner is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 21:35   #4293
BHPian

Quote:
Update: Viaterra reached out to said friend after reading the post here and offered to sort him out.

Brands that stand behind their motorcycling gear is what we want to see and I think the fraternity will support such brands.

I do look forward to their enduro/offroad line up of jackets, pants, and luggage.
It's equally important that you followed up here on the forum. This needs to happen more often. Sincerely appreciate it!
shyamg28 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 11:47   #4294
BHPian

Quote:
I had checked out the Spencer riding pants and reached out to them with my feedback,
- The elastic material at the seat area didn't seem durable for a riding pant
- The entire crotch area is mesh, which is not required actually.

They responded,
- The stretchable material is tested on their Munro pants. I would still suggest to have it only behind the knee, the area which folds and sweats!
- Maximum mesh area for ventilation. I pointed out that if you're caught in sudden showers, getting one's base layer wet in the crotch area is not a good feeling. Mesh can start from the thighs onwards.

Hope they bring out a ver 2.0

There is a textile pant in the design stage and might take some more time to launch.

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 19:43   #4295
Distinguished - BHPian

Red Liner, thanks for sharing that positive experience with Viaterra. My Rynox pants experience has been just the opposite. After sending it back to them to fix the tear at the groin area (paid ~ Rs 800 for courier charges!), the tear has reappeared in the exact same area. Im quite disappointed with the quality of the Rynox pants. Ive asked the Royal Enfield dealer to order a pair of Tso Kar pants in my size, for me to try them out. Once I can get myself a good replacement, Ill trash these Rynox pants.

Also, due to the poor design of the Rynox pants, the button on the thigh area scratches the tanks of my motorcycles, when I swing my leg over the bike, especially when there is a tail bag at the back. Ive informed the Rynox team about it. They said that they will look into it and potentially upgrade the design of the future launches.
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 10:21   #4296
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
I had checked out the Spencer riding pants and reached out to them with my feedback,
- The elastic material at the seat area didn't seem durable for a riding pant
- The entire crotch area is mesh, which is not required actually.
surjaonwheelz
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Red Liner, thanks for sharing that positive experience with Viaterra.
I share the same feeling as @Red Liner about Viaterra. For whatever limited knowledge and usage I have of riding gears, I find Viaterra ones confidence inspiring.

I am currently using Spencer Pants, although they only have 500kms on them but the early impression are as follows:

1. The fit is really nice. They do require some break in especially that stretchable panel on the crotch. It feels really tight when you wear it for the first time. Many riders from group have praised the look of the pants.

2. I rode for ~450kms in the heat and the mesh worked like charm. the air flow is great. The only discomfort I had was because I wasn't wearing any base layer. With base layer, I doubt you will feel any.

3. The tail-bone protector also acts a comfort factor. It is like a mini foam which surprisingly do aid in riding comfort.

4. CON: There is just one con with this pant, at least for me. The pocket placement is not right, or rather cumbersome. It is on thighs diagonally placed, but if it is a fitting pant(which a riding pant should be), you will find it difficult putting your stuff in and out of it.

These were just a short impression. I am waiting be posting a complete review(here and Viaterra site as well) after attending NERM2022, where I will be using it regularly for ~3000kms/7-10 days. Also how good this mesh pant performs in chilly December cold will also be tested.

Few Anecdotes with Viaterra
1. I had ordered Himalayan Side stand shoe with few other items from their site. Unfortunately, The side stand shoe wasn't in the packet when I received it. It looked like someone did tamper with the packet, and I didn't even make a video of opening the packet. I contacted Viaterra immediately. The response was swift, I was asked to mail the picture. In few days, Viaterra send me a new packet. Not a big deal, but there wasn't any fuss involved, no blame games; the kind of response a customer needs.

2. When I was ordering the pants, they mailed me the size chart, and I selected what I felt is my size. They called though, asked me again and suggested me one size smaller, and to be honest, I was not sure if I should go by their word or my calculations. Since there was already a review on their site mentioning the same, I went with their suggestion. They were right, the pant fit perfectly. It's kind of reassuring when a brand goes extra step to suggest you the right product, and also shows how good they know their product.
NTab is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 19:18   #4297
BHPian

Got myself my first set of proper riding gear. Previously i used to wear a budget Aspida Atlas jacket from Spartan Progear. I purchased the following set to complete my riding gear aspirations.

Jacket: Tarmac Drifter Level 1 Riding Jacket
Pants: Tarmac Drift Level 1 Riding Pants
Gloves: Tarmac Rapid Riding Gloves
Boots: Orazo PICUS VWR 8inch Velcro Motorcycle Riding Boots
Helmet: Have a couple of helmets. A SOL helmet for long rides and Studds and Vega helmet for local rides.

I don't do overnight rides on bike. I prefer to go early morning for rides and come back by 10.30-11 am on weekends so that my weekend is not completely consumed and get time to do other works also. I have a Rynox short cuff gloves for local rides.
Kottayamkaran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 23:11   #4298

Hi kind experienced folks, I have scourged 200+ pages for information and am left looking for more. Spent last 3 months reviewing various gears.

Can someone chip in to suggest reasonable gear for me based on the following requirements:

I intend to tour for about a month in Jan/Feb 2023. Bangalore-Gujarat-MP-UP-UK and further i haven't planned.
Budget - I don't see myself touring in 2023 after this month ride (at least that's what I think). I may go for the armour shirt like products that's becoming popular (knox/advspec). This would be my ideal setup along with layered pants.

Given it's my only ride in '23, I want to have something that I can store for later and equally be not vested into it if the gear has become outdated.The other factor is jackets/tech keeps changing and 12 months later I will be left thirsty. I may end up traveling to US later next year and may end up with my ideal setup.
At the same time, I don't want to discount on a month of travel and safety

Here's what I have narrowed down to this list -
Helmet - LS2 Galliant or the alternative modular
Jacket - Royal Enfield Nirvik , Solace Furious touring, Viaterra Monroe custom jacket (not fully convinced)
Pants - Viaterra Munroe (they are going through an upgrade at the moment, and I like that they are the only ones with a T-bone protector), Royal Enfield Jeans
Boots - Forma/Falco/Gaerne Adv Touring /TCX Royal Enfield -> both seem out of stock everywhere (size 45,US-11.5). I intend to keep them for the long haul/until they die.
gloves- none narrowed down yet.

I prefer form over looks. Safety for me is my ankles first, knees, followed by other parts. I prefer Royal Enfield given their partnerships with international brands.
What I don't want - Rynox(chinese OEM), A*(not vfm for the selection available in india),Orazo and similar.

What I am asking from you :
* review/critique my list with alternatives
* anyone from Bangalore that knows stores that have adv boots selection.
* suggest gloves for my XL hand.

Thanks for taking time to read.

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th December 2022 at 01:48. Reason: Sentences start with a capital letter. Please also watch for typos in your posts.
bhpmooney is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 10:44   #4299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTab View Post
I share the same feeling as @Red Liner about Viaterra.
Echo the sentiment over ViaTerra.

Had ordered a magnetic tank bag back in 2018. The sales response was swift with Ajinkya(remember the name but lost the contact details) following up and suggesting to look at the Trailpack for the Himalayan, ended up buying that too. His explanation and answers to my queries were detailed and realistic. He confirmed that the bag would fit on the Himalayan but wasn't sure about the RTR so he presented the option of sending across any ad-hoc straps if needed to secure it.That sealed the deal, the ad hoc straps weren't needed.
Lifetime repairability and its conditions made sense for being not unrealistic and favourable to both sides. Having read that they actually deliver what they said reaffirms my confidence in them.
The tank bag has held out well and so did the Trailpacks(they were gifted to a friend).
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 14:15   #4300
BHPian

Quote:
What I don't want - Rynox(chinese OEM)
Any particular reason for this outright rejection? Don't get me wrong, I'm no Rynox fanboy either. I have stayed away from them because I found Solace to be much better overall - in terms of quality as well as the VFM factor. I've been using the Sabre jacket and Coolpro pants for almost an year now, and bought the Versadry waterproof gloves this monsoon. So far, no reasons to complain and I hope it stays that way.
SilverMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 14:40   #4301
BHPian

The Boots brought me here

I have read almost last 100 pages of this thread. They have pretty much a lot of information regarding boots in various price categories. But when it’s time to buy, there is always some scepticism. Once again, I call upon the veterans to shower their experience in making my path less daunting.

Requirements
(Please keep this in mind that these are my first ever riding boots)
1. These boots will mostly be used for touring. It will include all sorts of terrain and weather. Waterproof is preferred. I already have Waterproof socks from Viaterra.

2. I am eyeing for long boots, with good protection. I own Himalayan, and I plan to practice some basic off-road/adventure drills when I am not touring. So probably these long boots will help if I accidentally drop off the bike on my legs.

3. They should not make me walk like a robot. A little comfortable for at least 8-10 hours of riding.

4. Budget is between 10-20k.

My Selections

After going through this thread, I was convinced about RExTCX shoes. It was an easy choice. Under my budget(after 20% discount), waterproof, and long boot with good protection. But, it is more like an urban legend now, you hear a lot about it, but you will never find one for yourself. This made things quite difficult. Now the whole research had to start again.

One boot that caught my eye is Tarmac Adventure Pro boots, which is available for 11k. Seems like a good deal and has good reviews also. Since I was already investing ~17k for RE boots, I thought it’s better to look for some options in that price range also.
Other options I am eyeing on are:
Falco Oxegen 3; Falco Level

If given the option, I would always like save some money if the opportunity cost is not life threatening.

Playground for Boots

I have two upcoming rides, both ~3k kms.
The first one is NERM22(North-East Riders Meet) happening at Nagaland in Dec.
The second one is BOBMC23, happening at Meghalaya in Jan. I am sure the boots will experience some rain, and a lot of off-roading.

tl:dr - Need an adventure boot with good protection. Budget 10k-20k.
NTab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 15:05   #4302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Boots brought me here

0k.
Falco level boots will be uncomfortable and heavy. You will forget how to shift.

The oxygen version is much more Road touring.

The avantour 2 with a hinge is probably your best option.

Avoid the cheap forma.

The cheaper gaerne is also way too weak. Very floppy.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 16:44   #4303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpmooney View Post
Given it's my only ride in '23, I want to have something that I can store for later and equally be not vested into it if the gear has become outdated.The other factor is jackets/tech keeps changing and 12 months later I will be left thirsty. I may end up traveling to US later next year and may end up with my ideal setup.
At the same time, I don't want to discount on a month of travel and safety
bhpmooney, the problem with options like armoured layers, is that it isnt easy / possible to try and buy in India. AdvSpec doesnt follow the retail model IIRC. Since it appears that your finances can accommodate your shortlisted gear, I would suggest that you get the best gear that you can for your trip, rather than planning to stagger your purchases out.

In terms of your list
- Helmet : Im not the biggest fan of modular helmets since I find that riders tend to travel with the lower half flipped up, which defeats the purpose of having a full face design. If you have to have a modular helmet, then the LS2 option is probably the best one in the market right now.
- Jacket : The Nirvik is likely the best touring jacket that is sold in India, at a sub Rs 20K budget.
- Pants : Those are the top 2 choices. Look at the Macna and Korda riding pants, as well the Macna riding jeans.
- Boots : RE TCX boots are out of stock pan India. The Falco Oxegen 3 is a solid option.
- Gloves : Look at Royal Enfield's gloves. There are some really good leather gloves at around Rs 4K. If your budget allows it, look at Revit's gloves.

Quote:
One boot that caught my eye is Tarmac Adventure Pro boots, which is available for 11k. Seems like a good deal and has good reviews also. Since I was already investing ~17k for RE boots, I thought it’s better to look for some options in that price range also.
Other options I am eyeing on are:
Falco Oxegen 3; Falco Level
Agree with Red Liner's recommendations. Choose between sports touring and offroading, and get a good pair for your requirements.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 17:53   #4304

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
- Helmet : Im not the biggest fan of modular helmets since I find that riders tend to travel with the lower half flipped up, which defeats the purpose of having a full face design. If you have to have a modular helmet, then the LS2 option is probably the best one in the market right now.
- Jacket : The Nirvik is likely the best touring jacket that is sold in India, at a sub Rs 20K budget.
- Pants : Those are the top 2 choices. Look at the Macna and Korda riding pants, as well the Macna riding jeans.
- Boots : RE TCX boots are out of stock pan India. The Falco Oxegen 3 is a solid option.
- Gloves : Look at Royal Enfield's gloves. There are some really good leather gloves at around Rs 4K. If your budget allows it, look at Revit's gloves.
Thanks for validating neil, had a look at Macna collection at powersports, seems good selection even in gloves.
Korda jeans - my build is similar to the one someone posted earlier. Given my thunder thighs, I need the crotch stretch will add to my try list.
Have you come across anyone with LS2 jackets? The India selection seems suited to the weather although the CE rated armors are not the popular d30/knox. Otherwise, it seems like a decent all weather jacket.

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th December 2022 at 01:48. Reason: Sentences start with a capital letter. Please also watch for typos in your posts.
bhpmooney is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 19:54   #4305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Hi all,
I am looking to get pair of riding jeans, tried out the solace one that retails for around 6.5k. The solace one has level 2 armours for knee and hips and also has top area Kevlar lined. Another option I found was a pair of jeans from royal Enfield called Carapace. They appear to be the same but are corduroy and have no Kevlar. They are also cheaper and hence I am confused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebengalee View Post
The RE Carapace caught my eye as well. Pricing seems to be decent but there is absolutely no technical information about the pants on the website. I reached out to a contact at a RE showroom in Bangalore and am waiting to hear back.

Cordura itself is just a brand name and says nothing about the durability (or lack thereof) of a piece of fabric. Without a denier rating, Cordura means nothing.
Apart from these two I also considered the Bikeratti Steam Pro https://www.bikeratti.com/info/riding-denim-steam-pro.

I was not able to try the RE one as the showroom near my place did not have it and the lack of information about the abrasion resistance did not make me enthusiastic enough to go and try it out at the other showroom.

So I tried the solace and the bikeratti one. Finally went ahead with the solace as the placement of the armor was perfect with it being CE level 2 certified and having some kevlar lining.

The Powertector armor feels as soft as the D3O one in my jacket.

I will update the performance of the jeans as well as the softness comparison of the Powertector with D3O using a durometer.
advstreak is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks