Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2012, 15:39   #916
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Guys, as mentioned - I am looking for rain pants ahead of the monsoons and saw this on PlayGroundOnline - Buy Btwin - RAIN TROUSERS Online | PlayGroundOnline

What do you guys think? Not sure of the quality but price seems ok - if it can do the job, that is!
Went ahead and placed an order for these a few days back and received it today. Construction looks good and it nice and large since it is an overpant. One drawback that I noticed was that it does not have any pockets. It should have had one at least.

But the best part about the pants is that it has a flap at the bottom of the legs that you can put over your shoes when riding. They have not mentioned this feature on the site!. Was pleasantly surprised to have this on the pants. It surely will be a great help in protecting the water spray from the front tyre from entering the shoes!

I haven't tested it in rain yet and hope I never have to - but overall, a good buy. Will keep you guys posted if I do get caught in rain.
Old 19th June 2012, 10:52   #917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't tested it in rain yet and hope I never have to - but overall, a good buy. Will keep you guys posted if I do get caught in rain.
Looks good but only one size is available (Large) on the website. Does it fit you well around the waist? What size is your waist if you don't mind me asking? I guess this will be a little bigger since it will be worn over the trousers.

Looking forward to your comments post the rain test. In the interim, stand under the shower if you must know how it fares. Should give you a decent idea of its water repelling capabilities.
Old 19th June 2012, 11:58   #918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Looks good but only one size is available (Large) on the website. Does it fit you well around the waist? What size is your waist if you don't mind me asking? I guess this will be a little bigger since it will be worn over the trousers.

Looking forward to your comments post the rain test. In the interim, stand under the shower if you must know how it fares. Should give you a decent idea of its water repelling capabilities.
There were other sizes available on that site until a few days back. Its still available at this site but costlier - www.OutdoorTravelGear.com - Motor Biking, Camping, Hiking, Urban Cycling, Climbing, Water Sports, Lifestyle

I wear a size 36 pants and bought XL for these rain-pants. They fit well over my jeans. Oh to the shower idea!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 19:37   #919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
I am on the lookout for helmet to helmet communication devices (works on bluetooth I assume). Can anyone point me to where I can get one from in India?
Picked up the Sena SMH5 dual pack while I was in the US. Installed in both our helmets but not yet tested on the road.

Link: Sena SMH5 Bluetooth Headset Dual Pack - RevZilla
Old 24th June 2012, 12:24   #920
BHPian

Picked up a pair of DMS boots from a military surplus store yesterday. These are surprisingly comfortable, with a lot of padding around the ankle area and the collar. And they cost just 600 bucks!!! And water-resistant for the most part, since they're made of rexine and not leather. Only drawback is that the tongue is not integral with the rest of the upper, so it lets water through if dunked. Not a problem if properly laced up. And they're available for just 600 bucks!!!

Here's a pic for reference (image source TradeMart - Indian Exporters Manufacturers,Importers Suppliers Directory,Buyers,Service Providers,B2B Portal,India)

Cheers,
Rahul
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-dms01.jpg  

voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 09:50   #921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Not a problem if properly laced up.
Nice looking boots. They seem to be built well and look very rugged. 600 bucks is definitely a good price.

Since you intend to ride with these boots, please ensure that you tuck the laces inside the boots so they don't get entangled in the gear/brake levers or foot-pegs. This is very common and i have seen a couple of nasty falls due to this. Best to wear proper riding boots which have zippers and Velcro straps instead of laces.
Old 25th June 2012, 10:03   #922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
please ensure that you tuck the laces inside the boots so they don't get entangled in the gear/brake levers or foot-pegs.
This has happened to me too in the past! No falls or anything, but quite unnerving nonetheless!

After posting previously, I realised that the boots I've got are quite a bit more padded and comfortable than the ones in the pic. When fully laced up the laces are too short and nowhere near the levers to interfere with anything.

Incidentally, the bootlaces seem to be the only weak point with these boots. They're made of some flimsy woven cotton. Certainly not as tough as the boot itself. After 2 days they're already fraying! Need me some leather strings.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 25th June 2012, 11:49   #923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh to the shower idea!
But did the "rain" test in the shower. Pants work great - not a drop of water seeped in.

Quote:
Picked up a pair of DMS boots from a military surplus store yesterday. These are surprisingly comfortable, with a lot of padding around the ankle area and the collar. And they cost just 600 bucks!!!
Awesome pair of boots. I have a pair of CAT boots that look like this. And have saved me in my accident by protecting my toes. And awesome price too. Get better laces though.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 11:55   #924
BHPian

Quote:
Awesome pair of boots. I have a pair of CAT boots that look like this. And have saved me in my accident by protecting my toes. And awesome price too. Get better laces though.
Thanks! How do the CATs hold up in the rain? I've got a pair of steel-toe Camel Adventure boots (more for hiking etc) which arent too friendly with water. They're too damn heavy too, and the steel toe barely fits under the gear lever Got them pretty cheap from Darjeeling though

Laces are the first order of business, but no clue where I can find leather ones. The surplus store was quite hopeless with laces. Need a homemade solution I guess.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 25th June 2012, 12:46   #925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Picked up a pair of DMS boots from a military surplus store yesterday. These are surprisingly comfortable, with a lot of padding around the ankle area and the collar. And they cost just 600 bucks!!! And water-resistant for the most part, since they're made of rexine and not leather. Only drawback is that the tongue is not integral with the rest of the upper, so it lets water through if dunked. Not a problem if properly laced up. And they're available for just 600 bucks!!!

Here's a pic for reference (image source TradeMart - Indian Exporters Manufacturers,Importers Suppliers Directory,Buyers,Service Providers,B2B Portal,India)

Cheers,
Rahul
Nice boots Rahul but they are not the real Army isue DMS (double moulded soles). They are local designer versions of the real thing.

These are the real thing :

The Riding Gear thread-200952615828900.jpg

They are full grain buffalo leather (easily 2-3 mm thick), the soles are indestructible and resistant to a wide variety of chemicals, fire, electricity, skidding, oil, and puncture penetration, plus they never come off the leather upper for the life of the boots (I have been using mine since 2004 now and the sole is worn down but still not holed through - the leather upper is also intact though begining to fray at the toe stitch), has a one piece moulded leather tongue that is stitched full length to the side of the boot lace area making the entire boot a leathe full ankle length sock, and has hard leather reinforced heel and toe protetion caps (not steel - those are the cheaper and cruder and way less comfortable ammo boots one gets in the NCC).

These are/were best when made by FLEX, but those are no longer available. These usually come in black, but if you are lucky (and very patient and persistent) you can also get dark tan ones (that are isued to the BSF). Around 500 bucks at Makatee Army Surplus store off MG Road in Pune.

Last edited by ebonho : 25th June 2012 at 12:48.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 13:55   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Nice boots Rahul but they are not the real Army isue DMS (double moulded soles). They are local designer versions of the real thing.

These are the real thing :
Bit of confusion here I guess. The ones in your pic are called the Ammunition Boot. The ones I've got are the DMS (Directly Moulded Sole). The periods that these were introduced are different. Ammo boots are the older ones. The DMS is also used in the forces, special duties I think (will obtain clarifications on this). There are even Wiki pages on these two boots haha!

I too had a pair of ammo boots, worn every single day for about 2 years. Unfortunately, I had to let them go after my Pune-BLR ride, since the sold which was already worn completely by then, decided to crack on impact with a stone somewhere near Karwar. Wooden insole was intact, but the toecap was almost like papier-mache at the end of the ride
Also, the ankle support given by the DMS boots is far superior due to its height and padding. The Ammo boot is very minimalistic, spartan even, in comparison. The one-piece tongue is one luxury it affords though.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 25th June 2012, 14:02   #927
BHPian

@ ebonho : I also ride around with the boots you mentioned and yes they are sturdy. We have a military station here in Trivandrum and now a days we are seeing military people riding around in boots shown by voodoochild with their camouflaged trousers tucked into the boots. Earlier they used anklets and the boots that you have shown. Don't know if it is an upgrade. I am thinking of buying one as it more tall than the conventional military boots and covers the Achilles tendon more.
@ voodoochild : ammunition boots have wooden soles with integrated tongue and with metal reinforcements riveted onto the toes and heel area. It has the acoustic effect of a tank coming around the corner when you walk with them on. The boots with rubber soles are known as dms and that makes ebonho right.
Regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 25th June 2012 at 14:07.
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 15:06   #928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! How do the CATs hold up in the rain? I've got a pair of steel-toe Camel Adventure boots (more for hiking etc) which arent too friendly with water. They're too damn heavy too, and the steel toe barely fits under the gear lever Got them pretty cheap from Darjeeling though

Laces are the first order of business, but no clue where I can find leather ones. The surplus store was quite hopeless with laces. Need a homemade solution I guess.

Cheers,
Rahul
To be honest, I have worn the CATs only in moderate rain. They held up pretty well. But I remember a friend from RTMC who rode it on a trip to Wayanad and it was constantly raining - his boots were soaked. The CAT is fine though for toe-shifting. Don't have any problems.

Not a big fan of leather laces. And haven't seen ones that will be long enough for these boots.
Old 25th June 2012, 15:20   #929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
@ ebonho : I also ride around with the boots you mentioned and yes they are sturdy. We have a military station here in Trivandrum and now a days we are seeing military people riding around in boots shown by voodoochild with their camouflaged trousers tucked into the boots. Earlier they used anklets and the boots that you have shown. Don't know if it is an upgrade. I am thinking of buying one as it more tall than the conventional military boots and covers the Achilles tendon more.
@ voodoochild : ammunition boots have wooden soles with integrated tongue and with metal reinforcements riveted onto the toes and heel area. It has the acoustic effect of a tank coming around the corner when you walk with them on. The boots with rubber soles are known as dms and that makes ebonho right.
Regards adrian
Yes you are right. Many faujis wear these after market non-issue ones for day to day use beause they are softer, with more padding, and are more comfortable out of the box.

Proper fauji issue DMS's need a long and protracted run-in to break them in to the feet of the wearer. That break-in is pretty painful and one should have a ready supplu of band-aids on hand till they are fully broken in (mainly the achilles tendon and instep areas).

But once broken in, nothing but NOTHING comes close to a DMS. Indestructible. Fits like a sock. And supreme confidnce in taking on anything without the feet feeling it. Good weapons in a fight too. Mine are so comfortable and soft now, that I can wear them even without socks.

Keep them soaked undr cakes of Cherry Blossom, and they will last for a minimum of 5 years without issue. Mine are now in their 9th year, and I have another younger pair into its 3rd year. In comparison, it is brand new and not as comfortable!
Old 25th June 2012, 15:23   #930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bit of confusion here I guess. The ones in your pic are called the Ammunition Boot. The ones I've got are the DMS (Directly Moulded Sole). The periods that these were introduced are different. Ammo boots are the older ones. The DMS is also used in the forces, special duties I think (will obtain clarifications on this). There are even Wiki pages on these two boots haha!

I too had a pair of ammo boots, worn every single day for about 2 years. Unfortunately, I had to let them go after my Pune-BLR ride, since the sold which was already worn completely by then, decided to crack on impact with a stone somewhere near Karwar. Wooden insole was intact, but the toecap was almost like papier-mache at the end of the ride
Also, the ankle support given by the DMS boots is far superior due to its height and padding. The Ammo boot is very minimalistic, spartan even, in comparison. The one-piece tongue is one luxury it affords though.

Cheers,
Rahul

Bro there is no confusion. Ammo boots are different. They are hard soles with no tread. And steel toes. Worn by artillery guys to protect their toes from shell casings carelessly dropped. Hence ammo boots. The DMS are different. They are infantry boots. The ones I have shown. And no, there is no new design. They have been the same for decades now.

Most Viewed