Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2013, 11:00   #1381
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Well i am currently using these while i ride to the office. They are very comfortable and i guess would also offer a fair amonut of protection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
For my daily commute, home -> office -> home, I just purchased these 4 days back. Covers a reasonable area above the ankle.
Sorry to say, but both these boots, the Lee Cooper and the BMW's will not protect you in case of a fall or crash.

Please buy riding boots which have been tested extensively instead of using regular boots for riding. They may look good but will not do much to prevent injuries.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 11:05   #1382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Please buy riding boots which have been tested extensively instead of using regular boots for riding.
Completely agree to this.
I tried the Rjays Sprint before buying these, but did not like them. (Felt a little heavy for daily use).
I am looking forward to try the RJays Urban Boot, since they are water-proof, riding in the monsoon will not be an issue either. Did not want to shell ~7K on shoes right now.

Anyone on the forum tried these Urban boots?

Last edited by parrys : 6th December 2013 at 11:06.
Old 6th December 2013, 16:15   #1383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Sorry to say, but both these boots, the Lee Cooper and the BMW's will not protect you in case of a fall or crash.
Agree to what you say Bro, but won’t this Lee cooper or the army combat boots be better than regular executive shoes in case of a crash?

I am looking for a shoe which can be worn with formal attire (Dark pants, light shirts and tie) and can also give good protection in case of a fall.

I already have a pair of Army combat boots (picked up from shivaji nagar few years back) but sadly, they have gone bad because of age and improper storage.

I am not sure this Lee cooper or the Orazo Coot (http://www.orazosafety.com/products.html) will look respectable with my dress (currently I use a pair of Clarks, which offer next to no protection) so I am still on look for a shoe which can look half respectable with a formal attire but will give me some protection during a crash.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 6th December 2013 at 16:17.
Old 6th December 2013, 16:21   #1384
Senior - BHPian

Anoop I am not sure bro, but combat DMS on formal trousers with shirt and tie would not look "normal." Better then to get one of those riding boots the Harley guys wear. They look like normal boots, but internally have torsional ankle and arch and shin support, as well as steel toes. A lot like the normal looking riding jeans that are actually kevlar reinforced. Pricey though.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 16:46   #1385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Anoop I am not sure bro, but combat DMS on formal trousers with shirt and tie would not look "normal." ..... Pricey though.
You are spot on about the DMS, Doc - I did realise that after I dug them out of storage. That is why I am still on the look out :(

Harley was the first brand I looked, but they also do go well with formal attire. The only option I see is to keep a pair of formal she at work and wear a proper riding boot from home to office.

Please do let me know if there is any alternative.

--Anoop
Old 6th December 2013, 16:48   #1386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
so I am still on look for a shoe which can look half respectable with a formal attire but will give me some protection during a crash.

--Anoop
Anoop - So am I - Do let me know if you zero in on anything.

Quote:
Better then to get one of those riding boots the Harley guys wear. They look like normal boots, but internally have torsional ankle and arch and shin support, as well as steel toes. A lot like the normal looking riding jeans that are actually kevlar reinforced. Pricey though.
Doc - Are you talking about the one's that are available at the Harley Outlets? They, am sure, costs a bomb!!
Old 6th December 2013, 16:57   #1387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would not recommend the the RJays boots since the build quality and armor quality is below my expectations.

When i was looking around for good quality boots, the armor in the RJays came across as flimsy. Their full length highway boots did not instill any confidence. I could hear and feel the shin armor cracking when the armor was pressed.

I bought full length boots from Sidi instead. Cost me twice the moolah but never regretted my purchase. Looks good, feels good, loads of safety features and also, used in the real world racing scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Agree to what you say Bro, but won’t this Lee cooper or the army combat boots be better than regular executive shoes in case of a crash?
Well, to be honest, it's like asking if one broken toe is better than two. No offense meant

These army boots may protect your feet but consider that the ankle may also snap into two in an unlucky crash. Buy and wear a good pair of boots and change into formal shoes in the office. Keep the formal shoes in your drawer.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 17:35   #1388
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Aditya. Unless your job involves site visits and traveling to multiple locations, if your job is a fixed desk job, simply keep a set of formal shoes at work, and change into them when you reach the office.

Otherwise, the next best option, admittedly by some margin due to the reason Aditya pointed out, is buy any shoe with good thick leather and good toe protection and ankle support. Full length laces are always better that buckles. I have seen Red Tape having some really neat and sturdy looking designs off late. Of course, Wodlands and Lee Cooper are always there too.

I would look at the compromise this way (as I often still do when riding with my DMS and not my riding pants) - if you go down, your leg is anyways at risk. Especially the knes and hips and shins. And statistically based on my extensive (!) fall experience, more than the feet. So either you go ATGATT, or you err on the side of caution combined with practicality.

That said, the one time my feet were hurt, I was in a walking cast for 3 weeks and that's how I went to office (its an art clutching a car with a cast on your left foot ). So in retrospect buddy, if riding, my vote goes to proper riding boots, with formal shoes in office!

Hope this helps. (I know you've thought it out already along similar lines - so its just vindication and confirmation, thazall)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Doc - Are you talking about the one's that are available at the Harley Outlets? They, am sure, costs a bomb!!
Ya Harley boots, but online and in a couple of stores (from what I know) in Mumbai. Not the official Indian Harley Outlets. Not after I found out a crash bar costs 18,000 bucks. No sir!

Last edited by ebonho : 6th December 2013 at 17:37.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 18:24   #1389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Well i am currently using these while i ride to the office. They are very comfortable and i guess would also offer a fair amonut of protection. I got these ones from a Lee Cooper showroom for 2.7k. Do check these out. They are worth it !
Yes, better than wearing sneakers to ride to office for sure. I have Lee Coopers with some measure of ankle protection and also steel toes. These ones ^ must have too?
Old 6th December 2013, 18:34   #1390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with Aditya. Unless your job involves site visits and traveling to multiple locations, if your job is a fixed desk job,
Doc,
One of my team member who rides to work uses these Excavator from JCB. Find them pretty cool and goes well with the jeans. They look mean but do not provide ankle protection. But in Bangalore traffic you hardly go beyond 50 to 60 so I can factor in the risk.

http://www.jcbfootwear.in/excavator-detail.html
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 18:59   #1391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Doc,
One of my team member who rides to work uses these Excavator from JCB. Find them pretty cool and goes well with the jeans. They look mean but do not provide ankle protection. But in Bangalore traffic you hardly go beyond 50 to 60 so I can factor in the risk.

http://www.jcbfootwear.in/excavator-detail.html
The problem with these as well as some of the more aggressive Lee Coopers and Woodlands is the knobby sole. Which immediately takes away from the formal look and simply cannot be worn with trousers (I envy guys who can wear jeans to office - that part of my life is some way back now).

That is why I like the Red Tape boots. Nice square toes and smooth soles. Can pass off as formal shoes. Or the Harley boots as well.

I wonder if these come in black ..... I really like them. More sophisticated/urbanized versions of my tan DMS's. Only 3500/-.

The Riding Gear thread-redtapemenleatherboots_173f8fdae11acea869bf0ab5bea9cef7_images_1080_1440_mini.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-product634877923313576994.jpg

Last edited by ebonho : 6th December 2013 at 19:11.
Old 6th December 2013, 21:27   #1392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Some pix for Duke people. How's THH brand for Helmets? Saw them at
THH is a Taiwanese company retailing in India in the name of TIH. The helmets, to being with are on part with Cross and LS2 entry level helmets. I've had an opportunity to check them in person. And I have also seen Vemar helmets MII ones, pretty rock solid and very impressive build quality and livery. Plus Vemar is an Italian brand to reckon with.

Quote:
So my question is what are the best options for all-weather waterproof (or resistant) non-leather gloves out there currently? Looking at all-rounders which can be used in the city as well as for touring, with decent knuckle and palm protection. Obviously leather has a huge advantage in abrasion resistance, but that's something I will be willing to compromise on in the interest of a single glove that can be effectively worn all year long.

Please help guys, and send me likely choices. Links would be great too!
Real 100% waterproof gloves pretty much are non-existent in India as far as I know and will definitely cost a bomb. Pretty close all you can get is a nylon pull glove over but that being said, almost all gloves are water resistant to an extent, not 100% water proof. You can try the textile series DSG Acqua Cramster Tundra, RJays Tempest gloves which are avail in India. Both the third's avlblty is in question, but both Acqua and Tundra are good gloves, but not excellent in anyway to commend, do their job pretty well. Dunk in for a minute you'll get drenched anyway.

But almost always most leather do resist water to an extent, when it seeps, it indicates you should pull over and take shelter immediately.

Quote:
Completely agree to this.
I tried the Rjays Sprint before buying these, but did not like them. (Felt a little heavy for daily use).
I am looking forward to try the RJays Urban Boot, since they are water-proof, riding in the monsoon will not be an issue either. Did not want to shell ~7K on shoes right now.

One of my friend used the Sprint and Urban boot and the latter for almost 2k KMS and he's almost a positive note with the boot. Since it being leather, proper care is required which according to him is shabby due to wrinkles and crinkles on the leather, apart from that the boot is a very good boot.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 11:18   #1393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Real 100% waterproof gloves pretty much are non-existent in India as far as I know and will definitely cost a bomb. Pretty close all you can get is a nylon pull glove over but that being said, almost all gloves are water resistant to an extent, not 100% water proof. You can try the textile series DSG Acqua Cramster Tundra, RJays Tempest gloves which are avail in India. Both the third's avlblty is in question, but both Acqua and Tundra are good gloves, but not excellent in anyway to commend, do their job pretty well. Dunk in for a minute you'll get drenched anyway.
Thanks for these great suggestions Vijay. I too had narrowed down to Cramster Tundra and DSG Aqua (though I was given to understand and read elsewhere that DSG had discontinued the Aqua?). Of these two which would you pick personally? I will check out the RJay's Tempest as well. I know their jackets are really good, and score higher than Cramster and DSG from what I have seen of a couple of close friends who swear by the Octane (they imported these/got these from SE, before they started being sold in India officially).

Quote:
But almost always most leather do resist water to an extent, when it seeps, it indicates you should pull over and take shelter immediately.
Agreed. But what happens after that is that the leather takes ages to dry, compared to textile which even if they let the water through, will dry much more quickly once you squeeze/wring the water out. So on a multi day ride, the next morning you have the luxury of slipping into almost dry gloves versus very damp/still squishy gloves.

Also, if you try to squeeze into wet leather, it will and does sometimes give way and tear. As also gives way at the seams. And eventually leather just gets badly spoiled in the wet. All this would not happen with synthtic/fabric based gloves.

I will still get a new wrist length pair of good leather gloves for city riding and dry riding. But the all-season gloves are a necessity for me based on my experience.
Old 7th December 2013, 22:47   #1394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for these great suggestions Vijay. I too had narrowed down to Cramster Tundra and DSG Aqua (though I was given to understand and read elsewhere that DSG had discontinued the Aqua?). Of these two which would you pick personally? I will check out the RJay's Tempest as well. I know their jackets are really good, and score higher than Cramster and DSG from what I have seen of a couple of close friends who swear by the Octane (they imported these/got these from SE, before they started being sold in India officially).
True. I myself owned the Octane for a year and a half before I need to sell it. Bugger always turned eyes wherever it went, still a very good jacket.

Personally I'd stick with the Cramster Tundra, and most water resistant/repellant glove are lined with HIPORA an excellent breathability liner coupled with Thinsulate a thermal later to keep the hands warm, all indispensable when it comes to rainy day and cold weather riding.

Yes ACQUA was being refreshed when I contacted DSG folks when it was not available in their website, but perhaps they might have discontinued it at their will.

Quote:
Agreed. But what happens after that is that the leather takes ages to dry, compared to textile which even if they let the water through, will dry much more quickly once you squeeze/wring the water out. So on a multi day ride, the next morning you have the luxury of slipping into almost dry gloves versus very damp/still squishy gloves.

Also, if you try to squeeze into wet leather, it will and does sometimes give way and tear. As also gives way at the seams. And eventually leather just gets badly spoiled in the wet. All this would not happen with synthtic/fabric based gloves.

I will still get a new wrist length pair of good leather gloves for city riding and dry riding. But the all-season gloves are a necessity for me based on my experience.
You're spot on. I had a friend of mine who was recently at Ooty wearing a short cuff leather glove, while it was almost downpour fortnight. I remember the palm of his glove (left and right, but more prominent in the right) giving away at the seams due to the leather drenched every single mm of the glove.

As I suggested before, it's a great idea to pull over when you start to sense the weather isn't getting any better. A leather glove can hold and take you home safely with light to moderate drizzle. But anything more, the gloves are going in for a toss.

And also when you dry leather stuffs, always shade and air dry, never use air dryer or direct sunlight, fissures and cracks might develop. And as you've rightly pointed, it takes quite a while to dry up.

Hope I was of some help.

Ride safe!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2013, 08:26   #1395
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Please suggest me an all-weather riding jacket and a good pair of riding gloves. I have seen the Cramster, Spartan ProGear, RJays, DSG websites, but I am all the more confused. My budget is upto 7K for the jacket and upto 3K for the gloves. I can spend upto 10K both combined.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed