Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2013, 11:37   #1396
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Please suggest me an all-weather riding jacket and a good pair of riding gloves. I have seen the Cramster, Spartan ProGear, RJays, DSG websites, but I am all the more confused. My budget is upto 7K for the jacket and upto 3K for the gloves. I can spend upto 10K both combined.

Thanks in advance.
I'd suggest a mesh jacket from Spartan and short cuff or full gauntlet gloves from either RJays or Spartan. I use the Spartan Phaeton gloves and find them very comfortable. The quality, fit and finish in Spartan is very good.

Haven't had any good experiences with Cramster so would recommend against this brand. DSG has been good too but off late been hearing negative comments so can't really say much.
Old 9th December 2013, 13:12   #1397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Personally I'd stick with the Cramster Tundra, and most water resistant/repellant glove are lined with HIPORA an excellent breathability liner coupled with Thinsulate a thermal later to keep the hands warm, all indispensable when it comes to rainy day and cold weather riding.

Yes ACQUA was being refreshed when I contacted DSG folks when it was not available in their website, but perhaps they might have discontinued it at their will.
DSG has discontinued the Aqua, and that has been replaced by what they now call the Hybrid. Cost is around 3000 bucks.

The Riding Gear thread-20131207_114142.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20131207_114148.jpg

Need to try this as well as the Tundra from Cramsters on before taking a call. Problem for me is that the 2 Cramsters dealers in Pune are a long way away from me - one in Kothrud somewhere and the other of Pune Satara road.

NOTE: While Hippora and Thinsulate liners are great to have, my experience with my Dainese WP gloves is that when wet, you have to be careful while taking the gloves off. You need to carefully hold the tip of each finger and pull in small increments on each finger before the entire glove comes off properly. If not, you will land up pulling the inner lining out from the outer and then pushing it back into place can be a real pain - because even though you push the outer most inner layer (the one directly in contact with your hand) properly inside, the ones sandwiched in between do not go in roperly and then bunch up betwwen the outer and inner layers. I actually had to open up the stitching of the gloves at the wrist, to get at that sandwiche layer and shove it back inside each finger of the glove, before stitching all layers back at the wrist end.

Last edited by ebonho : 9th December 2013 at 13:27.
Old 9th December 2013, 13:36   #1398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Doc,
One of my team member who rides to work uses these Excavator from JCB. Find them pretty cool and goes well with the jeans. They look mean but do not provide ankle protection. But in Bangalore traffic you hardly go beyond 50 to 60 so I can factor in the risk.

http://www.jcbfootwear.in/excavator-detail.html
Thank you Bro - if we discount the ankle protection, this one looks good (Tough and excecutive looking)
http://www.jcbfootwear.in/exac-detail.html

Even this looks passably executive - http://www.jcbfootwear.in/heatmax-detail.html

I am really tempted to buy one of these now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I agree with Aditya. Unless your job involves site visits and traveling to multiple locations, if your job is a fixed desk job, simply keep a set of formal shoes at work, and change into them when you reach the office.
If nothing works out, this is the route I am planning to take
Only hassle is, I have to keep all the shoe care materials also in my desk.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 9th December 2013 at 13:38.
Old 9th December 2013, 13:42   #1399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
If nothing works out, this is the route I am planning to take
Only hassle is, I have to keep all the shoe care materials also in my desk.

--Anoop
You can just keep a shoe mitt in your desk. For polishing and stuff, you can place your office shoes in a shoe bag and carry them home (and back) once a week in your havesack.

Easiest would just be to buy a decent sturdy pair of leather ankle length boot with ful length laces, and use them as your office shoes. The gear lever should not leave a mark if you have a heel-toe shift, and even that can be minimized with good regular polishing.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 14:34   #1400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can just keep a shoe mitt in your desk. For polishing and stuff,
have a heel-toe shift, and even that can be minimized with good regular polishing
Ah - Only if I can wear boots along with pants :| My job requires me to wear executive attire with tie and most boots look odd with tie.
Doc, strangely it is not the gear marks which ruins my shoes, but it is the buff marks where my ankle touches the bike which ruins my shoes.
The Riding Gear thread-formal.jpg

The more I think about it, what you say do really make sense. Time to buy that shoe mitt and shoe bag to carry my shoes to home once in a week
--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 17:01   #1401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Please suggest me an all-weather riding jacket and a good pair of riding gloves. I have seen the Cramster, Spartan ProGear, RJays, DSG websites, but I am all the more confused. My budget is upto 7K for the jacket and upto 3K for the gloves. I can spend upto 10K both combined.

Thanks in advance.
For all weather you can try Cramster Breezer, Eclipse (leather jacket) even though RJays and Spartan are very good products, when it comes to VFM Cramster really has a sweet spot. Their Breezer comes with different liners for different climatic conditions and their Eclipse, boy I was always a fan of this jacket, excellent stuff.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have Spartan Odysseus, at 6k and Rjays all season at 9k, the latter is which I have been owning for close to 3.5 years, going strong to this day. But I'd suggest you stay away from DSG stuffs, it's not that they aren't any good, but their quality to price proposition is on for a toss these days, just my personal take of using their products.

Quote:
DSG has discontinued the Aqua, and that has been replaced by what they now call the Hybrid. Cost is around 3000 bucks.
Indeed great to see them having a new range. But 3k is a tad costlier if you ask me, and when inquired upon they indicated they were onto something, and they were tight lipped on nothing more than, you can expect a new product. And it's strange to see it not being listed on their website.

Quote:
NOTE: While Hippora and Thinsulate liners are great to have, my experience with my Dainese WP gloves is that when wet, you have to be careful while taking the gloves off. You need to carefully hold the tip of each finger and pull in small increments on each finger before the entire glove comes off properly. If not, you will land up pulling the inner lining out from the outer and then pushing it back into place can be a real pain - because even though you push the outer most inner layer (the one directly in contact with your hand) properly inside, the ones sandwiched in between do not go in roperly and then bunch up betwwen the outer and inner layers. I actually had to open up the stitching of the gloves at the wrist, to get at that sandwiche layer and shove it back inside each finger of the glove, before stitching all layers back at the wrist end.
You're absolutely spot on, it's the case with most gloves out there, not just Dainese. When stuffs are mass produced, be it Dainese, A* or Rjays or anything, QC is always subject of moot point.

But you're right, liners are a very delicate part. And they are so thin, even a stuck ring can pull the internal fleece liners completely. Happened to me numerous times, with my cycling gloves and motorcycling gloves.

The worst part is inserting the fingers into the slots, if the liner is off place, it's a huge hindrance in putting the gloves and it gets stuck at the finger slot, absolute pain in the posterior, second your point completely. For this I can proudly say, Been there, Done that.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 9th December 2013 at 17:05.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 17:13   #1402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Indeed great to see them having a new range. But 3k is a tad costlier if you ask me, and when inquired upon they indicated they were onto something, and they were tight lipped on nothing more than, you can expect a new product.
I agree. Its expensive when compared to Cramster's offering (Tundra) which comes in at 1950/-.They were at pain to stress the carbon fiber knuckles. Don't think they are that great a deal at all, when you consider the Tundra too has enbedded knuckle armor. Let's see how they actually look and feel in person.
Old 10th December 2013, 08:02   #1403
Senior - BHPian

Got the agv willow gloves yesterday. The quality of leather is good and the lining feels snug.
First impression is good, now need to see how the gloves will fare long term.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131211_080132.png
Views: 1837
Size:  808.6 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131211_080140.png
Views: 1889
Size:  672.4 KB
--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 10:42   #1404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Got the agv willow gloves yesterday. The quality of leather is good and the lining feels snug.
First impression is good, now need to see how the gloves will fare long term.
They look good. How much did you pay for them?

One issue I can observe from the photos is that the stitch seams on the fingers are on the inside. Sometimes that can be a real pain (literally) as it causes pressure tenderness over long rides.

Last edited by ebonho : 10th December 2013 at 10:44.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 18:26   #1405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

One issue I can observe from the photos is that the stitch seams on the fingers are on the inside. Sometimes that can be a real pain (literally) as it causes pressure tenderness over long rides.
Doc - isn't that how it usually comes? Stitch seam on the sides? Now the pain thing would be caused depending on how much of leather or fabric is on the border inside.

@Anoop - Good stuff!!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 19:05   #1406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

+1 the seam issue. I had the Rynox gloves. The seam came in between of my hand & the lever. The pain after even short rides was unbearable. Had to get the gloves replaced.

So do go for seam outside.
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 20:23   #1407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Doc,
I got a very good Black Friday deal - got them for 40$ (saved around 39$, just because my friend could not order the gloves on previous day )

I totally agree with you - my old gloves had stitch seams on the outside and I would say any day outside seams are more comfortable. Luckily, the seams do not rub much with fingers now, hope it will stay the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Doc - isn't that how it usually comes? Stitch seam on the sides? Now the pain thing would be caused depending on how much of leather or fabric is on the border inside.

@Anoop - Good stuff!!
Thank you Shubz. You get gloves in both styles. Though the outside seam do not look clean, they are generally much comfortable to wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
+1 the seam issue. I had the Rynox gloves. The seam came in between of my hand & the lever. The pain after even short rides was unbearable. Had to get the gloves replaced.

Sridhu - as of now, the seam do not rub against the fingers much. I have put only around 100 km after I got them, will give a detailed impression once I clock couple of hours \ 1K km with the gloves.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 21:12   #1408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

Inside seams offer one advantage, they almost make the joints disappear and reduce stress induced splits. And moreover if one happens to ride in rain the chances are the threads soaking up and giving up on the seam is a high probability. But apart from the comfort factor, yes it stings, I've been in similar situation too.

The other thing is the quality of the leather, harder leathers, goat skin and the like are really soft, but raw hide is usually on the thicker side, intended for use in motorcycle. But do keep us posted on the long term review.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 13:33   #1409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post

@Anoop - Good stuff!!
Nope. Many gloves have the stitch seam on the outside, so that the extra fabric/leather beyond the seam lime of the stitching is on the outside and not in contact with your fingers (especially painful/irritating areas are the tips of your fingers). I am not talking about the sides - I am saying inside vs outside.
Old 14th December 2013, 07:49   #1410
BHPian

Got a new armoured vest. The Icon Stryker Vest has a CE level 1 rated protection in the back and front. Uses d3o molecular armour instead of the traditional stuff.

Feels beautiful to wear and has the Hydra-dry lining inside. The shoulder and waist straps are quite adjustable. Have tried wearing it under the riding jacket and it feels really comfy and snug. Havent worn it under my suit as yet but hopefully it should fit there as well.

Got it from Spartan Progear (google them) flagship store in Chennai. They have just started selling ICON gear and helmets along with RS Taichi and Spartan. Costs Rs 13,500 but is worth the absolute protection it provides.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-14f9c1d0d4b98eecda4fad3d38d59b5f.jpeg  

The Riding Gear thread-iconstrykervest1.jpg  

Last edited by narula123 : 14th December 2013 at 07:51.
narula123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks