Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2010, 18:25   #256
Senior - BHPian

Hey bro, I would suggest you go for a reasonably good mesh for the summers (DSG/Cramster) for the time being. You can always go in for another better one at a later point in time.
Old 25th January 2010, 19:15   #257
BHPian

Mesh would be more versatile at this point since many come with a removable water resistant liner, and you can always wear something warm over\under your jacket when its cold.
Old 25th January 2010, 20:01   #258
BHPian

leather is best!

From Motorcycle Safety Site
-------------------------
In studies of 'survivability' of various garment materials to a 50 MPH ride on asphalt, for example, denim lasted no more than FOUR FEET before wearing through. Kevlar, on the other hand, lasted EIGHTEEN FEET. But standard motorcycle quality (about three times heavier than fashion jacket material) lasted EIGHTY-SIX FEET.

[The tests were reported in the September 1988 issue of Cycle magazine.]
----------------------------
Indian-made motorcycle jackets don't even use Kevlar, but rather some nylon-like material (the same as found in knapsacks and backpacks). My own experience is that they tear on impact, and are worse than even denim.

You can get a good cow/buffalo hide (sheep-skin is too thin) jackets for anywhere from Rs 3000-5000 and get better protection than the jackets being discussed. It is still advisable to wear elbow protectors under even leather jackets to avoid a fracture during a fall. In the peak of summer, a denim jacket (worn with elbow protectors) would offer better protection IMHO than the Indian-made motorcycle jackets.

Last edited by Rollin' Thunda : 25th January 2010 at 20:07.
Old 25th January 2010, 20:42   #259
BHPian

for daily use in hot/humid conditions mesh with good protection with removable liners serves best.for track leathers excel.
Old 25th January 2010, 21:13   #260
BHPian

hi,
need some help here, how do i clean a textile mesh jacket(alpinestar), in the label inside it says dry clean, is that the only way? or can i clean it with a damp cloth? its just dusty not very dirty.
thanks..
Old 26th January 2010, 03:26   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
hi,
need some help here, how do i clean a textile mesh jacket(alpinestar), in the label inside it says dry clean, is that the only way? or can i clean it with a damp cloth? its just dusty not very dirty.
thanks..
I would suggest removing the padding and washing it in stuff like ezee. Soak it in the liquid for 30 mins or so and wash it in luke water .
Old 26th January 2010, 11:07   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Hey bro, I would suggest you go for a reasonably good mesh for the summers (DSG/Cramster) for the time being. You can always go in for another better one at a later point in time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
Mesh would be more versatile at this point since many come with a removable water resistant liner, and you can always wear something warm over\under your jacket when its cold.

Thanks a lot for the advice guys!

Does the Cramster Breezer come with a removable lining?

I have a feeling it does not; the DSG ones however, do.
Old 30th January 2010, 12:10   #263
BHPian

My Gear

Hi guys,
i got my jacket custom made from a leather factory in Mumbai . they had a special deal for the rider mania 2010 participants. it is made of pure elpaso cow leather treated with scotch guard and made of something that they call cool leather. Supposedly keeps you warm in summer and cold in winter ! modern day climate control
But have been riding with it for the last 1 month and find it really good. has proper padding at all the right places, has a spine protector etc. Its a really heavy piece , but very very comfortable.
the factory took measurements and custom fitted the jacket for me. i have uploaded a very bad pic for now. will follow up with better pics asap.

my helmet is the new joe rocket stain series . excellent lid, very very low whistling and am thinking of adding the cardo bluetooth system to this, mainly to listen to music while riding. your comments please
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-1921_rkt101_stain_helmet.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-1922_rkt101_stain_helmet.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-18012010057.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 30th January 2010, 12:49   #264
BHPian

that helmet is effing awesome.

where did you buy it fro and for how much?
Old 1st February 2010, 11:18   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishotmydog View Post
that helmet is effing awesome.

where did you buy it fro and for how much?
Thanks bro, bought it for 15 k at the performance racing store in tardeo, mumbai. Infact it has been ordered and will reach me on the 3rd of feb . can't wait to try it out!
Old 2nd February 2010, 22:35   #266
Team-BHP Support

i have finally have had the budget to buy A*, but i really want to know that around 5-6K i will be spending over DSG would be worth(like if its way comfy or provides better protection)
^^its my hard earned money and want to make sure that its not an extravagant purchase
P.S-ride a humble R15/Fazer for everyday use

and can Joe Rocket be shipped w/o much problems?

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd February 2010 at 22:48.
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:04   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepikins View Post
Hi guys,
i got my jacket custom made from a leather factory in Mumbai . they had a special deal for the rider mania 2010 participants. it is made of pure elpaso cow leather treated with scotch guard and made of something that they call cool leather. Supposedly keeps you warm in summer and cold in winter ! modern day climate control
Dude that looks like a nice jacket. It has all the thing that I am looking for. I have been trying to get a custom jacket with all the necessary protection plus an all weather one. Can u guide me where I can get it done in Mumbai. And how much would it cost.
Old 3rd February 2010, 13:27   #268

Hello Riders,
Bought a KBC Helmet today now looking for hand gloves. BTW Which is a better make for riding gear specially for hand gloves, Alpinestar or Joe rocket.
Old 3rd February 2010, 13:50   #269
BHPian

jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Dude that looks like a nice jacket. It has all the thing that I am looking for. I have been trying to get a custom jacket with all the necessary protection plus an all weather one. Can u guide me where I can get it done in Mumbai. And how much would it cost.
hi animesh,

saw your Pm first and have sent you the details there.
Old 3rd February 2010, 14:26   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligator View Post
Hello Riders,
Bought a KBC Helmet today now looking for hand gloves. BTW Which is a better make for riding gear specially for hand gloves, Alpinestar or Joe rocket.
both are awesome but ofcourse astar is astar, see what fits u right & which styling u prefer, u cant go wrong with any one of the brands..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks