Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2011, 16:00   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Uh oh!! Cause for concern for me I guess. My helmet has fallen twice on the ground from my hand when holding the helmet. The impact was not much and hence I am using it as my daily wear to office and back. Do you recommend changing the helmet?
Better to use it for really short commutes like to the market and such.

For longer rides, get a new lid. Most helmets today (premium ones such as LS2, etc.) come with a carrying bag. This can prevent those unwanted dings and scratches and maintain the helmet as good as new for a long time.
Old 8th March 2011, 16:03   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Uh oh!! Cause for concern for me I guess. My helmet has fallen twice on the ground from my hand when holding the helmet. The impact was not much and hence I am using it as my daily wear to office and back. Do you recommend changing the helmet?
According to bblost, its the inner layer that has only a one-time impact resistance. So, if you have dropped the helmet by accident from your hand, unless ur head was in it, the inner layer would not have lost its shape, then its ok to continue to use it.

However, when the helmet was dropped from your hand, and in case your head was in it afterall, the inner layer would have lost its shape and protective capacity reduced, therefore, it would then be prudent to change helmets.

Cheers!

Prajwal
Old 8th March 2011, 22:33   #513
Senior - BHPian

if the helmet has fallen on concrete like surface, the outer shell may have developed cracks too. better to change it. both outer shell and inner shell work together to protect the skull.

another reason not to borrow/buy second hand helmet.
Old 8th March 2011, 23:03   #514
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
According to bblost, its the inner layer that has only a one-time impact resistance. So, if you have dropped the helmet by accident from your hand, unless ur head was in it, the inner layer would not have lost its shape, then its ok to continue to use it.

However, when the helmet was dropped from your hand, and in case your head was in it afterall, the inner layer would have lost its shape and protective capacity reduced, therefore, it would then be prudent to change helmets.

Cheers!

Prajwal
Sorry Brother, either you have misunderstand my point or I guess you actually mean the above in jest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
if the helmet has fallen on concrete like surface, the outer shell may have developed cracks too. better to change it. both outer shell and inner shell work together to protect the skull.

another reason not to borrow/buy second hand helmet.
Exactly.

The outer shell is very important. It provides a balanced area where the inner form can distort and absorb the force.
Old 19th March 2011, 12:54   #515
e46
BHPian

guys,
am looking for axo guard set (set of 4, 2 elbows, 2 knees) which retails for around 1400 bucks. got the info from thehelmetshoppe.com. any idea where can i get these in Bangalore?

Am also looking for riding gloved (within 800). how are Pro-Biker ones (7ooINR)

I ride a Gladiator, for city commuting. not into high speed thingy, hence not looking for expensive stuffs.

responses would be appreciated from Bangy folks. And Aditya, congrats for ur Ninja (a late one, i know)

Last edited by n_aditya : 19th March 2011 at 22:27. Reason: posted in bold, corrected accordingly.
Old 19th March 2011, 22:24   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
guys, am looking for axo guard set (set of 4, 2 elbows, 2 knees) which retails for around 1400 bucks. got the info from thehelmetshoppe.com. any idea where can i get these in Bangalore?

Am also looking for riding gloved (within 800). how are Pro-Biker ones (7ooINR)

I ride a Gladiator, for city commuting. not into high speed thingy, hence not looking for expensive stuffs.

responses would be appreciated from Bangy folks. And Aditya, congrats for ur Ninja (a late one, i know)
The AXO guards are available in JC road for around 1k.... but these are cheap replica's and not the genuine AXO's so they might do more damage than good. Anything that concerns personal safety should not be compromised so always invest in genuine stuff.

Try the Fox Armour which retails for some 3k odd bucks (elbow+knee)and is available at Orion Motors (Yamaha Dealer). It is genuine and the quality looks great too.

Gloves you can buy on JC rd but always ensure that atleast the palm area has leather. Leather provides maximum resistance against abrasion compared to any other material used in riding gears. Go for DSG Motomesh, costs INR 850 and is VFM.

P.S. Ask for Manju in Orion and speak to him. You could refer my name for a discount if required
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2011, 12:44   #517
Team-BHP Support

The Riding Gear thread-geared.jpg

Me dressed up for office.

Tourmaster Draft Mesh jacket with CE approved armor for the elbows, shoulder and back. Excellent for the hot weather. Comfortable at all places except traffic signals with heavy traffic.

A kidney belt. Need this for protection and also because I wear my laptop bag on my back. Help support all the extra weight.

Knee Protectors.

Snell 2010 rated Seven'0'Seven Helmet.

Ordinary Gloves. I don't find the padded gloves comfortable.

Woodland Shoes/ sometime the army boots.
Old 28th March 2011, 18:15   #518
BHPian

Guys,

What riding gears are cheaper in Dubai? I have a friend who is travelling there for couple of days and agreed to shop riding gears for me. I want to buy them only if they are cheaper or in the same price range as in USA.

I'm essentially looking at Arai helmet, boots (either PUMA for Ducati or Alpine), gloves and Jacket(preferably Ducati or any other leather jacket).

Please revert.

Many thanks
Old 28th March 2011, 22:31   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Attachment 522874
Me dressed up for office.
looking good mate!

btw, after reaching office, do you keep the riding gear in a locker or stuff it in a separate bag you might be carrying?
Old 28th March 2011, 23:18   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
looking good mate!

btw, after reaching office, do you keep the riding gear in a locker or stuff it in a separate bag you might be carrying?
Am pretty sure he works through the day with it on. Removing that urban samurai get-up is gonna take a while.
Old 29th March 2011, 05:50   #521
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
looking good mate!

I am very lucky as my office motorcycle parking is in the basement. Its our own campus so no shared parking either. So I park my bike and with the full gear on except the helmet, which I carry in my hands, I get to my workstation using the elevator.

I just put everything on the space around me. Luckily office has a lot of free space between developers and it does not disturb anyone. Also since we have no one except the team members around, stuff is very safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Am pretty sure he works through the day with it on. Removing that urban samurai get-up is gonna take a while.
It takes less than 5 minutes, to get into full battle gear.
Removing it takes the same amount of time.

I had a bad crash last year. Walked away with no broken bones or anything. But almost, I repeat almost ended up smashing up my knee.
While this gear does not guarantee everything, it does give me a more than fair chance on our roads.

Last edited by bblost : 29th March 2011 at 05:54.
Old 29th March 2011, 06:28   #522
BHPian

Has anyone tried the evaporative vests inside these jackets in India? (especially in high humidity conditions)?

bblost - this might be especially useful for you - I am your ex collegue - so I know about the heat / building structure
Old 16th April 2011, 17:04   #523
BHPian

PlanetDSG is offering upto 40% off on Alpinestars textile jackets. I guess it's valid till 30th April.

P.S: I am not affiliated with PlanetDSG in any way, just sharing something with other BHPians
Old 16th April 2011, 21:38   #524
Senior - BHPian

Here are pics of my brand new Sidi Vertigo CE Certified riding boots. Bought them from Motorcycle Superstore.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-camera-dump-001.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-camera-dump-002.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-camera-dump-003.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-camera-dump-004.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-camera-dump-005.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-camera-dump-006.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-camera-dump-007.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-camera-dump-008.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-camera-dump-009.jpg  

Old 16th April 2011, 21:50   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
Picked a helmet a few days ago. Priced Rs.3800 at Helmet Paradise. pretty comfortable. Needs allen keys to take the visor off. The flip up action is pretty smooth and the lock mechanism seems quite secure. Picked up a spare visor as well. The helmet seems to to be of good quality and weighs 1450 gms. I was used to that weight as my older AGV also almost the weighed the same.

Attachment 524979

Attachment 524980

Attachment 524981

Attachment 524982

Cheers!

Prajwal
Congratulations Prajwal on the purchase. I picked up the same Cross Hunk from Chopra @ Karol Bagh, Delhi. I picked it up for Rs. 3500/-. Can you tell me how much did you pick up the spare visor for? I forgot to pick one.

I plan to attach a bluetooth kit to it (think one's available from Vega).

Cheers
Sid

Most Viewed