Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2012, 13:31   #931
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Ordered a pair of Sidi Cobra (standard) boots from PRS.
The wait begins.
Old 28th June 2012, 11:52   #932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Ordered a pair of Sidi Cobra (standard) boots from PRS. The wait begins.
That's a nice choice of boots wolfy. How much did they cost, if you don't mind sharing the info?

I bought the SIDI Vertigo Air last year from USA for USD 300 (around INR 14k) and absolutely love these boots. Rugged build + looks, feels and fits great and loads of safety / protection in the boots.

If PRS has them in stock you should receive them in 24-48 hrs.
Old 28th June 2012, 12:55   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
That's a nice choice of boots wolfy. How much did they cost, if you don't mind sharing the info?

I bought the SIDI Vertigo Air last year from USA for USD 300 (around INR 14k) and absolutely love these boots. Rugged build + looks, feels and fits great and loads of safety / protection in the boots.

If PRS has them in stock you should receive them in 24-48 hrs.
Hey Aditya!
Not at all, I have paid 15400/- including shipping (boots cost 15k currently and 400/- for shipping).
PRS did not have my choice of colour and size on the cobra, so they have placed an order from Sidi Italy (i presume?). Promised delivery is ~3weeks. It is a little too close to my leh ride but I am counting on them.

Cheers,
Kapil

Last edited by wolfy : 28th June 2012 at 13:10.
Old 28th June 2012, 15:48   #934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
It is a little too close to my leh ride but I am counting on them.
Spend a day or two walking around in them so they break in well. Also ride a couple of 100 kms with them on since the feel of the brake/gear levers will be completely different with these boots. Initially you might use more than the required pressure on the brake pedal since the feel will be different.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 10:49   #935
BHPian

Hi all,

I wanted to know if there is a way we can buy CE approved elbow/knee guards and custom fit them on regular denims? Found this which I thought I could use

Joe Rocket Speedmaster Elbow/knee Armor | MotoSport

Also, how safe are riding pants in the rains compared to say a regular denim worn under a rain suit?
Old 29th June 2012, 16:32   #936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejus.s View Post
I wanted to know if there is a way we can buy CE approved elbow/knee guards and custom fit them on regular denims? Found this which I thought I could use
You can source the armor from USA but getting hold of someone to fit them onto denims will be time consuming and expensive.

Why not buy something like this or this? Draggin jeans are reportedly the best in the business.

Quote:
Also, how safe are riding pants in the rains compared to say a regular denim worn under a rain suit?
Riding pants come with a rain liner to keep water out during rains.
Old 29th June 2012, 17:15   #937
BHPian

Quote:
Why not buy something like this or this? Draggin jeans are reportedly the best in the business.
Thanks Aditya. I came across these products and got thinking if I could get them tailored to suit our needs. These are after all regular denims with armours right (Joe Rocket)? It says there are additional reinforcements (Kevlar) in case of Draggin', but my guess was that for the speeds I manage on my ZMA, the kind of customization I thought of would do

Wouldn't your average tailor be able to path up the armour over the jeans which I know fits me fine and am comfortable with? Need to be careful about the positioning of the armour though.

Speaking of such clothing, the last time we had been to Cramster, they were trying to get our thoughts on such protective jeans. Anyone aware if they've started working on them? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by tejus.s : 29th June 2012 at 17:16. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 1st July 2012, 23:10   #938
BHPian

My Riding Gear -
DSG Phoenix mesh jacket - From Planet DSG
DSG Revive gloves - From Planet DSG
AGV Telluride riding pants - Imported
Cramster Lower Back - From Outdoor Adventure Gear
Knox Light Knee pads - From Outdoor Adventure Gear (for times when I do not use the AGV pants)
HJC IS 33 helmet - Imported
Axo Striker riding boots - Imported

All these cost me a 'bomb' and I got that 'YOU ARE CRAZY' look from the wife, but feels great riding with all these safety gear.
I love going on long trips over a few days and the feel at ease and confident, knowing that there is some sort of protection if ever some untowards incident occurs.
Cramster saddle bags for those long trip luggage.
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:49   #939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wouldn't your average tailor be able to path up the armour over the jeans which I know fits me fine and am comfortable with? Need to be careful about the positioning of the armour though.
Not sure Tejus. If i were you I'd go with the branded ones since they are tried and tested extensively.

Custom jobs carry their own risk unless some abrasion and impact protection and resistance tests are carried out. Stitches need to be really strong and resist huge amount of stress in case of a fall or slide to keep the rider safe.

Quote:
Speaking of such clothing, the last time we had been to Cramster, they were trying to get our thoughts on such protective jeans. Anyone aware if they've started working on them?
Not sure of this bit of info mate.
Old 2nd July 2012, 10:40   #940
Senior - BHPian

Got myself DSG Revive from Orion. My MX3 slightly tore at the seam near the wrist and hence the purchase. The fit is good, but the fingers are slightly longer, which means I've butterfingers now
Old 2nd July 2012, 10:40   #941
BHPian

Quote:
Custom jobs carry their own risk unless some abrasion and impact protection and resistance tests are carried out. Stitches need to be really strong and resist huge amount of stress in case of a fall or slide to keep the rider safe.
Yup, that's what I thought. Thanks Aditya, you've been of great help. One more query; we are deliberating between Cramster's Twister and DSG Revive for quite sometime now. Let us know which would be an ideal buy for commute and touring (alternate weekends).
Old 2nd July 2012, 10:58   #942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, that's what I thought. Thanks Aditya, you've been of great help. One more query; we are deliberating between Cramster's Twister and DSG Revive for quite sometime now. Let us know which would be an ideal buy for commute and touring (alternate weekends).
Glad I've been able to help Tejus.

I'd recommend the DSG revive in lieu of the Cramster. I've been using the Revive for over 2 years now (~22,000 kms) and they have performed very well.

The gloves are full leather, have carbon fiber/kevlar reinforcements on the knuckle and finger areas along with air vents on the fingers and perforations on the sides of the finger area. I've ridden with these gloves in peak summers and the air vents actually work. I can feel the air flowing through the vents and never have sweaty palms.

Only grouse with these gloves in my experience was the quality of the velcro straps which refuse to stick after a few months of use. But you can buy a strip of velcro in a local shop and stitch them over the existing ones (any bag repair shop will do it) all for under 50 bucks.

My gloves are due for replacement now. The left one has a tear near one of the fingers and the right one is tearing at the wrist area. But nevertheless, still good for daily use.

P.S. textile gloves are useless since they disintegrate in seconds when the rider falls and slides on tarmac. Leather has maximum abrasion resistance so its important that the gloves have leather construction on the palm area. When a rider falls he uses his palms to break the fall and brace for impact.

Off late, IMO cramster products quality has been diminishing so wouldn't suggest them.
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:16   #943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
we are deliberating between Cramster's Twister and DSG Revive for quite sometime now. Let us know which would be an ideal buy for commute and touring (alternate weekends).
Can vouch DSG Revive anywhere; 29K kms on my CBR & some 6-7K on my Rx in one year & 2-3 months & my revive has been soaked in water twice & I'm quite confident it can with stand for another 3K very easily.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:13   #944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S. textile gloves are useless since they disintegrate in seconds when the rider falls and slides on tarmac. Leather has maximum abrasion resistance so its important that the gloves have leather construction on the palm area. When a rider falls he uses his palms to break the fall and brace for impact.
Agree 100%, but textile ones can be used in the wet without becoming a squidgy mass, and they also dry quickly, which is a big advantage in the monsoons (now we just need some rain ....).

For city riding, I prefer these over the bulky leather ones. Good air flow and knuckle protection. Easy to put on and take off. Not bulky so can keep wearing them at fuel stops, get wallet/credit card out of pockets, use the mobile. Anti-slip palm with mount of venus protection pad. And got them for just 300 bucks.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-probikermotorcyclemotocrossracingblueglovese8cc1.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-probikermotorcyclemotocrossracingbluegloves420f4.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-probikermotorcyclemotocrossracingblueglovesd4ad2.jpg  

ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:29   #945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Agree 100%, but textile ones can be used in the wet without becoming a squidgy mass, and they also dry quickly, which is a big advantage in the monsoons (now we just need some rain ....).
Looks interesting. Did a google search, looks like they're the ProBiker MCS01? Where in Pune? I might be heading to DSG on MG Road for the Revive gloves, on n_aditya's recommendation, and might pick up these as well. I hope they come in plain black too though

Cheers,
Rahul

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks