Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2012, 02:26   #1036
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Friends finally bought my gear and bike cover. Got the DSG Nero jacket. Some said its heavy, but I'll test it out on a few rides before I comment anything about it.

Gloves:- Couldn't find the Revive at the shops, so got a full gauntlet DSG VECTOR(to get a sense of safety). Atleast for highway rides this should be good. Shall get the Revive when the stocks are back.

Leather gloves maintenance tips if any

Also thinking of gettin an Rjay's swift jacket next year during summers.

Also got el cheapo AXO knee guards but atleast thats some protection till I can get my riding pants. Atleast Im now set for long rides.

Thanks to n_aditya, shubz and hell's fury.

P.S are any of you using this headgear called ? Need a scarf type thingy to cover my neck area as Im prone to throat infections on cold exposure.

Now riding ATGATT !!!

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 19th October 2012 at 02:54.
Old 19th October 2012, 09:53   #1037
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the DSG Nero Owners Association

The jacket is indeed heavy, but only till you wear it. I had to get a wooden hanger to hang it because the plastic one looked like it was gonna break anytime!

Oh, btw you can cook your food inside it during summers Make sure you keep the vents at the front, back and at the biceps, open. The front top two pockets and inside the jacket is waterproof (I rode two hours in the rain and everything except the insides of the jacket got wet).
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 11:15   #1038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Partha, congrats on the gear! Time to log some miles now!

With leather, be it a jacket or gloves or boots, just make sure you dont get it soaking wet as far as possible. If it does get wet, dry it and give it a generous amount of airing. With gloves, a bit of talcum pwdrer on the inside will keep the sweaty, musty smell away. Leather doesnt need much maintenance otherwise. If you want that fresh dry-cleaned look, coconut oil or bootpolish maybe? There's some newfangled leather treatment products available in the market, but no personal experience with them.

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 12:40   #1039
BHPian

Not exactly a riding gear question but thought this would be an appropriate place to ask this:

- Can I use the Cramster Colt saddle bags and the Cramster Turtle tank bag on my CBR250R?
Old 19th October 2012, 15:21   #1040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I use Eagle One leather conditioner. Just spray and wipe. Keeps the leather well protected.

Please ensure that the gloves don't get wet in the rain, but if they do, stuff them with tissues so that moisture is absorbed. Never dry leather products in the sun.

You can use a balaclava which can cover your neck as well as your head. Cramster balaclava's are decent enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Not exactly a riding gear question but thought this would be an appropriate place to ask this:

- Can I use the Cramster Colt saddle bags and the Cramster Turtle tank bag on my CBR250R?
IMHO, aargee would be the best person to answer this. PM him.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 18:02   #1041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Though I have not personally used the Turtle tank bag on my CBR, I have used the Colt saddle-bags on my CBR for long rides without any issues at all. The only thing I do - to be safe (since the bottom of the bags can touch the tyres), is tie a chord running from the foot-peg hooks?? to the pillion hand-rail back to the foot-peg on the other side. Errr, did I explain that right

IIRC, guys from the CBR club here have used the Turtle tank bag too.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 18:04   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Though I have not personally used the Turtle tank bag on my CBR, I have used the Colt saddle-bags on my CBR for long rides without any issues at all. The only thing I do - to be safe (since the bottom of the bags can touch the tyres), is tie a chord running from the foot-peg hooks?? to the pillion hand-rail back to the foot-peg on the other side. Errr, did I explain that right

IIRC, guys from the CBR club here have used the Turtle tank bag too.
Thanks Naveen. Yup, you explained it right :P
Old 20th October 2012, 20:27   #1043
BHPian

Quote:

- Can I use the Cramster Colt saddle bags on my CBR250R?
I had a very bad experience not tying the colt properly to the CBR rear and almost lost an expensive lens when the bottom part of the colt got ripped out due to contact with rear tyre during a highway ride. Make sure you tie a bungee cord properly with rear grab rail before mounting the colt on the bike.

These images should help you understand how to setup.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4077800&type=1

Quote:

- Can I use the Cramster Turtle tank bag on my CBR250R?
I am using this on my CBR and it absolutely works fine,
Note,
> Make sure you put a cloth/thin towel on the tank before slapping on the turtle bag as magnetic tank pads tend to scratch the tank
> Dont try to reach great high speeds with this setup (maybe >140 kmph), heard it aint that stable at it.

Last edited by redrage : 20th October 2012 at 20:29.
redrage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 09:16   #1044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Welcome to the DSG Nero Owners Association
Make sure you keep the vents at the front, back and at the biceps, open. The front top two pockets and inside the jacket is waterproof .
Hope all are proud owners of the Nero. Thanks for the tutorial IronH4WK. Had you not told about the vent locations I would've kept thinking of them as just pockets. Used it on my long ride a day back and it was amazing. Also using it on my city rides too. But at standstill I got barbequed in front of BBQ nation yesterday. It was ok on the move though. Even under the mid day sun.
Can't ride without protection in Bangalore though. Too much traffic and too little common sense. Had a few close calls. Rods hanging out from the front of an ACE and coming right behind me. I hate riding in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Partha, congrats on the gear! Time to log some miles now!
Hey Rahul, are you in Bangy yet?

Tried the talcum powder idea with the gloves and it works out great. Also using the polish on the DMS boots.
The boots helped greatly during every ride. And beshtest thing is they don't hurt my foot actually far better than my other formal shoes. Got one size smaller than what I usually wear. They are very comfortable and use them everytime I go for a ride.

Had my first rain ride the day before and God it was a liberating experience. Also met a fellow bulleteer all the way from MH 01. He was headed to Thanisandra but my bad I couldn't help him out with the directions.

During the rain ride with the jacket and everything I was almost completely protected from the rain except for the pants. Need to do something about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I use Eagle One leather conditioner. Just spray and wipe. Keeps the leather well protected.

Please ensure that the gloves don't get wet in the rain, but if they do, stuff them with tissues so that moisture is absorbed. Never dry leather products in the sun.

You can use a balaclava which can cover your neck as well as your head. Cramster balaclava's are decent enough.
Where can we get the Eagle One and Cramster balaclava sir?

My two cents on the Nero Jacket and DSG Vector gloves-
  1. The Nero maybe heavy but once on the move one doesn't feel that way
  2. The Nero also feels very hot when one is at stand still or parked somewhere. I started sweating within a few minutes when I parked in somewhere in the city yesterday even with the rainy weather.
  3. I rode without the rain liner on my long ride and even in mild rains it did great without the liner. I guess liner should be used when raining heavily.
  4. DSG Vector gloves are full gauntlet ones and I think that suits me perfectly.
  5. On the long ride it was actually comfortable to wear the gloves. It provides good grip.
  6. Also I suspect it may have vents. as I could feel a cool breeze flowing through my fingers. I could be wrong here.
  7. Need to get a city riding gloves asap. As Im riding without gloves in the city.

Overall it feels great to ride the bike with the gear. Unlike what I used to think previously that it maybe quite uncomfortable, I was pleasantly surprised. Thanks to all of you here who kept saying ATGATT Plus it also covers up my equatorial mass

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 21st October 2012 at 09:20.
Old 22nd October 2012, 13:36   #1045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Where can we get the Eagle One and Cramster balaclava sir?
Cramster got a shop at Cunningham road. Building is called Westminster. You can try there.

Leather conditioners are available at all Auto accessory stores across the city. Try JC road
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 13:54   #1046
BANNED

How much these cramster hand gloves costs?
I got my Alpinestars MX2 leather gloves for 47$ in ebay, it actually retails for 100$. I found http://www.fuelpowersports.com also good option but they don't ship it to India, need to use bombinoexp, borderlinx kind of service to get the delivery.
Old 23rd October 2012, 10:30   #1047
BHPian

Where in Chennai can I try
Alpinestars SP-X Gloves : Black
and buy. I want to know how it feels.

Can someone list the riding gear accessories shops in Chennai.

Vellavan motors - Cramster, Rjays
Dollar and pounds -

Old 23rd October 2012, 17:45   #1048
BHPian

Got the Cramster Colt and the Cramster Turtle saddle bags. Thanks Aditya, Naveen and redrage.

Now the question is - Where in Bangalore can I pick up Bungee cords from? Or if I can get it online, any pointers to good quality ones?
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:04   #1049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got the Cramster Colt and the Cramster Turtle saddle bags. Thanks Aditya, Naveen and redrage.

Now the question is - Where in Bangalore can I pick up Bungee cords from? Or if I can get it online, any pointers to good quality ones?
As mentioned by others, careful when you mount the Colt saddle bags on the CBR. Ensure it does not touch the tires.

Bungee cords can be picked from JC road, in fact some local automobile shops also stores it.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:45   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Bungee cords can be picked from JC road, in fact some local automobile shops also stores it.
Do the Helmet shops on JC Road stock them?

Most Viewed