Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2012, 19:37   #1051
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Do the Helmet shops on JC Road stock them?
Go here for bungee cords, this is the best shop selling outdoor gear in Bangalore.

Ozone Adventure gear.

Showroom: # 15/1, State Bank Road,
Near Museum Road Post Office,
Bangalore 560 001. INDIA
Tel: +91-80-4123 1007 / 2559 1213
Mobile: +91-92434 84056
email : adventure@ozoneindia.com
Kamen_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 19:40   #1052
Senior - BHPian

How does it work out to use Borderlinx and other sites for small purchases - say like a pair of riding pants? How much do they charge for an item like this?
Old 25th October 2012, 09:56   #1053
BANNED

Borderlinx is quite costly and their charges varies with the value, weight and dimension of the product you are importing, they have shipping charges calculator in their site and it works perfectly.
Old 25th October 2012, 19:43   #1054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Can someone list the riding gear accessories shops in Chennai.
Spartan Gear has an experience store on the ECR and a retail store on GP Road. You can try for size at the ECR address.

See this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Now the question is - Where in Bangalore can I pick up Bungee cords from? Or if I can get it online, any pointers to good quality ones?
In addition to the suggested options, you can also pick up bungee cords at X-Torque in Kasturi Nagar, Blore. A bit pricey IMO though.

I bought mine at malleswaram from a petty shop which was selling these bungee cords as clothes lines. Cost - around 50 bucks.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 19:02   #1055
BHPian

Hi guys,
I need your advice on Alpinestars S-MX 5 boots.
I have been planning on buying the riding shoes and have already read/ watched lots of reviews of different brands of shoes.
Also, got an opportunity to check out AXO Primal 2 shoes at Planet DSG but was not satisfied with the protection it offered at heels. It was literally a cloth and I really doubt the impact protection it would offer.
Now the SMX 5 shoes are also available.
Will it provide good heel & ankle protection in an event of crash etc (though they claim so)?
Is it a good buy @ Rs 11,100 ?
Any comments from those who have first hand experience with these shoes?
How are they as compared to SIDI? (which is available at Rs 15,000 Onwards) Same functionality at higher price or do they offer anything extra?

Last edited by NitinMakhija : 26th October 2012 at 19:09.
Old 26th October 2012, 22:04   #1056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinMakhija View Post
Hi guys,
I need your advice on Alpinestars S-MX 5 boots.

Any comments from those who have first hand experience with these shoes?
How are they as compared to SIDI? (which is available at Rs 15,000 Onwards) Same functionality at higher price or do they offer anything extra?
I have tried both, and I would highly recommend the Sidi's over the SMX-5. The Sidi uses Lorica as its upper material which is softer and more comfortable than the leather used in the SMX-5. And if you are buying the Vertigo, Vortice or ST, you get adjustable calf space (which is great for tucking in the legs of your riding pant or suit) and exceptional impact protection in the heel in cases you smash down your achilles in the unfortunate event of a crash. Top end Vertigo and ST gets you an exoskeletal frame to prevent ankle twist.

The A-star SMX 5 is a good boot, but it is just that Sidis are way better.

Bonus: A-Star is made in China, while most Sidis are made in Italy.
Kamen_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 07:28   #1057
BHPian

Looking for some essential riding gears but have no knowledge. Can somebody please help.

1. Which all gears should I buy and their use/utility. Pls consider that I have to ride in all the weathers. From desert heat in summers to ice cold temperature.

2. Also how many pcs are required for a 15 days trip.

3. Can you wash them on the way and wear again if stay somewhere for one day during your journey.

4. Are they rain proof??

5. Advice the expected cost / brand (prefer a bit economical one).

6. I was planing to buy a Go Pro camera. But can I buy a digicam in which I can fit an external wide angle camera that i can fit on my helmet. Not the digicam on helmet, but the lighter wide angle camera. Possible???
Old 5th November 2012, 08:33   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
1. Which all gears should I buy and their use/utility. Pls consider that I have to ride in all the weathers.

2. Also how many pcs are required for a 15 days trip.

3. Can you wash them on the way and wear again if stay somewhere for one day during your journey.

4. Are they rain proof??

5. Advice the expected cost / brand (prefer a bit economical one).

6. I was planing to buy a Go Pro camera. But can I buy a digicam in which I can fit an external wide angle camera that i can fit on my helmet. Not the digicam on helmet, but the lighter wide angle camera. Possible???
1. There are no universal riding gears or all weather riding gears. Mesh is best suited for summers while you would need thicker material for icy weather. You might have to buy 2 sets of gears based on the weather you ride in. Or buy a cordura jacket for summers and wear thermal inners and a few more layers of clothing under this jacket in winters.

2. Depends on your requirement and how light you want to travel

3. Nope. Jackets are made from thick material so they definitely won't dry in a day unless you have a clothes drying machine

4. If they are equipped with a rain liner then yes, to an extent but riding in heavy rain for hours together might render even this liner as useless. Buy a 2 piece rain gear which you can wear over the riding gears

5. go through this thread for the last few pages or so. The prices and brands have been discussed in great detail

6. i'm not an expert on this but if the digicam has a good frame rate then it is possible. Water proofing it and mounting it will be cumbersome. Search the forum, this topic also has been discussed and you will find cheaper alternatives to GoPro camera's
Old 15th November 2012, 23:57   #1059
BHPian

This seems to be far from a genuine product. The pictures are good. the prices are mouth watering? the only query is whether this thing is of any good? I am not a hardcore off road biker, but I do go for occasional long drives on my Bull.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/FOX-Riding-Ja...item3a7b9c2bfe

anybody purchased this product? any reviews?
Old 16th November 2012, 08:37   #1060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
This seems to be far from a genuine product. The pictures are good. the prices are mouth watering? the only query is whether this thing is of any good? I am not a hardcore off road biker, but I do go for occasional long drives on my Bull.
As you have said, this is definitely a fake / replica of the fox body armor. The cheapest variant of the genuine fox body armor retails at around US $ 120.

My suggestion is to go with the best armor you can afford as it is a matter of safety. That said, even this replica is better than wearing no gear at all but level of protection offered is questionable.

On a different note, why don't you look at riding jackets (from DSG or Spartan)? These will offer much better protection as the material (cordura for example) is more durable than the mesh type construction used in the above said body armor.
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:16   #1061
BHPian

The motorcycle bug has bitten me recently (after years of looking at my bike only as something to take me from point A to point B) and I've done pretty good long rides too with an old Yamaha Jacket and some gym gloves (for convenience rather than safety since I noticed the palms getting dry and rough after long drives). I'm not really aware of any riding gear brands (except may be Cramster). Google isn't helping me either. I would like to buy a full set along with my new bike (still confused between ZMR or Avenger). Could someone please list the respectable brands of riding gears through all price ranges?

Thanks in advance

Edit:

Managed to find these three websites. Are they good? Except Studds, the other two are new names to me.

Bikeznall www.bikeznall.com
Planet DSG www.planetdsg.com
Studds Accessories www.studds.com

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 22nd November 2012 at 12:24.
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:24   #1062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Could someone please list the respectable brands of riding gears through all price ranges?
Quite a few brands and prices have been discussed extensively in the last few pages. Do take a look and if you still require answers to specific queries we will definitely pitch in.
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:58   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
The motorcycle bug has bitten me recently (after years of looking at my bike only as something to take me from point A to point B) and I've done pretty good long rides too with an old Yamaha Jacket and some gym gloves (for convenience rather than safety since I noticed the palms getting dry and rough after long drives). I'm not really aware of any riding gear brands (except may be Cramster). Google isn't helping me either. I would like to buy a full set along with my new bike (still confused between ZMR or Avenger). Could someone please list the respectable brands of riding gears through all price ranges?

Thanks in advance

Edit:

Managed to find these three websites. Are they good? Except Studds, the other two are new names to me.

Bikeznall www.bikeznall.com
Planet DSG www.planetdsg.com
Studds Accessories www.studds.com
How did google fail to nail these two???

http://bachoomotors.com/
http://www.performanceracing.in/

Old 24th November 2012, 21:35   #1064
Senior - BHPian

New Riding store in Bangalore

FYI,
There is a new riding store in Bangalore now called as "Lets Gear Up". Run by a biking enthusiast couple. Had been there and they are selling DSG Gear, Spartan Gears, AS, K&N, SOL helmets, Dirt Sack Bags, etc.
Adding few pics of the store and the link to it.

http://www.letsgearup.in
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-565624_10151165995063963_1565394843_n.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-566133_10151165995048963_2111520520_n.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-565272_10151165995038963_314969800_n.jpg  

Last edited by rk_sans : 24th November 2012 at 21:48.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2012, 01:22   #1065

Re: New Riding store in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
FYI,
There is a new riding store in Bangalore now called as "Lets Gear Up". Run by a biking enthusiast couple. Had been there and they are selling DSG Gear, Spartan Gears, AS, K&N, SOL helmets, Dirt Sack Bags, etc.
Adding few pics of the store and the link to it.

http://www.letsgearup.in
Nice. Good to see additional stores (apart from the famous Orion Motors and X-torque) coming up in Bangalore for ridng accessories. Will check it out soon.

Btw Picked a RJays Swift from Orion Motors a Couple of Weeks back (INR 5000). Must admit, the Jacket is pretty nice for Bangalore Weather. Now on the look out for a nice Touring Gloves, Knee Gaurds and Boots.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks