Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2013, 19:37   #1141
BANNED

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Ajay, from where did you get those shoes? What was the price? I am yet to finalize one & due to my riding taken back seat, I am taking my sweet time, hence scouring.

Thanks
Sheel i got it from http://www.fuelpowersports.com and friend in US took the delivery and shipped me via bombino express, shoes costed me 129$, they are giving nice discount on old models of Jackets, shoes, pants, gloves etc. Have look at it.
Old 7th March 2013, 18:42   #1142
Senior - BHPian

Re: DSG - Waterproof riding pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Just saw these on the DSG site - Waterproof riding pants - http://www.planetdsg.com/dsg-nero-wa...ts-p-1606.html

Looks like a good deal. Not worried about the armour since I have knee armour anyways. The waterproof part is what attracts me. Will be good all-weather pants.

Anyone bought this? Reviews?
I'd bought these pants in December before my Coast to Coast ride. They did a great job and weren't really hot at all. Loved it - though a small problem - the elastic at the waist just lost its elasticity!

The pants went from being a snug fit to me having to constantly pull em up like some small kid with large shorts on! I contacted DSG who dilly-dallied (and still are) about it and finally have asked me to send back the pants to them. They said they might repair or replace as the case may be. But it is really bugging to follow up with them. I still have the pants with me.

Any of you have contacts or know someone who can help me out at DSG? Would really appreciate if you can PM me or put across a word to get things moving.
Old 20th March 2013, 20:15   #1143
Senior - BHPian

Re: DSG - Waterproof riding pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Any of you have contacts or know someone who can help me out at DSG? Would really appreciate if you can PM me or put across a word to get things moving.
I finally had to shell out Rs.400 from my pocket to send the pants back to DSG. I find it quite pathetic that they didn't offer to collect it from me through Orion motors. That would have been way easier. Well, this teaches me a lesson.

Will keep everyone posted on what transpires.
Old 20th March 2013, 23:30   #1144
BHPian

Just to update all riders...Outdoor Travel Gear (based in Mumbai) is running a sale on their entire range of products at a flat 20% discount. My favorite pick among their entire available range is the Knox armor.

I personally picked up for myself the Knox Cross Max Bionic Knee / Shin Guard http://www.outdoortravelgear.com/pro...y/162/487.aspx & the Dry Max base layer fitting top (long sleeve) http://www.outdoortravelgear.com/pro...s/131/765.aspx

Worth a look guys...

I'm looking to buy mesh riding pants and have so far zeroed in on two pieces that I think should do the job - Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 & AGV Sport Pant - SOLARE TEXTILE

Have already gone through the videos of these 2 pieces on http://www.revzilla.com/adv-sport-touring-gear

Both these pieces are available at the performance racing store in Mumbai and surprisingly the price difference between what they sell in the US and India is not much (even at the current exchange rates). With a local purchase, I'll atleast be assured of the fit & sizing.

Look forward to suggestions / comments from fellow riders.

Note from Support - Posts merged. You can use the edit button and add more content to your post within 30 mins of submitting it.

Last edited by n_aditya : 21st March 2013 at 15:21. Reason: Posts merged.
REManiac78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 21:46   #1145

Folks in Bangalore - Beware of Helmet Paradise shop on Lalbagh Road. This guy jacks up the price of helmets upwards of 25-30 percent and then claims that he offers a discount. The behaviour of the sales staff is very atrocious. They are there only to fleece the customers by providing incorrect and misleading information. I checked with 3-4 other outlets to get the correct price of a LS2 Helmet 351-1 model Matt Black finish. I finally picked it from Megha Helmet shop on Lalbagh road for 2.7K. The elderly shop owner was atleast very courteous in showing and explaining the safety features of the helmet. At the onset itself, he said that he has fixed price that is comparable with other genuine sellers. I think that folks should unite to boycott this Helmet Paradise dealer.
Old 26th March 2013, 18:32   #1146
BHPian

I am looking to buy a couple of riding pants - one for me and the other for my wife. I am looking for something that we can wear irrespective of whether its hot or cold. So basically, a pair of pants with detachable thermal liners. The pants need not be waterproof since we never ride in the rain. Leather is ruled out so its either mesh or textile pants. I will be getting them from the US, budget is around 150$ each. Any suggestions?
Old 26th March 2013, 19:17   #1147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
I am looking to buy a couple of riding pants - one for me and the other for my wife. I am looking for something that we can wear irrespective of whether its hot or cold. So basically, a pair of pants with detachable thermal liners. The pants need not be waterproof since we never ride in the rain. Leather is ruled out so its either mesh or textile pants. I will be getting them from the US, budget is around 150$ each. Any suggestions?
I have these. Duratex with removable lining and soft protectors at knee etc. Better at cruising and avoiding rashes, not for aggressive racing. These are made in pakistan by some company called himalaya. I have ridden with these on top of a jeans in close to freezing temperatures and was very comfortable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-W...08459c&vxp=mtr
vivekiny2k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 20:26   #1148
BHPian

Went to Biking Spirit Touring Equipment store in Brigade Gardens building, on church street, Bangalore today. Had planned to get their ECHO 17 non magnetic tank bag. Met with the store owner Rishab who is a tourer himself and has a vast knowledge about the riding gear and other motorcycling stuff. Very customer friendly and frank in his approach and always suggested better options.

So I finally got the Echo 07 tank bag instead of the Echo 17 since for the duke it was sufficient. Also wanted to check out riding pants. Fell for the Spartan Odyseus in black color, with Knox armor but was in a dilemma how to get it today since I hadn't carried a backpack. Finally decided to put the tank bag to use and carried the thermal lining and my denims in the tank bag while I rode with the Spartan pants.

Rishab helped me out with the tank attachment. The material doesnt even scratch the tank and the design is well thought out. While riding back home did not feel any awkwardness or uncomfortable due to the new bag. Also this bag can store a dSLR with ease, the main reason why I got it.

The spartan pants were great and only time will tell about their durability but the pants were a perfect fit for me and while riding back was totally comfortable unlike the times when I used those knee armors. Now Im never switching back to them.

Also got their brand Visor sleeve which is padded and can be used to store visors while riding.

The store has entire range of Muc-OFF products, paraffin engine oil, K&N filters, SOL helmets, Tourmaster jackets, and other products are also in the pipeline.

Last but not the least, something that I liked about the store policies is their environmental friendliness - They use recyclable paper for their tags, and recycled material in their entire construction of the store.

For more info: - contact Rishab at Bikingspirit.in and email bste.blr@gmail.com.
Parthasarathig is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 21:05   #1149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Went to Biking Spirit Touring Equipment store in Brigade Gardens building, on church street, Bangalore today.
I happened to see this store a few months back while walking on Church Street but unfortunately the store was locked. There was some custom installation being done on a Hyosung ST7 in the parking lot.

Those spartan pants you bought, are they the camo version?

Do these pants have vents? Interested to know how comfy these pants are in peak summer.
Old 26th March 2013, 21:57   #1150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

Do these pants have vents? Interested to know how comfy these pants are in peak summer.
No I hated the camo ones. That's the reason I wanted to go for the denims which I was asking you about at the meet. But Rishab told me that the textile ones are better and just asked me to try them on. Fell in love instantly.

Yes they do have vents and I rode them in peak hour traffic in the evening today. Did not feel uncomfortable at all but did feel sweaty once I took them off after reaching home. But I'm optimistic about cooling on the highway rides due to well placed vents.

The advantage of this pants was that in peak hour traffic usually I'm barbecuing my thighs, but not today. That was a pleasant surprise. Even with the fan on I didn't feel the heat waves at all. If it was denim, it would've been back to the oven for me.

I need to test out their long distance comfort though depending on which I shall decide whether to go for cycling shorts or not. I shall let you know shortly and since I get time only to ride around the afternoon, it shall be a good test for the summer riding comfort.

his store also has GoPro camera range and X-Ram mounts. Saw it in person today. That is some durable stuff, the ram mounts. Will also be buying that soon

All I need now are some good riding boots like the ones you have Then my biking wardrobe shall be complete.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 26th March 2013 at 22:02.
Parthasarathig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 09:15   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

I happened to see this store a few months back while walking on Church Street but unfortunately the store was locked. There was some custom installation being done on a Hyosung ST7 in the parking lot.

Another query did not know where exactly to post it. His store had a dry Ptfe lube from muc off. Although its just 100 bucks more than motul chain lube, this product doesnt spill on the rims at all and is totally dry stuff. Have you ever tried such a product? What would you advise?

Plus he was showing these paraffin lubricants 1400 bucks a litre. He was telling they are good for touring and he had used them in his R15 for almost 9000 kms. Any opinions on this?

About his store being closed when you went, he apologised saying that he is mostly out in the parking area having a smoke when the rush is less. The store next door is his brother's. So he is there also sometimes.

Please move this post to the relevant section of OT here.
Old 27th March 2013, 10:05   #1152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another query did not know where exactly to post it. His store had a dry Ptfe lube from muc off. Although its just 100 bucks more than motul chain lube, this product doesnt spill on the rims at all and is totally dry stuff. Have you ever tried such a product? What would you advise?

Plus he was showing these paraffin lubricants 1400 bucks a litre. He was telling they are good for touring and he had used them in his R15 for almost 9000 kms. Any opinions on this?
Will pay him a visit this weekend and let you know

Regarding the lube, the best products according to www.ninjette.org are Maxima Chain Spray and the DuPont Teflon Chain Saver.

Here is a review if you're interested.

I managed to locate an importer for the DuPont chain saver but it costs around 1200 bucks per canister. The importer in Blore said he needs a min. order like 5-10 cans. Since the cost was too high, almost double the price of motul and no one else were interested in a group buy, i did not pursue it further.

Personally i use motul and am happy with it. The wheels do get dirty but cleaning them is not very cumbersome. Some Pril diluted with water does the job very well.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 13:31   #1153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also this bag can store a dSLR with ease, the main reason why I got it.
I would say, avoid using the tank bag for dSLR, the jerk/vibrations/bad roads may damage your camera.
Old 27th March 2013, 15:19   #1154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also this bag can store a dSLR with ease, the main reason why I got it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
I would say, avoid using the tank bag for dSLR, the jerk/vibrations/bad roads may damage your camera.
and Partha, if you still intend to use the tank bag to carry your DSLR ensure it is neatly packed within a few layers of clothing / hand towels so it will be protected from shocks and bumps while riding on bad roads.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 15:38   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
Fell for the Spartan Odyseus in black color, with Knox armor but was in a dilemma how to get it today since I hadn't carried a backpack.
Didn't know that Spartan made riding pants in black. Their website doesn't list black as an option. Was considering getting riding pants from the US but will check these out too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks