Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2014, 09:17   #1456
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I am not sure if anyone sells only the armor (separately) but do check with Spartan Pro Gear. They had an option to upgrade the armor in their gear to Knox armor.
That KNOX armour upgrage is only for the spine.Costs 1500 rupees
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 12:16   #1457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
That KNOX armour upgrage is only for the spine.Costs 1500 rupees
True. The Helios now comes standard with KNOX elbow and shoulder protectors. The spine has a dual density armor which can be upgraded to Level 1 or Level 2 armor as well. The revised Hyperion, though, now sports all KNOX armor at elbow, shoulder and back (Level 1) as standard
Old 18th February 2014, 20:14   #1458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
However, I've an ultra loose fit around the elbow (I assume this is what you mean by arms) from day one for which SPG offered a solution, but, I couldn't make that 90 Km round trip (and have never visited ECR in last 1.5 years lol) just to get the work around done.
Yes, elbows is what I meant. What work-around did they suggest. It is a little too loose. Might have to do some jugaad myself.

Quote:
Just noticed this; amazing & hats off Please elaborate the trip, I would love to hear your achievement.
Ah nothing great like some of your rides . This was done in December 2012. I had put up the RR - South Indian Coast to Coast ride - 1975 kms, 7 days, 3 states.
Old 19th February 2014, 07:01   #1459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yes, elbows is what I meant. What work-around did they suggest. It is a little too loose. Might have to do some jugaad myself
I'll explain it through pictures, but for now, in the velcro, the loop is in great length than the hook. So I was suggesting to restitch the loop to match the hook of the velcro so that it remains tight at the elbow at the same time it involved in cutting the additional length. But then SPG asked me to bring the jacket & they said they will fold the additional length & restitch the loop of velcro thus by matching the size. But I couldn't make to their showroom till date during business hours...for nearly 1.5 years lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Ah nothing great like some of your rides . This was done in December 2012. I had put up the RR - South Indian Coast to Coast ride - 1975 kms, 7 days, 3 states.
There's no comparison involved, to each his own & only thing matters is, one should not try doing something, just because someone else is doing & you want to be like them. I recently did the entire West coast of India & hence was interested. Do you have a T'Log? I would love to go through it please. And what is RR? (Regulator & Rectifier? hehe)

Edit - Never mind, got it - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-3-states.html
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 17:43   #1460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But then SPG asked me to bring the jacket & they said they will fold the additional length & restitch the loop of velcro thus by matching the size. But I couldn't make to their showroom till date during business hours...for nearly 1.5 years lol
Yes, will do some restitching - lets see if I can get someone to do it.

Quote:
Do you have a T'Log? I would love to go through it please. And what is RR? (Regulator & Rectifier? hehe)

Edit - Never mind, got it
Haha, Ride Report
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 16:16   #1461
BHPian

Hi

I need to buy a pair of riding boots. I was hoping to save some money and get the Spartan zeus sport boots. Does anybody have any experience with them? Would you recommend getting them? Or should I spend more and get something else? The other readily available option is the Alpinestar SMX6.

Thanx
Old 21st February 2014, 18:28   #1462
Senior - BHPian

Hello all,i am looking for a riding jacket in between 4-6K.Spartan Icarus and Helios are options.Anything else?
Old 23rd February 2014, 00:47   #1463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Hello all,i am looking for a riding jacket in between 4-6K.Spartan Icarus and Helios are options.Anything else?
Zeus all terrain is also a good option at 6500rs

Any views from other members as to which is better, the SPG Helios vs Zeus all terrain ?
And a comparo of SPG Perseus knee guard vs the Zeus bionic knee guard?

Are bionic knee guard are any good for walking around or they need to be removed once the rider is off the motorcycle.
Do they allow for gripping the tank with the thighs? Tank scratching issues ?

All these doubts are making me sway more towards SPG Perseus though they don't provide any shin protection.

Last edited by Akhilash95 : 23rd February 2014 at 00:57.
Old 23rd February 2014, 08:26   #1464
BHPian

Quote:
The Helios is priced at Rs.6800/- now. Would suggest you to look at the Cramster Breezer as well. They have updated their design a little, and quality is much more consistent now. Icarus at Rs.4800/- is extremely VFM and good for everyday use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
Zeus all terrain is also a good option at 6500rs

Any views from other members as to which is better, the SPG Helios vs Zeus all terrain ?
And a comparo of SPG Perseus knee guard vs the Zeus bionic knee guard?

Are bionic knee guard are any good for walking around or they need to be removed once the rider is off the motorcycle.
Do they allow for gripping the tank with the thighs? Tank scratching issues ?

All these doubts are making me sway more towards SPG Perseus though they don't provide any shin protection.
The Helios would be much more comfortable because of the mesh construction. Additionally the use of KNOX armors (elbow+shoulders) in the Helios is a huge plus point. I would buy this jacket for the KNOX alone! The back armor can be upgraded from the stock dual density armor to KNOX Level 1 or Level 2 armor whenever you wish to.

Almost all bionic guards scratch the tank. Some are comfortable walking around with, some are not. It is really subjective and depends on an individual.

The SPG Perseus again uses KNOX armor and is much more comfortable. It is meant to be worn inside your trousers and won't scratch the tank as well. Very comfortable to wear on day long rides as well.
Motormania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 02:50   #1465

Quote:
I'm also planning to purchase a jacket falling in that price range. The ones which I have considered are: Cramster Breezer 4.0, Dsg Aero, Phoenix, Spartan Icarus and Rjays Swift. The Spartan helios costs rs 6800/-, which is out of my budget.

All of these jacket seems to be constructed with a mix of cordura and mesh fabric. Also most of the features offered are almost the same. Really confused

So, could anyone please tell me which one should i go for ?. I plan to use it on a daily basis in mostly humid climate. Are there any other options under 6k?.

I've also ordered a pair of scoyco MC-09 gloves. Are these any good?
Old 24th February 2014, 07:35   #1466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren8 View Post
The Spartan helios costs rs 6800/-, which is out of my budget
Fortunately or unfortunately, this is the best value for money jacket in the present scenario. Good looks, offers good protection (tested once hehe). This is my minuscule experience of using it for last 32000 odd Km.

Quote:
All of these jacket seems to be constructed with a mix of cordura and mesh fabric. Also most of the features offered are almost the same.
See it's very simple; Codura blocks air, while mesh allows air flow. So you need to decide what you need. In a place like Chennai, where there's good heat all round the year, Mesh jacket is good, or Codura is good during Winter. Mix of it is good, but, the question you've to ask yourself is, what is the kind of Weather that I'll be riding predominantly. Once you get the answer for it, choice becomes simple.

Quote:
Are there any other options under 6k?
Let me confuse you further - zeusgear.in, but slightly over 6K. Please don't ask me for reviews, I haven't even seen them in person.

Quote:
I've also ordered a pair of scoyco MC-09 gloves. Are these any good?
No comments, Now that you've ordered, how easy is it to live with it rather than cancelling the order ?

Last edited by aargee : 24th February 2014 at 07:39.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 12:41   #1467
Senior - BHPian

Which are the best riding pants available off the shelf in India currently guys?

DSG or Cramsters?

AGV?

RJays?

Talking about textile (not mesh; leather panels preferred for impact areas), and 100% Waterproof (or what passes for 100% waterproof ....)

Last edited by ebonho : 24th February 2014 at 12:42.
Old 24th February 2014, 12:56   #1468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Which are the best riding pants available off the shelf in India currently guys?
I am using Spartan's and find them to be very good VFM pants. Avoid the AGV sport pants as I have seen many friends complain about poor quality stitching and construction on these pants.

No first hand experience with the brands you have listed though.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 13:03   #1469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I am using Spartan's and find them to be very good VFM pants. Avoid the AGV sport pants as I have seen many friends complain about poor quality stitching and construction on these pants.

No first hand experience with the brands you have listed though.
Same here. 2 of my friends bought the AGV pants together, and both had torn crotches (stitching) in no time. And the fabric simply gave way so no way to re-stitch properly.

Can you please provide links or photos and/or details (name, price, where to buy from) of your pants. A couple of friends are looking to buy urgently.
Old 24th February 2014, 14:06   #1470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Can you please provide links or photos and/or details (name, price, where to buy from) of your pants. A couple of friends are looking to buy urgently.
His pants??? Lol

Spartan Pro Gear is available in Bangalore at...

BikingSpirit Touring Equipment
35, Brigade Gardens, Church Street,
Bangalore - 560 001
Tel: +91 078 - 29000084 Email: bste.blr@gmail.comContact: Rishab Kannambille

Let's Gear Up
No. 810, Ground Floor, 27th Main, NIFT Road,
Sector 1, HSR Layout,
Bangalore - 560 102
Mob: +91 9901550880 Email: info@letsgearup.in Facebook:www.fb.com/letsgearup.in

Megha Enterprises
84, Lalbagh Road,
Bangalore - 560 027.